189 replies to this topic

#61 CanuckianOne

CanuckianOne

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Luongo is playing lights out right now. Why wouldn't you run with the hot goalie? I really doubt a week and a half would change the future of this team long term. Luongo will still be traded at some point.

Besides, him playing this well, would only drive up his value.

qpxLmDN.png

#62 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,467 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:15 PM

Not really surprised.

Start Schneider when Luongo loses a game.
Posted Image

#63 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

sure about that? I don't think in his plans he had Lu starting 5 games to Schneider's 4 this early in the season. Good GM's adapt their plans, his plan is to to trade who ever can get the best return to make our team better.

His plan, in his own paraphrased words, was that if both goalies were here for the start of the season then both goalies were going to fight for their position just like every other player.

He doesn't have to adapt his plan because this was the plan. The media created everything else and many fans spread it like the gospel.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 03 February 2013 - 02:19 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#64 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:24 PM

Perhaps MG and Gilman are in WSH discussing a possible CS trade.

To anyone who was confused after Luongo's 3rd consecutive start vs Black Hawks It should now be very clear who the starting goalie on the Canucks is.

#65 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

His plan, in his own paraphrased words, was that if both goalies were here for the start of the season then both goalies were going to fight for their position just like every other player.

He doesn't have to adapt his plan because this was the plan. The media created everything else and many fans spread it like the gospel.

Are you suggesting the gospel is truth??

This whole starting goalie vs backup is a media created nonsense. The guy who plays more is the starter. simple as that.

#66 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Apparently mgmt didn't agree with you in last years playoffs.

They didn't. How'd that turn out for them? Embarrassed by eights seed. If I was gm Shcneider would have been traded at the deadline. Luongo is better. Do u get that? He's on a different level. He's been elite since he stepped into the league.
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#67 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,149 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

So do Hasek, Joseph, Belfour, Roy, etc etc.

Not saying Luongo is necessarily on that level, but most of the "elite" goalies of the past 20 years played at a high level well into their mid-late 30s.

I'd argue that he is up there. Not with Brodeur, Roy or Hasek, but Belfour & Joseph, sure. At 33 years, he has the time to pass by all of them, except Marty and St.Patrick. One Stanley cup away from all that. Just one :rolleyes:
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#68 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:34 PM

Anyone who thinks MG is going to pull the trigger on any deal involving one of our goaltenders before Ryan Kesler and David Booth comes back is out to lunch on this situation.

Gillis hasn't even had the chance to evaluate his full and complete roster to assess which positions need to be addressed in return for a goaltender... And knowing how meticulous Gillis is, don't expect us to make any moves before we have a chance to see how good our team is in front of both Roberto and Cory...

If our team looks dominant, and I mean 2011 dominant, I can easily see Gillis standing pat and going into the playoffs with two elite goaltenders. The only difference is, Schneider is on par with Luongo this time, and if Luongo falters, AV won't hesitate to put Schneider in - say games like games 4 or 6 vs Boston.

Right now, it's Luongo's net.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#69 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

I suppose it's hard not to start him. He's been lights out lately. The thing is, I suspect he's on a short leash. If he has one bad game, you can bet Schneids will be right back in.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#70 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,911 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

^ 7 years is a big difference in hockey!

Someone doesn't know how to count.

33 - 28 = 5 year age difference.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#71 gocanucks1916

gocanucks1916

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'd argue that he is up there. Not with Brodeur, Roy or Hasek, but Belfour & Joseph, sure. At 33 years, he has the time to pass by all of them, except Marty and St.Patrick. One Stanley cup away from all that. Just one :rolleyes:

I'd agree with this. Although Cujo was a hero of mine growing up, so it will take a lot for me to accept that Luongo's surpassed him!

#72 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

Someone doesn't know how to count.

33 - 28 = 5 year age difference.

Someone is stupid!

33 - 26 = 7 year age difference

EDIT: Just to help you out some more: Luongo born in 1979, Schneider born in 1986. 1986-1979 = 7.

Edited by Kass9, 03 February 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#73 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Showcase the goalie that you want to trade.

Grasping at straws I see. Amazing how some people don't think Lu is the better goalie.
Posted ImagePosted Image
---------------------------------------------------

#74 tas

tas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,938 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

yes, trading luongo over schneider due to their respective ages makes some sense, until you consider what would come back for schneider.

if, for example, a deal with washington materialized and the canucks shipped out schneider for a return that included braden holtby, is that not a win win situation? you keep luongo, who looks spectacular, for the present, and you have holtby as a capable back up and he gets to be groomed under luongo the same way schneider was for the future.

#75 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Ok stop with the showcasing. He is not a rookie, he is an over 10year great goalie. And now he showed he can come big against the top teams. Now its just he is playing cus he's hot.

Are you serious? There have been some huge question marks for GM's (including our own) behind Lou's play with us in the last couple of years. If you think that a player needs to be a rookie to be showcased you're delusional. His play so far this year is showing interested GM's that he can still play and that he is worth more than they are offering.

#76 icycold

icycold

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

I think people here are forgetting one thing, this whole subject is much like selling a car off a car lot. You leave what you have on the lot and do your best to show them off BUT <--- at the end of the day it's up to the BUYER what car they want to buy.

