392 replies to this topic

#151 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Why do people want Ward? seriously he's grossly overpaid, im not a big Raymond fan, but i'd rather keep Raymond if he's only going to be replaced by Ward.

It's not about wanting Ward, Its about taking Ward back as a servicable 3rd or 4th liner and his salary.

Luongo has a $6.7 mill salary and $5.3 mill cap hit, Raymond gets 2.25 mill.

MoJo gets 900k on ELC.

Why can't ppl understand that you cant give away $9 mill in salary and get only $900k back.

#152 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,150 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Booth Schroeder Brouwer
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

4 lines that can score, check, and play physical. People that say we don't need another winger, don't know what a stacked team looks like.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#153 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

I think if we are trading him to the caps Gillis is targeting forsberg. Perfect age to come up the system and be mentored by the twins. MG seen what sundin did for them and they could do the same for another young swede with superstar potential.

our left wing depth chart for prospects is pretty pathetic haha i want forsberg

#154 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Since when do star goalies fetch borderline top 6 forwards??

Well maybe he means good prospect and good pick

#155 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,288 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:18 PM

All Caps media sources on twitter say that the team hasn't had a single discussion with the Canucks regarding Luongo.

But what do they know...
Posted Image

#156 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 71,001 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

This is really interesting.

307mg00.jpg

#157 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,940 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:20 PM

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Booth Schroeder Brouwer
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

4 lines that can score, check, and play physical. People that say we don't need another winger, don't know what a stacked team looks like.

I agree, that is a deep forward group.......that said, if he could get Alzner out of washington instead of Brouwer I'd be pretty happy.

#158 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 71,001 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

@ChuckGormleyCSN
#CapitalsTalk Capitals GM George McPhee says he has not had conversations with Canucks GM Mike Gillis and does not intend to.

307mg00.jpg

#159 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,528 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Because the sedins aren't one trick ponies. Their point totals almost double ovechkins when added together for an extra 2.7 million. On top of that, who ever is playing on their line's point totals are majorly inflated too. The guys who play with ovechkin have to just try to get in good rebound position because you know he's going to the net and shooting every time.

the sedins make 6.1 each. They can put up 70-80 points each and that will justify those contracts. ovechkin needs 110 and a little more playoff success to justify 9.5 million. A shoot first guy like ovi needs 50-60 goals to get there, the logic really isnt that hard to figure out.

dont get me wrong, he's a great player but 9.5 million means you have to be a great player all the time, no exceptions. crosby and malkin are that, ovechkin is not imo. He's looking more like a 7.5 million dollar player, that is an extra 2 million to spend on a line mate and the caps would be a better team for it.

It's not just stats. It's having a game-breaker and the diversity of offense and threat the other team has to manage that would make Ovi desireable. The Sedins on teh 1st line with Ovi on the second would be a nightmare for teams to defend against and you could always throw Avi on the first line when you're pushing ofr a goal. His physical presence and one-timer would be lights-out with Hank and Dank feeding him.

Likely a pipe dream.

#160 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:25 PM

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Raymond Kesler Burrows
Booth Schroeder Brouwer
Higgins Lapierre Hansen

Imagine if we get Tom Wilson or Marcus Johanssen back in that deal as well.. next year one line could like this:

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Burrows
Jensen - Kesler - Kassian
Brouwer - Johanssen - Hansen/Raymond/Higgins/Schroeder/Booth (depending on who gets let go/traded).
Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

or

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Burrows
Jensen - Kesler - Kassian
Brouwer - Schroeder - Wilson
Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

Hansen, Higgins, Raymond, Booth (again depending on who gets let go/traded).

These line-ups aren't absolute, but just made up to give an idea of who we'd have. We'd have so much depth, it's crazy.

Edited by LuongoCFan, 03 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#161 winthecup

winthecup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

I agree, that is a deep forward group.......that said, if he could get Alzner out of washington instead of Brouwer I'd be pretty happy.

what?
How is Alzner better than Brouwer?

#162 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

@ChuckGormleyCSN
#CapitalsTalk Capitals GM George McPhee says he has not had conversations with Canucks GM Mike Gillis and does not intend to.

This is probably about as true as Nonis/Burke saying they had total faith in Reimer/Scrivens as their starting goalie.

Teams talk. They might not be in serious discussions yet, but they still kick tires. Otherwise they're not really doing they're job lol.

#163 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,150 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

@ChuckGormleyCSN

So Gillis and Gillman fly 2500 miles to take in a Caps/Pens game, and their GM doesn't have one single conversation with them? I call BS. McPhee wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least inquire about Luongo.

The Canucks have scouts to go and watch games. Management wouldn't be out there unless there was some serious business to take care of.

Posted Image

#164 bolt

bolt

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Joey Crabb for Andrew Ebbett E5......

#165 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:32 PM

Lou's goin' to Chocolate City?

#166 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,150 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

Also of note, I'm sure Tallon is sitting there thinking about the possibility of Luongo going to a division rival for the next 10 years.

May put a little more pressure on Florida to do something.

Gillis is taking in the Florida/Winnipeg game next apparently.

Edited by DeNiro, 03 February 2013 - 02:38 PM.

Posted Image

#167 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Will be johansson, brouwer, and holtby for Lou and Schroeder

^ Worst trade ever^

A young inexperienced 15 goal scorer, a 3rd line plug, and a goalie with 25 NHL games experience in exchange for our franchise goalie and future franchise center?

How about Backstrom (6.7M) and Holtby (600K) for Lu (5.3M) and Malholtra (2.5M)?

