374 replies to this topic

#331 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:03 PM

"And Bodee....again, it's not MG's fault....teams appear to be undervaluing Lu and I'm glad he (MG) seems to be standing firm. Sure, teams want to snap up other players but what he is doing is creating a situation where he's drawn a line in the sand and only serious bidders will be considered. Once Lu's gone, he's gone. We need to get valuable assets in return and if the right package hasn't been presented, what is he to do? You're also forgetting that Lu has a hand in this and may be rejecting some of the teams/offers himself."

I'm sorry Deb but I think GM has made a noose for his own neck here.
He should never have said that either of the goalies were available publicly. I still remember being dumfounded at the way Luongo was publicly made to look surplus to requirements
As for deals, he can't get them done. For all his apparent hard nose attitude (as you see it) we never come away smelling of roses. Booth...a project, Florida were glad to ditch (along with Reinprecht) He could have hung on 1 year and Sammy AND Sturm were gone anyway. He made a huge blunder giving Sturm, with his critical injury history a year at $2,25 in the first place. (now back in Germany by the way)

Then we lose Hodgson AND Sulzer (a guy who is holding his own in the Buffalo team) for a young giant who "may" make a difference next year while taking Gragnani a duffer who never showed anything despite AV unsettling the team to avoid sending him down. In amongst that was the very very ordinary Pahlsson, who not surprisingly is back in Sweden.

Lastly there is Garrison someone who amazingly came as a ufa and landed a 6 year/$27.6 contract on the strength of one good season at ..........you've guessed it Florida (our Midas touch in reverse nemesis )
I'm sorry but much as I like GM in other respects his halo is slipping imo when it comes to getting what this team needs.

Edited by Bodee, 06 February 2013 - 01:05 PM.

Kevin.jpg

#332 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

According to Luit the article should be read from end to start. Says that's the proper order of the interview

#333 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I'd get rid of that agent in a hurry. He's doing a disservice to his client and himself. As a team would you want to sign a player with an agent that blurts out to the media and thinks he can force the teams hand? Basically a potential nuisance to the organization. Who is this guy? Does he understand what's involved in a trade and its potential ramifications to the team and its successes. You got your client a good longterm deal...you've done your job...be happy. This is a team sport and its all about the wins and not your clients ice time. If Lu was doing terrible and the team was still resistant to use Schneider then that's cause for concern and address it with management "privately".

Take the time to listen to the TEAM 1040 interviews posted above with Liut and Gillis.

This is a TSN story, using out of context quotes to generate maximum controversy.

I have had this happen to me by the press and you can't believe how good they are at twisting your answers and using closed -ended questions to trap you and achieve their chosen story line.

Liut has spoken with Gilman and they are fine. Cory had no part in any of this as it was a reporter seeking out Liut not Liut looking to make a statement for his client.

#334 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

"And Bodee....again, it's not MG's fault....teams appear to be undervaluing Lu and I'm glad he (MG) seems to be standing firm. Sure, teams want to snap up other players but what he is doing is creating a situation where he's drawn a line in the sand and only serious bidders will be considered. Once Lu's gone, he's gone. We need to get valuable assets in return and if the right package hasn't been presented,
what is he to do? You're also forgetting that Lu has a hand in this and may be rejecting some of the teams/offers himself."

I'm sorry Deb but I think GM has made a noose for his own neck here.
He should never have said that either of the goalies were available publicly. I still remember being dumfounded at the way Luongo was publicly made to look surplus to requirements
As for deals, he can't get them done. For all his apparent hard nose attitude (as you see it) we never come away smelling of roses. Booth...a project, Florida were glad to ditch (along with Reinprecht) He could have hung on 1 year and Sammy AND Sturm were gone anyway. He made a huge blunder giving Sturm, with his critical injury history a year at $2,25 in the first place. (now back in Germany by the way)

Then we lose Hodgson AND Sulzer (a guy who is holding his own in the Buffalo team) for a young giant who "may" make a difference next year while taking Gragnani a duffer who never showed anything despite AV unsettling the team to avoid sending him down. In amongst that was the very very ordinary Pahlsson, who not surprisingly is back in Sweden.

Lastly there is Garrison someone who amazingly came as a ufa and landed a 6 year/$27.6 contract on the strength of one good season at ..........you've guessed it Florida (our Midas touch in reverse nemesis )
I'm sorry but much as I like GM in other respects his halo is slipping imo when it comes to getting what this team needs.

off topic to the section but i would like to say some points about what you wrote

i agree with quite a bit of what you said.

as for Booth, so far in his limited action as a canuck i would say he hasnt shown us the player we thought we were getting but lets give him a break still.

