374 replies to this topic

#271 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

1) if Lu didn't "leave" Florida, then why is he not there? Florida wanted to sign him but couldn't afford what he was asking so they traded him. He was the architect of his departure. FIgure it out.

2) Lu's contract was front-end loaded making him the highest paid player in the NHL his first years at $6.7M (IIRC). Not much of a discount.

3) Lu wanted too much $$$ for Vancouver to agree to a shorter contract. The only way to get him to sign was to pay him big and the only to make that work was to go long-term.

Lu may be a great team mate and a great guy but he is not here as a philanthropist and he did not take a discount to play here.

I thought i thoroughly explain the whole thing for you, and you managed to overlook them and crap on them.

1. Please give me the source on how Florida couldn't afford to sign Luongo. Florida made a bone head move and traded Luongo when they are very close in completely the new contract extension. Luongo literally asked for a shorter term with the same money in the condition of having a NTC and keeping his goalie coach.

Just this point shows you are basing your opinion on literally nothing but your assumption.

Also, it was you who claimed Luongo left Florida so he could sign a richer contract in Vancouver, but the fact is that he had no idea where he was going to be trade to, and that he didn't ask to get trade in the first place. He was just negotiating a contract like every single hockey players would.

2. Sidney Crosby's cap hit, which was signed in 2007, was EIGHT POINT SEVEN MILLION A YEAR. Mat Sundin was offered a 10 million a year contract by Gillis. Lundqvist's cap hit IS CURRENTLY SITTING AT 6.7 MILLION A YEAR.

Don't come here and tell me that Luongo didn't take a discount for the team.

3. Err your source? cos i have no idea htf did you manage to pull out this statment out of your ass.

and hey... where is the "Luongo didn't thank the fans and i am the guy who play for Luongo's salary" crap? You even manage to skip your argument about Luongo's charity stuffs during his time in vancouver.

seriously dude, if i were you, i will shut it because you are just that ill-informed on literally everything about our goalie

Edited by debluvscanucks, 06 February 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#272 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

"My experience in this thread is that folks are speaking ill of his agent for the most part, not Schneider himself. I don't see people turning on Schneider at all. If anything most people are appreciative of the untenable position he is in."

Schneider's position is not untenable, He just needs to wait for Luongo to lose or play bad. After that he needs to win or play well.

Untenable:

adjective
  • (of theories, propositions, etc) incapable of being maintained, defended, or vindicated
  • unable to be maintained against attack
  • (rare) (of a house, etc) unfit for occupation

Synonyms: unreasonable, insupportable, flawed, shaky

At the moment, Schneider's position is untenable and the majority of users posting in this thread are appreciative of that fact.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 05 February 2013 - 09:34 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#273 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

Luit needs to keep his mouth shut before he makes Cory look like a selfish person. Looks like some people already think that.

Granted, if Cory did say that, or tell him to say it, then he has no place on our team. But for now, we don't know. We'll see what Cory has to say about it since we all know the media will be all over this.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#274 twice_removed

twice_removed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

"This getting annoying Gillis. Trade one of them or guess what? They'll both want out this summer. This "patience" approach hasn't won us a cup and personally I don't see what the hold up is. Gillis had to knew coming into the season and not trading Luongo about Schneider's frustration. Gillis keeps tossing around words about team play but be has a blatant disregard for promises. Schneider has every right to be fuming, especially considering Gillis is an idiot. So either you move one of them ASAP or your butt is getting fired. And I mean it."

I'm confused. Schneider has been here for awhile now and finally managed to win the starting job for a period of 2 games last year (granted they were games 3 and 4 of round 1 of the playoffs). The kid has never played more than 40 games in a year and he didn't show up for the his home opener to start the season. I'm happy Gillis didn't move Luongo for nothing this summer...

#275 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:41 PM

2 of the last 3 cup winners and the best line of budding superstars is weaker? you're basing this on less than 10 games

Schneider had to play with a sluggish team that didn't get there legs moving until 5+ games in and yet we're still not 100%. Luongo on the other hand is getting to play with a better conditioned team.
Posted Image

#276 zombieksa

zombieksa

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,270 posts

My biggest question is if Schneider is traded, does Lu commit? or does he continue to act as if he expects/wants a trade? He has seemed poised and professional, but does he actually want to be here if he is the official starter?
"All religion, my friend, is simply evolved out of fraud, fear, greed, imagination, and poetry."
-Edgar Allen Poe

#277 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

TSN making it obvious who they work for. I assume they figure if they can stir up a controversy in Vancouver, then a Luongo trade will become more likely. Silly Eastern media.

