The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No More Pennies Tomorrow, Feb. 4, Rounding Up Or Down?

DonLever

Tomorrow, the Mint stops sending pennies to banks and other financial insitutions. While the Mint has stopped making the pennies for a few months now, they were still sending them out to banks.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/money/Penny+demise+good+news+businesses+charities/7906195/story.html

So when will businesses do this rounding up and down of pennies? I suppose when they run out of pennies and can't get anymore from the bank.

And how does rounding works?

Is it like this?

.91 will be .90

.92 will be .90

.93 will be .95

.94 will be .95

.95 will be .95

.96 will be. 95

.97 will be 1.00

.98 will be 1.00

.99 will be 1.00

I work in retail and we have been told to always round in the customers favour. So if we're giving back change say 0.62 cents...the customer gets 0.65. If the customer has to pay 0.62 (or even 0.64), we only charge 0.60.

Weird but I guess it's to keep people from complaining.

Tomorrow, the Mint stops sending pennies to banks and other financial insitutions. While the Mint has stopped making the pennies for a few months now, they were still sending them out to banks.

http://www.montrealg...6195/story.html

So when will businesses do this rounding up and down of pennies? I suppose when they run out of pennies and can't get anymore from the bank.

And how does rounding works?

Is it like this?

.91 will be .90

.92 will be .90

.93 will be .95

.94 will be .95

.95 will be .95

.96 will be. 95

.97 will be 1.00

.98 will be 1.00

.99 will be 1.00

If I was a retailer I'd alter my prices so that the amount including taxes would come out nice and even.

Rather than charging $1.85 plus 13% for $2.09 I'd charge $1.86 plus 13% for $2.10.

Pennies have been useless for more than a decade.

Archived