374 replies to this topic

#91 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,154 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Luongo never complained for ice time, he is the only Canuck recently to show true loyalty to this team.

MG has to respect that and show loyalty to whoever is loyal to him. Keep Luongo, trade Schneider.

I guess I know what the "DownUnda" stands for:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#92 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

in all honesty not sure why people arent too surprised. If the roles were reversed Luongo's agent would say something along the lines of "We would like to see luo get some game time to keep his skills sharp, in liu of him eventually being dealt"

So to be im fine with his agent saying that, hes just stating the obvious we all knew already, but since the agent said it, now its a big deal and we have to call cory the next hodgson and stuff? come on...

#93 InTheCrease

InTheCrease

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

If I was Schneider I would get another agent.
Obviously Liut didn't negotiate "the number of games to be played by my client" into the contract.

Seriously - since when do agents care how much their client plays - I thought all they really care about is how much their clients get paid for that affects their own bottom line.

Likely since the agent represents their client, and wants to build up their value by ice time, performance and stats for the next round of contract negotiations.

Say Schneider only singed a 2 year deal instead of 4, played 20 of the 48 games this season, then followed it up by a good season but average numbers next year, it would be tough to get him a higher paying contract, resulting in less money for his agent.
I played for the Leafs for three years, Im used to the booing so it wont affect me - Kyle Wellwood

#94 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

Luongo never complained for ice time, he is the only Canuck recently to show true loyalty to this team.

MG has to respect that and show loyalty to whoever is loyal to him. Keep Luongo, trade Schneider.

Im always devil's advocate so bear with me here... but i think you mean

Luongo's agent never complained for ice time. Just because Lus agent wasnt stupid enough to say anything about it, doesnt mean that his client didnt "Share CONCERNS" about his future.

Odds are Cory HAS had a few concerns, your agent should be a good person to discuss concerns with... they shouldnt be out airing laundry that is just stupid.

I can bet Lu vented to SOMEONE... they just didnt try to play hero for him.

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 05 February 2013 - 02:07 PM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#95 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

For anyone interested, here's a link to the Vancouver Sun article which is apparently the source for the story at TSN and seems to have a more complete quote from the agent:
http://www.vancouver...7331/story.html
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#96 john bell

john bell

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

If You read Mike Liut's comments He says thatitwas expected that Cory would get 75% of the starts. And, Cory's career has been delayed. I'm starting to wonder about Mike Gillis, and Larence Gilman. I also think They handled Cody Hodgson badly.

#97 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

in all honesty not sure why people arent too surprised. If the roles were reversed Luongo's agent would say something along the lines of "We would like to see luo get some game time to keep his skills sharp, in liu of him eventually being dealt"

So to be im fine with his agent saying that, hes just stating the obvious we all knew already, but since the agent said it, now its a big deal and we have to call cory the next hodgson and stuff? come on...

Well that's kinda funny because the roles were reveresed last year when Cory played about 6 or 7 games straight and Luongo had to be the backup. Not once did Luongo cry about it he acted mature and waited for his return, and his agent didn't say 1 word, so honestly your post is a fail.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#98 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

If You read Mike Liut's comments He says thatitwas expected that Cory would get 75% of the starts. And, Cory's career has been delayed. I'm starting to wonder about Mike Gillis, and Larence Gilman. I also think They handled Cody Hodgson badly.

Whose expectations? Was it written into his contract? Obviously Liut spoke ill-advisedly to the press and is now regretting it, refusing further interviews. Again, where is this "Cory was guaranteed 75% of the starts for this team this season"?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 05 February 2013 - 02:15 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#99 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,680 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:12 PM

I doubt his agent would say something like this to TSN without talking to him about it

You would be wrong. This is TSN reaching out to Schneider agent, make no mistake about that.

#100 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:14 PM

Well that's kinda funny because the roles were reveresed last year when Cory played about 6 or 7 games straight and Luongo had to be the backup. Not once did Luongo cry about it he acted mature and waited for his return, and his agent didn't say 1 word, so honestly your post is a fail.

Back then Luongo was the #1 goalie, at the end of the year it looked lliked the team chose schneider to supplant him as the new #1

#101 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

ya my post is an epic fail alright...

Luongo came out after the playoffs and said it would be best to move on. You are correct he never made a fuss when schneider played those games in a row during the season, did i ever say he did?

