70 replies to this topic

#1 Cayman_Canuck

Cayman_Canuck

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

I am going to start out by saying that I was shocked by the Cody Hodgson trade like anyone else, but now I am happy the trade was made. But I was also shocked to see how close the STATs are between these two players this year. They both have scored 5 goals and have played significant roles on their respective teams. I think this trade has worked out the best for both teams and I hope they continue to make it interesting.

Cody Hodgson - 9 games: TOI/Game = 18:59, Points = 9 (5 Goals, 4 Assists), Shots = 29, +/-0
Zach Kassian - 8 games: TOI/Game = 16:20, Points = 6 (5 Goals, 1 Assists), Shots = 17, +1

Who do you think will finish with more points this year? Looking forward to seeing how this pans out!

Go Kassian!!

Attached File  Kassian vs Hodgson.jpg   55.8KB   15 downloads

I should also note that hits are 21/6 in "the Kassassin"s favour and Kassian is 1 for 2 in fights so far this year (http://www.hockeyfig...ghtcard/reg2013) So I agree that it's not all about points!

Edited by Cayman_Canuck, 04 February 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#2 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

When Booth and Kesler come back it will be interesting to see if Zack remains on the first line.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#3 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hodgson has done very well for himself offensively. I've watched some of Buf's games this year, he does not look good defensively. Although not uncommon for young centers.

#4 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

POPULAR

might as well include Kassian's 21 hits and Hodgson's 6

#5 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

POPULAR

I agree. Instead of fighting over who is better, we should just be happy that Kassian upgraded our team and Hodgson upgraded Buffalos. Seems like a fair trade to me.

Edited by Hyzer, 04 February 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#6 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,374 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

COHO !!!!!!

#7 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

Well I really hate when people constantly bring up the Kassian trade, but I guess it's unavoidable that some people just won't stop looking at it.

Kassian/Hodgson are two very different kinds of players and it is extremely unfair to measure them against each other based off of point production...

#8 Goal:thecup

Goal:thecup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:22 PM

Add Fight Record.

#9 rfus88

rfus88

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

Lets not forget Hodgson is a year older too.

#10 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:25 PM

When Booth and Kesler come back it will be interesting to see if Zack remains on the first line.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins
Hansen - Lapierre - Malhotra
Posted Image

#11 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Well I really hate when people constantly bring up the Kassian trade, but I guess it's unavoidable that some people just won't stop looking at it.

Agreed.

To make it thorough, they should almost include Kyle Beach in the comparison considering how many people originally wished the Canucks drafted him instead. And maybe include the 4 or 5 other players that Gillis was reportedly looking at in the Hodgson trade. Might as well throw them in there too.
Posted Image

#12 Dayman

Dayman

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins
Hansen - Lapierre - Malhotra

Higgins and Hansen switched imo, unless #20 starts picking up his game.

#13 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:31 PM

Agreed.

To make it thorough, they should almost include Kyle Beach in the comparison considering how many people originally wished the Canucks drafted him instead. And maybe include the 4 or 5 other players that Gillis was reportedly looking at in the Hodgson trade. Might as well throw them in there too.

the difference is those things never happened and the Kassian/Hodgson trade did. The will be linked for years to come, get used to it

#14 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I am going to start out by saying that I was shocked by the Cody Hodgson trade like anyone else, but now I am happy the trade was made. But I was also shocked to see how close the STATs are between these two players this year. They both have scored 5 goals and have played significant roles on their respective teams. I think this trade has worked out the best for both teams and I hope they continue to make it interesting.

Cody Hodgson - 9 games: TOI/Game = 18:59, Points = 9 (5 Goals, 4 Assists), Shots = 29, +/-0
Zach Kassian - 8 games: TOI/Game = 16:20, Points = 6 (5 Goals, 1 Assists), Shots = 17, +1

Who do you think will finish with more points this year? Looking forward to seeing how this pans out!

Go Kassian!!

Attached File  Kassian vs Hodgson.jpg   55.8KB   15 downloads

They're very different players, and thus difficult to objectively compare. But if you wanna try, simply measuring points won't suffice. That's unfair to Kassian, as he contributes in more areas than offensive production.

#15 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,365 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

Cody will likely finish with more points, it won't be a major difference though, and Zack will have alot of other things. (Fights, Hits) That will make up for it.

Now moving away from Cody for a second.

The thing with Zack is, if he is this good this season, I can't wait to see what he will be like next year.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 04 February 2013 - 04:36 PM.

zackass.png

#16 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,555 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

EEEEETS A RAACE!!!Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Don't forget to add that Kassian knocked out Ben Eager

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#18 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Cody will likely finish with more points, it won't be a major difference though, and Zack will have alot of other things. (Fights, Hits) That will make up for it.

Now moving away from Cody for a second.

The thing with Zack is, if he is this good this season, I can't wait to see what he will be like next year.

Agreed. Kassian has a much higher ceiling than Cody. Cody projects to have a ceiling of maybe 30 goals and 70 points. Kassian probably won't ever put up 70 points, but he could score 30+ goals while being one of the league's most feared power forwards. #swagger

#19 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

What should also be mentioned is that Kassian also hits and fights for his teammates. Also Hodgson has been the beneficent of player with the best player in the league right now: Thomas Vanek.