Garrison- I think we overpaid for him, when we allowed Salo to walk it was the best opportunity to allow Ballard and his 4.2m to actually be used properly. The thing i really dont like, is how Garrison isnt being used well at all on the PP, and who does that fall on the coach. He has a bomb of a shot, which we lost in Salo and he had 11 PP goals i believe last year far more than any canuck d man.

Ballard- This trade looked good at first but with his slow start he immediately became AV least favourite player. Hes been used so poorly his value and ice time has diminished, yes this year he is doing better, best to trade him now before he falters and gets in the doghouse again.

We also lost out on Howden, which in my opinion would have been nice to have around, compete with schroeder for playing time this year. Bernier was not a big loss, although he played a useful role with the devils last post season. grabner was a sniper that we havent had in how long, and he wasnt given a fair shot to play before we unloaded him.

The hodgson trade- Well thats too early to tell. I hated to seee him go because he has the skill to easily be a sniping playmaking top 6 forward in the league. Whats worse is losing Sulzer, I thought we was a great depth d man, better than barker, or alberts. But he too was never given a fair shot to show what he has in AV system, look at him now??

the one trade GM MG stole is obvious- erhoff, glad we had him glad we let him go for what he got paid and the term.

GM MG- Hasnt made the best FA offers: Sundin what an overpayment, sturm, not keeping samuelsson really hurt us in my opinion. garrison siging for 6 years @ 4.6m is a huge contract to give, i think he will be decent though, hope he gets used better.

But what he has done is keep lack luster players around for too long like Raymond, he has to go, hes yet to go get proven playoff performers who add grit, and scoring as once the regular season ends, we seem to have a harder time scoring especially when we play against a certain type of team, also that falls on the coach for not changing things up.

#335 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,821 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Take the time to listen to the TEAM 1040 interviews posted above with Liut and Gillis.

This is a TSN story, using out of context quotes to generate maximum controversy.

I have had this happen to me by the press and you can't believe how good they are at twisting your answers and using closed -ended questions to trap you and achieve their chosen story line.

Liut has spoken with Gilman and they are fine. Cory had no part in any of this as it was a reporter seeking out Liut not Liut looking to make a statement for his client.

Exactly. Much ado about.... helping pressure Gillis to send Luo to TO for a lowball.
Keep panhandling Toronto.

#336 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:25 PM

If that were the case, a rebuttal to that story warranting the same exposure should have been made discrediting the reporter and his claims/story ASAP before its become the runaway train that it is to salvage his reputation and his clients. At the end of the day, I still would not want an agent who talks to the media. I don't need the extra drama and potentially affect my career.

Edited by Mauii, 06 February 2013 - 01:32 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#337 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,821 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'd get rid of that agent in a hurry. He's doing a disservice to his client and himself. As a team would you want to sign a player with an agent that blurts out to the media and thinks he can force the teams hand? Basically a potential nuisance to the organization. Who is this guy? Does he understand what's involved in a trade and its potential ramifications to the team and its successes. You got your client a good longterm deal...you've done your job...be happy. This is a team sport and its all about the wins and not your clients ice time. If Lu was doing terrible and the team was still resistant to use Schneider then that's cause for concern and address it with management "privately".

I agree to a limited extent - I don't think it really helps Schneider for his agent to create more potential noise around the issue - and it doesn't help Gillis get a deal done to hasten the process. I understand that Liut is pushing for what he believes are his client's best interests, but getting a deal done in the best terms for the Canucks are also in Schneider's interest - so I'd have to say Liut may not have effectively made the best public statement, but his concerns are understandable. They did negotiate in exceptionally good faith, but perhaps it's not yet time to be losing patience - Schneider has probably only conceded a couple of starts at this point - in the long run, that's not worth the noise.

Edited by oldnews, 06 February 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#338 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:33 PM

If that were the case, a rebuttal to that story warranting the same exposure should have been made discrediting the reporter and his claims/story ASAP before its become the runaway train that it is to salvage his reputation and his clients.

That's what he did by first calling GIlman to mend that relationship and then agreeing to an interview with TEAM 1040 to rebutt the article. It;s not as if TSN is going to give him a spot on their program to trash their story.

