The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider's Agent concerned about goalie's playing time

hockeyfan90

ya my post is an epic fail alright...

Luongo came out after the playoffs and said it would be best to move on. You are correct he never made a fuss when schneider played those games in a row during the season, did i ever say he did?

I said that if luongo sat for an extended period of time now, something similar to this would leak out eventually

He said if they ask me to waive my NTC, he would. Luongo is a better teammate and still cares about the fans and the team winning even if some fans don't care about him. Schneider is just concerned about playing regardless. I bet Schnieder wants to build his value up here, and would walk for another team to sign a big contract.

I don't see any whining in that, nor do I see him saying "I want out of here because you didn't start me!" like you hinted at. I see Luo referencing a discussion that he obviously had with the team about them wanting to secure Schneider for the future and that very likely meant promising him the number 1 job, meaning Luo would have to leave if he still wanted to be a starter, which he of course does. Rather than complaining about that turn of events, Luo praised Schneider as a person and a player and said he absolutely deserved to be a starter and that if that's what the team thought was best he would move aside. That's not whining. That's professionalism and class all the way.

On the other hand, complaining via your agent to the media that the "other guy" needs to be traded already because, even though he's playing better and therefore giving the team a better chance to win in the handful of starts he's gotten, that's not what's best for that one individual player is the textbook definition of whining.

if schneider wanted to be a #1 and get paid, he would have never signed a 3 year deal when luongo was still on this team. waited for a trade or accepted an offer sheet.

He didnt do that, maybe because he is a team guy and was told he would be the #1 eventually. Im sure our Gm didnt tell schneider, hey sign with us we will give u #1 money but theres a good chance we will keep Luo all of next season. if that was even in the realm of possible im sure Schneider would have waited to sign an extension

Looking at the stats....

Not surprisingly, both goalies posted their weakest numbers of the season in Game 1.

Schneider Average (including first game): .859

Schneider Average (excluding first game): .932

Luongo Average (including first game): .931

Luongo Average (excluding first game): .950

Both have earned a shutout.

Some have suggested it's the quality of opponent that should be considered, so...

Schneider against SJ: .852

Luongo against Chicago: .964

(SJ has 15 pts in 9 games. Chicago has 16 in 9.)

So it seems obvious that the team would keep going with Luo until his play slips OR until the schedule bunches up in a couple of weeks, at which time Schneider will have a chance to make his case. Beyond that, we really should be considering ourselves the luckiest freaking team in the league to have this goalie "problem" in which we can bench a guy with a .932 average if you don't include that first game! Instead, we should be focusing on why it is the rest of the team seems to be having trouble maintaining focus and level of play.

You mean like Lu did when he walked from Florida - who gave him his chance in the NHL - to sign the most lucrative contract in the NHL with Vancouver?

Lu is the only "star" on this team that didn't take a discount to play here.

Have you ever heard him refer to the fans when he talks about why he plays or who he plays for? No. He talks about his teammates and himself.

LU is a great goalie and has performed well for Vancouver and I wish him well, but don't paint him as some kind of self-sacrificing martyr for the team.

I am actually surprised that Liut would show his concern via the media.It's a bit too early to start playing that card..It's a results driven business,simple as that,and Lou's brilliant goaltending should more than motivate CS to win back his job as the #1.

Without the distractions....

I think y'all just want to fight and have bad reading comprehension. Mike Liut is just voicing concerns about a overblown situation in a calm and uncontroversial manner. You are all reading way to much into this. There is reason for concern if you are Schnieder and his agent.

While I dont agree with the agent making a big media stink, I do agree he has a point. Schneider has been playing as a back -up for quite a while, and now they just offered him a contract as a starting goalie. And then they go and play Luongo 4 times in a row and play him like he's the starter. WTF? Yes Luongo is doing well now but how much of a chance has Schneider gotten? He blew one game in the opener and bounced back with a shut out against the ducks. Its about time they give him another shot. They've been taking a hell of a long time to resolve this issue. Now nobody knows what's going to happen. Luongo traded? Schneider traded? Both kept for the season? All this uncertainty is a real distraction. How long is this gonna go on for?

It's hard to prove urself when u get two bad games and get yanked , losing Ur starting position. What a joke. Then guy is not going to be perfect all the friggin time. They are showing zero patience with him and no doubt, I don't care what Schneider is actually saying, it will effect his confidence.

So he's nervous to have the stating position and was gripping the stick a little too tight his first game? I got a great idea. Lets solve that by pulling him it the next five games!!!!!!!

They let Lu " play through his rough patches " for half a decade. They couldn't however let Schneider play through two bad games ?

This man love for luongo is killing the potential in Schneider.

While I dont agree with the agent making a big media stink, I do agree he has a point. Schneider has been playing as a back -up for quite a while, and now they just offered him a contract as a starting goalie. And then they go and play Luongo 4 times in a row and play him like he's the starter. WTF? Yes Luongo is doing well now but how much of a chance has Schneider gotten? He blew one game in the opener and bounced back with a shut out against the ducks. Its about time they give him another shot. They've been taking a hell of a long time to resolve this issue. Now nobody knows what's going to happen. Luongo traded? Schneider traded? Both kept for the season? All this uncertainty is a real distraction. How long is this gonna go on for?

schneider posted a shutout against anaheim the team he got blown out by. Last i checked anaheim is currently 6-1-1. So he played very well against a team who is playing quite well to start the year, they just beat sanjose.

So schneider has deserved to play, even though lou is play very well. If schneider doesnt start thursday i would be shocked and disappointed. This is a stretch in the schedule where both goalies should be playing, as we have multiple days off between games so there is no way fatigue could be an issue, hence why both goalies should play.

I know ppl are saying run with the hot hand, and i dont dismiss that, but what happens if Luo wins another 6 games straight? or vice a versa. You have to give both your goalies some playing time to keep them both sharp, and happy given the current situation

schnieder dosent have a a long contract agents gets paid when their players sign contracts players sign contract based on the body of their work this agent is seeing his up and comming superstar goalie get placed on the bench ... i doubt this had anything to do with schnieder complaining about anything more less an agent looking out for himself.

Archived