I wonder how many more old maids will get in on all the whining

#62 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:54 PM

I guess we should hire Peter Laviolette he has a Cup so I guess he is way better than AV :rolleyes:

Absolutely.

Would take Laviolette over him in a heartbeat.

Theres a guy who motivates his team, gets them prepared to play, makes necessary adjustments and can get the most out of his players.

zackass.png

#63 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

Absolutely.

Would take Laviolette over him in a heartbeat.

Theres a guy who motivates his team, gets them prepared to play, makes necessary adjustments and can get the most out of his players.

he definitely gets the most out of his goaltenders :rolleyes:
Posted Image

#64 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,483 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

he definitely gets the most out of his goaltenders :rolleyes:

No lol.

His goaltenders carry him and make him look like a way better coach than he actually is.

Luongo's name should be on the Jack Adams, not AV's.

zackass.png

#65 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:57 PM

No lol.

His goaltenders carry him and make him look like a way better coach than he actually is.

I can't disagree with that, but that still doesn't make a case for firing AV.

edit: I think the main problem is that Canuck fans smoke too much weed and thus have memory issues. People forget Keenan, Renney, Ley, Even the best coaches we have had in Crow and Quinn weren't as good as AV. Maybe people are bored of winning. I think that fans here wish we took the Oilers route and tanked for years to build up with first overall picks. - Hey not a bad idea if it could be guaranteed but its not! I'd rather have a coach that competes year after year! That is just my opinion.

Edited by Aladeen, 05 February 2013 - 12:02 AM.

Posted Image

#66 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:58 PM

Yah and Hockey Professionals obviously disagree with you!

You have zero clue what goes on behind the scenes with the Canucks so don't act like you know. If the players agreed with you if Gillis Agreed with you AV would be gone, but guess what he is going to be here for a long time so suck it up.

Actually, AV is here for two years and then when Gillis has to re-sign AV for another contract as coach, we'll see.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#67 Bagofcats

Bagofcats

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:59 PM

Hey with some of the talk around here anyone can do it! I'm all for firing his ass if I can be coach, but I don't promise any kind of success except for a damn good chance at a lottery pick.

Just make every game entertaining and worth the ticket price. I don't even care if we lose. The Real Fans will cheer as long as they play hard.

#68 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,483 posts

I can't disagree with that, but that still doesn't make a case for firing AV.

Luongo has bailed out AV's poor coaching countless times. Just look this recent stretch, against Chicago we played AV's classic "Sit back, do nothing and kill our momentum style" And Luongo stood on his head and held us in. Same thing against LA, Lu couldn't hold the fort completely.

And when ever Lu can't carry the team (As evidenced by his meltdowns) This team completely falls aparts.

zackass.png

#69 Kesler's Nose

Kesler's Nose

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Yeah, that's right... Insult the system that has won us numerous games and made us one of the top teams in the national hockey league, right... lol

It's not the system you should be insinuating has let us down, it's the adaption during the playoffs that needs work. AV needs to have some secret strategies tucked away, instead of putting it all on the ice every night... It's worked good enough thus far, but when some of these coaches get to the playoffs they step their mental game up to a higher level than the "average bear."

We have the team, after the Lu deal (If a good enough trade is made) we'll have the few missing pieces we need to push us over the edge, it's then up to AV to make the right choices and our players to go for broke and win. Can't wait for this years playoffs, as John Shorthouse would say it's gonna be a dooziee! ::D

Edited by Kesler's Nose, 05 February 2013 - 12:01 AM.

"It's an opportunity, we don't look at it as a last chance... We look at it as an opportunity to do something great. We are going to take it period by period, shift by shift. You just have to be better than the guy across from you... Every guy in this locker room I can say believes we can do this." - Ryan Kesler

Posted Image

#70 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:02 AM

Just make every game entertaining and worth the ticket price. I don't even care if we lose. The Real Fans will cheer as long as they play hard.

Ala TO?

edit: So long as you like consistent meltdowns.

Edited by Aladeen, 05 February 2013 - 12:04 AM.

