The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins Fading?

cabinessence

I think they will manage at least 3 (including current) seasons scoring at a .85 ppg or higher.

You also have to remember that we may be 9 games into a 48 game season, but we still have a handful of games against the wild, the flames, and cbj, teams that the sedins make mince meat out of. Also, a lot of defensive burden will be lifted when Kesler returns to the lineup allowing for better Sedin deployment.

I am not saying they will be art ross winners the next few seasons, but I still see them both putting up 45 points this season. A respectable number.

The Sedins probably aren't going to score over a point-per-game for a while, unless they have a Marleau-like resurgence.

However, while the twins regress a bit, our younger players are shining brighter. Hansen, Kassian and Raymond have really stepped up their games so far this season (not just for this game) as has Tanev, and Edler. Essentially, our stars are fading but our young guns are playing better, giving us a much more rounded out offence.

Players on the downslide: Sedins, Burrows, Higgins, Malhotra, Bieksa

Players on the upswing: Kassian, Raymond, Hansen, Edler, Tanev

Oh oh! This is it! The Sedins are the new players to trash!! *rolls eyes*.

A) they are older

B) they didnt play all season. IT WAS A LOCK OUT and they didnt go over seas, because of their children

c) they have been playing with Kassian who has no chemistry with them whats so ever.

Now that Burrows is with them, there was that immediate spark right away, you can see it instantly. So shut up. And learn the game of hockey before you post.

Thanks, yes I am a girl.

This not just a thread to dump on the twins, but they are unlike other "stars". The Sedins took years to develop and seemed to hit a peak. I am sure they are still great players, but I see a similar decline in their games to that of Markus Naslund.

Look at how Naslund took years to get going before peaking and declining from there. I recall the media constantly pondering why Naslund was in a such a slump and not (that I heard) suggesting that he was on the downside of his career.

I am not saying this is by far the case, but Vancouver has had a history of having players develop here into very good players and then fade out because the team believed they would keep it going. Some other names that could be considered are Tony Tanti, Todd Bertuzzi, Petri Skriko...

canucks are a one line team at the moment, very easy for teams to key on the sedins and just throw a blanket on them. The PP needs some serious work and our defenseman need to start onetiming the puck to force the PK off the sedins down low plays.

If you think this is valid, or if you think the reasoning is logical, then I'm afraid to tell you that the ones attacking this topic are not the morons here.

To insinuate, after such a small sample, after such a long off season, after the second line loses two key players that would normally help alleviate a huge amount of pressure off of the Sedins, that the twins have begun to fade ... is absurd.

Furthermore, look at the tear Kassian was on to start the season. Do you, and don't get me wrong, I love what I've seen from Kassian, think that he does as well on any other line?

The problem with topics like this, is that they only seem to be logical with a very cursory glance. They simply do not hold up to scrutiny, they are not well thought out, and they are, quite frankly, annoying to deal with on a daily basis because they distract from intelligent conversation and they drive away intelligent posters that don't want to sort through all the crap like this.

It will take Daniel a full year to get back to form after his concussion-if he ever regains his form,at all.

That split second loss in dementia timing screws up Hank`s healthy timing .

Couple Dan`s loss with having to have a new,rookie winger on that line and they had a slow start.

If Burr can stay with them for even strength play for most of the regular season games(let Kas ride shotgun when the goonery starts,esp. certain playoff teams that target the twins) we should see more of a return to form and statistical norm.

Sedins will do fine keep Burrows on the first line at least until Kesler and Booth are back. Kassain plays well but a lot of his hype I believe is coming from the Sedins making him look good. Watching the Sedins play with Burrows again they seemed more comfortable and playing a lot more like the Sedins we all know. I think there is a lot to be said about the Sedins talent when they can take a rookie and make him fit in on the line and produce like Kassain did.

The Sedins are elite players. However, like Ovechkin, teams have learned what to expect and plan against it. To counter that Ovechkin is kind of lazy, the sedins are not. It is a matter of the lockout, age and no secondary scoring that has hurt their production thus far. Dont rag on the OP for bringing up a valid point. I dont think they are Art Ross winners anymore, I do think they are elite level talent still and probably for another 2 or so years.

To those that are saying "The Tanev goal says hi." Yes fantastic goal and fantastic set-up. My question is where were the Sedins up until that point in the game. Daniel and Henrik both had bad turnovers in the 3rd and were relatively non-existent. To be a "star" and to win the cup you have to be there night in and night out. I think that is coming here in the next few games and we will see the Sedins of old. I just dont think they are the Art Ross winners a lot of us still think they are anymore.

Why is AV putting Ballard and Tanev out as the D pairing with the Sedins?

Tanev's OT winner notwithstanding, that pair doesn't generate much from the point and they don't hold the zone very well either. The Sedins spend more time retrieving pucks from their own zone because the D's can't keep it in. Maybe they need a more offensively gifted D pair back there??

They each got a point last night. Played well. But they weren't the Sedins of the last 5 years...

When the whole team gets clicking, their production will increase too. I think we are looking at 20 games in... maybe more. I think they have another level, but are not there right now. I think if they save themselves for the playoffs, and HS does what he did last year, we will all be happy!

Fading... oh dear. Ovechkin fading too?

How about struggling? Fine tuning? Finding their groove after a lengthy break?

We all react differently to different situations. Many players may be in shape, but still have a tough time coming into the season in late january. These people have a very strict daily scheme and preparation for games. Maybe that has been on the shelf for several moths during the lockout. Preparation isn't the same when you have endless practices without knowledge of when the games will resume...

Archived