I said that if luongo sat for an extended period of time now, something similar to this would leak out eventually

#102 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Actually, the quote from the article was,

"Our concern is we were hoping that this would be the year that Cory would play 75 per cent of the games," Liut said in a phone interview Monday from his Michigan office.

(Note: Emphasis is mine.)

So, what he was hoping and what he was promised are not necessarily the same thing. Even still, it's been a handful of games in an unusual situation that everyone knows will not last forever. Frankly, I don't think anyone thinks Schneider's career is going to be a short one so I don't see what the problem is waiting another half of a season to play 75% of games, especially when his likely backup is injured, making it even more disadvantageous to trade Luo right now. Going with whichever is hotter this season is just good resource management and Schneider needs to prove that he's a good team guy and will do whatever is best for the team, especially when it's obviously a temporarily and extraordinary situation. Like I said before, his energy would be far better spent making sure when he gets his next start he's so awesome he's guaranteed to get the one after that and so on.
Go, Canucks, Go!

#103 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:28 PM

ya my post is an epic fail alright...

Luongo came out after the playoffs and said it would be best to move on. You are correct he never made a fuss when schneider played those games in a row during the season, did i ever say he did?

I said that if luongo sat for an extended period of time now, something similar to this would leak out eventually

He said if they ask me to waive my NTC, he would. Luongo is a better teammate and still cares about the fans and the team winning even if some fans don't care about him. Schneider is just concerned about playing regardless. I bet Schnieder wants to build his value up here, and would walk for another team to sign a big contract.
Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#104 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:36 PM

POPULAR

He said if they ask me to waive my NTC, he would. Luongo is a better teammate and still cares about the fans and the team winning even if some fans don't care about him. Schneider is just concerned about playing regardless. I bet Schnieder wants to build his value up here, and would walk for another team to sign a big contract.

You mean like Lu did when he walked from Florida - who gave him his chance in the NHL - to sign the most lucrative contract in the NHL with Vancouver?

Lu is the only "star" on this team that didn't take a discount to play here.

Have you ever heard him refer to the fans when he talks about why he plays or who he plays for? No. He talks about his teammates and himself.

LU is a great goalie and has performed well for Vancouver and I wish him well, but don't paint him as some kind of self-sacrificing martyr for the team.

#105 Starfruits

Starfruits

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Maybe i missed this, but the last 2 games it looked like Schneider didnt go to Lu when we got the W. Normally he did do this...but now he went inside directly.

We dont need the supposed controversy!

You missed half of it. I did see Cory go over to Lu after the shootout against the Blackhawks, he was happy. As for the last night, it was a group celebration. I'm sure Cory did go to Lu later on.

#106 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,415 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

I don't see any whining in that, nor do I see him saying "I want out of here because you didn't start me!" like you hinted at. I see Luo referencing a discussion that he obviously had with the team about them wanting to secure Schneider for the future and that very likely meant promising him the number 1 job, meaning Luo would have to leave if he still wanted to be a starter, which he of course does. Rather than complaining about that turn of events, Luo praised Schneider as a person and a player and said he absolutely deserved to be a starter and that if that's what the team thought was best he would move aside. That's not whining. That's professionalism and class all the way.

On the other hand, complaining via your agent to the media that the "other guy" needs to be traded already because, even though he's playing better and therefore giving the team a better chance to win in the handful of starts he's gotten, that's not what's best for that one individual player is the textbook definition of whining.

Hmm, he basically asked to be traded by going to the media with that. You can argue it all you want but that's basically what was said and done.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#107 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

if schneider wanted to be a #1 and get paid, he would have never signed a 3 year deal when luongo was still on this team. waited for a trade or accepted an offer sheet.

He didnt do that, maybe because he is a team guy and was told he would be the #1 eventually. Im sure our Gm didnt tell schneider, hey sign with us we will give u #1 money but theres a good chance we will keep Luo all of next season. if that was even in the realm of possible im sure Schneider would have waited to sign an extension

#108 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I don't think we are showcasing Luongo. Even MG said before, Luongo doesn't need to be showcased. We are just playing the goalie who's currently on fire!

Isn't that what you would say if you were showcasing him?

#109 poetica

poetica

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,733 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:48 PM

Looking at the stats....

Not surprisingly, both goalies posted their weakest numbers of the season in Game 1.

Schneider Average (including first game): .859
Schneider Average (excluding first game): .932

Luongo Average (including first game): .931
Luongo Average (excluding first game): .950

Both have earned a shutout.