Posted Image

#71 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:05 AM

edit: I think the main problem is that Canuck fans smoke too much weed and thus have memory issues. People forget Keenan, Renney, Ley, Even the best coaches we have had in Crow and Quinn weren't as good as AV. Maybe people are bored of winning. I think that fans here wish we took the Oilers route and tanked for years to build up with first overall picks. - Hey not a bad idea if it could be guaranteed but its not! I'd rather have a coach that competes year after year! That is just my opinion.

I don't know about that, AV has way more than Quinn and Crow ever did, I wouldn't mind seeing either here personally, although if I had to choose, I would love to have Pat, I think he is the perfect coach for what we need. He is great at motivating and getting the most out of guys, that's what we need.

Alot of coaches could win PT's with the teams we have had.

zackass.png

#72 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:09 AM

I don't know about that, AV has way more than Quinn and Crow ever did, I wouldn't mind seeing either here personally, although if I had to choose, I would love to have Pat, I think he is the perfect coach for what we need. He is great at motivating and getting the most out of guys, that's what we need.

Alot of coaches could win PT's with the teams we have had.

Well Quinn is a God so he was a bad example. but in the new NHL when a team out skills you or out bruises you a boring game style is sometimes the only way to win. Thats not just on AV thats what the NHL allows for. I don't think Crow's coaching style flies especially with the team AV had back in '07

If we were to run and gun with the Oilers... we lose. Obviously AV is defence first but I personally don't think thats a bad thing.
Posted Image

#73 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:12 AM

Well Quinn is a God so he was a bad example. but in the new NHL when a team out skills you or out bruises you a boring game style is sometimes the only way to win. Thats not just on AV thats what the NHL allows for. I don't think Crow's coaching style flies especially with the team AV had back in '07

If we were to run and gun with the Oilers... we lose. Obviously AV is defence first but I personally don't think thats a bad thing.

We played alright tonight, the issue with tonights game is that AV didn't get us ready to play, and that he didn't do anything to try to help the PP along, aside from that I thought we carried the play for alot of the game, especially when we started to attack.

zackass.png

#74 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

We played alright tonight, the issue with tonights game is that AV didn't get us ready to play, and that he didn't do anything to try to help the PP along, aside from that I thought we carried the play for alot of the game, especially when we started to attack.

Yes the PP has been pretty awful but I believe that Brown's department no? However on the flipside the PKers were all business, tonight was one of the most dominant PKs I have ever witnessed... not sure who is on PK coaching.
Posted Image

#75 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:16 AM

Yes the PP has been pretty awful but I believe that Brown's department no? However on the flipside the PKers were all business, tonight was one of the most dominant PKs I have ever witnessed... not sure who is on PK coaching.

Yeah Brown should go too, although AV does have the final say.

We need alot of work though. especially with out starts.

zackass.png

#76 Soren5556

Soren5556

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:53 AM

I think our powerplay seems a little more obvious lately

#77 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:00 AM

Yeah Brown should go too, although AV does have the final say.

We need alot of work though. especially with out starts.

I guess its all in how you look at it... Unfortunately we don't have Chara, Karlsson, Weber, Doughty etc Norris calibre dman. I think this is ultimately the missing piece from the Canucks being a Stanley Cup winning team. Without this Norris dman forwards need to be much more defensively responsible, thus flashy offence suffers.

let's examine what problems people have with AV:

1.The one I hear the most is he destroys young talent: IMO - Present players of Tanev, Kassian and even Schroeder disagree. Edler, Hansen, Schneider and even the Sedins have thrived under AV. - I feel this argument is Invalid

2. His playbook has become predictable - Maybe but this has a lot to do with scouting as well, I agree the Sedin's ability to cycle the puck is becoming harder and harder, not because they are not great but because other teams get it - (If one Sedin has the puck cover the other one) - AV can only work with what he has - would things be different if we traded the Sedins for Perry and Getzlaf? Maybe for awhile until the playbook is out on them too. The Sedins have never been great off the rush... they do what they do, what more can we ask?