#339 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

let me ask, who would you rather have in goal? Niemi, Crawford, Halak, Howard, Quick, Hiller, Elliot, Dubnyk, Smith, Rinne, Backstrom, Varlamov, Mason, Kiprusoft? Take a look, these are all the western division goaltenders, I'll take Luongo over any one of them.

Laid out like that it becomes a no brainer.

I'd take any 2 of of Rinne, Quick, Luongo and Schneider.

Looking at the cap hits, thats $7m, $6m, $5.3 and $4.

Yeah I'd say Schneider/Luongo are the best pair.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#340 higgyfan

higgyfan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:38 PM

Pages and pages of speculation here. Some fans think they know what has been, is being said, or even will be said amongst the players, coaches and GM. Most grownups know that you can't read things written by the press verbatum. Using all this hogwash to bash Schnieder is making Nuck 'fans' look like a bunch of schoolyard kiddies. Nobody has any idea how this is going to play out and that may even include MG.

But don't mind me...continue on with eating your young.

#341 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • 14,821 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

"Vancouver has a decision to make with their goaltending, everybody knows that. We don't need to add more to it than that."

I think Liut made entirely reasonable comments for the most part, but he's dealing with a media market in Vancouver that loves to be controversy driven, and a needy market in Toronto that is seeking to make an opportunity of anything they possibly can to get a handout from Vancouver. People like to cherry pick comments so they can isolate what they choose to interpret conveniently, hoping to make more of it than is really there. It's just noise.

#342 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

Posted Image

Please can someone message me when our local media decides its time to switch it back to the other way? I don't wanna be behind the curve.

#343 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

As a former agent, stuff like this much just infuriate Gillis. Agents know better than this, to try and involve the media. Amateur move by Liut.

The owners should have pushed to have agents be banned from making comments about their clients to the media in the new CBA. They always do more harm then good when they open there mouths.

That's why you gotta respect a guy like JP Barry. Say what you want about him, but he's a pro, and hardly leaks anything out to the media.

Did you even read the Sun article? It seems far more likely the way it reads that they contacted Liut about the situation. Nothing he said was out of line. Nor did he say anything that hockey analysts haven't already said.
Posted Image

#344 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Schneider sounded pretty bitter himself in that interview as well. He's obviously too young and immature to handle this situation with grace the way Luongo did and it should be of no surprise to anyone.

Lu is the perfect professional, Schneider is still a nobody in this league.

I take it you missed Lou's interview after the first round exit when he said he'd waive his NTC. Seemed a tad bitter himself.
Posted Image

#345 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

Funny comments coming from a guy who has disputed that Lou wants a trade?

:)

I take it you missed Lou's interview after the first round exit when he said he'd waive his NTC. Seemed a tad bitter himself.

#346 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

Maybe you should give this a listen....

In a radio conversion you get to hear the complete answer plus the questions and answers in the order occur. With print media they get to put your answers in any order they choose nor do they have to print the persons entire answer. Then they can slap on any headline they choose.

This is just another huge overreaction by self righteous Canuck fans.
Posted Image

#347 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

Did you even read the Sun article? It seems far more likely the way it reads that they contacted Liut about the situation. Nothing he said was out of line. Nor did he say anything that hockey analysts haven't already said.

Yep. I already said that the media most likely contacted him.

Doesn't mean he has to give them any sort of comment. He chose to do what he did, knowing full well that any comment he made like this was going to create headlines.

Amateur move by him.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#348 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Funny comments coming from a guy who has disputed that Lou wants a trade?

:)

All I've ever heard him say is he's willing to waive his NTC. I've never actually heard him say himself that he "wants" to be traded. Just he'd do what's best for the team. I have heard him say that until MG tells him he's traded he's a Canuck.

But he did not look happy at all in that first interview after the LA series ended. Which is all I said above.
Posted Image

#349 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,228 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yep. I already said that the media most likely contacted him.

Doesn't mean he has to give them any sort of comment. He chose to do what he did, knowing full well that any comment he made like this was going to create headlines.

Amateur move by him.

I'll say it again, nothing he said was out of line. It's a case of people making a mountain out of a mole hill. A typical Canuck fan overreaction.
Posted Image

#350 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,127 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

I've posted this for you before; 10:10 "Its time to move on and I'm ok with that!" "Everyone can see what's going on..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcnELWHTefU

edit add cut to the chase from interview

PS time for a new siggy. People will think your trolling, either that or a hypocrite for "reaching out" to encourage others not to discuss Hodgson on an ongoing basis.

