16 replies to this topic

#1 forklift_ole

forklift_ole

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:44 AM

He says his most painful moment is taking a slapshot from Edler to the face. Obviously he's blocked the testicle incident from his memory.

http://www.thehockey...-Sami-Salo.html

#2 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

He says his most painful moment is taking a slapshot from Edler to the face. Obviously he's blocked the testicle incident from his memory.

http://www.thehockey...-Sami-Salo.html

Sami had enough time with Edler to have shown him how to hit the net. I remember that shot. Thought he was done for good.

The shot to the 'nackers' was absolutely brutal. A long list of Sami's injuries doesn't do justice. I wish him well. He seems to have settled the T-Bay defence right down.

#3 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,522 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Meanwhile, he's actually caused an injury for once.

Too bad it was to Lecavalier, via Sami slapper to the back of the knee.
Posted Image

#4 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,035 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Edler has a pretty hard shot. I can't even fathom how much that would hurt.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#5 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Wonder what it felt like for Lecavelier to get nailed by Salo's slapper in the TBL game yesterday.
Posted Image

#6 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,998 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Haha he's so politically correct saying that his favourite NHL sweater is Tampa's :P
I was at the game where he got hit in the face. Gosh I still remember the hush that fell over the arena. People were just in shock I think. It was really nasty.

Glad he's found a new home in Tampa. Miss him on the Canucks though
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#7 Raiun

Raiun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

Haha he's so politically correct saying that his favourite NHL sweater is Tampa's :P
I was at the game where he got hit in the face. Gosh I still remember the hush that fell over the arena. People were just in shock I think. It was really nasty.

Glad he's found a new home in Tampa. Miss him on the Canucks though

I noticed that too, thought it was funny. Maybe he signed there because he loves the jersey? :P

#8 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

I noticed that too, thought it was funny. Maybe he signed there because he loves the jersey? :P

Yah that... or the money... Guess we will never know LOL
Posted Image

#9 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,100 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Not that it matters much, but that wasn't a slap shot. I thought I remembered it happening somewhere around the neutral zone area so I looked it up and sure enough Edler was dumping the puck in with a wrist shot. That was a sad game since Bieksa got cut in that game also and they lost 2-0.

Anyway Tampa are a bit more likable with Salo on the team.

#10 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

Not that it matters much, but that wasn't a slap shot. I thought I remembered it happening somewhere around the neutral zone area so I looked it up and sure enough Edler was dumping the puck in with a wrist shot. That was a sad game since Bieksa got cut in that game also and they lost 2-0.

Anyway Tampa are a bit more likable with Salo on the team.

With St. Louis and Stamkos on the team already, it is hard not to like them. Two very professional hockey players, and great persons.
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#11 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Anyone know if Tampa comes here next season? Would be great to hear "balls of steel" chanted one last time at Rogers Arena.

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#12 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,129 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Edler has a pretty hard shot. I can't even fathom how much that would hurt.

I can't say that I've ever taken a slapshot in the face from someone like Eddie, but I have over the years, been hit in the face by about a half dozen pucks. (and I have the scars to prove it ;) ) The funny thing is, it's not particularly painful, (at first) it's more of a stunning sensation, as if you just took a Mike Tyson punch.

Once the stitches are in and the freezing wears off, then the pain sets in...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#13 vcr1970

vcr1970

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I think Salo was a very underappreciated, underrated player while he was here.

I think we should have coughed up the $ and paid him what he's worth. I'd say he'd probably be the best or second best defenseman on the team right now.

Garrison @ $4.6 or Salo at $3.7..............I know which one I'd prefer.

Salo has 5 points and is leading the league in plus/minus @ +10

Garrison has 2 points and is a plus 4

#14 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,284 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:34 AM

I can't say that I've ever taken a slapshot in the face from someone like Eddie, but I have over the years, been hit in the face by about a half dozen pucks. (and I have the scars to prove it ;) ) The funny thing is, it's not particularly painful, (at first) it's more of a stunning sensation, as if you just took a Mike Tyson punch.

Once the stitches are in and the freezing wears off, then the pain sets in...

As I write this with a goose egg and stitches over my left eye, I agree. It wasn't too bad getting hit. Didn't feel too much worse than taking a soccer ball to the face surprisingly, but once that freezing wears off the throbbing just won't end.

Still not as bad as my friend who last game took it right to the teeth. Bottom 2 fronts went almost 90 degrees back. Definitely had me cringing (though he got better pain meds so he wasn't too bothered haha). Skulls can take pucks alright, teeth not so much. Youch.

#15 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:10 AM

I think Salo was a very underappreciated, underrated player while he was here.

I think we should have coughed up the $ and paid him what he's worth. I'd say he'd probably be the best or second best defenseman on the team right now.

Garrison @ $4.6 or Salo at $3.7..............I know which one I'd prefer.

Salo has 5 points and is leading the league in plus/minus @ +10

Garrison has 2 points and is a plus 4

While being a big Salo fan, as he is Finnish and all, I'd like to argue on those comments a bit if it's ok.

I actually don't think Salo was really under appreciated while in Vancouver. Actually one of the few that didn't get criticized that much. Ok, maybe about his injuries a bit and people saying he wasn't taking care of himself properly, and thus was partially his own fault that he got injured so much. Personally - I think that was BS.

Injuries bring me to his salary. And the comparison you made between his salary and Garrison's. I don't think that is a fair duo to compare. Where I would have paid 3M or something for Salo to stay, man the blueline and fire away on the PP. I'd expect my d-man to play 82 games, 1M or 6M salary or whatever. But Salo hasn't played a single full season in Van. Garrison again probably might be able to do so and not "leave" the team with a big hole to fill.

Garrison is still settling in and still played good hockey. He will be good.

Still, I miss Salo. Him being gone now hurts me almost as much as when Näslund signed with the Rangers. :(
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#16 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

I cant think of an all around better D man who has played for Vancouver than Salo..... He was so sound defensively , had a hard shot and could contribute offensively even though he played second fiddle to Jovo, Ohlund, Ehrhoff and even Edler to a degree.

He may not have thrown many body checks but his angles and smart play would rarely ever let him get beat.

#17 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,129 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

As I write this with a goose egg and stitches over my left eye, I agree. It wasn't too bad getting hit. Didn't feel too much worse than taking a soccer ball to the face surprisingly, but once that freezing wears off the throbbing just won't end.

Still not as bad as my friend who last game took it right to the teeth. Bottom 2 fronts went almost 90 degrees back. Definitely had me cringing (though he got better pain meds so he wasn't too bothered haha). Skulls can take pucks alright, teeth not so much. Youch.

I had my top two front teeth broken by a high stick when I was in my early twenties. I now have a permanent bridge which includes those two teeth and the one immediately to the right, as it was needed to anchor the bridge.

The worst part was when the dentist has to remove what was left of one of the front teeth, as it was broken off right at the gum line. In order to be able to pull the rest of the tooth, a post needed to be inserted right in the middle of the tooth.This necessitated freezing directly into the exposed nerve.

I've had root canals and fillings since then and quite honestly, they've seemed like a walk in the park, compared to what that needle felt like as it was going in....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.