The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I would like to praise AV

406281dylan

Linden wouldnt be a suitable coach, he hasnt done any coaching. Nor would I give it to scott arniel.

when we got eliminated in round 1 last year, with all the speculation and success bob hartley had in europe I would have like to see us try and get him. he won a cup with a team that had talent.

as for a replacement, so many coaches now are just redundant, they get fired from x team and then re hired by Y team. Im not sure who is out their as a coach right now, but obviously we arent going to do anything with the coach till maybe later this spring if the canucks have another early exit from the post season. If that happens, there have to be discussions about the coach going. If a year or two later the new coach doesnt work, then the next axe to fall is the GM.

See that's what I'm saying? Linden might be a good coach.... after a few years at the job. He has no professional experience, and just knowing hockey isn't good enough (I hear that Gretzky kid was both very good at hockey but very bad at coaching) so, in the end, you'd have to give him the same rope that you're currently using to string up AV. You can't get better RIGHT NOW with another coach. You have, at most, 2-3 years before there's going to be a massive turnover in players, and that's the time to make a change. Until Luongo, the Sedins, etc are past their prime or gone, there's no benefit in teaching a group that is only now fully ingrained in AVs system a completely different playbook. AV knows hockey enough to, you know, be one of the winningest coaches during his tenure. There is no one, especially not Trevor Linden, that I can think of that would be better. Hold the course, because it won't get better than this.

I share the same concern.

The team has been struggling. It''s understandable AV is trying to get them clicking but going back to what has given regular season success but playoff failure would be a shame.

The Sedins and Burrows have been great but in the playoffs, too often, completely man-handled and shut down. That was the whole purpose of having a guy like Kassian on the1st line.

Same with the goalies. Sure Lu has played well but aside form the opening game (where the entire team pooped the bed) Schneider has played very well. Why not platoon them so they can both get in a groove and be ready when it counts?

AV is a good coach but he is definitely a "what works now" coach when this team needs to be working towards what will work in May.

Maybe in a couple years, Gelinas will have gained experience as a coach, not saying hed be our next coach. But i do think it would be nice to have someone connected with the team or past experience be given a shot to coach on our farm team and build his way up to be the canucks coach.

Linden doesnt seem interested in going that route, he seems more suited for a management type of position or advisory role. But he is quite involved in developement and his gym right now.

Id love to see ex canucks, kinda like ryan walter. I will throw out some names: Mclean, Ronning, Linden, Morrison, Gelinas, etc the list could go on.

But id like to see us bring back some of those types of guys and incorporate them into our system in some way.

Linden could follow Joe sakic and take a bit of time of maybe a few more years and then get back involved with the team

AV's regular seasons has never really been the issue (though his handling of Ballard, younger players and a replacement for Daniel Sedin last season are still mind boggling), it's his inabillity to adapt his game in the playoffs when things are going south. Nothing shows me he's learned his lesson. Mr. 'Gant for sure

I agree on the lines here. But I really hope Higgins could produce a little more offense. He is one of those characters that need to be able to step up at a time like this, with the injuries, and make something happen. And although I like Kassian on the first with the Sedins - it was ice to see Burr there again.

Did I? Did I miss that part? A couple of turnovers negate leading the team in goals?

Bieksa, Ballard and Edler all handed the puck over a half dozen times. Are they benched, demoted, admonished in any way? No. You know why? Because that would be a stupid, knee-jerk reaction. The twins haven't done SQUAT this season and have they been demoted to line 3? Not just one game, but almost every game. Nope. they sit on the top line like the untouchables they are.

Yeah. You and AV are peas in a developmentally disabled pod.

the need for such hate? thats whats wrong with all forums. People are going to post things that are out of this world, but its best to just avoid what they say and dont let that bring the topic down.

I know thats not easy with all the crazy and asburd talk that goes on, but its never gonna change, so we have to learn to read past the insane unrealistic stuff if we want to engage in proper hockey talk.

Just adding fuel to the fire when you say what you did, hey ppl may agree with you and have a valid point but it just enrages others and gets to be nonsense bull crap on a hockey forum i want to talk hockey on not list and hear ppl whine and bitch and internet fight

SO how do the twins adjust to playing with Kassian - the type of player everyone admits they need on their line to be successful in the playoffs - if they get their "comfort" zone back again when they fail to play well?

Kassian isn't an enforcer you can just throw out on the line for a couple of shifts in the playoffs to send a message. He is best used as a regular creating space and time. That is different than what Burrows does. If the Sedins want to be successful post-season, they need to adjust their game to this.

Kassian is not the reason the Sedins have been playing poorly. I love Burrows but him with the twins makes that a soft line that can be man-handles when the intensity heats up in the playoffs.

SO how do the twins adjust to playing with Kassian - the type of player everyone admits they need on their line to be successful in the playoffs - if they get their "comfort" zone back again when they fail to play well?

Kassian isn't an enforcer you can just throw out on the line for a couple of shifts in the playoffs to send a message. He is best used as a regular creating space and time. That is different than what Burrows does. If the Sedins want to be successful post-season, they need to adjust their game to this.

