The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

North Korea 'preparing for two nuclear tests'

key2thecup

North Korea 'preparing for two nuclear tests'

North Korea is preparing to carry out two nuclear tests, either simultaneously or in rapid succession, to demonstrate to the world the advances it has made in its weapons programme, according to intelligence reports.

Punggye-ri_2468127b.jpg

Analysis of recent satellite images has shown new activity on the southern edge of the Punggye-ri nuclear test site, while preparations at a second tunnel to the west were apparently completed earlier, a South Korean government source told the Chosun Ilbo newspaper.

The paper quoted a military official as saying, "There is a chance that the southern tunnel is a decoy, but we are not ruling out that the regime will conduct nuclear tests simultaneously at both tunnels."

There is a widespread belief that North Korea will go ahead with what would be its third nuclear test in the near future, with the regime still angrily denouncing criticism by the United Nations Security Council for the launch in December of what Pyongyang claims was a rocket to put a satellite into orbit.

That protestation has been undermined by North Korea putting on display in Pyongyang a section of fuselage from an identical vehicle and labelling it as a ballistic missile.

The South Korean military and international intelligence agencies have prepared for the North's anticipated nuclear test and hope that data they can retrieve will provide new pointers on just how far Pyongyang has advanced in its efforts to develop a nuclear warhead that is small enough to be attached to a ballistic missile.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9846447/North-Korea-preparing-for-two-nuclear-tests.html

China should really start cracking the whip on North Korea. While it may seem that their influence over Pyongyang isn't as much as most would believe, maybe they should start sabre-rattling towards them.

If I was China, I'd be worried that my puny "ally" is off being a cowboy on the world stage, affecting some of my largest trading partners (Japan, South Korea, United States). I would be telling North Korea to sit down and shut up before I start cracking heads (stop sending aid, sending in the PLA for some "peacekeeping" missions).

China should really start cracking the whip on North Korea. While it may seem that their influence over Pyongyang isn't as much as most would believe, maybe they should start sabre-rattling towards them.

If I was China, I'd be worried that my puny "ally" is off being a cowboy on the world stage, affecting some of my largest trading partners (Japan, South Korea, United States). I would be telling North Korea to sit down and shut up before I start cracking heads (stop sending aid, sending in the PLA for some "peacekeeping" missions).

North Korea is a dangerous opponent with little to lose, but their fledgling nuclear capability doesn't make them all that much more dangerous than they already are, at least for the moment.

However if they ever manage to build smaller more advanced nuclear weapons, and a survivable means of delivering them, like nuclear artillery shells, watch out.

Archived