Odd how they never seem to report on the Canucks, unless it has to do with some sort of controversy.

My thoughts exactly. I'm guessing they've been calling Luit trying to stir something up.. Lets call up CS agent and see if we can get him to stir the pot.

We know the media is going to be all over this and I'm sure it will get cleared up real fast just like the Mg in Washington stuff. I predict some back pedaling, apologetic, explanation statements from Luit in the next 2 days.

#278 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

1) if Lu didn't "leave" Florida, then why is he not there? Florida wanted to sign him but couldn't afford what he was asking so they traded him. He was the architect of his departure. FIgure it out.

2) Lu's contract was front-end loaded making him the highest paid player in the NHL his first years at $6.7M (IIRC). Not much of a discount.

3) Lu wanted too much $$$ for Vancouver to agree to a shorter contract. The only way to get him to sign was to pay him big and the only to make that work was to go long-term.

Lu may be a great team mate and a great guy but he is not here as a philanthropist and he did not take a discount to play here.

What do you care what his salary was? It's only his cap hit that matters. And at 5.33, yea that is a great deal for a player of his caliber.

Ever think too that maybe Luongo wanted a longer contract so he could retire here? It's not always about money.

#279 twice_removed

twice_removed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

"incapable of being maintained"

Just cause you bold does not make it right.

1) Let's agree Schneider is perfectly capable to sit on the bench while Luongo plays. After all Luongo did it in game 3 and 4 of the LAX series last year. He did it until Schneider lost and/or played bad!

2) Let's also agree the Canucks will not win the next 40 games in a row so it is perfectly realistic to expect that Schneider will at some point get a chance to win/play well again.

#280 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:43 PM

My biggest question is if Schneider is traded, does Lu commit? or does he continue to act as if he expects/wants a trade? He has seemed poised and professional, but does he actually want to be here if he is the official starter?

I'm sure MG would address that before making any trades.

#281 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,409 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

2) Let's also agree the Canucks will not win the next 40 games in a row so it is perfectly realistic to expect that Schneider will at some point get a chance to win/play well again.

Exactly why Cory needs to tell his agent to keep his mouth shut. Luit's got some issues if he really thinks that's a possibility. Even if we do keep winning, we wouldn't just let Cory sit the entire time.

#282 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:49 PM

lol there's 7 goalies in the NHL that make more than Luongo, and of them I would only consider Lundqvist better. He easily could have gotten more money if he wanted, a 5.333 million dollar caphit and a 6.7 million dollar salary is a discount for Luongo

How many were making that money when Lu signed?

#283 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:50 PM

Luongo will be traded to the Caps tomorrow. You heard it here first..

#284 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:51 PM

"incapable of being maintained"

Just cause you bold does not make it right.

1) Let's agree Schneider is perfectly capable to sit on the bench while Luongo plays. After all Luongo did it in game 3 and 4 of the LAX series last year. He did it until Schneider lost and/or played bad!

Let's just agree that you don't understand my point and move on.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 05 February 2013 - 09:52 PM.

#285 twice_removed

twice_removed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

"Exactly why Cory needs to tell his agent to keep his mouth shut. Luit's got some issues if he really thinks that's a possibility. Even if we do keep winning, we wouldn't just let Cory sit the entire time."

First... I agree with you. AV has been pretty clear he plays the goalie he thinks gives him the best chance to win. That means as long as the team wins AND Luongo plays well Luongo should keep playing. However, in the worst case scenario we all know Schneider will get back in during the next back to back. At the worst he knows he is playing again is a few weeks. At the bext Luongo lays an egg in a couple days. I don't see why he needed to get his agent to speak now.

#286 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:58 PM

What do you care what his salary was? It's only his cap hit that matters. And at 5.33, yea that is a great deal for a player of his caliber.

Ever think too that maybe Luongo wanted a longer contract so he could retire here? It's not always about money.

I don't think I said he wasnt worth the money. I said he didn't take a discount at the time.

