The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

nuckin_futz

A teenage girl does not reach the age of 18 and just aquire a prescription drug habbit out of the blue.

The reason for her drug habit is very relevant , one which the judge should be trying to ascertain in order to make a balanced judgement , one which will help this girl overcome her problems.

Right on. I'm very willing to wager she's probably been addicted to Xanax since at least early to mid high school if not earlier than that. Her addiction cannot be waved aside as if it has no relevance in this case, anyone who believes that way is not seeing the forest for the trees. From the original story seeing as how the prescription wasn't hers, she has also likely been selling Xanax since she started abusing it. Kids get a hold of these scrip drugs and sell them at a premium in school or otherwise, make quick cash doing it, and immerse themselves into a lifestyle that most of them sadly never emerge from. Benzodiazepenes like Xanax have been linked to high suicide rates among 12-19 year olds, and they should be banned.

Actually countless teenagers are acquiring a drug habit "out of the blue" as Xanax bars have become one of the more widely available illegal recreational drugs - it can even be ordered over the internet without a prescription from non-US based sources and it is being manufactured illicitly.

The judge on first appearance did inquire of Ms. Soto if she was on drugs and she stated she was not. He then dealt with her upon her misconduct. once she appeared before him a second time to purge her contempt and admitted that she was in fact on drugs during her first appearance, he set aside the order for her incarceration. The judge also ordered the record of her contempt scrubbed so that in future she would not have a criminal record.

The judge dealing with her appearance on the substantive charges took into account the plea deal reached between Ms. Soto's Public Defender and the reasons therefore - reducing the 26 possession charges to one and accepting that Ms. Soto should go into a drug rehab program which if she completes successfully will wipe out the charges for possession.

Had a 12 year old cousin who five months ago hung himself not three months after he'd been prescribed Adderall and Prozac. Excuse me if I seem a bit vehement in my dislike for pharmaceutical drugs and the mental midget psychiatrists that prescribe them to pre-teenagers.

blah blah blah lawyerspeak irrelevant gibberish...you have no idea what it is to be addicted to a prescription drug, what it does to your rational mind, what it does to your confidence, what it does to those around you. Prescription drug addiction, which is OBVIOUSLY what this defendant has, is most DEFINITELY relevant to this situation. I hope you don't ever have to deal with the kind of BULL**** my family and I have been through with psychs since my cousin's suicide..and I seriously hope their lawyer is a damn sight better than you are at feeling empathy for other human beings. Wasted 12 year old life ended because some f***ing quack felt like it was appropriate to prescribe an addictive drug to a child.

If that teenager was prescribed these drugs before the age of 18 and/or aquired the addiction before the age of 18 then the parents bear some of the responsibity for this.

The judge merely seemed to want to punish her rather than direct her to rehabilitation and help her become a functioning member of society.

You are assuming facts not in evidence.

There is nothing to support the inference that Ms. Soto was abusing prescription drugs and all sorts of evidence to the contrary.

It was not the function of the judge on first appearance to deal with the issue of her drug addiction beyond the scope of what he did. Upon her second appearance before him when she purged her contempt she admitted to be under the influence of drugs when she first appeared before him (remember she denied it initially) he set aside her citation for contempt ad wiped it from her record.

The judge dealing with the substantive charges had that jurisdiction and he dealt with it by accepting the plea agreement to place her in a drug rehab program. The first judge had not such jurisdiction.

Archived