Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

No More Pennies Tomorrow, Feb. 4, Rounding Up Or Down?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yep but the cost of refrigeration is built into the milk.

I fully expect business to implement this system as soon as they can and market it as a "cash discount" where you get 5% off for paying cash or something of that ilk.

We will see how it turns out. But expect people to be pissed when it was put on them.

Apparently when they put this into practice in Australia they were charging outrageous amounts (like up to 20-30%) to use a credit card at every retailer no matter where you went.

Someone feel free to correct me but I would assume the cost of refrigerating the milk up to delivery is built in to the milk. After that, the cost of keeping it cool in store would likely fall in to operational costs and be accounted for in the standard markup on all goods that the store has. The fridges need to run whether people are buying the milk or not.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#62 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:32 PM

Anyone ever remember the Tom Green show when he dumped a big bowl of pennies into his mouth? Sick stuff.

I was gagging when I saw the show. :sick:
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#63 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,004 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Advantage cash so far though I noticed the Superstore at least always rounds up when paying cash so if you use cash you can look forward to up to 4 cents extra!

That's like getting a free plastic bag!

What a deal!

::D

Do people still use plastic bags?
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#64 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

Do people still use plastic bags?

Yep.

You mean people either....

A) Use dirty cloth bags to carry their FOOD in.

B) Use up energy, water, and soap cleaning them after each use.

Instead of

C) Re-using the plastic bags as trash bags in the smaller cans.

#65 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,683 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

Someone feel free to correct me but I would assume the cost of refrigerating the milk up to delivery is built in to the milk. After that, the cost of keeping it cool in store would likely fall in to operational costs and be accounted for in the standard markup on all goods that the store has. The fridges need to run whether people are buying the milk or not.

It's up to the store.

I just know that they have to pay the bank fees every time someone uses a credit card and they are looking to have the power to pass that on to consumers that happen to use that payment method. Whether or not it gets approved or whether people revolt over it is yet to be known.

#66 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,912 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

We're still using pennies at our store until we run out then we'll be implementing our rounding system.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#67 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

If they put in this debit surcharge, banks are going to have a lot less to play with; it's going to damage the economy as a whole. The entire reason I use a credit union is because I believe it is extortion to charge me a service fee to use MY OWN MONEY that they are earning interest on. I flatly refuse to pay any sort of debit fee whatsoever; I've walked away from purchases after the merchant wanted a quarter extra. If I have to pay to use a debit card, my money is coming straight out of the bank the day it is deposited.

I'm not so convinced the fee businesses pay to debit companies is any more signifigant than the amount of cash that gets stolen by staff. Even if they aren't so brazen as to rob the till (which isn't uncommon), there's a lot of sneaky ways a minimum wage employee can pocket some extra cash. I worked somewhere where a coffee came to exactly two dollars. Frequently, the customer was in a rush and just walked past the line and handed me a toonie. Pretty easy for me to just pocket the toonie and never enter the transaction into the till.

Edited by Number14, 05 February 2013 - 07:28 PM.

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#68 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:22 AM

Yep.

You mean people either....

A) Use dirty cloth bags to carry their FOOD in.

B) Use up energy, water, and soap cleaning them after each use.

Instead of

C) Re-using the plastic bags as trash bags in the smaller cans.

I'm not carrying manure in them...? :blink: How the hell are they supposed to get dirty enough to require a wash after each use?

Unless something gets spilled/broken or they just get dirty from general use (in and out of cars etc) over a LONG period of time, mine don't get washed very often and certainly not after every use. Maybe a few times a year. Mine also double as lunch bags getting my food in to work.

Plastic bags are just wasteful.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#69 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,422 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

I'm not carrying manure in them...? :blink: How the hell are they supposed to get dirty enough to require a wash after each use?

Unless something gets spilled/broken or they just get dirty from general use (in and out of cars etc) over a LONG period of time, mine don't get washed very often and certainly not after every use. Maybe a few times a year. Mine also double as lunch bags getting my food in to work.

Plastic bags are just wasteful.

Seriously...and wouldn't you be washing your food anyway?

#70 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

Seriously...and wouldn't you be washing your food anyway?