Some have suggested it's the quality of opponent that should be considered, so...
Schneider against SJ: .852
Luongo against Chicago: .964
(SJ has 15 pts in 9 games. Chicago has 16 in 9.)

So it seems obvious that the team would keep going with Luo until his play slips OR until the schedule bunches up in a couple of weeks, at which time Schneider will have a chance to make his case. Beyond that, we really should be considering ourselves the luckiest freaking team in the league to have this goalie "problem" in which we can bench a guy with a .932 average if you don't include that first game! Instead, we should be focusing on why it is the rest of the team seems to be having trouble maintaining focus and level of play.

Edited by poetica, 05 February 2013 - 02:50 PM.

Go, Canucks, Go!

#110 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

You mean like Lu did when he walked from Florida - who gave him his chance in the NHL - to sign the most lucrative contract in the NHL with Vancouver?

Lu is the only "star" on this team that didn't take a discount to play here.

Have you ever heard him refer to the fans when he talks about why he plays or who he plays for? No. He talks about his teammates and himself.

LU is a great goalie and has performed well for Vancouver and I wish him well, but don't paint him as some kind of self-sacrificing martyr for the team.

It's one thing to defend Schneider, but dumping hate on Luongo is a bit unnecessary.

Have you scavenged all of Luongo's interviews over the years to verify this claim of selfishness? Luongo has certainly shown love towards the fans and he doesn't have to do it on a nightly basis.

And I am pretty sure we traded for Luongo from FLA... and goalies go for a crap-load of money in today's NHL, so for Luongo's cap hit, I like the deal. Luongo has a passion for the game and will play as long as he can, like Brodeur.
------

Back to the topic..
Schneider has 4 starts, Lu has 5. It's not that drastic of a difference. Luongo and Anderson (Ottawa) have been the hottest goalies in the NHL at this point. I think Schneider will get more games under his belt and in moving forward he'll have more games down the stretch. But decisions should also be made based upon what is best for the team. If Schneider was told he'd play more, I think AV will start playing Schneider more. He's chosen against that because Luongo has been on fire and wins are what is going to get this team above .500.. I love both goalies that Vancouver has, this is the greatest position for any team to be in. Running to the media only creates issues.

Christ, Vancouver has a god damn winning streak going finally, and little stories like this are ruining it.
Posted Image

#111 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

I am actually surprised that Liut would show his concern via the media.It's a bit too early to start playing that card..It's a results driven business,simple as that,and Lou's brilliant goaltending should more than motivate CS to win back his job as the #1.

Without the distractions....

#112 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,415 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think y'all just want to fight and have bad reading comprehension. Mike Liut is just voicing concerns about a overblown situation in a calm and uncontroversial manner. You are all reading way to much into this. There is reason for concern if you are Schnieder and his agent.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#113 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Luongo has never complained about ice time BECAUSE he has gotten the vast bulk of it.......duh....

Luongo the ONLY Canuck to show loyalty? Not even the Sedins who took less and gave 1.5 million to charity? Not Burrows who also signed for a decent price? For that matter Schneider who signed for less than he could have gotten on the open market precisely because Luongo had succumbed to the pressure and given up on the idea of playing here again.

Schneider has been strung along for years....while Lu had been given the reigns in the playoffs and stunk it up the last 4 times. Last playoffs, it should have been Cory's net. Based on his better seasonal numbers and Lu's history in the playoffs. But no.....AV decided to give the net to Roberto yet again solely based on favoritism towards the veteran and fellow Quebecois who he has a vested personal interest in. They went against general wisdom and logic to start him in order to give him yet again...one more chance. And he rewarded that opportunity with 7 goals against in 2 games and a .891 GA in a losing cause.

He's had his shot and then some. Its only human that Cory would feel frustrated. He's in the prime of his career, he signed for a bargain, and now he's watching the vet who has stated "its time to move on" who blew the first two games at home in last years playoffs, be started ahead of him AGAIN just like his first year up with the team.

I don't have problem with playing Lu while hes winning and to show him off. But fer gawds sake, even a regular backup doesn't sit this long on the bench. Do we really want Schneider to develop rust on the bench, and foment bad blood between coach and player? Especially with a player in such an important position that AV is going to have to get along with for probably the rest of his coaching career with the Canucks. But alas it seems like AV relishes punishing his chosen dogs. Ballard finally worked his way out of the doghouse, but you just know that all he has to do is have one bad game, or shift for that matter, and Alberts is in. Not saying Cory is in the doghouse but with AV's defensive personality and as he said in an interview talking about he Sedins play early on "they know my moods", and his overall history with treating rookies, I just HOPE it doesn't come down to another Hodgson-like winner-take-all psing contest between coach and player. The sooner the Luongo deal gets done the better.