Here is the logic:
Backstrom is currently playing second fiddle to Ribeiro in the Centre position. He is getting paid way to much to be a second line centre. Ribeiro has probably got 3 or 4 more years of solid play left and by that time Johanson will be ready to take the top centre spot. Plus Backstrom's contract lasts until 2020. 6.7M +9.5M (Ovi) is a lot of cap space tied up in two players for the next 7-8 years, ecspecially when the Caps have a ton of offensive talent already.

WSH gets the solid goaltending they need whle keeping enough offensive talent to make a serious run deep into the playoff's. Johanson steps up to play 2nd line centre in place of Backstrom and Malholtra backfills the 3rd or 4th line.

Vancouver gets a top line centre who can score and ends the goal tending controversy by aquiring Holtby. Maybe AV splits up the twins and puts Hank on the 2nd line or maybe he moves both Sedins to the 2nd and promotes Booth or Kes to the 1st when they are healthy.

#168 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

So Gillis and Gillman fly 2500 miles to take in a Caps/Pens game, and their GM doesn't have one single conversation with them? I call BS. McPhee wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't at least inquire about Luongo.

The Canucks have scouts to go and watch games. Management wouldn't be out there unless there was some serious business to take care of.

Exactly what I just pointed out. You're telling me that the Caps have given up 33 Goals Against (most in the NHL) and they haven't inquired about Luongo?? Yeah right.

He's probably just saying that so other teams don't feel pressured to go after him and the Caps can have Luongo all to themselves :- )

#169 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,150 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

The fact that their reporters denied it so quickly and adamently, means there is something going on.

The quicker GM's come out and try and do damage control, the more likely it is that they're lying.

Their GM likely doesn't want the word getting out, because then if a deal doesn't get done, he looks incompetant, and the goalies that they do have are left sitting there thinking that the GM doesn't have faith in them.

Edited by DeNiro, 03 February 2013 - 02:41 PM.

Posted Image

#170 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:41 PM

@ChuckGormleyCSN

hmmm if this is true, maybe PIT contacted us about another player. I dont see them giving up on fleury and wanting luongo. Raymond maybe?

Im not really sure how it all works but i would think there has to be a serious deal on the table for MG and LG to take in the game themselves and not send scouts. MG is a boss and wouldnt miss the superbowl to see the caps play for no reason. I doubt Washington would have said anything if they had a serious deal on the table. My guess is Pits has serious interest in another player.

Maybe they got invited to the white house for the superbowl and thought they would check out a caps game first? haha

#171 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

Starts with Brouwer and one of their top young players (Orlov, Carlsson, Johanssen, Forsberg, Kuznetsov). And throw in a pick.

May as well throw in season tickets and an Ovi jersey because with a trade like that the Canucks will be Washington fans come June.

#172 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

It's not just stats. It's having a game-breaker and the diversity of offense and threat the other team has to manage that would make Ovi desireable. The Sedins on teh 1st line with Ovi on the second would be a nightmare for teams to defend against and you could always throw Avi on the first line when you're pushing ofr a goal. His physical presence and one-timer would be lights-out with Hank and Dank feeding him.

Likely a pipe dream.

i didnt say he wouldnt be awesome. I just wouldnt pay a player 9.5 million unless his name is crosby or malkin and i sure as hell wouldnt gut our team to get him. It would reverse everything we have built in the past 5 years and that seems to be working better than what washington has.

#173 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

^ Worst trade ever^

How about Backstrom (6.7M) and Holtby (600K) for Lu (5.3M) and Malholtra (2.5M)?

While I admire the spirit of the deal I do not see Wahington going for it, and the cap considerations makes it difficult for the Canucks. Malhotra's contract is done at the end of this season, so what you are doing is adding about $2 million to the team's cap just as it is reduced for next season.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#174 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

I like to see both GM come out and say something.......not some reporter who may not know the whole picture

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#175 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,150 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

May as well throw in season tickets and an Ovi jersey because with a trade like that the Canucks will be Washington fans come June.

A trade like what? What do you think we're getting in a trade exactly?

Gillis has already said he wants something to help us now, and a big piece for the future. Hence a roster player and a top prospect.

But I'm sure you're an expert on trade values.

Posted Image

#176 brewdog

brewdog

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Here is the logic:

Backstrom is currently playing second fiddle to Ribeiro in the Centre position. He is getting paid way to much to be a second line centre.

Vancouver already has two elite centers. How can it not make financial sense for Backstrom to be a second line center in WASH, yet it makes sense for him to be a third line center in VAN?

Also, I'd like to see Schroeder score a goal at the NHL level before we label him our "future franchise center."

#177 ahf149

ahf149

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

What about Backstrom??
Life is short, LIVE IT

#178 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

lmao they are there for one of those teams

i dont care what some beat writer thinks , for all we know he thinks of luongo as a flopper or something thinks he doesnt hold value

they wouldnt go there for nothing
Posted Image

#179 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,528 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

i didnt say he wouldnt be awesome. I just wouldnt pay a player 9.5 million unless his name is crosby or malkin and i sure as hell wouldnt gut our team to get him. It would reverse everything we have built in the past 5 years and that seems to be working better than what washington has.

I agree that gutting th team would be a poor move but, while what we have has been better than Washington, there has been something missing that has kept this back. Based on the number of times failure to score has been an issue, a player like Ovi (pure goal scorer) could be the piece.

#180 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

damn i thought i was overpricing luo
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.