70 replies to this topic

#31 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

My god who cares. I love Hodgson and he's one of my favourite players but for the love of God, please stop with the comparisons. It's getting boring and pointless. Even I'm sick of seeing these threads

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#32 Blömqvist

Blömqvist

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,402 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

What should also be mentioned is that Kassian also hits and fights for his teammates. Also Hodgson has been the beneficent of player with the best player in the league right now: Thomas Vanek.

Couldn't the same be said about Kassian? I mean, he is playing with 2 former Art Ross winners.

Every pizza is a personal pizza if you try hard enough and believe in yourself.

#33 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

Race to more fights.

Hodgson loses by all the games he played before Kassian played.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#34 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:37 PM

Couldn't the same be said about Kassian? I mean, he is playing with 2 former Art Ross winners.

Ya but Vanek is paid more then either of them so clearly he's better.
July 7-2013

Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

#35 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

read comment above yours... doesn't that hint that maybe Hodgson is helping his linemates out more?

Past success means nothing. Just because the Sedins won Art Ross', you can't assume that in any given time frame they will be better than Vanek.

Kassian has as many points as Daniel, 1 more than Henrik.

Vanek has 10 more points than Hodgson.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#36 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,378 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

Kassian Fights = 2+1(Bonus for causing Concussion to Eager)

Hodgson = 0

Subbancopy.jpg

#37 Tom Sestito

Tom Sestito

Probably Not A Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:49 PM

This isn't a fair comparison. You're comparing a Lucic/Bertuzzi type player with a purely offensive player completely based on points.

Edited by TrueStory, 04 February 2013 - 05:50 PM.

Posted Image
Thank you VC!

#38 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:51 PM

The fact that it is this close purely measured in points is a testament to Kassian
July 7-2013

Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

#39 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,006 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Cody went on to do nothing last season in Buffalo after the trade. So would he have been a difference-maker against LA? Not likely. So you need to give MG a pass. Esp. when Coho, y'know, ASKED to be dealt.

Meanwhile, Buffalo's top line is lighting the lamp a lot, but they're also last in their division standings, due to them also giving up a lot of goals-against.

While Kassian has benefitted a lot from Sedin icetime, he's also done a lot on his own. The assist to Edler last game was his, not a Sedin's. He is looking more and more like a rare 'complete player' with size. Something that Cody will never be, of course.

The players will be forever compared, but if GM's were to pick between Lucic and Krejci on which player is more important to the Bruins, it's gonna be Lucic 9 times out of 10. This is because players like Lucic are far more rare than players like Krejci.

I don't think we have another Lucic in Kassian though. But a fair comparison might be Ryan Malone or Ryane Clowe, who are both VERY important players on their teams.

Just glad that Kassian is working out for us so far. If Hodgson gets more points this season, it'll be because of Vanek and a continuing team disregard for defense.

I am glad Kassian is a keeper. And every bit as good as Hodgson in his own way. I also think what he brings to the team, size and grit, is more needed than yet another small(ish) offensive player.....this season.

That said I think I have to remind people that the main objection to the trade was THE TIMING. We were trading away our 4th (I've heard 3rd?) leading scorer at the time of the trade. Top of the rookie heap as well with the Nuge out for a bit. And what was the main complaint in the playoff run the year previously? Not enough offense. AND they traded away this scoring potential knowing full well that Kesler had sustained a nagging shoulder injury in January, to go on top of his other recovery, which they kept secret. Of course they couldn't predict Keiths hit on Daniel just before the playoffs, but they should have known they were thin on offense going in.

And those that categorically state that it wouldn't have made any difference in the LA series......how do you know? We weren't blown away in games against LA. One or two goals or assists here and there might very well have allowed us to scrape through LA. And then with Daniel improving every day...who knows?

There is a definite window of opportunity which will end in a few years and Gillis in part gave up on last year to secure a prospect for the future. Lucky for us and him that Zack developed so quickly. I think it helped that the Sedins put him under their wings this last Summer in training. But there's no reason that Zack wouldn't have still been available in the Summer. (If not another talented gritty prospect) So we may have had not only Kassian here now, but a Stanley Cup parade as well, if Gillis had only held off, and AV had swallowed his baffling grudge against Cody. He should have lessened Keslers minutes in order for him to be more rested for the playoffs, (instead of the opposite) and increased Cody's minutes to give him even more experience and chemistry on the team going into the playoffs.

So yeah, today.....I am happy we have Kassian. But that does not mean I let MG off the hook for throwing away a scoring threat right before last years playoffs for a kid that was clearly not ready for prime time.

Posted Image

#40 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:59 PM

Lets not forget Hodgson is a year older too.

Hodgson lost like a year and a half of hockey/training due to his back injury.

#41 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,006 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Hodgson lost like a year and a half of hockey/training due to his back injury.

Which would be a knock on Hodgson, actually.

Kassian is more likely to break another player's back.
Posted Image

#42 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

What a refreshing and original concept for a thread!

And what an amazing contribution you have made to it. Thread police. :)
Posted Image

#43 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

CDC :sadno:

#44 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

What an original thread idea.

And by that I mean what an absolutely terrible thread.

Edited by Jai604, 04 February 2013 - 06:13 PM.