Lu's been pretty candid about his desire to be closer to family out east or in Florida. I don't think the contract term was to secure all those years in Vancouver but it is structured to give him control over where he goes.

#287 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:59 PM

the others weren't making that money when Lu signed was because

*drum roll*

THEY WERE STILL IN THE CONTRACT THAT THEY SIGNED BEFORE THEY BROKE OUT.

wow, what a surprise. A player in their entry level contract weren't getting pay like an elite goalie should.

#288 twice_removed

twice_removed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:01 PM

"Let's just agree that you don't understand my point and move on."

I understand the point you were trying to make but unfortunately it is wrong. Presumably you realize that at the latest Schneider will start one of the two back to back games in the near-term so he will have every opportunity to win his job back. It would be tough to argue his position is untenable when he will have an opportunity to change it inside of 14 days.

#289 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

the others weren't making that money when Lu signed was because

*drum roll*

THEY WERE STILL IN THE CONTRACT THAT THEY SIGNED BEFORE THEY BROKE OUT.

wow, what a surprise. A player in their entry level contract weren't getting pay like an elite goalie should.

Thanks for confirming my point.

#290 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

"Let's just agree that you don't understand my point and move on."

I understand the point you were trying to make but unfortunately it is wrong. Presumably you realize that at the latest Schneider will start one of the two back to back games in the near-term so he will have every opportunity to win his job back. It would be tough to argue his position is untenable when he will have an opportunity to change it inside of 14 days.

I don't believe it is wrong so we will have to agree to disagree. This situation in Vancouver is untenable for Schneider. The situation cannot be maintained forever. He is far too good a goalie to sit on the bench for a good portion of this season. Obviously his agent feels that way as per his comments to the media. He will get to play again this season but it is unreasonable to expect that he wants to remain the backup goalie. THAT is the untenable position he finds himself in. :)

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 05 February 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#291 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,306 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

"TSN making it obvious who they work for. I assume they figure if they can stir up a controversy in Vancouver, than a Luongo trade will become more likely. Silly Eastern media.

Odd how they never seem to report on the Canucks, unless it has to do with some sort of controversy."

If Luit had simply said his client "was looking forward to getting a start but recognized that the priority was seeing the team win" there would have been no story here. Luit said more because he and his client wanted him to.

Really? I highly doubt that Liut went to TSN to tell them his concerns.

TSN most likely went to him to get a story. And it looks like he gave them one. Amateur move by him, but I have no doubt TSN is the one behind the story.

Don't be fooled by TSN's intentions. They wanna sell stories. And what better way to do that then to try and stir up controversy. Bottom line is, they've been pumping up the Luongo trade since the offseason. And if it doesn't happen, they have no story. For them, Luongo to the Leafs would be the story of the year. So, anything they can do to try and manipulate that, they're clearly willing to do.

Edited by DeNiro, 05 February 2013 - 10:12 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#292 Zackassian

Zackassian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:12 PM

Apparently everyone missed the phone interview team 1040 had with the agent this evening. He said that a reporter asked him the questions and took his responses out of context. Obviously not surprising, and I'm sure he could have handled it better and not commented so much. I'm really getting sick of the way media and fans blow everything out of proportion.
It's a split squad game.

#293 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

Funny Luongo was perfectly fine when Schneider had 6 back to back games last season. Quit whinning Schneider and play the game. It is a team sport and it should not matter as long as Canucks are winning.

Agreed, this should reveal any flaws in Schneider's character, if any; and Schneider himself should know that getting wins for the team is the bottom line and if it's the other guy that's doing it, the moment he falters and you're put in, you better play good enough to win.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#294 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:43 PM

aslong as schroeders agent isnt worried about icetime im fine
Posted Image

#295 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,744 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

It'll be funny when Schneider becomes the next Hodgson. :lol:

- This is just a bunch of fluff...

Edited by The Phaneuf Train, 05 February 2013 - 10:51 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#296 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

well when did Luongo sign his big contract, just before the 2010-2011 season? I think all of the goalies currently with higher caphits \had already signed those contracts except for Price and Rinne, so most of them were all making more when he signed it. oh and people say Luongo's contract is too much, his caphit before 2010-2011 was 6.750 so he actually had a HIGHER caphit before he signed the new contract.

here's the list of goalie caphits, Luongo is currently 9th

http://www.capgeek.c...tion=G&limit=25

Edited by Primus099, 05 February 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#297 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

I thought i thoroughly explain the whole thing for you, and you managed to overlook them and crap on them.