All I've ever heard him say is he's willing to waive his NTC. I've never actually heard him say himself that he "wants" to be traded. Just he'd do what's best for the team. I have heard him say that until MG tells him he's traded he's a Canuck.

But he did not look happy at all in that first interview after the LA series ended. Which is all I said above.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 06 February 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#351 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

I need to respond to this it was from the other thread posted by cmpunk, not sure how mods let something go 3 pages before deciding to close it.

"when has Luongo ever complained about getting ice time? He has never because he hasn't had to because he has been the number 1 guy since he got here!

I don't ever recall him last year when Schneider played 6 in a row or anytime since he's been here complain becuase the back up was playing. Lu likes to play every game if he could that is how he is fierce, but he has never complained or made it known that he wants ice time.

I'm sure Schneider is just as competitive and fierce. But when you got agents saying it, then it becomes another story and complaining and an actual issue."

As you mentioned it was schneiders agent who said something, and he was not complaining he said he hopes schneider gets more starts like any agent would, but its being blown out of control by luongo fans who hate schneider, and the media, and now people are not bothering to read the full article either which comes across much less hostile.

Those 6 starts comments last year are wrong if i remember correctly, cory got 6 starts while lou was injured last year for 3-4 games, yet it never gets mentioned, lou was ready to return and they kept cory in for a game or two, so the 6 starts is not completely accurate.

And now as for roberto not complaining about ice time, roberto has turned into a true pro it was not always like that in his early years when he was corys age, but he really learned how to handle the media. Regardless roberto's ice time issue is the entire goalie controversy, he asked for a trade this summer, and as he should, just like cory who is competitive and wants to play, so is roberto, he asked for a trade because the team went with cory, and imo he had all right to do so, and I dont blame him one bit, but lets not act like roberto is completely fine with this situation and his ice time either. If he was, gillis would not be looking at other destinations for him currently.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#352 foskco87

foskco87

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:58 PM

I dont know Im still not convinced we should get rid of luo and keep schneider. I mean really if Schneider is able to do half of what luongo did for van we should be happy. Luongo is a garunteed #1 we know is a world class goalie. Any issues we had before while luongo was our goalie were probably not his problems so much as the entire teams. Schneider is still somewhat unproven and while I believe he could be a top goalie there is no garuntee.

#353 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

This is just another huge overreaction by self righteous Canuck fans.

*round of applause*

Edit:

It's a case of people making a mountain out of a mole hill. A typical Canuck fan overreaction.

Edited by Smashian Kassian, 06 February 2013 - 11:37 PM.

zackass.png

#354 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

If GM says he is thinking about putting you up for trade...............what do you say. "I'm not going" or "Oh well it looks like they don't want me, what can I say?".................so to save some face and being a proud guy he saves GM's face and says "it's time to move on"

It all stinks of a giant f----up by the Canucks and Luongo trying to settle things down like the classy guy he is.
Kevin.jpg

#355 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

But he's left something out.  What if they win the cup?  In stating "disaster", it's a selfish projection.

Good point. I doubt Boston views 2010-11 as "a disaster", even if Rask was ticked that the old guy took the starting job back.

However, that is not happening here. Lu will eventually be traded. I think if Gillis doesn't get the offer he wants by the deadline, he'll move him for less just to be done with it.
Posted Image

#356 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,108 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

The more I read about this "story", the more it seems like...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#357 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

So I wonder what does old Mikey boy have to say now?

#358 UFTcan

UFTcan

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

What a baby.. Maybe when you sign a contract u should stfu and do what your bosses who own your contract say.

How many single minded whiners we have on this TEAM?

This kid should learn a PR move like Ballard did when he was being called out, showed team colors instead of this solo crap.

Luongo has better numbers but Schnieder has 3 more games played and also 3 more losses, and hasnt exactly looked good lately in these games either.

Luongo > Schnieder

And if you dont like your contract stay at home and save us your overpaid back up money.

#359 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:44 PM

What a baby.. Maybe when you sign a contract u should stfu and do what your bosses who own your contract say.

How many single minded whiners we have on this TEAM?

This kid should learn a PR move like Ballard did when he was being called out, showed team colors instead of this solo crap.

Luongo has better numbers but Schnieder has 3 more games played and also 3 more losses, and hasnt exactly looked good lately in these games either.

Luongo > Schnieder

And if you dont like your contract stay at home and save us your overpaid back up money.

This parade has long since passed but thanks for coming out.

#360 allkill326

allkill326

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,270 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:45 PM

Can't Liut just suggest Schneider be traded to earn more ice time in another team?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.