The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

nuckin_futz

You know what, you're right. This girl should be sent to a resort to carry out her sentence....that'll learn her!!! Prison is supposed to be awful, and if it's as bad as you say, I'm thinking she will have learned her lesson by the end of the 30 days. If Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan can make it, I'm sure she will too.

LMAO. that is all. Welcome to Florida...the most Draconic state in the US. Home of the kangaroo court and the railroad. Florida can drop into the ocean for all I care. America's basement, for the most part. This doesn't surprise me one bit. From its "colorful" election night history to electing W's retard younger brother as their governor...lol

LMAO. that is all. Welcome to Florida...the most Draconic state in the US. Home of the kangaroo court and the railroad. Florida can drop into the ocean for all I care. America's basement, for the most part. This doesn't surprise me one bit. From its "colorful" election night history to electing W's retard younger brother as their governor...lol

1.When does rehabilitation come into play exactly? Youre point makes no sense, the whole idea of the american justice system is punishment, rehabilitation has very little to do with any of it.

2. Yah the public defender is really going to go out of his way to intervene and advise some teenager on how to act? No that only comes from a paid attorney. Yes she's stupid but if she was being represented by a paid attorney she would never have had the chance to be stupid in front of the judge in the first place. So she got $5,000 fine for her criminal act and $5,000 fine and 30days in jail for as you put it "Being Stupid".

You don't think if she had a paid Attorney who specilizes in this area of law representing her the sentence would have been different?

I realize ignorance of the law does not excuse the law, but having a deep understanding of the law can sure give you a different (lighter) sentancing.

jus·tice

Definition of JUSTICE

a: the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments

b: judge

c: the administration of law; especially: the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity

a: the quality of being just, impartial, or fair

b (1): the principle or ideal of just dealing or right action (2): conformity to this principle or ideal : righteousness

c: the quality of conforming to law

: conformity to truth, fact, or reason

I believe that justice = conformity to truth , fact and reason

So many laws are UNJUST , and in many courts you do not get a fair and impartial judgement .

Rehabilitation does not enter into criminal contempt in the face of the court - these are summary proceeding based upon a judge's inherent jurisdiction to control his/her court and do not have a statutory basis. You are trying to import a principle that is inapplicable.

In Canada our Criminal Code at section 9 eliminates every common law (non-statutory) offence but preserves a judge's inherent jurisdiction to deal with contempt.

9. Notwithstanding anything in this Act or any other Act, no person shall be convicted or discharged under section 730

(a) of an offence at common law,

(
B)
of an offence under an Act of the Parliament of England, or of Great Britain, or of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, or

(
c )
of an offence under an Act or ordinance in force in any province, territory or place before that province, territory or place became a province of Canada,

but nothing in this section affects the power, jurisdiction or authority that a court, judge, justice or provincial court judge had, immediately before April 1, 1955, to impose punishment for contempt of court.

If a legislature wished to it could simply remove this power of contempt but it remains..

Actually public defenders (or duty counsel as we call them in Canada) will invariably instruct defendants on proper behaviour.

In this case the judge warned her and she chose to ignore him.

In the extended version of the video, the public defender did make representations to the judge and was not successful in persuading the judge to re-consider. This is a summary procedure and if Florida is like other jurisdictions there is no appeal from such a decision as it flows from a judge's inherent jurisdiction.

This had nothing to do with ignorance of the law just ignorant and disrespectful behaviour.

Stop cutting and pasting laws, Especially Canadian laws since I was talking about the American legal system. Start reading peoples posts rather than responding to them by what you think they are trying to say. I'm saying thats how it is (justice system is about punishment) and you're giving me laws to say that's how it is. Just trying to find an argument where there is none.

And if you try to argue that a paid Attorney representing her would have gotten the same outcome then you really don't know what you're talking about period

Appearing in front of a judge, and in response to a question of how much money she has to gauge her bail she answers "Rick Ross"? Dumb as hell. Glad the judge gave her something to think about. People can whine about it all they want, but the fact of the matter is, the girl was dumb as hell. Why is she talking like that to the judge? I mean, she was dumb enough to do something stupid, but to make it worse by talking like an idiot to someone that could hurt her future?

Stop cutting and pasting laws, Especially Canadian laws since I was talking about the American legal system. Start reading peoples posts rather than responding to them by what you think they are trying to say. I'm saying thats how it is (justice system is about punishment) and you're giving me laws to say that's how it is. Just trying to find an argument where there is none.

And if you try to argue that a paid Attorney representing her would have gotten the same outcome then you really don't know what you're talking about period

Archived