Any fruit or veg, yes and pretty much everything else comes in a container, box etc.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#71 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Need me to smuggle some in from the States?
Posted Image

#72 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

If they put in this debit surcharge, banks are going to have a lot less to play with; it's going to damage the economy as a whole. The entire reason I use a credit union is because I believe it is extortion to charge me a service fee to use MY OWN MONEY that they are earning interest on. I flatly refuse to pay any sort of debit fee whatsoever; I've walked away from purchases after the merchant wanted a quarter extra. If I have to pay to use a debit card, my money is coming straight out of the bank the day it is deposited.

I'm not so convinced the fee businesses pay to debit companies is any more signifigant than the amount of cash that gets stolen by staff. Even if they aren't so brazen as to rob the till (which isn't uncommon), there's a lot of sneaky ways a minimum wage employee can pocket some extra cash. I worked somewhere where a coffee came to exactly two dollars. Frequently, the customer was in a rush and just walked past the line and handed me a toonie. Pretty easy for me to just pocket the toonie and never enter the transaction into the till.

A retailer might ask for a 25c surcharge for a small purchase. The "banks" charge 15c or so to the retailer for every transaction no matter how small so a $2 coffee gets dinged the same as a $200 Ipod. I cant believe some people don't have 10 bucks on them for lunch etc. and get pissed off at the sandwich shop when they don't use cash or visa. You have options. Some customers are just looking for an argument.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#73 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

I rarely even carry cash anymore. I'm sure I'm not alone.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#74 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

Not the shops fault you only pay in one method. If they take debit they'll probably take visa and MC as well. So the shop takes cash, visa debit and MC and perhaps even a pre paid card and you get mad because your tiny transaction is by far the most expensive for them?

#75 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,850 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

If you don't carry around cash how can you do this!?:

Posted Image

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#76 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:30 PM

Not the shops fault you only pay in one method. If they take debit they'll probably take visa and MC as well. So the shop takes cash, visa debit and MC and perhaps even a pre paid card and you get mad because your tiny transaction is by far the most expensive for them?

Who said I only pay in one method? Who said I was mad...? :blink:

Perhaps the question we, retailers and government regulators should be asking is:

"Why are Interac/debit transactions charged more than other methods?"
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#77 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

If you don't carry around cash how can you do this!?:

Posted Image

I wouldn't do that. Looks like an arse.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#78 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

Perhaps the question we, retailers and government regulators should be asking is:

You replied to my post replying to a different poster so I thought that you were that other poster giving me a retort. (Number14). hahahaha

A retailer pays a % for a cc transaction (say 2%) so a $200 Ipod cost's them maybe 4 dollars.
A retailer pays a flat rate for a debit charge (say 15 cents) so a $2.00 coffee costs them maybe 7 1/2 percent. They will waive it if you spend 5 bucks or so.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 06 February 2013 - 01:44 PM.

#79 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,850 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:45 PM

I wouldn't do that. Looks like an arse.

That was the joke.

#80 J.R.

J.R.

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

That was the joke.

I'm aware....
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted Image

#81 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

The States implemented debit into their banking system as a means to lower the cost of banking. Simply put, ATMs and debit networks were deemed cheaper than bank branches/employees. The U.S. ended up selling us the technology, and charged us enough that it wouldn't be cheaper for us, but actually would warrant debit usage fees.

In short, we never owned the tech being used to do these kinds of transactions to begin with, we had to buy it. The customers pay the retailers, the retailers pay the Canadian banks, the Canadian banks pay the American banks, who developed the system.
Posted Image

#82 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,850 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

I'm aware....

Zebra panties says she likes a man with a stack of cash.

:bigblush:

#83 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

I have not used cash for over 2 years.
Posted Image

#84 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Young Money Cash Money!

I've always preferred to use cash.

#85 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

On a side note.

About 5 years ago Interac made a change regarding cc refunds

It used to be that when a customer returned an item that was purchased with a cc that the whole amount was reversed for the retailer as well but they changed it so now the 2% handling fee is not reversed. A returned $200 Ipod that was $226 including tax cost the retailer about $4.50 just for the transaction and they didn't even end up with a sale. Think about that the next time a store only gives you a credit rather than a refund.

Edited by hudson bay rules, 06 February 2013 - 03:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.