1. Please give me the source on how Florida couldn't afford to sign Luongo. Florida made a bone head move and traded Luongo when they are very close in completely the new contract extension. Luongo literally asked for a shorter term with the same money in the condition of having a NTC and keeping his goalie coach.

Just this point shows you are basing your opinion on literally nothing but your assumption.

Also, it was you who claimed Luongo left Florida so he could sign a richer contract in Vancouver, but the fact is that he had no idea where he was going to be trade to, and that he didn't ask to get trade in the first place. He was just negotiating a contract like every single hockey players would.

2. Sidney Crosby's cap hit, which was signed in 2007, was EIGHT POINT SEVEN MILLION A YEAR. Mat Sundin was offered a 10 million a year contract by Gillis. Lundqvist's cap hit IS CURRENTLY SITTING AT 6.7 MILLION A YEAR.

Don't come here and tell me that Luongo didn't take a discount for the team.

3. Err your source? cos i have no idea htf did you manage to pull out this statment out of your ass.

and hey... where is the "Luongo didn't thank the fans and i am the guy who play for Luongo's salary" crap? You even manage to skip your argument about Luongo's charity stuffs during his time in vancouver.

seriously dude, if i were you, i will shut it because you are just that ill-informed on literally everything about our goalie

Why do you think Florida traded Lu (their star goalie) in the midst of negotiating his contract renewal? Could it be that he was asking too much and they wanted to get something for him rather than have him walk?

At the risk of upsetting you (and contrary to your advie), I wiill say it again, when Lu negotiated his contract, he in no way took a discount to play here. He may be worth every penny he is getting paid but he did not take a discount.

And what's with the "dude"? Your name Lebowsky?

#298 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Why do you think Florida traded Lu (their star goalie) in the midst of negotiating his contract renewal? Could it be that he was asking too much and they wanted to get something for him rather than have him walk?

At the risk of upsetting you (and contrary to your advie), I wiill say it again, when Lu negotiated his contract, he in no way took a discount to play here. He may be worth every penny he is getting paid but he did not take a discount.

And what's with the "dude"? Your name Lebowsky?

err any source behind your above statement?

seriously, how the hell could people make bold statement like that without having anything to back up their claim? Give me a source of Luongo asking for too much, and we will continue this discussion.

WHERE IS YOUR SOURCE BEHIND ALL YOUR CLAIMS?

and how do you respond to your "luongo doesn't care about the fans in vancouver despite all the charity he donates."?

Edited by debluvscanucks, 06 February 2013 - 08:02 AM.
Removed personal attacks

#299 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,351 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:20 PM

seriously, how the hell could people make bold statement like that without having anything to back up their claim? Give me a source of Luongo asking for too much, and we will continue this discussion.

WHERE IS YOUR SOURCE BEHIND ALL YOUR CLAIMS?

and how do you respond to your "luongo doesn't care about the fans in vancouver despite all the charity he donates.

You completely ignored my question as to why YOU think Florida traded their star goalie.

Using insults and abusive language doesn't impress or make you look more knowledgeable (quite the contrary).

BTW - your last sentence is good advice but you should phrase it correctly for maximum effect.
ALSO - if you quote a poster, put his/her words in the quotation not some interpretation to fit your own agenda. I never said what you quoted.

You think Lu took a discount on his last contract and I don't agree.

Nothing more to discuss here.

#300 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:25 PM

You completely ignored my question as to why YOU think Florida traded their star goalie.

Using insults and abusive language doesn't impress or make you look more knowledgeable (quite the contrary).

BTW - your last sentence is good advice but you should phrase it correctly for maximum effect.
ALSO - if you quote a poster, put his/her words in the quotation not some interpretation to fit your own agenda. I never said what you quoted.

You think Lu took a discount on his last contract and I don't agree.

Nothing more to discuss here.

err... why do teams trade their players? Why are there trades? are all trades happen because the players want too much?

continue to ignore the outrageous point you made such as Luongo never thank the fans, or he abandoned the team that got him into the nhl because of the money vancouver provide doesn't make you look good dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.