203 replies to this topic

#181 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:45 AM

I don't have access to the stat, but I'd bet the farm that Juice led the team in hits by a country mile last night. He had one shift in the third where he had a couple of giveaways, but other than that he was solid, blocking several shots and hitting everything in sight.

You would be correct (though I wouldn't declare it a country mile). http://www.nhl.com/s...13/ES020126.HTM
He had 4 while Hansen and Edler had 3 each.

Juice also led the team in shots and blocked shots and was even in the take away / give away category.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#182 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,462 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

Time to ride the Schneid for a while.........Luongo looked shaky last night to anyone who knows anything about the goaltending position.  He made some saves that looked fantastic, but they were stops that should have been pretty routine for a goalie in the correct position.  I always tell my goals 95% of saves that look spectacular are because you were out of position.......that was Lu last night.......he had several fumbles with his trapper as well.  He clearly needs some rest, and I doubt MG wants him in there for a stinker.

I agree. You can always tell when Louie is a bit off. Pucks that he would normally catch, he ends up knocking down. He also looked awkward on the save against Eberle, even though it probably saved the game for the 'Nucks.

It's time Schneider got a start anyway and Luongo has had trouble playing in Minny in the past...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#183 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,462 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:57 AM

You would be correct (though I wouldn't declare it a country mile).  http://www.nhl.com/s...13/ES020126.HTM
He had 4 while Hansen and Edler had 3 each.

Juice also led the team in shots and blocked shots and was even in the take away / give away category.

Meh. If we had the guy from Minnesota, that 4 would be 14.. ;)
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#184 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:23 AM

I agree. You can always tell when Louie is a bit off. Pucks that he would normally catch, he ends up knocking down. He also looked awkward on the save against Eberle, even though it probably saved the game for the 'Nucks.

It's time Schneider got a start anyway and Luongo has had trouble playing in Minny in the past...

Luongo was shaky last night....lol k only got the win because of him
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#185 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

Good game.

Happy to see Tanev score. Definitely benefited from it deflecting off Yakupov, who missed his block. But I have to say, up until that point, Tanev was not having a good game. Lots of giveaways and bad decisions earlier.

Defensively, Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, and Bieksa were all rock solid. Besides his goal, Bieksa was scooping up rebounds and boxing guys out all night. And Edler wasn't going to let any Oiler get past him like last time they met - he kept his position through a number of good, quick moves.

Hansen was outstanding. Kassian made a couple good plays, but was mostly invisible. Schroeder gets an 'A' for effort, but 'E' for execution - too many giveaways.

Oilers actually didn't have many scoring chances. Luongo was mostly solid, but I still don't like the first goal. Hemsky's move was sweet, but still, he should have either dove out to cover it, or pokechecked and/or swept it to the corner. Can't blame him on the 2nd one.
Posted Image

#186 taib mahmud

taib mahmud

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

They lost, but SN said they deserved the 1st & 2nd stars !

#187 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:55 AM

Love the flood of support on Twitter from various Canuck players for Tanev!
Posted Image

#188 Merci

Merci

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:58 AM

Sometimes I wonder if CDC is watching the same games as I am.

Literally the most arbitrary critisicism from some people.

Keslerific, on 25 May 2014 - 4:47 PM, said:

Gaunce is wayy cooler though, Gaunce is the kind of guy you want to bring with you to Costco

vPTJpcO.jpg

#189 Kassian's Face

Kassian's Face

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

Had the highest +/- on the team for weeks until tonight. A game winning goal to his name, has taken almost zero stupid penalties and shoots more than most of our forwards. Yeah, what a horrible signing. I'm fairly certain you're not very good at basing your opinion on facts.

Yeah too much hate for Garrison. But he did take some bad penalties, and his play has resulted in some goals against us. But I think he is fitting in well, and just needs time. If I am wrong, we will know by the end of the season.

Also I was wondering...... If an oiler fan said something in the forest, and no canucks fan heard him, is he still wrong?

#190 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,948 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

Yeah too much hate for Garrison. But he did take some bad penalties, and his play has resulted in some goals against us. But I think he is fitting in well, and just needs time. If I am wrong, we will know by the end of the season.

Also I was wondering...... If an oiler fan said something in the forest, and no canucks fan heard him, is he still wrong?

I haven't liked Garrison's game thus far, and he is not playing the game that he was advertised as playing. That said, I see him getting better as the season goes on and I'm quite impressed with his physical play and his PK abilities......something I didn't expect.

We have to remember that both he and Edler were only cleared to play right before the end of the lockout, so not only were they not playing during the lockout, they weren't even on the ice.........it's going to take awhile for both of them to find their game.

#191 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

Ballard did some great work keeping the play alive so the Sedins could set up Tanev.

Hopefully AV will put them in more, especially on the power play.
Posted Image

#192 igorwasgreat

igorwasgreat

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:30 AM

Ballard did some great work keeping the play alive so the Sedins could set up Tanev.

Hopefully AV will put them in more, especially on the power play.

Ballard was the key to that goal, if he does not dig the puck out and kick it to a Sedin, we would have had to win it in the shootout.
I need a sig

#193 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:03 AM

Didn't like the slow start or the sloppy passing and defensive breakdowns. On the plus side Hansen showed up tonight and I thought Higgins got better as the game went on. They have had their pictures on the side of "milk Cartons" so far this year so that was a positive change. Schroeder and Raymond were good tonight. Schroeder's forecheck creates the Hansen goal and they generated quite a few chances as the night went on including Bieksa's goal.

