392 replies to this topic

#271 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Laich would be a good fit in our lineup. Well-rounded, solid, not-so-expensive guy.

Laich has a 4.5 million cap hit....
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#272 gurmy_33

gurmy_33

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

I want Holtby because if we trade luongo we need a backup.

Edited by gurmy_33, 03 February 2013 - 06:59 PM.

#273 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

Laich has a 4.5 million cap hit....

If Schneider is traded, it's only a 0.5M margin.
If Luongo is traded, it's a 0.83333 to 2.0M margin.
Posted Image

#274 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

It's about chemistry, not statistics. :)

Best Regards,
allkill326

True enough chum, but the cap has to be considered as well. :)

An extra $1 million argues against Laich being a good fit regardless of chemistry, unless the Canucks were to dump a player like Booth. And if the Canucks picked up Laich, only to drop Booth, might it be said that they haven't really done anything to improve the team?

A player such as Brouwer (assuming he fits in) would make the left side with Sedin and Booth, a whole lot stronger than it is currently.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#275 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

True enough chum, but the cap has to be considered as well. :)

An extra $1 million argues against Laich being a good fit regardless of chemistry, unless the Canucks were to dump a player like Booth. And if the Canucks picked up Laich, only to drop Booth, might it be said that they haven't really done anything to improve the team?

A player such as Brouwer (assuming he fits in) would make the left side with Sedin and Booth, a whole lot stronger than it is currently.

regards,
G.

4.5M is cheap, if you think about the guys our team is giving. Luongo has a 6.5M cap hit as of this season, and Schneider has a 4.0M, meaning the cap can be covered through trading our players.

Cheers,
allkill326
Posted Image

#276 Brick Tamland

Brick Tamland

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,167 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

I want Brower, Holtby, and Brooks Leich

Yuk, for Lui? Brouwer and Laich are bottom 6 guys which we have LOTS of. I want a goalie, pick and one of their top 4 young dmen or one of their top 3 blue chip prospects.
I Love Lamp...

#277 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:09 PM

4.5M is cheap, if you think about the guys our team is giving. Luongo has a 6.5M cap hit as of this season, and Schneider has a 4.0M, meaning the cap can be covered through trading our players.

Cheers,
allkill326

LOL I think you need to look up your numbers before commenting all these posts.

A cap hit is the same over the entire contract of a player, and Luongo's is 5.3 million.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#278 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,965 posts

Cheers,
allkill326

That's a $5.33 million cap hit. He's earning $6.5 million in salary.

As I see it, having a left side with Sedin, Booth, Brouwer and Volpatti is superior to Sedin, Booth, Higgins/Raymond, Volpatti.

regards,
G.

#279 gurmy_33

gurmy_33

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Ok then Green Brower Holtby

#280 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

I'll have whatever you're smoking if you think Holtby is better than Luongo. If Holtby is what the return is for Luongo, that is incredibly sad and would be such a dumb move.

I'll have a hoot off that too plz

#281 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Yuk, for Lui? Brouwer and Laich are bottom 6 guys which we have LOTS of. I want a goalie, pick and one of their top 4 young dmen or one of their top 3 blue chip prospects.

If Gillis can get this wishlist then I'm all for it.

This being said, I suspect that were Gillis to press for the kind of return you suggest then we may be waiting for a long time.

regards,
G.

#282 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

Luongo
Schroeder
Raymond

Brouwer
Johannson
Holtby

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Hansen Johannson Brouwer
Higgins/Weise Lapierre Volpatti

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#283 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

The Caps need a goalie more so than the Pens.

Dare to dream about OV. Who knows, let's all remember if the great one could be traded, so could anyone else.

Lui, Ballard, Burrows, and a first would be fair IMO

if luongo is traded it doesn't matter who we bring into score..
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#284 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

Luongo
Schroeder
Raymond

Brouwer
Johannson
Holtby

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Booth Kesler Burrows
Hansen Johannson Brouwer
Higgins/Weise Lapierre Volpatti

I suggested earlier:

To Washington - Luongo, Ballard, one of Higgins/Raymond (to fill the loss of Brouwer), maybe a 3rd, possibly a contract dump as I think the deal as stated would put the Canucks over the allowed number of contracts.

To Vancouver - Brouwer, Johansson, Orlov, Hamrlik (cap dump), a 2013 2nd or maybe a 2014 1st.

Vancouver drops a lot of cap and an extra winger contract who will likely be gone anyways after the season is over if he stays here. They lose a good d-man in Ballard, but his cap hit makes him difficult to keep past this season.

