The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is the faster skater?

Gibbster

When it comes to straight up north-south speed, I would say Raymond is the fastest. But this is nothing more than an all-star game skills competition, which at the end of the day doesn't really amount to a whole lot.

Speed, at least to me, is only one component of a player's skating skills. Other elements such as lateral quickness and ability to change direction without losing speed (i.e., shiftiness); generating speed off the first stride from a standing position; having multiple gears; and the ability to generate speed in tight quarters are equally important.

So, if you are to evaluate Raymond on all these skating attributes, I would say he falls into the top quartile of NHL players, but not in the top 10%.

The only player to ever wear a Canucks jersey that qualifies in the top 10% is Pavel Bure...

For my money the best I've seen in the last 25 years are Bure, Denis Savard, Paul Coffey, Glenn Anderson, Paul Kariya and Sidney Crosby.

I know this thread is about Pure Speed but your clips along with your comment "Raymond has it all" bother me so I'll comment.

Notice in all the clips you posted, Mayray never risks putting his body in danger?

If you compare Hansen's first clip where he blows by Phaneuf, he is going full speed with Phaneuf at his hip and still cuts to the front of the net. It takes a lot of courage to do this as if Phaneuf leaned on him or tripped him, Hansen would go full speed into the boards.

I have NEVER seen Mayray do this (show me a clip if I am wrong) and I think that is what bothers me about Raymond. If Mayray was in the same situation as Hansen, I would be willing to bet that he would stop at the half wall EVEN though he had half a step on Phaneuf.

I think it pisses me off that Raymond doesn't utilize the special gift of speed he has as this team could use another offensive weapon. I've seen so many instance where Mayray is flying down the wing with a half step on a defencemen. I feel like something exciting will happen and then.... nothing. He slams on the breaks and circles back. When you have a halfstep on the defence, USE it.

Raymond has def been going to the tougher places on the ice this season. He is using his speed extremely well, whether it be to gain the zone on the rush, relentless forechecking, or creating space on the PP. Raymond doesnt fool himself into thinking he is going to make a power move against a bigger defender. Raymond has been creating tons of chances for himself and his linemates.

On top of that he has been far more selective with his shot. He is 3rd on the team in shots with 17 and 2nd on the team in shot % at 17.6%. Raymond is becoming very a efficient player given his ice time and linemates.

"I could drop my expectation of him and finally just come to terms that this is it. He will NEVER use his speed to create a scoring chance"

Schroeder says HI...........and Hi again. I have seen Raymond use his speed twice to give JS scoring chances and he did it often with Kes before his injury.

If you were to race Schroeder and Raymond in a best out of 7, Schroeder would win 4-3. Raymond would easily win 4-0 but he would fall down at least 4 times out of 7 giving Schroeder the easy win.

"I could drop my expectation of him and finally just come to terms that this is it. He will NEVER use his speed to create a scoring chance"

Schroeder says HI...........and Hi again. I have seen Raymond use his speed twice to give JS scoring chances and he did it often with Kes before his injury.

Archived