The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No More Pennies Tomorrow, Feb. 4, Rounding Up Or Down?

DonLever

NDP MP Pat Martin is planning on launching a private member's motion to get rid of the 5-cent coin as well - http://news.national...ghts-on-nickel/

This makes no sense; the 5-cent coin doesn't take more than 5 cents to produce, and thus isn't debilitating to the Canadian Mint. Whereas it took 1.6 cents to produce a penny (thus wasting money), with 5-cent coins, the Mint is actually making money out of this air. Any more and my head would obviously explode from the notion that government can simply make money out of nothing (hello, Monopoly!), but hopefully you get the point.

I remember stuffing a giant piggy bank with pennies when I was a kid. Have no idea where it went now, must of been 40-50 lbs of pennies. I remember trying to ride buses with little bags of pennies, back when transit was 70 cents for concession. Bus drivers were not impressed, that was the last time I actually tried to use of my pennies.

Personally, by the time they get rid of nickels, we might have already moved on to a cashless economy.

NDP MP Pat Martin is planning on launching a private member's motion to get rid of the 5-cent coin as well - http://news.national...ghts-on-nickel/

This makes no sense; the 5-cent coin doesn't take more than 5 cents to produce, and thus isn't debilitating to the Canadian Mint. Whereas it took 1.6 cents to produce a penny (thus wasting money), with 5-cent coins, the Mint is actually making money out of this air. Any more and my head would obviously explode from the notion that government can simply make money out of nothing (hello, Monopoly!), but hopefully you get the point.

Since you will "loose" just as much as you "win" the 2-3 cents per transaction it should actually even out. You would be better off making less transactions (aka spend less) instead of hoping a couple pennies here and there leftover from a transaction might add up to anything.

Oh, and don't be shocked that in the future they start charging you for using that debit card. There's already a strong push to start putting in fees to use a credit card in the retail industry and fees for not using cash have shown up in places like Australia.

Well if paying by cash you will sometimes save a couple cents per transaction. It will even out. You won't save any money with a debit card at all. It evens out over time. Even at 3 cents per transaction if you average one is ten bucks you would need to make a couple hundred (more like up to 500) transactions to actually equal the amount of one transaction, and that's assuming the rounding is always in the merchants favour (which it is not).

If you pay by credit card don't be shocked if some places start adding five or ten percent on top for the privilege.

And of course if that happens you might have to pay to use your debit card too. Unless you have unlimited transactions by the bank but usually they charge you for that privilege.

Well if paying by cash you will sometimes save a couple cents per transaction. It will even out. You won't save any money with a debit card at all. It evens out over time. Even at 3 cents per transaction if you average one is ten bucks you would need to make a couple hundred (more like up to 500) transactions to actually equal the amount of one transaction, and that's assuming the rounding is always in the merchants favour (which it is not).

If you pay by credit card don't be shocked if some places start adding five or ten percent on top for the privilege.

And of course if that happens you might have to pay to use your debit card too. Unless you have unlimited transactions by the bank but usually they charge you for that privilege.

Archived