58 replies to this topic

#1 Gibbster

Gibbster

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

From watching them both this season, it looks like Schroeder is faster than MayRay. That boy can fly!

#2 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

What a truly enlightening thread, Gibbster!

Seems like you answered your own question in one line.

In all seriousness, I think you're right - plus Schroeder is so much more shifty than Raymond. He's also stronger on his skates, and with better hockey sense.

All in all, he is a better player than Raymond, but Raymond has more NHL experience. Raymond's not bad but he's inconsistent.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#3 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,991 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

I, too, agree on the new J Schroe nickname of 'Shifty'.

#4 NP-4815162342

NP-4815162342

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:33 AM

Ballard is faster than raymond

#5 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:34 AM

What a truly enlightening thread, Gibbster!

Seems like you answered your own question in one line.

In all seriousness, I think you're right - plus Schroeder is so much more shifty than Raymond. He's also stronger on his skates, and with better hockey sense.

All in all, he is a better player than Raymond, but Raymond has more NHL experience. Raymond's not bad but he's inconsistent.

Maybe he's just getting the ball rolling. Douchey response.

I'll be watching more closely next time, but Schroeder's got wheels for sure.

#6 sedated

sedated

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:13 AM

Ramyond is fast back and fourth, but he has terrible agility and doesn't manage turns well, which is why you never see him blow by people despite his speed. Hansen is very fast and agile, and I've always figured he's probably quicker than Raymond. That's why you see Hansen break and blow past defenders randomly for his breakaways every now and then. Where Raymond.. well.. doesn't.

#7 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

Jannik Hansen.

Edited by Markus Alexander Cody, 04 February 2013 - 03:22 AM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#8 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:22 AM

Schroeder MAY be faster than Raymond (I doubt it) for the first half of the shift but I bet Raymond is leaving him behind on the second half. The guy's stamina is amazing and probably the best on the team. It would be interesting to do what they do in soccer over here and monitor their total distance.

In an exhibition circuit Balard just pipped a Raymond returning from his back injury. So technically Balard is fastest. He is certainly the smoothest ............the guy just glides up the ice and his speed is deceptive.

Raymond has it all.

Edited by Bodee, 04 February 2013 - 03:38 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#9 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Raymond is fast but predictable. He lowers his head and go full-steam north-south. You can't beat anyone 1 on 1 if you're stuck on a track (unless you're Dion Phanuef, lol)

Hansen is almost as quick as Raymond, but he can kinda shift into over-drive to where he can almost step another player on the outside. He just doesn't have the hands to pull those moves off unlike Gaborik, Vanek, Grabner.

I haven't noticed Schroeder enough yet to comment about his skating. His style of play has been compared to Patrick Kane, so I'm guessing a player who isn't super fast, but shifty and able to maintain the same speed with or without the puck.

#10 Spodermen

Spodermen

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:50 AM

Andrew Alberts

#11 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-agsouFgHMU

I believe Mason Raymond pulled an Alex Burrows move :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=brlv_7Qc4aE&list=PLBABD5B7ECF1CA70B

Ahhhhhh back when we both didn't hate each other like we do now

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#12 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,942 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:13 AM

Maybe he's just getting the ball rolling. Douchey response.

I'll be watching more closely next time, but Schroeder's got wheels for sure.

Sheesh... I was just kidding.

I tried to put my ACTUAL thoughts of who the best skater was afterward, instead of my initial reading of the thread, but that wasn't good enough eh? :(
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#13 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:03 AM

Hansen
Posted Image

#14 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 70,507 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:42 AM

Poll?

I think it's Raymond.

307mg00.jpg

#15 van19

van19

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Ballard.

His skating is so smooth and effortless, he takes much larger strides than most people when he skates.

Posted Image

#16 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,244 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

It just looks like he's faster because of his small strides, but I think they're about the same, which makes the two such a dynamic duo.

Did you see Schroeder's saucers to Raymond last game? Sooo siicckk
Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#17 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Yeah....... No. Schroder can skate well and has mobility, which is mandatory considering his size. But come on really? Faster then Raymond? Not a hope. Is he able to skate better then raymond at fast speeds, sure, but he is also alot closer to the ground. Its like comparing a Camaro to a WRX.

