The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Super Bowl Contest Winner from Victoria Denied Entry to U.S. - Minor Pot Possession Conviction from 1981

Wetcoaster

Well, the oposite happened to me. As and American I lived in Vancouver for 40 years, and raised 10 Canadian born kids and I have 21 grand kids but when I went to see my mother for her last few days alive, I was refused entrance into Canada for a pot conviction in 1972. After spending $10,000 to reapply for entry(non refundable), I was still refused entry. I was allowed back once for 3 days for my WIFES funeral(could not come back to be by her side when she died). The temporary grievance pass cost me $500 and if I had not returned, I was threatened with 10 years in jail.

The stupidity goes both ways.

Actually American states do have jurisdiction under their criminal law powers (something that Canadian provinces do not possess) as this is a matter of concurrent jurisdiction. However in the event of conflict in this area US federal law is supreme as the US Supreme Court has ruled.

Actually the crackdown was on a whole range of persons including numerous individual growing their own marijuana for their own personal use in compliance with state law:

Fallout from the Obama Administration's aggressive federal enforcement in medical marijuana states has reached a fever pitch this month with three people being sentenced, two others due to surrender to federal authorities to serve out sentences of up to five years in prison, and one federal trial in Montana currently scheduled for January 14th. Two of the three people being sentenced in the coming month -- Montana cultivator Chris Williams and Los Angeles-area dispensary operator Aaron Sandusky -- face five and ten years to life, respectively.

"The number of sick patients being locked up by the Obama Administration is unprecedented and deplorable," said Kris Hermes, spokesperson for Americans for Safe Access, the country's leading medical marijuana advocacy organization. "Aggressive enforcement is an unacceptable means of addressing medical marijuana as a public health issue," continued Hermes. "The Obama Administration is lying to the American people when it says it's not targeting individual patients and these cases are clear evidence of that." Montana patient cultivator Richard Flor died in August while serving out a 5-year prison sentence.

http://www.activistp...-marijuana.html

But it is left at the cop's discretion.

That is where they like it.

It becomes arbitrary.

If they like you, they can play nice cop and let it go.

If they don't, they can charge you.

Making criminals out of pot smokers is wrong for many reasons.

From LeDane (sp?) to Dana Larson's Sensible Policing Initiative, everyone knows it should be de-criminalized.

But the (criminal) politicians keep it illegal for profit and police power.

Well, the oposite happened to me. As and American I lived in Vancouver for 40 years, and raised 10 Canadian born kids and I have 21 grand kids but when I went to see my mother for her last few days alive, I was refused entrance into Canada for a pot conviction in 1972. After spending $10,000 to reapply for entry(non refundable), I was still refused entry. I was allowed back once for 3 days for my WIFES funeral(could not come back to be by her side when she died). The temporary grievance pass cost me $500 and if I had not returned, I was threatened with 10 years in jail.

The stupidity goes both ways.

If the fed was going indiscriminately after patients and dealers, why were so many left untouched? This isn't an underground industry, the shops operate in full view, pay taxes, and some have continued to operate for years, through the crackdown. I haven't done extensive research into the crackdowns, so I'm not stating my opinion as gospel, however the questions I pose suggest a different narrative than Obama fighting medical pot for the sake of enforcing federal law. That isn't to say I support Obama's crackdown under my suggested circumstances - I don't.

In regards to states having concurrent jurisdiction, I wonder what exactly is afforded to the states that ins't afforded to provinces - if federal jurisdiction is supreme anything a state does is subject to the whims of the fed. I'm sure there are technicalities, but the end result of having their laws overridden by the fed stands.

But it is left at the cop's discretion.

That is where they like it.

It becomes arbitrary.

If they like you, they can play nice cop and let it go.

If they don't, they can charge you.

Making criminals out of pot smokers is wrong for many reasons.

From LeDane (sp?) to Dana Larson's Sensible Policing Initiative, everyone knows it should be de-criminalized.

But the (criminal) politicians keep it illegal for profit and police power.

I think it's a fall back position for the cops. If yer just smoking quietly in a park somewhere they just confiscate it but if yer an ass about it and perhaps there is other stuff going on then they'll run with it. Just straight possession??? I don't believe it happens often now nor then. 3800?? There are 100 times that many dealers lol.

I think it's a fall back position for the cops. If yer just smoking quietly in a park somewhere they just confiscate it but if yer an ass about it and perhaps there is other stuff going on then they'll run with it. Just straight possession??? I don't believe it happens often now nor then. 3800?? There are 100 times that many dealers lol.

Follow the money; who profits?

The police get unwarranted power and fancy cars, guns, helicopters, etc.

The gangs get to make all that money and leverage the cash flow into hard addictions and prostitution.

The politicians get paid off (I am assuming; I have no facts) to support this system and keep it illegal.

This is my point.

Any particular cop can decide whether you are a criminal or not.

It creates disrespect for the entire legal system.

Citizens who smoke pot but otherwise respect the law, pay their taxes, support the system, are criminalized and turned against society at the whim of any one officer.

Over 75% of BC citizens (Larson poll) are in favour of decriminalizing it.

Yet almost 4,000 otherwise good BC citizens are charged per year.

Follow the money; who profits?

The police get unwarranted power and fancy cars, guns, helicopters, etc.

The gangs get to make all that money and leverage the cash flow into hard addictions and prostitution.

The politicians get paid off (I am assuming; I have no facts) to support this system and keep it illegal.

Get out and vote.

And vote against the incumbents who have allowed this to continue.

Archived