The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider's Agent concerned about goalie's playing time

hockeyfan90

In a previous thread about one day before the start of the season, I mentioned how terrible I feel for Schneider...just wait until he gets the same treatment from the fans and media as Lou did...everyone will turn on him as soon as he tanks a single playoff series. I was right...but it happened a lot faster than one playoff series :P Man, what a nightmare market for goalies...the team and management certainly aren't helping the situaion though...

"My experience in this thread is that folks are speaking ill of his agent for the most part, not Schneider himself. I don't see people turning on Schneider at all. If anything most people are appreciative of the untenable position he is in."

Luit would not have said this without running it by his client first. He is in the same position Luongo has been in for the better part of two years and he is handling it far worse.

You mean like Lu did when he walked from Florida - who gave him his chance in the NHL - to sign the most lucrative contract in the NHL with Vancouver?

Lu is the only "star" on this team that didn't take a discount to play here.

Have you ever heard him refer to the fans when he talks about why he plays or who he plays for? No. He talks about his teammates and himself.

LU is a great goalie and has performed well for Vancouver and I wish him well, but don't paint him as some kind of self-sacrificing martyr for the team.

"My experience in this thread is that folks are speaking ill of his agent for the most part, not Schneider himself. I don't see people turning on Schneider at all. If anything most people are appreciative of the untenable position he is in."

Schneider's position is not untenable, He just needs to wait for Luongo to lose or play bad. After that he needs to win or play well.

1) if Lu didn't "leave" Florida, then why is he not there? Florida wanted to sign him but couldn't afford what he was asking so they traded him. He was the architect of his departure. FIgure it out.

2) Lu's contract was front-end loaded making him the highest paid player in the NHL his first years at $6.7M (IIRC). Not much of a discount.

3) Lu wanted too much $$$ for Vancouver to agree to a shorter contract. The only way to get him to sign was to pay him big and the only to make that work was to go long-term.

Lu may be a great team mate and a great guy but he is not here as a philanthropist and he did not take a discount to play here.

This getting annoying Gillis. Trade one of them or guess what? They'll both want out this summer. This "patience" approach hasn't won us a cup and personally I don't see what the hold up is. Gillis had to knew coming into the season and not trading Luongo about Schneider's frustration. Gillis keeps tossing around words about team play but be has a blatant disregard for promises. Schneider has every right to be fuming, especially considering Gillis is an idiot. So either you move one of them ASAP or your butt is getting fired. And I mean it.

"TSN making it obvious who they work for. I assume they figure if they can stir up a controversy in Vancouver, than a Luongo trade will become more likely. Silly Eastern media.

Odd how they never seem to report on the Canucks, unless it has to do with some sort of controversy."

If Luit had simply said his client "was looking forward to getting a start but recognized that the priority was seeing the team win" there would have been no story here. Luit said more because he and his client wanted him to.

1) if Lu didn't "leave" Florida, then why is he not there? Florida wanted to sign him but couldn't afford what he was asking so they traded him. He was the architect of his departure. FIgure it out.

2) Lu's contract was front-end loaded making him the highest paid player in the NHL his first years at $6.7M (IIRC). Not much of a discount.

3) Lu wanted too much $$$ for Vancouver to agree to a shorter contract. The only way to get him to sign was to pay him big and the only to make that work was to go long-term.

Lu may be a great team mate and a great guy but he is not here as a philanthropist and he did not take a discount to play here.

Schneider's position is not untenable, He just needs to wait for Luongo to lose or play bad. After that he needs to win or play well.

Luit needs to keep his mouth shut before he makes Cory look like a selfish person. Looks like some people already think that.

Granted, if Cory did say that, or tell him to say it, then he has no place on our team. But for now, we don't know. We'll see what Cory has to say about it since we all know the media will be all over this.

"This getting annoying Gillis. Trade one of them or guess what? They'll both want out this summer. This "patience" approach hasn't won us a cup and personally I don't see what the hold up is. Gillis had to knew coming into the season and not trading Luongo about Schneider's frustration. Gillis keeps tossing around words about team play but be has a blatant disregard for promises. Schneider has every right to be fuming, especially considering Gillis is an idiot. So either you move one of them ASAP or your butt is getting fired. And I mean it."

I'm confused. Schneider has been here for awhile now and finally managed to win the starting job for a period of 2 games last year (granted they were games 3 and 4 of round 1 of the playoffs). The kid has never played more than 40 games in a year and he didn't show up for the his home opener to start the season. I'm happy Gillis didn't move Luongo for nothing this summer...

TSN making it obvious who they work for. I assume they figure if they can stir up a controversy in Vancouver, then a Luongo trade will become more likely. Silly Eastern media.

Odd how they never seem to report on the Canucks, unless it has to do with some sort of controversy.

"incapable of being maintained"

Just cause you bold does not make it right.

1) Let's agree Schneider is perfectly capable to sit on the bench while Luongo plays. After all Luongo did it in game 3 and 4 of the LAX series last year. He did it until Schneider lost and/or played bad!

2) Let's also agree the Canucks will not win the next 40 games in a row so it is perfectly realistic to expect that Schneider will at some point get a chance to win/play well again.

Archived