Edited by Kassian's Face, 04 February 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#18 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:08 AM

Schroeder MAY be faster than Raymond (I doubt it) for the first half of the shift but I bet Raymond is leaving him behind on the second half. The guy's stamina is amazing and probably the best on the team. It would be interesting to do what they do in soccer over here and monitor their total distance.

In an exhibition circuit Balard just pipped a Raymond returning from his back injury. So technically Balard is fastest. He is certainly the smoothest ............the guy just glides up the ice and his speed is deceptive.

Raymond has it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-agsouFgHMU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PLBABD5B7ECF1CA70B&v=S75vR_A4vSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=brlv_7Qc4aE&list=PLBABD5B7ECF1CA70B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PLBABD5B7ECF1CA70B&v=_CV1hajLbtw

I know this thread is about Pure Speed but your clips along with your comment "Raymond has it all" bother me so I'll comment.

Notice in all the clips you posted, Mayray never risks putting his body in danger?

If you compare Hansen's first clip where he blows by Phaneuf, he is going full speed with Phaneuf at his hip and still cuts to the front of the net. It takes a lot of courage to do this as if Phaneuf leaned on him or tripped him, Hansen would go full speed into the boards.

I have NEVER seen Mayray do this (show me a clip if I am wrong) and I think that is what bothers me about Raymond. If Mayray was in the same situation as Hansen, I would be willing to bet that he would stop at the half wall EVEN though he had half a step on Phaneuf.

I think it pisses me off that Raymond doesn't utilize the special gift of speed he has as this team could use another offensive weapon. I've seen so many instance where Mayray is flying down the wing with a half step on a defencemen. I feel like something exciting will happen and then.... nothing. He slams on the breaks and circles back. When you have a halfstep on the defence, USE it.

#19 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:11 AM

It just looks like he's faster because of his small strides, but I think they're about the same, which makes the two such a dynamic duo.

It was Sedin like how he floated it across the width of the arena.

I was thinking AV probably said to him, don't even try that unless you are 22 or 33.
Thank god that pass didnt get picked off for an odd man rush or Shroeder would have been parked on the bench.

Shroeder has unreal vision and I can see some great hockey sense and skills. Hopefully, he pays his dues and AV lengthens the short leash he has on rookies.

#20 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:33 AM

Not many players in the league faster than Mayray.

#21 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

Nine times out of ten Raymond will be the faster skater, but nine times out of ten I would want Hansen going for that shorthanded breakaway instead of Raymond. Even with his hard hands Hansen is still way more effective with his speed.

#22 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Ballard is faster than raymond

And Weise is fastest of them all.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#23 disisdayear

disisdayear

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

When it comes to straight up north-south speed, I would say Raymond is the fastest. But this is nothing more than an all-star game skills competition, which at the end of the day doesn't really amount to a whole lot.

Speed, at least to me, is only one component of a player's skating skills. Other elements such as lateral quickness and ability to change direction without losing speed (i.e., shiftiness); generating speed off the first stride from a standing position; having multiple gears; and the ability to generate speed in tight quarters are equally important.

So, if you are to evaluate Raymond on all these skating attributes, I would say he falls into the top quartile of NHL players, but not in the top 10%.

The only player to ever wear a Canucks jersey that qualifies in the top 10% is Pavel Bure...

For my money the best I've seen in the last 25 years are Bure, Denis Savard, Paul Coffey, Glenn Anderson, Paul Kariya and Sidney Crosby.

#24 **Pavel4Life**

**Pavel4Life**

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:19 AM

Hansen
CFOO SIG FTW!

QUOTE (bugmo @ Jul 23 2009, 12:09 AM) And you are an idiot who can't see things for the way they are. It's people like you who make it seem okay for the canucks to have a non playoff making team every year. Gillis supporter go jump off the Patullo.

This was said to me and it makes me laugh everytime I read it.

#25 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,416 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

faster skater as in top end speed?

I prefer explosiveness

#26 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

Raymond, Ballard, Weise, Schroeder, Hansen

Just goes to show that speed doesn't make you a goal scorer.

#27 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

schroeder hands down for the win

thanks for making this thread, i couldn't sleep last night and was hoping someone would post about this.................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#28 CANUCK-EXPRESS

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Ballard is faster

#29 CANUCK-EXPRESS

CANUCK-EXPRESS

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:08 AM

Ballard is faster

#30 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

Ballard is was faster than raymond

Fixed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.