The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo/Schneider shining as backups

Sixteen W's

Lou lovers are like Republicans: very short memories.

I do like Lou, I really do, but I don't forget all the times where he had melt downs, or when he thru the team under the bus. Yes, he is a arguably a HOF goalie, but he doesn't get it done when it counts, and we have given him multiple opportunities.

Now, because of this and the upside/potential of Schneider, Lou will prob get traded because of what we can get back for him to help out team and the obvious pickle of having 2 #1's. However, I still think there is a chance (a good chance) that Schneids gets traded. If a team comes along and offers something really good (remember, he doesn't have a NTC so he can go anywhere) I'm quite certain that GM MG won't hesitate (ok, maybe he'll hesitate, but I don't think it will force him not to) to pull the trigger and trade Schneider.

MG IMO has played this entire goalie situation very well. He has signed Schneider for a few years to a good contract, yet the entire time saying that he will do what it takes to make this team better. Business is business and the team knows that, including Schneids. ANything can happen boys and girls... I just hope it happens soon b/c I LOVE TRADES!!!

Go Lou! Go Schneids! GO CANUCKS!

5 years of terrible sloppy starts from Luongo, and 5 years of terrible finishing, and here are the typical hockey knowledge less canuck fans with the memory of a goldfish throwing our best asset, and our future in the dumpster, over 3 regular season wins against colorado, chicago, and edm. Sheesh. If we lose schnieder, just wait. The turnaround to you all bitching won't take long. We get it, Luongo is great, he's a phenomenal regular season goalie, he plays AWESOME against columbus in march, we all know! Go back and watch those chicago and boston series from start to finish, come back here, and continue the praising.

Here, watch that, one bad trade, we might see lots more of it.

And you're really bringing Boston up? Game 7 Stanley Cup final? Yes poor goaltending all the way :picard:

5- 7 Chicago game? Pull-Ugh-Ease! Fire power goes both ways and we're talking playoff quality gameplay, cream of the crop (The cream always raises to the top).

Lol. All the Lou lovers praying their bromance is not over but it is.

Folks accept the fact Lou is being traded once the right deal comes, and given his terrific start it wl come.

Most who suggest Schnieds will be the man understand something you people dont, asset management.

Yes Lou has played well but the issue of his trade has nothing to do with the regular season lads, it's everything to do with inconsistency in the playoffs.

Most elite goalies (border, hasek, Roy) were all able to raise their games in the playoffs.

Fact 1: if you look at Lou's save % average over his regular season career it matches up close to those names above.

Fact 2: if you look at his playoff save %, it has only been better than his regular season average save % ONCE in his career as a Canuck, and that was year 1.

Fact 3: in two of the last three playoffs his save % has been below .900 ( ie in the 800's).

Those are the reasons and FACTS behind why he will be moved. His play is only upping his value which helps the team.

Time to accept fact, asset management strategy, and reality. You folks are in a drug induced state of denial.

Lou lovers are like Republicans: very short memories.

I do like Lou, I really do, but I don't forget all the times where he had melt downs, or when he thru the team under the bus. Yes, he is a arguably a HOF goalie, but he doesn't get it done when it counts, and we have given him multiple opportunities.

Now, because of this and the upside/potential of Schneider, Lou will prob get traded because of what we can get back for him to help out team and the obvious pickle of having 2 #1's. However, I still think there is a chance (a good chance) that Schneids gets traded. If a team comes along and offers something really good (remember, he doesn't have a NTC so he can go anywhere) I'm quite certain that GM MG won't hesitate (ok, maybe he'll hesitate, but I don't think it will force him not to) to pull the trigger and trade Schneider.

MG IMO has played this entire goalie situation very well. He has signed Schneider for a few years to a good contract, yet the entire time saying that he will do what it takes to make this team better. Business is business and the team knows that, including Schneids. ANything can happen boys and girls... I just hope it happens soon b/c I LOVE TRADES!!!

Go Lou! Go Schneids! GO CANUCKS!

This is just Lou being Lou. Nothing out of the ordinary for him. He's practiced hard during the off-season in Florida with Allaire, and he's come out of the gates flying. Last I recall, during Lou's "off-year" last season, there were still many many games where he was their MVP, and so far that hasn't changed.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't trade him though. Like it or not, he has been hung out to dry by the city and many of its fanbase far too many times for the Canucks' playoff shortcomings (a bit unfair if you ask me) and this has permeated through the organization and that needs to be changed. Great goaltender though.

Possible Scenereo:

Lu Wants out cause "fans are mean" or whatever...

However hes not getting the bites he thought hed get.

has a realization "wow, no one wants me bad enough to trade a star"

I should play better/lighten up/work harder so that i can ;

1) be more appealing to this city.

2) be more appealing to my desired teams.

Just a thought...

Roberto Luongo has been incredible. He looks like a totaly different goalie. In the playoffs 3 seasons ago, he looked as if he pulled a groin and has been slow....not the case now. I think the lockout has had given his body time to heal. It is pretty tough to move him when he is the top goalie so far.

My guess is that MG does not move Luongo (if at all) this season.....which is ok with me (although not very practical).

Or what you have till you let him prove it.

