The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I would like to praise AV

406281dylan

Canucks are missing 2/3 of their 2nd line, and warming up a veteran line-up that mostly sat idle for the lockout. They crapped the bed on opening night. And yet, here they are, with a 5-2-2 record.

...OBVIOUSLY it's a problem with coaching.

In your opinion, that's exactly what it's about. But in my opinion, which, by the way is not a "rant" simply because it contravenes your opinion, if you want to shake things up, you demonstrate some patience and leave the guy with the goals on the top line and maybe bring a Raymond or a Hansen - guys who are actually hustling and creating opportunities - up with him.

In the end, two defensemen with one point between them saved the day.

I acknowledge that AV is a really good coach. I am also allowed to bitch about what I think are stupid moves.

The problem I had with the other poster is his characterization of Kassian as being handed top line minutes, when Kass has clearly carried his own weight. That can't be argued.

But thanks for butting in.

Hahaha I know right, I don't understand all the coach hate. Since he's been here we've had the most success in franchise history. Every year we win the division, got 2 pres trophies, numerous personal player awards, trip to the finals, one of the most dominant reg season in NHL history. He's done great things for this team but everyone passes it off as a major coincidence that all these great achievements were made with him behind the bench.

I thought last night was a brilliant display of coaching to get the most out of the sh*tty performance we were giving. We sucked big time but knew how to work with it and find a way to win. We were dominating them in the face off circle and just kept racing up the ice to put a long one in on dubnyk for him to cover up. Worked out in the end cus they couldn't win a faceoff and end up majorly out shooting them.

Did you consider that AV "demoting" Kass was more about "promoting" Bur as a way to try to get the twins going? IMO it was less about either Kass or Bur's play and more about AV trying to spark the twins. But why let that get in the way of a good non-sensical AV rant?

At a grinding time like this for our team, with the injuries on offense and the big trade waiting to happen and give us the help we need - I think Burrows on the 3rd line is a good fit as he can agitate, irritate and pickpocket his way underneath the opposition's jersey. He is the kinda guy that can do that - and will for some reasonable periods of time, as he is a Canuck with a big C and will give his all for the team.

My favourite criticism is that he does not know how to develop young players.

When he took over, the Sedins were young "excellent 2nd liners, but not 1st liners"; Kesler was a "very good 3rd C, but nothing more"; Burrows was a "fringe bottom-6"; Edler and Hansen were raw rookies; etc, etc...

Nobody saw two Art Ross trophies, a Selke, and 30 goals out of the likes of these guys. And yet, they developed those heights completely under AV's tutelage. Edler is an allstar defenseman now. Hansen, who used to hit less than the Sedins, has been transformed into one of the most effective forecheckers around. The evidence continues to mount.

What is the explanation from the AV doubters? Coincidence? They did this 'in spite of' poor coaching? Seriously?

Nothing but total, complete ignorance.

Umm, so who do you guys suggest replace AV?? Anyone? Oh thats right, the ones that are available nobody wants! Teams have hired guys that we have never heard of (the Oilers coach), Oates and Hunter in Washington. Yeah so, anyone thinks they can find a better coach. Please tell us who!! Who can make this team reach their potential *rolls eyes*

BTW, yes Kassian is scoring lots of goals, but the Sedins look lost and confused out there with him on the ice. The second Burrows was placed back on that line, they started to click. Burrows is smart, he understands the Sedins. Burrows gets it, he doesnt just go to the front of the net and stand there and wait for a tip in...Kudos to Kassian. I think hes doing great. But we need Burrows back on that line.

SO how do the twins adjust to playing with Kassian - the type of player everyone admits they need on their line to be successful in the playoffs - if they get their "comfort" zone back again when they fail to play well?

Kassian isn't an enforcer you can just throw out on the line for a couple of shifts in the playoffs to send a message. He is best used as a regular creating space and time. That is different than what Burrows does. If the Sedins want to be successful post-season, they need to adjust their game to this.

Kassian is not the reason the Sedins have been playing poorly. I love Burrows but him with the twins makes that a soft line that can be man-handles when the intensity heats up in the playoffs.

the ability to adapt your coaching style and the way your team plays from night to night. Including injuries, players who are playing well that night.

during the playoffs we have been outperformed or our top scorers have been shutdown quite easily, and the coach hasnt been able to find a way to counter act that. I think a good coach finds a way to make the Sedins productive regardless of who they are playing against. Other great teams seem to be able to figure it out, while others dont, Vancouver being one of them

I'm curious, to the FIRE AV crowd, who are you replacing him with? It's not like there's a poor of great, motivating, ready coaches just sitting around. Hell, if you want to talk about perennial disappointments changing coaches with absolutely not positive effect, look at the Capitals. Is that what you want? Fire AV, to bring up your AHL coach, only to have him falter, then replace him with, like, Trevor Linden or some part of Canucks past? AV may not be the best coach in the NHL, but taking a team on the last legs of their prime (sorry) and putting in a new coach and system in a 48 game season with a quarter of it done? You might outright miss the playoffs. AV isn't the best, but most coaches in the NHL aren't exceptional right now. MIN, WPG, WSH, FLA, and OTT, off the top of my head, have significantly worse coaches, and unless you've got a Hitchcock or a Keenen or a (RIP) Burns in the wings begging for the job, I don't know who you replace him with that all of a sudden changes the entire direction of the team for the positive. But I'm looking to be enlightened, if anyone has any ideas that isn't a flippant, ignorant 'HES AWFUL REPLACE HIM WITH ANYONE'

bylsma won a cup, but if he under succeeds with his team how long of a leash do you think he has?

Same goes with: tortorella, Babcock, Quenville, Laviolette.

Look at boudreau, Carlyle. They had very good teams one of them won a cup and they both got removed of their jobs. After a while players seem to tune out their coaches and need a wake up call or a shake up in the room to get re juvenated. Its quite common to happen in sports, especially hockey

Archived