Kassian is not the reason the Sedins have been playing poorly. I love Burrows but him with the twins makes that a soft line that can be man-handles when the intensity heats up in the playoffs.

AV's regular seasons has never really been the issue (though his handling of Ballard, younger players and a replacement for Daniel Sedin last season are still mind boggling), it's his inabillity to adapt his game in the playoffs when things are going south. Nothing shows me he's learned his lesson. Mr. 'Gant for sure

I personally thought AV has been doing a much better job these last 3 games then he has since before Duncan Keith's hit on Daniel. I also believe that he is still failing to have the players prepared for the game and really needs to learn how to light a fire under their collective butts. I think he completely deserves this year to show he belongs here still, but no cup should be his last chance. Nothing against his style but I believe he is just too friendly with his players now.

And to all those people who are wondering who we should hire, I would suggest a strong look at the Marlies Coach Dallas Eakins. He is arguably the best developer of young players right now and has an incredible record with the Marlies and his special teams since he has been coach have been nothing short of spectacular.

Also if I was AV I would consider this for the next 2 games against the Wild and the Flamers to help get everyone going.

• 1st Period **************** 2nd Period ************** 3rd Period

• Sedins + Hans ********** Sedins + Kass ********* Sedins + Burr

• Ray + Schro + Burr **** Ray + Schro + Hans *** Ray + Schro + Kass

• Volp + Lappy + Kass *** Volp + Lappy + Burr *** Volp + Lappy + Hans

My thinking is you can throw some big hits in the first period, have an effective defensive second line and speed in the first line. This will hopefully minimize our chance of giving up an early lead with the added effect of tiring out their defensive pairings. In the second period have Kass using his body to help the Sedins and use a ridiculously fast 2nd line that will wear out the defense even more and then have a decent shut down third line. Then in the 3rd, use the chemistry of the Sedins and Burrows to capitalize on a tired defense while using Ray and Schro's speed to help break the offensive zone and have Kass rush the net for some good off the rush opportunites and use the 3rd line to keep playing aggressively and further push the Defense on their toes. And put out your 4th line as much as possible because the combo of Malhotra + Weise + Higgy to more then hold their own and generate scoring opportunites as well as keepo the top 3 lines rested so they can do their thing.

I may be a moron, but trust me on Dallas Eakins.

My favourite criticism is that he does not know how to develop young players.

When he took over, the Sedins were young "excellent 2nd liners, but not 1st liners"; Kesler was a "very good 3rd C, but nothing more"; Burrows was a "fringe bottom-6"; Edler and Hansen were raw rookies; etc, etc...

Nobody saw two Art Ross trophies, a Selke, and 30 goals out of the likes of these guys. And yet, they developed those heights completely under AV's tutelage. Edler is an allstar defenseman now. Hansen, who used to hit less than the Sedins, has been transformed into one of the most effective forecheckers around. The evidence continues to mount.

What is the explanation from the AV doubters? Coincidence? They did this 'in spite of' poor coaching? Seriously?

Nothing but total, complete ignorance.

Yah you did miss a lot and are missing a hell of a lot. Boohoo he demoted my Kassian waaah you're a pathetic whiner. Guess if the twins have done squat then it will be better for Kassian to be put on the third line where he can really shine :rolleyes: When Kassian wins a Hart or an Art Ross he will probably get some leeway as well.

Also if Kassian was a Dman he would get way more leeway, want to know why? Do you? See if your brain can handle this, there are less dmen than forwards. I hope that wasn't too hard for you to understand. I will give you one thing though your avatar is perfect, you and him probably share the same IQ.

This is your comment: "Yah cause players automatically deserve ice time rather than having to earn it :rolleyes: Playing behind Hansen and Burr would be good for Kassian to see what it takes to bring it each every game."

You are saying Kass hasn't earned his ice time. You were wrong, and you were blindly supporting the decision to send him down to the 3rd line. I was calling BS on that, and on AV's decision to send him down.

Luckily for AV two D-men bailed him out this time. Burr certainly didn't. Henrik didn't either. Neither did Daniel.

I have said numerous times that AV is a good coach.

But your brilliant insights into my avatar, a photograph of an actor, and your characterization of me as a pathetic whiner really hit close to home. I am humbled by your rapier wit and razor sharp intellect. There are more forwards than d-men indeed. I have only now wrapped my slightly sloping brain around this idea, and I now see that clearly Kassian, the team's leading scorer clearly needed to be moved down to the third line so that two d-men with 1 point between them could bail AV out.

You've enlightened me. Bravo! And thank you!

AV is a great coach. So is pretty much every head coach in the league. Sometimes you have to change things up to shake up the team. I dont see us in that situation yet. I do think that we need a new powerplay perpsective. I think Newell Brown is the one responsible for that. In past years our PP was tops in the league. But the last couple of playoffs and this season looks dreadfull. Games that could be put away are lingering on and this is something that needs attention. My guess is they are waiting for Kesler to come back and bring the net presence. But I feel our pp is very predictable and other teams coaches are able to defend against it easily. So my vote would be to replace Newell Brown and get a new PP vision.

Archived