24 replies to this topic

#1 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,372 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

If you're a die-hard hockey fan, chances are you have been looking for some NHL equivalent of the NFL's RedZone channel. Considering the fast-paced nature of hockey it's pretty tough to do but Budweiser in Canada might have found a close alternative.

During today's Super Bowl, the brewery is going to reveal a commercial for hockey fans in Canada -- sorry Americans -- to get really in touch with their hockey teams. When your favorite team scores, you'll know whether you are watching the game or not because you can have your very own red light and horn.

All you need is the app from wherever you get your apps from and the red light. Oh, and $149.
From Canadian Newswire:

"Budweiser is all about celebration and great times. As a brand that loves hockey, we wanted to elevate those key moments during the game when celebration is at its peak -- the moment a goal is scored," said Kyle Norrington, Brand Director, Budweiser. "While fans are at home enjoying the game with a cold Budweiser, we want to offer them a piece of the action and amp up goal celebrations. Budweiser developed the red lights specifically for Canadians to make hockey more fun and exciting for fans at home."
A combination of leading edge technology and innovation, the Budweiser Red Light ensures fans will never miss a goal. With a WIFI connection and the Budweiser Red Lights App -- available for iPhone and Android users -- the installation process is easy. Fans just need to select their city (or two or three!) and follow the simple instructions on the app. Hockey-obsessed Canadians can rest assured they'll know when their city has scored -- the Budweiser Red Light's horn sounds and the red light flashes. Budweiser Red Lights also give fans a 'five-minute to game time' warning message.

At first, it sounds really awesome. But there seem to be a few flaws here.

Initially, if you're such a die-hard hockey fan, aren't you presumably going to be watching the games live? If so then the red light might be pointless -- unless you want it to add to your excitement. But you assume there would be at least a slight delay, which could diminish that aspect of it.

Secondly, am I the only one who thinks it might get just a little tiresome hearing a the siren go off multiple times a day for weeks? I like hockey and the sound of the siren, but man, that could get tough.

Then there's the possibility you fall asleep while your favorite team is playing. Say you're a Maple Leafs fan and they're on the West Coast playing the Ducks and you forgot or just couldn't stay awake. All of a sudden they score a goal at midnight and you're awoken to the sights and sounds of a firetruck barrelling through your living room.

My old-man gripes aside, it is a pretty awesome idea and if it works the way it's envisioned, it could be incredible to have. Bars in particular could really enjoy and use this.

If it works out well and is a hit in Canada, hopefully it could come to hockey fans in the States not long after.

#2 kanucks1

kanucks1

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

I know they look cool.

Are they $149?

If they are that's pretty steep.
Posted Image

CDC Fantasy League GM Chicago Blackhawks

#3 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

Should go well with this...

Posted Image

Edited by Wetcoaster, 03 February 2013 - 06:35 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#4 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,497 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:40 PM

Should go well with this...

Posted Image

so tempting light plus chair with 2 cupholders im in heaven

#5 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,372 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

I know they look cool.

Are they $149?

If they are that's pretty steep.

Yep. $149.00 + taxes + shipping

You'll also need an iphone or an android phone for it to work. Looks like no love for the blackberry

#6 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

or webOS ... or Windows Phone ... or Windows ... or Mac OS ...

Considering I have neither an Android phone nor an iPhone, I won't be getting this.

#7 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

or webOS ... or Windows Phone ... or Windows ... or Mac OS ...

Considering I have neither an Android phone nor an iPhone, I won't be getting this.

I understand. I like to stick with something that I know and that works. These newfangled gadgets are just a fad.

Posted Image

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#8 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

I understand. I like to stick with something that I know and that works. These newfangled gadgets are just a fad.

Posted Image

Yes, because Android and iPhone are at the head of the pack when it comes to introducing cutting edge technology :lol:

#9 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Yes, because Android and iPhone are at the head of the pack when it comes to introducing cutting edge technology :lol:

Never be deceived by shiny geegaws, dadgummit.

The tried and true is the way to go.

#10 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:13 PM

Already sold-out.

#11 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Fruit

• Members
  • 10,372 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

Already sold-out.

They will be releasing more on a weekly basis. Agreeing to this definitely makes me think twice about getting one:

In purchasing this device, I am aware that the Budweiser Red Light data feed may only be supported for a limited period of time, and will only work during regular and playoff games.

By the time it's all said and done it's close to $195 bucks. $30 bucks shipping! :shock:

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 03 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#12 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

POPULAR

So you're sitting at home watching the game, your team scores, and then 3 minutes later your $200 Budweiser flashlight turns on. Fun...

#13 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,721 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:33 PM

If the linking-up system works to about 1 second off, it's very much worth it and a great investment for any man-cave. I could also see pubs and bars buying something like this to make the patrons more excited about goals.

Of course, $149 is a very steep price, but of course, it's well worth it to the diehards and the rich.

#14 Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,102 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:32 PM

Budweiser really couldn't fork out some more cash to pay for NHL TEAMS PLAYING in their commercial???

Kershaw_zps0cb5a848.jpg

#15 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,563 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Looks pretty cool, also is Jim Hughson the commentator in the commercial?

#16 woofwoofmoomoo

woofwoofmoomoo

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

Is this a paid advertisement?

#17 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:11 AM

Wonder if they could offer one with the logo of a less crappy beer.

#18 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

why not just get a strobe light or something simillar from a place like spencers for approx $50 bux and just press a button when your team scores to turn on the light.

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#19 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

when did budweiser become the main beer sponsor for the NHL, seems like they've really ramped it up this year. Did molson canadian bail?
Posted Image
Movember Kassian

#20 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

when did budweiser become the main beer sponsor for the NHL, seems like they've really ramped it up this year. Did molson canadian bail?

Budweiser Canada is part of Labatt's and is not a sponsor of the NHL per the press release announcing the red lights:

Budweiser is not an official sponsor of the NHL™ or any other hockey league. This product is not licensed by, sponsored by, or otherwise associated with the National Hockey League™, any other hockey league, or any of their respective member teams.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1107951/budweiser-injects-more-celebration-into-hockey-s-greatest-moments-the-goals

#21 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,431 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

why not just get a strobe light or something simillar from a place like spencers for approx $50 bux and just press a button when your team scores to turn on the light.

Someone in our neighborhood (got it narrowed down to 2 or 3 suspects) blares an extremely loud horn during the playoffs when the Canucks score. It's kinda cool but it is extremely loud. Probably can hear it for miles.
biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#22 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

Imma getting one for sure!!!
Posted Image

#23 The Analyst

The Analyst

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

$50 - The Goal Light @ NHL.com and various stores... I got one... Same thing, I just have to press the button.It's fun holding the remote during the game and waiting to press it.... Just sucks if they never score.... I press the button when I score in NHL13 too hahah
gabriel_macht_live.gif

#24 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

$50 - The Goal Light @ NHL.com and various stores... I got one... Same thing, I just have to press the button.It's fun holding the remote during the game and waiting to press it.... Just sucks if they never score.... I press the button when I score in NHL13 too hahah

My friends uncle manufactures them at his factory in Asia, so I got it for free :P
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#25 EvoLu7ioN

EvoLu7ioN

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

I just bought one of these. My friend has one, they are solid built ( no plastic). Just have to watch the game with a 3-4 second delay.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.