The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

nuckin_futz

Yes, that is something that most though not all people learn when they have a modicum of life experience. Actions in the real world have consequences.

Mind you even at CDC actions can have consequences if you insist on breaching the "laws" laid down by the Board Administration and enforced by its judges (the moderating team).

Right. I don't consider myself an idiot, yet I find myself siding with Zaibatsu.

I suppose it's a problem when an 18 year old Xanax dealer utters "adios" to a judge in disrespectful manner, but it's not a problem when he dismisses her with a disrespectful "bye bye" without informing her she is dismissed, just moments prior. Nor do I think her uttering of "adios" is deserving of any repercussion, regardless of what a judge said to her. Nor do I think sending her to 30 days in jail is suitable for fingering a judge.

None of you are able to make an argument that isn't either based on legal ability, teaching her a lesson, or making sure there are consequences. And none of you seem to be able to discuss anything without falling into cliques and demeaning each other.

You too must be lacking in reading comprehension. Read the article. Her behavior prior to the "Adios" was disrespectful of the the judge and the court. The "Adios" was only one of several rude, disrespectul and insulting things that occurred in the courtroom prior to the judge losing his patience. And just in case you couldn't be bothered reading the second article posted, she also told the judge to F*** Off along with the "Adios" or did you miss that part along with your buddy?

Right. I don't consider myself an idiot, yet I find myself siding with Zaibatsu.

I suppose it's a problem when an 18 year old Xanax dealer utters "adios" to a judge in disrespectful manner, but it's not a problem when he dismisses her with a disrespectful "bye bye" without informing her she is dismissed, just moments prior. Nor do I think her uttering of "adios" is deserving of any repercussion, regardless of what a judge said to her. Nor do I think sending her to 30 days in jail is suitable for fingering a judge.

None of you are able to make an argument that isn't either based on legal ability, teaching her a lesson, or making sure there are consequences. And none of you seem to be able to discuss anything without falling into cliques and demeaning each other.

Unfortunately you are known by the company that you keep.

I missed the part where she had been charged with dealing drugs. All the reports I have seen is that she was arrested for and charged with simple possession of Xanax. Can you direct me to a substantive link that bears out your version of the charges?

Also it was much more than adios - she was evasive and acted in a disrespectful manner throughout the proceedings before becoming flippant and then flipping the bird and swearing at the judge. Judge Rodriguez-Chomat wanted to know about Soto’s financial assets before setting bail which is common as judges endeavour to set a realistic bail that will ensure attendance in court. Soto said that she earned $200 per week, had a car and “a lot” of jewelry. When the judge tried to get her to clarify her statement, Soto responded that it was “like Rick Ross. It’s worth a lot of money.” She continued to act in a flippant manner.

The judge gave her fair warning saying "It's not a joke, you know, we're not in a club now. We are not in a club, be serious about it." She failed to heed the warning.

The judge did what he was entitled to do when faced with criminal contempt in the face of the court - he held a summary hearing and she admitted what she had done. He then jailed her. That is how criminal contempt in the face of the court is dealt with. Not only in Florida but also here in Canada, as well as the UK, etc.

The point of criminal contempt proceedings is to impose punishment swiftly, it is meant to punish (aka teach a lesson) and it is not part of the usual sentencing principles. That is the whole point. In some cases people are jailed indefinitely and brought back before the presiding judge on a regular basis which can be weekly, bi-weekly or monthly until they "purge their contempt - that is they acknowledge the wrongful conduct and apologize in a sincere manner or agree to obey the lawful order of the court.

Here is a case from Limerick, Ireland dealing with purging one's contempt:

http://www.limerickp...e-contempt.html

To be clear a judge does not have to earn an accused's respect - it is due him/her by virtue of the office held and as a representative of the state.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Strange how agreeing with Zaibatsu on one thing makes us buddies, what does that make you and me for agreeing on myriad issues? Best friends forever?

I watched the video a number of times, and I'm not pretending she was acting like a young lady should. However, she stood quietly for a small duration prior to being dismissed with a "bye bye", which was completely uncalled for. She's an 18 year old with an attitude, and she just received attitude from the judge. Why? Why couldn't this story go something like "you're dismissed"? Surely this would have resulted in none of this taking place. She's like a powder keg that and the judge tossed a match. It's expected human behavior, and shouldn't surprise anyone.

That it seems acceptable to subject her to violence and sexual abuse, as you have made clear, just makes your argument that much weaker.

I didn't miss the "frack off" at the end either. I have mentioned it from the first page. Did you miss that?

I implore you to address me with respect next time. The constant fighting on this forum is painful as it is, I don't wish to be part of it.

I missed the part where she had been charged with dealing drugs. All the reports I have seen is that she was arrested for and charged with simple possession of Xanax. Can you direct me to a substantive link that bears out your version of the charges?

Also it was much more than adios - she was evasive and acted in a disrespectful manner throughout the proceedings before becoming flippant and then flipping the bird and swearing at the judge. Judge Rodriguez-Chomat wanted to know about Soto’s financial assets before setting bail which is common as judges endeavour to set a realistic bail that will ensure attendance in court. Soto said that she earned $200 per week, had a car and “a lot” of jewelry. When the judge tried to get her to clarify her statement, Soto responded that it was “like Rick Ross. It’s worth a lot of money.” She continued to act in a flippant manner.

The judge gave her fair warning saying "It's not a joke, you know, we're not in a club now. We are not in a club, be serious about it." She failed to heed the warning.

The judge did what he was entitled to do when faced with criminal contempt in the face of the court - he held a summary hearing and she admitted what she had done. He then jailed her. That is how criminal contempt in the face of the court is dealt with. Not only in Florida but also here in Canada, as well as the UK, etc.

The point of criminal contempt proceedings is to impose punishment swiftly, it is meant to punish (aka teach a lesson) and it is not part of the usual sentencing principles. That is the whole point. In some cases people are jailed indefinitely and brought back before the presiding judge on a regular basis which can be weekly, bi-weekly or monthly until they "purge their contempt - that is they acknowledge the wrongful conduct and apologize in a sincere manner or agree to obey the lawful order of the court.

To be clear a judge does not have to earn an accused's respect - it is due him/her by virtue of the office held and as a representative of the state.

If your bolded holds true, I'd say I should be more known for the company you and I share, than this instance of my agreeing with Zaibatsu.

I have dealt with this post a number of times in this thread. I do not enjoy wasting my time. The issue has never been a judge's legal ability, but the benefit of exercising said ability. The most you addressed it was via your anecdotal evidence during your career.

We have all watched the same video. The contents of it are not in question. The implications are.

She. Broke. The. Law. which is why she was in court to begin with. An adult court. And then, she was in contempt of court..not just once, but several times. This isn't a debate about non-victimization, it is about a mouthy teenager who showed blatant disrespect to a judge and the court. And she did it repeatedly despite the first punitive measure. She behaved stupidly, rudely, insolently and disrespectfully and is old enough to know she should have got her act together long before her bail hit the $5000 mark. It's the consequences of her actions and bad behavior. Nobody made her behave that way, just her. So what if her life was hard? At 18 you have a measure of right and wrong and she clearly knew what she was doing when she flipped the judge the bird. Consequences of your behavior....not just one instance of it, but several. She obviously was not getting the message but now I'm betting she does. 30 days, princess......enjoy.

It is somewhat amusing that you bolded the part "She broke the law." That is wrong.

No she didn't. She has been ACCUSED of committing a crime (of which it is very likely that she did break the law but that needs to be proven in court).

Your first sentence right there, off the bat, is legally incorrect.

Archived