3. His Coaching style is borning to watch - (well I don't agree with this since I think the ultimate entertainment is winning) Really though that can be chalked up to efficiency. Exciting games are generally a toss up as to who is going to win. We run and gun with teams like SJ, Anaheim, Edmonton, Colorado, Chicago and your looking at a .500 record most likely. Anything to give an edge in this league is what's need and sometimes that is defensive, efficient hockey. Look at the Swiss, they are on the rise on the world stage of hockey because they play this way, they are not there yet but if they keep up their style and stick to their systems we will see a gold medal around Swiss necks very soon.

4. He doesn't get the most from his players. You yourself said AV owes his Jack Adams to Luongo, fine I agree but wouldn't that be considered getting the most from his players? What about the Sedins? I don't recall them winning any individual trophies under Crow (I also realize they weren't on the top line then but still goes along with my point) What about Edler, Torres, Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Lapierre, Kesler, Bieksa - All these guys have reached or exceed their potential under AV - so under a different coach all these players would be better than they have been? I'm not sure if I buy that.

5. The Supposed Trump Card, he hasn't won a Stanley Cup - Well this one is ridiculous imo - How many other coaches have no cups to their credit that are good coaches? To win a cup takes more than just good coaching, it takes a good team clicking at the right time. It takes being lucky with the injury bug. Good coaching is definitely important but good systems will work if its in the cards. I really do feel like AVs systems are sound. I feel that there are things that happened in 2011 that could have easily seen it that the Canucks hoisted the cup. Its not like Claude Julien dominated him in coaching, I think in a sincere interview with Julien he would be one of the first to admit that it does take some luck to win a cup. They went to game 7 OT with the Canadiens and 1-0 against TB in their game 7. A lucky bounce here or there the Bruins don't even make it to the finals.

This will be my final thought on the subject but I think people should start to show a little gratitude for what AV has accomplished and what he is capable of accomplishing. His job is to win he does that well everything else is irrelevant so long as he is winning and giving us a shot at the cup (ie making the playoffs) each year.
Posted Image

#78 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:18 AM

Why are you slamming Gillis OP.. The system is the coaches problem. Fire AV, time for a shakeup in the locker room, this team doesnt lack skill, it lacks a real leader in the dressing room thats NOT wearing a pair of skates. Players should fear their coach, ask Doughty what he thinks of Sutter. With AV we will never win anything. All of AV's success has been from Gillis, the Sedins, and Luongo.

Time for a change

#79 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

No lol.

Hmm.

It's AV's fault when the team sucks. There's no credit to AV when the team plays well. Should the Aquilini's save their money and have a coach-less team?
Posted Image

#80 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:31 AM

There are certainly some glaringly obvious issues with this team, and they have been addressed already in this thread I'm sure: the Sedins, the PP, slow starts time and time again. If the playoffs started tomorrow, this team wouldn't get out of the first round.
Posted Image

#81 darthryan

darthryan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

dump an chase system is for the bruins... not the canucks... the canucks don't have big bodies

they are bigger this year imo with Kassian, Weise and Volpatti contributing more compared to 2010-11 where we had Glass and Torres being the bigger physical guys who were in the line up.
:towel: Posted Image :towel:

#82 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

There are certainly some glaringly obvious issues with this team, and they have been addressed already in this thread I'm sure: the Sedins, the PP, slow starts time and time again. If the playoffs started tomorrow, this team wouldn't get out of the first round.

Compare LA at the beginning of last year til after the second half, coaches murray or sutter..

Night and Day! AV is a good coach, i just feel there's got to be better coaches for the personnel on this team out there

#83 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:42 AM

Compare LA at the beginning of last year til after the second half, coaches murray or sutter..

Night and Day! AV is a good coach, i just feel there's got to be better coaches for the personnel on this team out there

Name some please... Especially ones with the resume all these posters are looking for... their name on the Stanley Cup. I say having 2 of your top six forwards out and still leading the NW is not too freaking shabby. Would the Blackhawks have the record they do without say sharp and shaw? What about SJ without Coture and Clowe? Boston with Krejci and Lucic? Not comparing any of them to Kesler and Booth but AV deserves some credit

Edit: Yah I realize I lied in my last post but probably it was too much text for anyone to bother to read anyways

Edited by Aladeen, 05 February 2013 - 01:43 AM.

