Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
565 replies to this topic

#301 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm sorry Public defenders never do their job. All they ever try to do is scare people into plea arrangements and make the job easier for the DA. Get a clue. They don't give a crap about whether their client is guilty or not.

In this case I listened to what the Public Defender said and he did his job in attempting to persuade the judge to change his ruling.

As the video above (post #270) shows when Ms. Soto appeared in court on the substantive possession charges represented by a Public Defender, the PD arranged to have the 26 charges reduced to one count and arranged to place Ms. Soto in a drug program which if she completes it successfully will result in all charges being dismissed.

And it seems the time in jail worked remarkably well and Ms. Soto's attitude underwent an adjustment. The Public Defender also indicated that she would be attempting to modify the criminal contempt citation. I assume that she will have Ms. Soto brought before the judge to apologize and try purge her contempt. It will then be up to the judge to decide if he wishes to modify his contempt citation.

I know facts are inconvenient and effectively blow up your rants, but hey such is life.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#302 Kryten

Kryten

Aladdin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Which had an effect on Soto's courtroom demeanor during her second appearance; incarceration, being sober, or both? Noone here can answer this question unequivocally (any who have tried, did so foolishly). IMO addicts who are to attend court proceedings, should be dried out beforehand in a facility, not afterward in a dry cell. No prison but no slap on the wrist either. Provide help (don't forget that some of these people are victims of abuse for gawd's sake), then once the accused's faculties are returned, hold proceedings. I think this would be a little fairer for the judge as well, a chance to see the real personality of the accused as his/her crimes are read which leads to a more informed decision if contempt needs to be enforced.
Posted Image

#303 JohnTavares

JohnTavares

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,787 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

That power trip.

EHL: Detroit Red Wings

medium.png

#304 Blue90

Blue90

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:00 PM

Which had an effect on Soto's courtroom demeanor during her second appearance; incarceration, being sober, or both? Noone here can answer this question unequivocally (any who have tried, did so foolishly). IMO addicts who are to attend court proceedings, should be dried out beforehand in a facility, not afterward in a dry cell. No prison but no slap on the wrist either. Provide help (don't forget that some of these people are victims of abuse for gawd's sake), then once the accused's faculties are returned, hold proceedings. I think this would be a little fairer for the judge as well, a chance to see the real personality of the accused as his/her crimes are read which leads to a more informed decision if contempt needs to be enforced.

I don't know if she learned her lesson or not but at least she was smart enough to know not to get high before her second court appearance
*** WetBreasts is gonna make it Crew ***

#305 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:53 PM

you seem to miss the point that Penelope was NOT in some Juvie Court .. she was being tried as an adult and acted like a petulant punk-ass kid .. she would find kinderd souls her within the confines of CDC .. :)

Just because someone is 18 doesn't mean they are an "adult" - growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. If society is trending towards 18-19-20 year olds being immature, then society as a whole has failed.

So basically jailed for being flippant, eh? Yeah that makes a ton more sense. This is ridiculously absurd, even for Florida.

No - she was jailed for being 'stupid' (or so say half the posters in this thread). Apparently, in Florida, that is a crime. Thank God we don't live in (Canada) a society where being stupid is cause just cause for being incarcerated, otherwise most of the people I know would be behind bars right now.

Dude - I'd really like to hear your unfiltered opinion on this topic because I think it might be shockingly sober.

Actually Vig don't Kill Dral, I believe him to mafia enough that I have dealt with him myself. 

#306 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:00 AM

Just because someone is 18 doesn't mean they are an "adult" - growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional. If society is trending towards 18-19-20 year olds being immature, then society as a whole has failed.

No - she was jailed for being 'stupid' (or so say half the posters in this thread). Apparently, in Florida, that is a crime. Thank God we don't live in (Canada) a society where being stupid is cause just cause for being incarcerated, otherwise most of the people I know would be behind bars right now.

Dude - I'd really like to hear your unfiltered opinion on this topic because I think it might be shockingly sober.

In Florida you are an adult in the eyes of the criminal law when you are 18 - or it can be younger if you are to be tried as adult for certain serious crimes. In Canada a juvenile can be sentenced as an adult for certain serious crimes.

She was jailed because she was cited by a judge for criminal contempt in the face of the court after a summary hearing was held. A judge in Canada possesses similar powers and proceedings would be held in a similar fashion as a judge's contempt power is preserved under our Criminal Code.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#307 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:28 AM

In Florida you are an adult in the eyes of the criminal law when you are 18 - or it can be younger if you are to be tried as adult for certain serious crimes. In Canada a juvenile can be sentenced as an adult for certain serious crimes.