Vancouver gets a solid 3LW and a stronger left side in general. Johansson gives the team a lot more offense out of the 3C position. Hamrlik can replace Ballard for the remainder of the season. Orlov can perhaps fill in at Ballard's spot next season. He looks to have some offensive upside.

Washington gets Luongo. Ballard would likely be useful to them this season, and next as they appear that they may have a high turn-over after this season is over. Higgins or Raymond can fill in on the third line.

regards,
G.

#285 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

If we're getting Johansson then we should give up Raymond who is a very similar player.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Booth-Kesler-Burrows
Johansson-Schroeder-Hansen
Higgins-Lapierre-Weise/Malhotra/Volpatti

+Prospect
+Top 2 round pick

#286 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

Because who needs depth, and an AHL Team?

Wilson replaces Raymond in the line up, the new backup goalie takes Luongo's spot, and Carlsson pushes Barker out of the picture entirely.

I think Rodin will be or has been passed by Jensen, Sweatt, Mallet, Friesen, Archibald, Grenier, etc., and Sauve's coconut did not recover from being hit by a car.

Schroeder has passed Ebbet and Ebbet will be come expendable when Kesler returns, however you are right, we are thin at centre for depth, but the team has Hank, Kes, Shredder, Manny, Lappy, and Higgins if need be, and Burrows now too.

Ya gotta give to get too, and I don't think we could get Wilson, Carlsson and their 1st round pick for just Luongo, Raymond and our 2nd.

Ebbet, Rodin, Barker, and Sauve were put in the proposal to try to make it worthwhile to Washington (and they are expendable, IMO).

#287 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:01 PM

funny that so many people are saying lui is going to be traded, people should just be saying one of our goalies will be traded in the deal

Edited by StopesisCanucks, 03 February 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#288 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

funny that so many people are saying lui is going to be traded, people should just be saying one of our goalies will be traded in the deal

A certain amount of truth to this, however, I'm thinking there's a far greater chance that Luongo gets moved than Schneider so it is perhaps understandable that folks sometimes slip up, or maybe they just don't give a crap. :)

regards,
G.

#289 clynch

clynch

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:05 PM

Schneider for Ribero or Luongo for Ribero + ?

A second of Booth Kesler and Ribero ( to do the dishing) would be awesome.

#290 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:10 PM

Laich, Wilson, Holtby (or Neuvirth) forLuongo & Malhotra

or

Brouwer, Forsberg, Holtby (or Neuvirth) for Luongo

There's no room on the wings for both Brouwer & Wilson down the road.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#291 gurmy_33

gurmy_33

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

if luongo is traded it doesn't matter who we bring into score..

luv your sig

#292 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,910 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:15 PM

Not that I'm 100% sold on Johansson either, but how hard does Schroeder or Malhotra play (currently, since his eye injury), and how much fighting does the team expect from either him or Schroeder?

I see a lot of offensive upside for a guy who would be the 3C on this team. He was drafted two spots below Schroeder in 2009, and has already played in 156 regular season games and 23 playoff games.

For a downside, he is not a feisty player, willing to drop the gloves etc but as noted above, the guys he would likely be replacing aren't expected to play in this way either, He also needs some work in the faceoff circle (40 - 45% per season) and he needs some improvement in his defensive game. These are things which can be overcome with coaching and him playing in a different/better system with different/better coaches and players to support him.

The Canucks could do a lot worse... and yes, a lot better, but probably not from a trade with Washington.

regards,
G.

Part of the problem is we have too many guys who do not play a feisty game as you suggest. When they do get replaced I would rather see them replaced by someone who does rather than another guy who doesn't. He has some upside but the holes in his game make him less desirable. The Canucks need to build a bigger, stronger, and tougher team next go round, not another finesse version of the Canucks. Just my opinion.

#293 laxgoalie

laxgoalie

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:19 PM

I suggested earlier:

To Washington - Luongo, Ballard, one of Higgins/Raymond (to fill the loss of Brouwer), maybe a 3rd, possibly a contract dump as I think the deal as stated would put the Canucks over the allowed number of contracts.

To Vancouver - Brouwer, Johansson, Orlov, Hamrlik (cap dump), a 2013 2nd or maybe a 2014 1st.

regards,
G.

This is a fair trade IMO. Except I'd rather keep Raymond, expecially if he starts to light it up.

