The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Spotted at PIT/WSH game - Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman

Strombone1

Not that I'm 100% sold on Johansson either, but how hard does Schroeder or Malhotra play (currently, since his eye injury), and how much fighting does the team expect from either him or Schroeder?

I see a lot of offensive upside for a guy who would be the 3C on this team. He was drafted two spots below Schroeder in 2009, and has already played in 156 regular season games and 23 playoff games.

For a downside, he is not a feisty player, willing to drop the gloves etc but as noted above, the guys he would likely be replacing aren't expected to play in this way either, He also needs some work in the faceoff circle (40 - 45% per season) and he needs some improvement in his defensive game. These are things which can be overcome with coaching and him playing in a different/better system with different/better coaches and players to support him.

The Canucks could do a lot worse... and yes, a lot better, but probably not from a trade with Washington.

regards,

G.

I suggested earlier:

To Washington - Luongo, Ballard, one of Higgins/Raymond (to fill the loss of Brouwer), maybe a 3rd, possibly a contract dump as I think the deal as stated would put the Canucks over the allowed number of contracts.

To Vancouver - Brouwer, Johansson, Orlov, Hamrlik (cap dump), a 2013 2nd or maybe a 2014 1st.

regards,

G.

In response to the presence of Gillis and Gilman in WSH today, two beat writers for the caps reported that they have been told that all Luongo speculation is unfounded and they have made no inquiries as to his availability.

Thats great that these beat reporters are denying the caps have called gillis in order to drive down the price, but there are a few obvious things that go against this.

1.The caps goaltending is terrible

Holtby let his team down today with that third goal- for serious. Neuvirth failed last year and his play has been very fluctuant- up and down at best.

2.The caps are more of a "win now" team with obi, laich, brooks, Green in their prime years, they have years left but they probably do not want to wait 3-4 years for Holtby to get better- and we have all seen what Neuvirth is capable of.

3.They have the assets

4. Did I mention their goaltending is awful?

5.Their goaltending is awful- watch the highlights

Wilson replaces Raymond in the line up, the new backup goalie takes Luongo's spot, and Carlsson pushes Barker out of the picture entirely.

I think Rodin will be or has been passed by Jensen, Sweatt, Mallet, Friesen, Archibald, Grenier, etc., and Sauve's coconut did not recover from being hit by a car.

Schroeder has passed Ebbet and Ebbet will be come expendable when Kesler returns, however you are right, we are thin at centre for depth, but the team has Hank, Kes, Shredder, Manny, Lappy, and Higgins if need be, and Burrows now too.

Ya gotta give to get too, and I don't think we could get Wilson, Carlsson and their 1st round pick for just Luongo, Raymond and our 2nd.

Ebbet, Rodin, Barker, and Sauve were put in the proposal to try to make it worthwhile to Washington (and they are expendable, IMO).

Part of the problem is we have too many guys who do not play a feisty game as you suggest. When they do get replaced I would rather see them replaced by someone who does rather than another guy who doesn't. He has some upside but the holes in his game make him less desirable. The Canucks need to build a bigger, stronger, and tougher team next go round, not another finesse version of the Canucks. Just my opinion.

Sorry, but I didn't read all ten pages and this may have already been said, but I swear Gillis has stated that he would move Luo if he has the opportunity to make the team better "right now". IMO there are only three caps I can see improving the Canucks "right now" : (and no, I don't think for a second OV, Backstrom or Green are on the table) Carleson, Brouwer and Laich. I really doubt we'd get two of these guys but I'm no GM and a big trade with more than 2 canucks headed south could get us Carleson and Brouwer+ (+),, I guess.

I dunno, but it's definitely got me all excited!!!

Archived