Posted Image

#84 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

Maybe, but I can't see any reasonable justification for canning AV at this point or any point throughout the season, even if we do struggle from here on out. He's here to stay for the following season at least.
Posted Image

#85 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:45 AM

Maybe, but I can't see any reasonable justification for canning AV at this point or any point throughout the season, even if we do struggle from here on out. He's here to stay for the following season at least.

Hey if we got Torts at the very least interviews would be far more exciting!!!
Posted Image

#86 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:48 AM

It doesnt have to be someone with a ring, just a new voice, maybe a history of being hard assed and hard nosed. Thats what this team needs.

When Pittsburgh got Bylsma and won the cup, that was Bylsma's first NHL coaching job.

The resume doesnt matter

#87 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

It doesnt have to be someone with a ring, just a new voice, maybe a history of being hard assed and hard nosed. Thats what this team needs.

When Pittsburgh got Bylsma and won the cup, that was Bylsma's first NHL coaching job.

The resume doesnt matter

ahhh I see... well lets see who are some people that could have possibly taken over for AV in the past, Claude Noel? He has done OK, what about Scott Arniel? geez if he was here there would be riots in the streets to have him fired. What about Crow back? Thats not happening.

You think people would be happy with Darryl Sutter all the good he did in Calgary? - He won a stanley cup with a team that got stacked at the deadline and clicked period. He is a good coach but you think Canuck fans would tolerate this guy during any down times throughout a season?

Realistically who do we want?

MacT? John Stevens? John Anderson? - I personally don't think any of those guys are better than AV

Hartley? HItchcock? Murray? - Maybe one of these guys could do a better job than AV but is that a guarantee? How long would you give these guys 1 year 2 years? what if there is no cup from any of them in 4 or 5?

I have yet to hear anything about any Canuck disliking AV or thinking he is a insufficient coach - not even whispers... so why capsize the boat?
Posted Image

#88 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,483 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Hmm.

It's AV's fault when the team sucks. There's no credit to AV when the team plays well. Should the Aquilini's save their money and have a coach-less team?

My points is AV has been perrenially carried by the goaltending and made to seem like a better coach. Without Roberto AV wouldn't be considered as good as he is. I have already stated why he should go.

But what do you think his strengths are?

Well if we want to blow possibly our greatest chance at a cup, then by all means. Keep AV, then we can can him next year when we lose all our depth, and we will never get a chance like this again.

zackass.png

#89 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,925 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

Why are you slamming Gillis OP.. The system is the coaches problem. Fire AV, time for a shakeup in the locker room, this team doesnt lack skill, it lacks a real leader in the dressing room thats NOT wearing a pair of skates. Players should fear their coach, ask Doughty what he thinks of Sutter. With AV we will never win anything. All of AV's success has been from Gillis, the Sedins, and Luongo.

Time for a change

OMG imagine the posting if we were actually near the bottom of the standings.

AV WILL NOT BE FIRED WHILE THE CANUCKS ARE STILL WINNING GAMES!!!!!

If anyone hopes that the Canucks lose games for this to happen they are NOT Canuck fans.
Posted Image

#90 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

Sutter got Calgary to game 7 stanley cup final. That teams problem was management and personnel, he got the most out of his players.

MacT got Edmonton to game 7 stanley cup final.
That teams problem was management and personnel, he got the most out of his players.

Alain Vigneault took a very stacked, lead the league in almost every stat that year, team to game 7 stanley cup finals. Almost blew a 3-0 lead in round one to Chicago, and got spanked 4-0 in game 7 stanley cup final at home, no emotion, 6 packs of gum chewed.

Does not get the most out of his players, he is whats holding us back from the holy grail, barring injuries we were almost good enough to do it with(out) him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.