6104d373-1a23-4efe-aa1c-cc63679010d4_zps716fa427-d766-42cf-a22d-90b1f8e9d39e_zps

#294 **Pavel4Life**

**Pavel4Life**

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

The Caps need a goalie more so than the Pens.

Dare to dream about OV. Who knows, let's all remember if the great one could be traded, so could anyone else.

Lui, Ballard, Burrows, and a first would be fair IMO

I love how Ballard is just thrown into every trade.

The guy is having a pretty solid year so far... I don't mind seeing him stay.
CFOO SIG FTW!

QUOTE (bugmo @ Jul 23 2009, 12:09 AM) And you are an idiot who can't see things for the way they are. It's people like you who make it seem okay for the canucks to have a non playoff making team every year. Gillis supporter go jump off the Patullo.

This was said to me and it makes me laugh everytime I read it.

#295 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

In response to the presence of Gillis and Gilman in WSH today, two beat writers for the caps reported that they have been told that all Luongo speculation is unfounded and they have made no inquiries as to his availability.

Thats great that these beat reporters are denying the caps have called gillis in order to drive down the price, but there are a few obvious things that go against this.

1.The caps goaltending is terrible

Holtby let his team down today with that third goal- for serious. Neuvirth failed last year and his play has been very fluctuant- up and down at best.

2.The caps are more of a "win now" team with obi, laich, brooks, Green in their prime years, they have years left but they probably do not want to wait 3-4 years for Holtby to get better- and we have all seen what Neuvirth is capable of.

3.They have the assets

4. Did I mention their goaltending is awful?

5.Their goaltending is awful- watch the highlights

#296 Noheart

Noheart

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Wilson replaces Raymond in the line up, the new backup goalie takes Luongo's spot, and Carlsson pushes Barker out of the picture entirely.

I think Rodin will be or has been passed by Jensen, Sweatt, Mallet, Friesen, Archibald, Grenier, etc., and Sauve's coconut did not recover from being hit by a car.

Schroeder has passed Ebbet and Ebbet will be come expendable when Kesler returns, however you are right, we are thin at centre for depth, but the team has Hank, Kes, Shredder, Manny, Lappy, and Higgins if need be, and Burrows now too.

Ya gotta give to get too, and I don't think we could get Wilson, Carlsson and their 1st round pick for just Luongo, Raymond and our 2nd.

Ebbet, Rodin, Barker, and Sauve were put in the proposal to try to make it worthwhile to Washington (and they are expendable, IMO).

You do realize Wilson is 18 right

Posted Image

BEASTLY!!!

#297 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:44 PM

Part of the problem is we have too many guys who do not play a feisty game as you suggest. When they do get replaced I would rather see them replaced by someone who does rather than another guy who doesn't. He has some upside but the holes in his game make him less desirable. The Canucks need to build a bigger, stronger, and tougher team next go round, not another finesse version of the Canucks. Just my opinion.

Yup, you express a valid concern and I agree with you. This being said, if the Canucks were to pick up Brouwer then they would get tougher. If Johansson was included in the deal, I don't see that the team would get any worse in that regard. I was working within the restrictions of what I figure Washington would be willing to give up in a trade for Luongo, and what are the current team needs.

For a center, I don't see the Caps moving Backstrom or Ribeiro, and I don't like their cap hit. I don't see Perreault meeting the team needs and Forsberg is probably too important to the Caps future for them to want to move him. Johansson looks like the guy who could help now, and maybe for several years to come (assuming he picks up his d-game).

regards,
G.

#298 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:47 PM

I love how Ballard is just thrown into every trade.

The guy is having a pretty solid year so far... I don't mind seeing him stay.

Not a question of not liking him, it's a question of can the team afford him anymore with the drop in the cap. :)

regards,
G.

#299 luckylager

luckylager

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Sorry, but I didn't read all ten pages and this may have already been said, but I swear Gillis has stated that he would move Luo if he has the opportunity to make the team better "right now". IMO there are only three caps I can see improving the Canucks "right now" : (and no, I don't think for a second OV, Backstrom or Green are on the table) Carleson, Brouwer and Laich. I really doubt we'd get two of these guys but I'm no GM and a big trade with more than 2 canucks headed south could get us Carleson and Brouwer+ (+),, I guess.

I dunno, but it's definitely got me all excited!!!

gallery_70188_515_1022.jpg

#300 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

What's the deal w/ Hamrlik? He's only laced 'em up in 3 games so far this year.

I suppose the deal could get bigger with Ballard going the other way...

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.