Yes you are a kid bc you have a man crush on a hockey player like a 12 yr old Vs looking at asset mgmt. we have a young stud who can win now and gives us a chance for another 10 years, who is cheaper and stronger mentally and a better goaltender fundamentally. Yet you prefer to keep an older, more expensive asset that will give us a chance for 3 to 4 years. And don't give me we this we have lack bs. People jump on Schnieds ad being unproven but simultaneously suggest lack can take the reigns when he's never played an NHL game- complete lunacy of logic.

5 years of terrible sloppy starts from Luongo, and 5 years of terrible finishing, and here are the typical hockey knowledge less canuck fans with the memory of a goldfish throwing our best asset, and our future in the dumpster, over 3 regular season wins against colorado, chicago, and edm. Sheesh. If we lose schnieder, just wait. The turnaround to you all bitching won't take long. We get it, Luongo is great, he's a phenomenal regular season goalie, he plays AWESOME against columbus in march, we all know! Go back and watch those chicago and boston series from start to finish, come back here, and continue the praising.

Here, watch that, one bad trade, we might see lots more of it.

When Cory replaced Luongo in the playoffs last year against LA, Luongo assumed he was done here and asked Mike Gillis to find a good place to which he could be traded.

(Source: Team 1040 interview last week regarding the bolded part.)

This is a business after all is said and done and they (the Canucks and Luongo) have a contract.

Gillis is trying to accomodate Luongo but will not trade assets (like players under contract) for less than fair value for a star player of Luongo's quality.

Luongo will not go to teams he does not want to play for (non-movement clause).

Gillis is not required to trade Luongo under the terms of the contract and Luongo has to play for the Canucks if he wants to get paid.

For now, and until the right deal comes along (which both parties want as soon as possible), we have 2 excellent goalies and coach AV is riding the hot hand and putting up the Wins.

Luongo is more than doing his part, playing very well, even winning in shootouts, his attitude is incredibly improved, and he is way more relaxed and comfortable with the media.

It is uncomfortable for Corey and his agent but as a good character guy (also under contract) and a good teammate, they have to try to enjoy the team's success, play as well as possible, and wait it out.

As all know, the right deal may not come along until after the season (and playoffs); if we win the Cup, will Luongo still want to find another place to play?

Will Corey mind so much being on the Stanley Cup Champion team as a 1A or 1B goalie next year?

Sure we are going to miss Luongo, but until he rescinds his request to be moved, what else do you expect management to do?

You just said he is being moved for his inconsistent playoff play. So if that is the case you think teams going to want him? But you somehow are saying his play now is increasing his value, but we are moving him for his playoff play, Not increasing his value then by a few regular season games.

One hand you say he is going to be dealt for his bad playoff play, yet Canucks are trying to get a good return on him saying "take Luongo he is an all star goalie and we want all star players but we are moving him becuase of his poor playoff performance". lol makes no sense

To all the haters on this site and you know who you are, you make me laugh. You have so much hate that all you can see is nothing beyond what you believe to be true.

These threads are pointless, it is the same argument over and over. Haters of both sides can't see beyond their hate.

I am a huge Lu fan and admit he has had some bumps in the road here in Vancouver. All I can say now is, he is playing lights out and deserves more than your hate. To act like he is the sole reason we have had melt downs in the playoffs, is the stupidest argument ever used. The same meltdown argument can be directed at others as well, such as the Sedins, Kesler, and the defense. Those players don't seem to get as much hate as Lu. Lu has been a elite Goalie here and will always have my support.

For the Cory haters, he will be a star. Accept it and you will feel better. There is no reason for people to be against him in this fan base. This makes no sense to me. All the Cory haters use this small sample of games to claim he is not ready and I say we have not seen anything more than a team adjusting to each other. I firmly think when he gets more games under his belt this season, he will play much better.

As of right now, Lu is still here and while it may not be long, (sad) you need to go with the hot goalie. If and when Cory earns the net back, it will then be his to lose.

Edit: Spelling police caught me. :lol:

I think this is great!! We have a goalie winning and a goalie in waiting. Who's who depends on the week.

Also if we are going to trade Luo than all he is doing at the moment is increasing his trade value. If we kept him all season and split the games 50-50 between Schneider and Luo then we have two goalies going into playoffs well rested. Plus if Luo keeps his numbers high then in the off-season his value is up considerably from last season. In which universe is this bad.

There needs action before we get a Senna Prost drama happening, but with the attitude and friendship between the goalies I can't see an issue soon. If there is no trade sooner, let them battle for playoff start and see what happens.

To all the haters on this site and you know who you are, you make me laugh. You have so much hate that all you can see is nothing beyond what you believe to be true.

These threads are pointless, it is the same argument over and over. Haters of both sides can't see beyond there hate.

I am a huge Lu fan and admit he has had some bumps in the road here in Vancouver. All I can say now is, he is playing lights out and deserves more than your hate. To act like he is the sole reason we have had melt downs in the playoffs, is the stupidest argument ever used. The same meltdown argument can be directed at others as well, such as the Sedins, Kessler, and the defense. Those players don't seem to get as much hate as Lu. Lu has been a elite Goalie here and will always have my support.

For the Cory haters, he will be a star. Accept it and you will feel better. There is no reason for people to be against him in this fan base. This makes no sense to me. All the Cory haters use this small sample of games to claim he is not ready and I say we have not seen anything more than a team adjusting to each other. I firmly think when he gets more games under his belt this season, he will play much better.

As of right now, Lu is still here and while it may not be long, (sad) you need to go with the hot goalie. If and when Cory earns the net back, it will then be his to lose.

Archived