She was jailed because she was cited by a judge for criminal contempt in the face of the court after a summary hearing was held. A judge in Canada possesses similar powers and proceedings would be held in a similar fashion as a judge's contempt power is preserved under our Criminal Code.

I thought Justice was blind? Anyways- just because someone is 18 doesn't mean they are "all growed up". The "law" can state whatever it wants, that doesn't mean the "law" is correct. There are MANY aspects of the law which are very much outdated and need to be revised and updated

Edited by debluvscanucks, 08 February 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Actually Vig don't Kill Dral, I believe him to mafia enough that I have dealt with him myself. 

#308 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Hardwired into everyone's head
Is the person they're gonna be
Growing up is not a matter of choice
It's a matter of wait and see

Pure gold right there .

Copernicus had those Renaissance ladies crazy about his telescope , and Galileo had a name that made his
reputation higher than his hopes , did none of those astronomers discover while they were staring out into the dark
that what a lady looks for in her lover , is Charm, Strangeness and Quark

Brock/Calvert

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

#309 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

Anyways,just because someone is 18 doesn't mean they are "all growed up". The "law" can state whatever it wants, that doesn't mean the "law" is correct. There are MANY aspects of the law which are very much outdated and need to be revised and updated (and as a lawyer, I'm sure you agree with this).

They are "all growed up" in the eyes of the law when they reach the age of adult criminal responsibility.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 08 February 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#310 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:44 AM

They are "all growed up" in the eyes of the law when they reach the age of adult criminal responsibility.

The "law" can state whatever it wants, that doesn't mean the "law" is correct. There are MANY aspects of the law which are very much outdated and need to be revised and updated (and as a lawyer, I'm sure you agree with this).

This isn't a conversation about what the LAW says, it's about what the law SHOULD be. What is the best way to deal with kids who flippantly talk back to those who (ab)use their authority to try and make this a better society? Toss them in jail?

Edited by debluvscanucks, 08 February 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#311 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:56 AM

The "law" can state whatever it wants, that doesn't mean the "law" is correct. There are MANY aspects of the law which are very much outdated and need to be revised and updated (and as a lawyer, I'm sure you agree with this).

People grasp your 2nd point, it's you who seem to fail to grasp our point as the best you can do is cut and paste quotes from law books. This isn't a conversation about what the LAW says, it's about what the law SHOULD be. What is the best way to deal with kids who flippantly talk back to those who (ab)use their authority to try and make this a better society? Toss them in jail?

Ok... quote me something else from a text book.

Setting an age of criminal responsibility is not one of those laws - you are an adult or you are not. She is not a kid. She is an adult.

I can just see it now. "Your honour please do not hold my 19 year old client criminally liable, he is an immature little twit and should not be allowed out in public without a minder" Any idea how that defence would work should it be tried? :lol:

Actually criminal contempt in the face of the court is not statutory law - it is common law flowing from a judge's inherent jurisdiction to control the process in his/her court. It exists in every Anglo-American legal jurisdiction of which I am aware and has a long historical tradition. Legislatures have the power to abolish it as with other common law offences but they have not done so.

#312 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:55 AM

Thankfully moron judge from the original video had his contempt of court charge reversed and a smarter, more mature, and less antagonistic one attempts to help her than send someone to jail over such trivial s***. Bravo to this judge. :)

Edited by zaibatsu, 08 February 2013 - 01:56 AM.

#313 Jason82

Jason82

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:14 AM

Setting an age of criminal responsibility is not one of those laws - you are an adult or you are not. She is not a kid. She is an adult.

Well that law is WRONG IMO. You should be considered an adult at age 21 same has the drinking age in the states. Everyone has their own opinion and that's mine.

#314 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:52 AM

Well that law is WRONG IMO. You should be considered an adult at age 21 same has the drinking age in the states. Everyone has their own opinion and that's mine.

Apples and orangutans.. you are incorrect.

#315 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:37 AM

Thankfully moron judge from the original video had his contempt of court charge reversed and a smarter, more mature, and less antagonistic one attempts to help her than send someone to jail over such trivial s***. Bravo to this judge. :)

???

The only judge who can alter the contempt citation is the judge who issued it - Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat.

In the follow-up video Judge Jeffrey Rosinek dealt with the substantive charges (ordered her into a drug program which if completed will result in the drug charges being dismissed)and reduced her bond to $5000 but did nothing about the criminal contempt matter as he has no jurisdiction

The Public Defender indicated that it was intended to address the criminal contempt matter at some future time which I understood to mean Ms. Soto would be brought back before Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat to purge her contempt (usually by way of an acknowledgement of misconduct and an apology) as I noted previously.