If someone wants Lou or CS and has the deal then that's the deal.. simple as that. From what i've seen here in these couple of threads the other side of the coin seems to been forgotten, it really doesn't matter who our fave goalie is or who we want to see stay or go.
HABS SUCK!!!

#77 gocanucks1916

gocanucks1916

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

Are you serious? There have been some huge question marks for GM's (including our own) behind Lou's play with us in the last couple of years. If you think that a player needs to be a rookie to be showcased you're delusional. His play so far this year is showing interested GM's that he can still play and that he is worth more than they are offering.

Last couple years:
2010/2011: 60 starts, 38 wins, 2.11 GAA, .923 SV%
2011/2012: 55 starts, 31 wins, 2.41 GAA, .919 SV%

Also, he played 27 playoff games during that timeframe.

The only "question marks" have been invented by the media and nuts like us on CDC...

#78 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Last couple years:

The only "question marks" have been invented by the media and nuts like us on CDC...

Last couple years:

Still used by other GM's for negotiating purposes and Lou's play so far this year is giving GM MG the upper hand in those negotiations. Just saying.

#79 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

You know that they could be playing Lu to showcase how good he is right? To speed up the trade like they did to Hodgson. I doubt caps want a young goalie as they already have one

#80 gocanucks1916

gocanucks1916

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Still used by other GM's for negotiating purposes and Lou's play so far this year is giving GM MG the upper hand in those negotiations. Just saying.

Honestly, they'll claim "playoff choker" no matter what he does in a regular season game. I can;t imagine that GMs are really having their opinion of Luongo changed right now (save for his professionalism through the situation). And I also don't believe that's the reason we're starting him. In a 48-game season where every win is almost twice as important as usual AV and GMMG are trying to win, plain and simple.

Edited by gocanucks1916, 03 February 2013 - 03:14 PM.

#81 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:13 PM

And people have got to stop crying bout which goalie will stay and which will go. Either player will fetch the team something that will improve the team. I don't understand this constant bickering Bout goaltending. Let gillis do his job.

#82 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:15 PM

Honestly, they'll claim "playoff choker" no matter what he does in a regular season game. I can;t imagine that GMs are really having their opinion of Luongo changed right now (save for his professionalism through the situation). And I also don't believe that's the reason we're starting him. In a 48-game season where every win is almost twice as important as usual AV and GMMG are trying to win, plain and simple.

Your point is good, just the fact that gillis claimed they did that with hodgson to inflate his trade value makes me think

#83 rawkdrummer

rawkdrummer

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

I agree, no other reason for Schneider to ride the pine.
Lu has been great but Schneider is very capable and needs to play too.

#84 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

See page 1 of thread and subsequent posts for a better understanding of what I've actually said and what I have been getting at. I agree that GM's will try to use Lou's choking as negotiating tools, all I'm saying regarding the showcasing is that MG can use Lou's stellar play as his rebuttal. But FTR, I originally said Lou is playing because he is playing so well and we are winning, something that AV has always done with our goalies. I merely said it is also a good way to showcase him. Now I'm being repetitive.

#85 Pavel_Bure 10

Pavel_Bure 10

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

#86 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,415 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

I love that they are riding the hot goalie, In a shortened season like this. I think it should be referred to as 1A and 1B as opposed to actually having a back up. I love the 2 goalie tandem, I am so used to Canucks being god awful for an entire month, they are already starting to roll only a couple weeks in!
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#87 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Schneider may be the "future" but guess what, by the time he reaches elite status all the star playing currently playing in front of him like the Sedins Burrows and Kesler will be on the decline. Those players as well as Luongo easily have another 4 years at least of good hockey left in them. Trade Schneider, improve the team in front of Luongo and try and win the cup in this 4 year window.

Luongo clearly is the one who gives us the best chance to win right now

#88 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

Honestly, they'll claim "playoff choker" no matter what he does in a regular season game.

I still don't understand how people can argue that he's a playoff choker. Luongo has an above .500 record in the playoffs, which is quite rare around the league. He has been in the playoffs five different years, and four of those five he has advanced past the first round. Only one team wins the Cup each year. Just because his team hasn't won yet does not make him a playoff choker.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#89 Beefcake

Beefcake

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

I think we should keep Lu and trade Schneiderman. In 3 or 4 years Lack or Cannata will be ready.

#90 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

not surprised. Lu is one of the hottest goalies in the league right now... i see this kind of like last years situation where cory kept the job even after luongo was healthy untill that game against nashville when lu replaced him. the kid will get back in there and if he's real solid he will keep the job. having 2 #1s is all about playing the hot hand

I think Smashian said it best in a post in another thread when he said theres no question Lu is a top goalie and you shouldnt be surprised he's playing this good. The best thing going forward for this team though is to move forward with CS just based on the fact that there is a switch in Lus head if he lets in a bad playoff goal, the flood gates open. It doesnt only get in his head but the entire team and the province of bc's head... Lu's a great goalie and a great guy and will flourish with a change of scenery but i dont think vancouver is the place to do that anymore. The teams last meltdown cost us a cup and we need to move on from that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.