#20 Captain Aerosex

Captain Aerosex

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,031 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:11 PM

might as well include Kassian's 21 hits and Hodgson's 6

That's it.

That's why I love Kassian: he's producing similar to Cody, but he has so much more of an all-around impact. He's miles ahead physically, and he's more defensively sound. He can fight for his teammates, and he's obviously been taken in quite a bit by the boys.

That being said, Cody's a helluva hockey player with astounding IQ, and I wish him the best in Buffalo (except when we match up). I'd just like to throw out that I'm much happier with the trade after seeing what Kassian is capable of bringing. I bet Buffalo's happy too, they've got a talented center to make up that first line they wanted.

Edited by Witchcraft and Sedinery, 04 February 2013 - 05:12 PM.

Posted Image

#21 Caboose

Caboose

Marlies Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,137 posts

What a refreshing and original concept for a thread!

Posted Image

Vintage Canuck's #1 Supporter

#22 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,594 posts

Lets not forget Hodgson is a year older too.

If we are making excuses for Kassian, we should make an excuse for Hodgson too, he doesn't get to play with the Sedins.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#23 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,595 posts

I am glad Kassian is a keeper. And every bit as good as Hodgson in his own way. I also think what he brings to the team, size and grit, is more needed than yet another small(ish) offensive player.....this season.

That said I think I have to remind people that the main objection to the trade was THE TIMING. We were trading away our 4th (I've heard 3rd?) leading scorer at the time of the trade. Top of the rookie heap as well with the Nuge out for a bit. And what was the main complaint in the playoff run the year previously? Not enough offense. AND they traded away this scoring potential knowing full well that Kesler had sustained a nagging shoulder injury in January, to go on top of his other recovery, which they kept secret. Of course they couldn't predict Keiths hit on Daniel just before the playoffs, but they should have known they were thin on offense going in.

And those that categorically state that it wouldn't have made any difference in the LA series......how do you know? We weren't blown away in games against LA. One or two goals or assists here and there might very well have allowed us to scrape through LA. And then with Daniel improving every day...who knows?

There is a definite window of opportunity which will end in a few years and Gillis in part gave up on last year to secure a prospect for the future. Lucky for us and him that Zack developed so quickly. I think it helped that the Sedins put him under their wings this last Summer in training. But there's no reason that Zack wouldn't have still been available in the Summer. (If not another talented gritty prospect) So we may have had not only Kassian here now, but a Stanley Cup parade as well, if Gillis had only held off, and AV had swallowed his baffling grudge against Cody. He should have lessened Keslers minutes in order for him to be more rested for the playoffs, (instead of the opposite) and increased Cody's minutes to give him even more experience and chemistry on the team going into the playoffs.

So yeah, today.....I am happy we have Kassian. But that does not mean I let MG off the hook for throwing away a scoring threat right before last years playoffs for a kid that was clearly not ready for prime time.

30rw2li.jpg   ..................... Put Gino in the Ring of Honour!  .......................  2hg788l.jpg

#24 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,594 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

What should also be mentioned is that Kassian also hits and fights for his teammates. Also Hodgson has been the beneficent of player with the best  player in the league right now: Thomas Vanek.

good point but Kassian is also playing with two former Art Ross winners...Vanek is having a career year playing with Hodgson, whereas the Sedins are having a bit of a slow start with Kassian, just saying.

Edited by Langdon Algur, 04 February 2013 - 05:14 PM.

"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#25 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,280 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

If we are making excuses for Kassian, we should make an excuse for Hodgson too, he doesn't get to play with the Sedins.

So far this year, Hodgson's linemates>Kassian's linemates.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#26 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,594 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

So far this year, Hodgson's linemates>Kassian's linemates.

read comment above yours... doesn't that hint that maybe Hodgson is helping his linemates out more?

#27 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:16 PM

Hodgson is playing with Vanek and Pominville. So far this season Vanek and Pominville have combined for 32 points. The Sedins have 11. Sorry to make you look bad.

#28 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:17 PM

read comment above yours... doesn't that hint that maybe Hodgson is helping his linemates out more?

Kassian has been the best Canuck forward so far this year.

EDIT: and have you watched Vanek? He's scoring on his own accord.

Edited by Mookie Wilson, 04 February 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#29 Cayman_Canuck

Cayman_Canuck

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

OP here; I agree with the comments so far, and thanks for not totally bashing my Thred. I love that we have the more physical player of the two on our team, and I think the Hitting and Fighting more than makes up for Cody's slightly better scoring touch as of right now.

I was just really surprised to see them both with the same number of goals, so I thought it was worth bringing up this topic again.

#30 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,117 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

the difference is those things never happened and the Kassian/Hodgson trade did. The will be linked for years to come, get used to it

I am used to it thanks.

CDC laments things that never happened all the time. How many "should have drafted blank" threads have we seen? People frequently complain about the one that got away. Sometimes it helps put things in perspective to also include the odd bullet that has been dodged.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.