Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Article] This is what Luongo means to some fans

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#31 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

That's a pretty touching story alright. I certainly hope it works out for the lady and praise be to Luongo especially if it does.

#32 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:21 AM

Great story .. great player .. we should never diminish the impact our "heroes" can have in our lives .. I think we need more heroes, especially heroes for our young folk ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#33 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Great article !!
Posted Image

#34 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

I imagine Lu will respond after he reads this. He has shown a whole knew side of himself since last years exit.

#35 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

very touching!

#36 MonkeyBusiness

MonkeyBusiness

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:31 AM

Congrats Leigh! Keep up the good fight.
Posted Image
Sig pic by -Vintage Canuck- Thank You!!!!

Love the Canucks!

Keep Loungo in Vancouver :towel:
http://www.ipetition...o-in-vancouver/

#37 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

Great article.

Wishing her a long, happy, healthy life....
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#38 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:08 PM

don't want to be an ass but there were much more inspirational things that happened even within the Canucks team

how about Manny and Raymond coming back from their serious injuries?

#39 apollo

apollo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,035 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Just Wow. I'm not surprised. He changed my life as well... he's such a role model, I'm not the least bit surprised to read this article.

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#40 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

Touching story! I wish her a speedy recovery and good health.

I've always found it ridiculous how much Canucks fans hate Luongo. People say he isn't mentally tough, but being a goalie in Vancouver is a rather mentally demanding job.

Many fans don't appreciate him and don't realize that he is a large reason this team gained legitimacy and a place amongst the teams in the league that players want to play for. Of course, he isn't the only one, as the Sedins and the Aquilini family have also played a huge part in that, but to dismiss what Roberto has done for this hockey club is either blind or ignorant. He is the first and only superstar goalie we've had to date.

Aside from winning a cup, Lu's numbers are up there among the game's very best in history.

RIP LB RR PD

#41 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,506 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I just hope Lu can win a cup here this season then we can trade him to Florida in the off season where he can retire with a cup on his resume.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#42 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

don't want to be an ass but there were much more inspirational things that happened even within the Canucks team

how about Manny and Raymond coming back from their serious injuries?

you may not want to but you are because of your dislike for Luongo. Those are also inspirational things too, but this women found Luongo as her inspiration. Every has their own.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#43 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

Awesome story.
258bdr6.jpg

#44 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Luuuuuuuuu

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#45 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

I just hope he can have another run in the SCFs or something. He deserves it, greatest goalie with out a cup. At least in the NHL right now..
Posted Image

#46 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:39 PM

I am ready to say at this point, if I wake up and Schneider has gone to another team and brings back the pieces that will put us over the top.

I will Luuuu once again.

And pray to god he gets it done when it counts.

Lol and when I was backing Luongo all the way you had him traded and bashed him.

Schneider is the next Patrick Roy remember.

I took a lot of flak on these forums sticking up for Lu. From posters like merci.

I just may dredge up old Luongo hate mail from the summer still...

Edited by Special Ed, 04 February 2013 - 10:40 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#47 smokes

smokes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I hope this lady will receive the best news possible and have a speedy recovery.

Luongo is the John Cena of Vancouver minus the Championships.
You either love him or hate him. One side boos the other side Luooooos.
If the Canucks trade him, I will guarantee you this board will be filled with lament sometime this season. If you all think the Cody Hodson trade was scrutinized. Luongo's gonna blow it out the window on this board.

One thing in my mind is that, unlike most players who
would sulk and whine about the situation, Luo shut up and played as determined as he ever was.
I think he be as good as ever.

When I look at Luongo I am reminded what William Beaman said on Any Given Sunday.

"And with the time I got left, I'm going to play my way. Get my dollars up. So when you go to waive me, trade, injured reserve me, or whatever y'all do, I'll be worth ten times what I was worth before I got here."
http://en.wikiquote....ny_Given_Sunday

Edited by smokes, 04 February 2013 - 11:31 PM.

#48 Magnum P I

Magnum P I

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:36 PM

Like him or not, he is the greatest canucks goaltender of all time. There is nobody even close to the stats and records he holds. 72 saves in his first playoff game for example. The guy has done more for this franchise than any of the so called canucks legends combined. That is not to excuse his mental lapses, and there have been some very frustrating and untimely ones, but overall the greatest canucks goaltender in history bar none. That's the truth like it or not.

Edited by Magnum P I, 04 February 2013 - 11:37 PM.

Posted Image

#49 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

What a heart warming story! I wish the best for her in the future.
Posted Image

#50 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

I have never liked a celebrity or athlete as much as I do Luongo. I can't pinpoint a time when it started, but even since his days in Florida he was quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite players, and all this hate towards him and his scrutiny these last couple of years have propelled him into the #1 spot for my all-time favorite ATHLETE.

I don't have anything heart-warming or anything that should be talked about like the story in the OP, but I will say that the one thing I have in common with Luongo is that like he, I have been scrutinized basically my entire life, and have always been told I wasn't good enough by friends, teachers, even my parents at times. So like the woman in the OP, I look to Luongo for motivation.

Hell where I live, if you're a Luongo fan you basically have a target on your back. Every single time I wear my Luongo jersey out in public I get some A-Hole making comments about either me or him. After the 2011 Finals I wore my Luongo jersey out to a grocery store the next day, and the deli worker, I kid you not, threw a piece of salami at me and said, "Take that talentless bums jersey off, you ass!" that's not the only case of something being said to me when I wear it, but each time I just smile at them arrogantly(think Tim Thomas in the Finals) and walk on with my day.
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.