IMO they are taking advantage of Cory's maturity and composure by playing this dangerous game. There comes a time when an agent HAS to speak up. He wouldn't be much of an agent to let it slide any further.

30rw2li.jpg   ..................... Put Gino in the Ring of Honour!  .......................  2hg788l.jpg

#114 Dildo Faggins

Dildo Faggins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

While I dont agree with the agent making a big media stink, I do agree he has a point. Schneider has been playing as a back -up for quite a while, and now they just offered him a contract as a starting goalie. And then they go and play Luongo 4 times in a row and play him like he's the starter. WTF? Yes Luongo is doing well now but how much of a chance has Schneider gotten? He blew one game in the opener and bounced back with a shut out against the ducks. Its about time they give him another shot. They've been taking a hell of a long time to resolve this issue. Now nobody knows what's going to happen. Luongo traded? Schneider traded? Both kept for the season? All this uncertainty is a real distraction. How long is this gonna go on for?

#115 Vigneault's Timeout

Vigneault's Timeout

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I think y'all just want to fight and have bad reading comprehension. Mike Liut is just voicing concerns about a overblown situation in a calm and uncontroversial manner. You are all reading way to much into this. There is reason for concern if you are Schnieder and his agent.

There's something you should know...
Posted Image

#116 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Can people just shut up and let this team continue winning, please?

Don't forget that there aren't any shootouts in the playoffs.

#117 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:07 PM

TSN is the worst, They're like the WWE of sports media... please do not tune in.

#118 geebster

geebster

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:10 PM

It's hard to prove urself when u get two bad games and get yanked , losing Ur starting position. What a joke. Then guy is not going to be perfect all the friggin time. They are showing zero patience with him and no doubt, I don't care what Schneider is actually saying, it will effect his confidence.

So he's nervous to have the stating position and was gripping the stick a little too tight his first game? I got a great idea. Lets solve that by pulling him it the next five games!!!!!!!

They let Lu " play through his rough patches " for half a decade. They couldn't however let Schneider play through two bad games ?

This man love for luongo is killing the potential in Schneider.

Wait, Schneids was only pulled in his first game. He was never pulled after that. All that happened was Luongo got on a roll.

You can't play Schneids both games of a back-to-back so Luongo had to play against LA, and given how he played there they gave him a game against a lesser team (normal for a backup) at Colorado. It isn't anyone's fault that Luongo got a shutout there, nor is it a bad thing. You have to let a guy play after a shutout and after the Chicago game. Cmon. Schneids will get his games if he doesn't whine (not saying he has) and is mature about this. He will have something to prove and you can hope he plays lights out and gets his own string of games.

Your man love for Cory seems to be blinding you from how simple the situation is right now.

#119 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

While I dont agree with the agent making a big media stink, I do agree he has a point. Schneider has been playing as a back -up for quite a while, and now they just offered him a contract as a starting goalie. And then they go and play Luongo 4 times in a row and play him like he's the starter. WTF? Yes Luongo is doing well now but how much of a chance has Schneider gotten? He blew one game in the opener and bounced back with a shut out against the ducks. Its about time they give him another shot. They've been taking a hell of a long time to resolve this issue. Now nobody knows what's going to happen. Luongo traded? Schneider traded? Both kept for the season? All this uncertainty is a real distraction. How long is this gonna go on for?

They signed schneider to the money he deserves... but i never heard from GMMG or AV that he is the starter. Schneider will get his shot again when Lui cools off... I also look at the canucks as a team and I don't see distractions. In fact they look like a team that is really gelling together and they r having fun doing what their doing.

#120 Yotes

Yotes

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

schneider posted a shutout against anaheim the team he got blown out by. Last i checked anaheim is currently 6-1-1. So he played very well against a team who is playing quite well to start the year, they just beat sanjose.

So schneider has deserved to play, even though lou is play very well. If schneider doesnt start thursday i would be shocked and disappointed. This is a stretch in the schedule where both goalies should be playing, as we have multiple days off between games so there is no way fatigue could be an issue, hence why both goalies should play.

I know ppl are saying run with the hot hand, and i dont dismiss that, but what happens if Luo wins another 6 games straight? or vice a versa. You have to give both your goalies some playing time to keep them both sharp, and happy given the current situation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.