Can't help but be a bit worried about the Sedin start to the season but putting Burrows back on the line seemed to help. As much as I like Kassian being with those two perhaps they are overthinking the game working with a new face. They did seem to get better once they were with Burrows likely because there is a comfort level there. They still weren't stellar.

Tanev's goal was an awesome surprise and made the comeback and win all the sweeter. Nice give and go by the Sedins and vision to hit the trailer with the pass. Would have been nice if our commentator or colour man would have given more kudos to Ballard on the play. The pinch and footwork to keep the puck in and get it to Henrik was terrific. Valk mentioned it post-game which was positive.

A "w" is a "w" and they all can't be pretty. The team showed they can adjust and elevate their game which is great but it would be nice if they had their"work boots" on at the drop of the puck.
Posted Image

#194 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Pretty lacklustre start to the game, but glad the boys picked it up.

Defense played much better.

RIP LB RR PD

#195 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

I haven't liked Garrison's game thus far, and he is not playing the game that he was advertised as playing. That said, I see him getting better as the season goes on and I'm quite impressed with his physical play and his PK abilities......something I didn't expect.

We have to remember that both he and Edler were only cleared to play right before the end of the lockout, so not only were they not playing during the lockout, they weren't even on the ice.........it's going to take awhile for both of them to find their game.

Agreed. Coming to a new team, new systems and the lack of a proper training camp haven't helped either. I think he will be fine.
Posted Image

#196 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:37 PM

lol the Oilers commentary on Sportsnet wasn't too pleased that Tanev scored.. Heck they didn't even know it was his first career goal...

And that is why Shorty and Garrett are the best

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#197 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

lol the Oilers commentary on Sportsnet wasn't too pleased that Tanev scored.. Heck they didn't even know it was his first career goal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AivT6xtQrs

And that is why Shorty and Garrett are the best

O man, I live in Calgary, so I have to watch the Calgary and Oiler feeds when the Canucks play them. Centre Ice occasionally uses the feed from another team as well. But the Oiler broadcast is by far the WORST I have ever seen.

- Every Oiler player's move/hit/etc. is blown way out of proportion. There was one time last night they claimed the Oiler player completely 'exploded into' a Canuck for a hit - but seriously, it was nothing more than a bump. The Canuck player did not fall, he just slowed down a tad. They were pumping Fistric's physical play all the way through the first last night, without realizing until the end of the period that he hurt himself taking a run at the smallest guy on the ice (and missing).

- I have noticed that if there is a questionable penalty against the other team, they don't bother to broadcast the replay. Last night when Yakupov folded like a cheap tent when Schroeder gave his jersey a slight tug, there wasn't a single replay of the incident. I can't remember a Canuck broadcast where they didn't show a replay of every penalty at least once. But I've seen it in both Edmonton games this year. If their guy dove, they just don't show it.

- Gene Principe is nothing but a clown who likes to use props. Seriously, the guy seems to have no knowledge of hockey whatsoever.
Posted Image

#198 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,154 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Justin Schultz asked for Chris Tanev's autograph.

Tanev put his cigar out on his dirty Oiler jersey and said "Maybe next time jeff".

Oh wow, I laughed so hard at this. Funniest thing I've read on here in awhile.

Thank you good sir!

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#199 Gunner Garrison

Gunner Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Sooooo happy that AV finally coached well!! Switched Burrows for Kassian when Zack wasn't working with the twins, puts Ballard and Tanev out in OT because they've been the best pair

yay

#200 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 71,014 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

[The Province] Hansen one of the key forces who changed momentum of Edmonton game, Vigneault says - http://feeds.canada....m8Hc/story.html

307mg00.jpg

#201 Toni Zamboni

Toni Zamboni

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,631 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AivT6xtQrs

such a beauty wrist shot by tanev!!
i love all the face washes at the celebration :lol:

#202 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,300 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:04 PM

Apparently the Canucks took out three of the Oilers' centermen last game.

-Horcoff blocked a shot. Broken hand. Long term.
-Belanger blocked another. Foot? Day-to-day.
-And Henrik took out RNH in OT. Shoulder. Precautionary.

Together with Eager's (hopefully career-ending) concussion, the Canucks are brutalizing the Oilers so far this season.

Anyway, can't applaud this too much, (shot blocks?) but i found it mildly amuzing that Henrik was able to find somebody to crush.
Posted Image

#203 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

Anyway, can't applaud this too much, (shot blocks?) but i found it mildly amuzing that Henrik was able to find somebody to crush.

It's not much of an achievement considering who it was he crushed...

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#204 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,462 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:19 AM

Luongo was shaky last night....lol k only got the win because of him

It wasn't so much that he did or didn't make the saves, it was the manner in which he did it. I liken it to a pitcher who gets the W, despite not having his best stuff.

Luongo battled through and was deserving of the 1st star, but for those of us who have been involved with the game for a long time, there were warning signs that his game was on a slight decline. As I said earlier, he was knocking pucks down, instead of catching them and generally looking a bit awkward, despite making saves.

I'm not surprised that Cory is starting tonight. The coaches probably saw the same things that stawns and I did...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.