The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kids These Days

Buddhas Hand

guys, just because you all went to geocities.com/bigplaya69/iqtest.html, doesn't mean that's actually your IQ

and BB, your word means just as much to me as his does

of course i can't prove anything, what a dumb, rhetorical question. but yeah, i'm skeptical enough to question how our humble hippie not only beats, but totally eclipses most of the greatest minds on the planet today

I remember when I was about 7 my parents were told I would be better suited in being a part of "Gifted Programs" and taking special challenge courses. I had some attitude problems at school, and finally after about 2 years of spending every day in the principals office my grade 2 teacher realized that it was because I was finding the work to easy. I ended up taking some comprehensive IQ test and got a score of 156. The guy who gave the results to my parents suggested to them that they don't let me play sports as it would be too dangerous as I could get a head injury and squander my "gift".

Well they let me keep playing lacrosse and hockey, but at the same time kept an open mind to the gifted programs they suggested.

I remember one instance when I had to leave my lacrosse game early to go to some seminar for some program and I was pissed about it. We got there, and within about 15 minutes me and my parents left.

Compounded with the fact I wanted nothing to do with it, my parents were shocked at how practically every parent in there was pushing their kids to become what they wanted them to be, and were practically scoffing at them because they let me play organized sports.

It was along the lines of "Oh, we don't let Timmy play sports, it's a waste of his gift. He needs to be studying so he can get into this special program once he gets to Middle School".

After that my parents just asked me "Do you want to go to this program?" If I said yes (which was rare) I would go, and if I said no, then they didn't force me to go.

I played and loved lacrosse for another 6 years, took up rugby for a few years, and still play hockey.

I'm extremely grateful that my parents were willing to let me do what made me happy.

Stanford-Binet and the MENSA home test, which I passed, says otherwise. I will actually agree with you on something, however. The online tests are bunk. Every single one of them. I keep my brain sharp with Lumosity and logic problems, and those online tools are very useful, but I would never be foolish enough to take an online IQ test result with anything more than a grain of salt.

Archived