RIP LB RR PD

#45 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

Cody will likely finish with more points, it won't be a major difference though, and Zack will have alot of other things. (Fights, Hits) That will make up for it.

Now moving away from Cody for a second.

The thing with Zack is, if he is this good this season, I can't wait to see what he will be like next year.

next year? I can't wait to see what he brings when he is in his prime lets say he peeks at 26-27.. he will be a beast once he becomes a man... gotta realize he is still just a kid. he has a lot of size and strength to put on in the next few years, plus if he continues to produce better every year .. watch out.
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#46 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,881 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

read comment above yours... doesn't that hint that maybe Hodgson is helping his linemates out more?

Have you watched Vanek this year. He's carrying that line, not the other way around.

He'll win the Art Ross this year if he stays healthy.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#47 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Pretty sure Hodgson had like 3 points ( 2 goals that bounced off him into the net) while his linemates had like 18 between them... So I'd say no.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#48 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,465 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

I hate the idea of comparing Hodgson to Kassian, as they are different players. I also hate the idea that you have to be on team CoHo or team Kassian. This isn't god damn Twilight. I like both players. So what?

For the sake of the argument that Kassian benefits from the Sedins (i.e. King ES), consider the following:

Goals/Assists that Hodgson has been in on that have not included one of Pominville or Vanek: 0/9

Goals/Assists that Hodgson has been in on that have not included Vanek: 1/9

Goals/Assists that Kassian has been in on that have not included one of the Sedins: 3/6

50% of Kassian's points haven't been the result of contributions from the Sedins. On the other hand, none of Hodgson's points involved neither Vanek nor Pominville. In fact, for only one of Hodgson's points was Vanek alone not directly involved.

My conclusion: both are great players, for different reasons. But, if you want to claim that Kassian has the advantage because he plays with the Sedins, just look at the stats. Hodgson is more likely to benefit from the play of Vanek and Pominville than Kassian is to benefit from the Sedins.

OMG we could've had McKeown!

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#49 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:38 PM

I expect Cody HOdgson to out score Kassian. This is no secret. But Kassian is more benefit to us then a Cody Hodgson. I feel sorry for the kid too. They just drafte 2 centermans this year, so in a couple years, he will have to fight for a top 2 spot.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#50 Mookie Wilson

Mookie Wilson

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

I expect Cody HOdgson to out score Kassian. This is no secret. But Kassian is more benefit to us then a Cody Hodgson. I feel sorry for the kid too. They just drafte 2 centermans this year, so in a couple years, he will have to fight for a top 2 spot.

Good for you for not posting that in the Luongo news thread.

#51 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,359 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

And don't forget, Kassian's a year younger than CoHo.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#52 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:12 PM

Imagine a line with the two of them on it? Team Canada 2018 maybe?
Posted Image

#53 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,359 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Imagine a line with the two of them on it? Team Canada 2018 maybe?

That could be incredible. Naslund and Bertuzzi?

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#54 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,999 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

Oh the suite life of Zach and Cody...
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#55 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

Don't forget about Marc-Andre Gragnani and Alexander Sulzer.

Alexander Sulzer 8 games played with Buffalo 2 goals and 1 assist for 3 points.

Marc-Andre Gragnani not playing in the NHL, not even a Canuck anymore.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#56 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

I still question Kass's stamina. This is a heavy schedule to play 1st/2nd line minutes at 22 years of age and with Kass's big frame. It will be interesting to see if Kass get's the same amount of "protection" that Cody got when the team is all fit.

Edited by Bodee, 05 February 2013 - 02:04 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#57 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Booth - Kesler - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Higgins
Hansen - Lapierre - Malhotra

Well, AV pulled Kas off of the top line for the second half of the game and it was obvious that they have better chemistry with Burrows,
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#58 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

What people still fail to understand is that they are BOTH good players in their own respect.

Don't be bitter that the Canucks traded Hodgson, he wasn't a good fit here, but Kassian is.

Both teams got the type of player they needed.

#59 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,211 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

Omgggggg Hodson haz 10 pts!!! We los dat trade sooo bad, Kasian has nt foght in a long time to. Their is so much wrong with are managment.

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#60 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

This is the epitome of a good hockey trade. Both players are putting up numbers and contributing to their teams. Why everyone feels the need to have a clear winner in a trade I'll never understand.

And the disparaging of Hodgson is crazy. I'm a Sabres fan as well and have been for a very long time. Live about an hour from First Niagara and have been going to watch the Sabres for years. Hodgson is good. He created that third goal that got the Sabres back into the game against the Sens last night and then near tied it with seconds left. He worked it at the point and won the puck battle. Ended up with it behind the net and banked it off of Pominville charging hard to the net. Although I guess according to many of you Pominville gets no credit because it bounced off his stick, shin pad, skate before going in.

Kassian has been great and Hodgson is the number one centre on the most productive line in hockey. Good trade and both are and will likely be good players. And Hodgson, like Kassian, has improved a lot over last year. He isn't going away. The difference between him and Derek Roy is wide. I feel so much better watching that first line now.

And the Sabres are losing because Myers and Leopold are beyond awful and last night they were missing half of their top 6 D and by far their two best defenders in Ehrhoff and Sekera. If Myers could channel his play from his rookie season all would be good.

Edited by bd71, 06 February 2013 - 09:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.