Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nuckin_futz

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

567 posts in this topic

He should have also forced her to go into rehab, starting day one of her sentence.

I see and have to talk to these idiots a lot. People have no idea how serious life is outside a video game.

Overkill considering her age. I think some community service might have been more appropriate here.

For anyone that wonders why both drug laws are ridiculous and US prisons/jails are too full, especially with criminals that shouldn't even be there, wonder no more..

All she did was say "Adios" and that was response to him condescendingly dismissing her, big whoop. Tack on $5,000 bail for that? Wow. Good job there judge in escalating a conflict.

Yeah lesson learned, don't screw with power tripping judges.

Doubling someone's bail for "Adios", then sending them to jail because you were an ass and they gave you the finger and told you to frack yourself.. what an embarrassment.

a large part of me agrees with you, but the absolute power of judges is something you should know before your age 10...to still mess around like its a joke with one as your sitting there trying to get bail is something that deserves the book thrown at her for....just my opinion but i want to choke the ever living crud out of kids that flip me off....30 days in jail for doing it to a judge as he judges you is pretty light.

Agreed, you'd have to be pretty dumb/ignorant to act like that in front of a judge.

it has been my experience that there are a lot of dumb/ignorant people roaming around.

It's about attitude.......and obviously this mouthy teenager was not getting the message. She's old enough to know better and kudos to the judge for giving her something to think about while she sits in jail for 30 days. She should have just shut her face after the "Adios" with attitude. And it must have been with attitude as I seriously doubt the judge would have upped the fine otherwise. As stated in the article, this prime exhibit of teenagerhood was behaving badly all during her time in front of the judge.

Bravo, judge!! More judges need to be doing this!

So are we to pretend that her serving 30 days somehow benefits society? Makes us safer? Saves us money? What exactly does it accomplish? Why do you feel it's appropriate to up the fine for attitude?

More of the court's time was spent calling her back and "teaching her a lesson" than if the judge didn't care how kids wearing orange jumpsuits are behaving.

I agree with Zaibatsu here, a moronic justice system on display.

So are we to pretend that her serving 30 days somehow benefits society? Makes us safer? Saves us money? What exactly does it accomplish? Why do you feel it's appropriate to up the fine for attitude?

More of the court's time was spent calling her back and "teaching her a lesson" than if the judge didn't care how kids wearing orange jumpsuits are behaving.

I agree with Zaibatsu here, a moronic justice system on display.

it was not a fine - it was her bond. She is yet to have a trial as this was first appearance.

Judges have a right to control their in court process which they do by means of contempt proceedings and 30 days for criminal contempt is pure punishment and to teach her a lesson in how to conduct herself. It is not meant to be anything else. It looked to me like a lesson that needed to be taught.

I was addressing BB's statement, not the article's:

I'm not disputing the ability to do what the judge did, I am questioning the benefit of such powers. What is this more likely to achieve, respect for authority that punishes disproportionately (or fear, to be more precise) or a good future behavior by a borderline juvenile delinquent?