It is now being reported that Ms. Soto will be back before Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat on Friday for that purpose.

The woman who got a 30-day sentence after she flipped the bird at a Miami-Dade judge is expected to apologize to him in court on Friday.

Penelope Soto's appearance in court on Monday made national news after her profane encounter with Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat earned her a month behind bars.

The only judge who can drop the contempt sentence is Rodriguez-Chomat.

http://www.nbcmiami....-190256681.html

Edited by Wetcoaster, 08 February 2013 - 05:42 AM.

#316 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

Well...no...she was jailed because she was being a smartass in court. That falls under the categories of both flippant and stupid...neither of which should be jailable. My entire unfiltered opinion on this topic, considering it was Florida where I had to go to rehab for my Klonopin addiction and was subsequently placed under house arrest probation...They have a completely different ****ing set of rules in Florida. Their hostile attitude towards those who come to visit and ultimately get into legal trouble is absolutely appalling. My close personal friend, whom I will not name because he's a poster here..went down for a Spring Break vacation during his senior year of high school. He met an enchanting young woman in a bar down there...now, this girl was already in the bar, so my friend naturally assumed she was old enough to be in the bar. He buys her a couple of drinks, they go out to a beach. Busy body Tallahassee PD dick patrols the beach with a flashlight...my bud's getting busy with this girl...anyway...cop discovers them...checks ID...the chick's 16, and my buddy's totally unaware of this. The dick cop calls for back up, they arrest my friend for "sexual assault" on a minor and toss him in the Leon County Jail, where he is treated like a common criminal. They throw this guy, a gentle, kind, soul...directly into Gen Pop in that jail...he had been on meds since he was 15 for ADHD and depression and anxiety. His stupid **** public defender, keep in mind my friend was not well off enough to afford an ACTUAL defense lawyer...did absolutely nothing for him. The PD was a woman, which is one reason I think she cared less about him, considering what he was arrested for...and the DA was a woman. They threw him under the bus. He got 30 months in a Florida state prison for trusting that little bitch and because the TPD and that bull crap kangaroo court system down there wanted to make an example of him...he'd never been in any kind of trouble before, and then to make matters worse he had to serve 3 more years of probation which he thankfully got transferred back here to NC. He became a social pariah because no one wanted to hear the truth, he was shunned by most of his family, his friends from HS turned on him, it was a mess. While he was locked up in the Leon County Jail, they wouldn't provide the psych pills he was ALREADY on...no...the ???? doped his ass with Thorazine. They put him on 900 mg of it a day. It turned him into a zombie, pacing back and forth, drooling from his mouth constantly...What that ???? court system did to my friend is ???? criminal...and I have zero kind things to say about that state, anyone who lives there, and like I said...Florida can drop into the ???? ocean for all I care...I know my friend and I wouldn't ???? miss it. Bunch of bull artists down there in law enforcement and the courts...that's a god damned travesty.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 08 February 2013 - 06:56 AM.

Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#317 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:40 AM

Good to see the original judge's BS contempt charge was reversed. The system DOES work sometimes.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#318 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:26 AM

Well...no...she was jailed because she was being a smartass in court. That falls under the categories of both flippant and stupid...neither of which should be jailable. My entire unfiltered opinion on this topic, considering it was Florida where I had to go to rehab for my Klonopin addiction and was subsequently placed under house arrest probation...They have a completely different ****ing set of rules in Florida. Their hostile attitude towards those who come to visit and ultimately get into legal trouble is absolutely appalling. My close personal friend, whom I will not name because he's a poster here..went down for a Spring Break vacation during his senior year of high school. He met an enchanting young woman in a bar down there...now, this girl was already in the bar, so my friend naturally assumed she was old enough to be in the bar. He buys her a couple of drinks, they go out to a beach. Busy body Tallahassee PD dick patrols the beach with a flashlight...my bud's getting busy with this girl...anyway...cop discovers them...checks ID...the chick's 16, and my buddy's totally unaware of this. The dick cop calls for back up, they arrest my friend for "sexual assault" on a minor and toss him in the Leon County Jail, where he is treated like a common criminal. They throw this guy, a gentle, kind, soul...directly into Gen Pop in that jail...he had been on meds since he was 15 for ADHD and depression and anxiety. His stupid **** public defender, keep in mind my friend was not well off enough to afford an ACTUAL defense lawyer...did absolutely nothing for him. The PD was a woman, which is one reason I think she cared less about him, considering what he was arrested for...and the DA was a woman. They threw him under the bus. He got 30 months in a Florida state prison for trusting that little bitch and because the TPD and that bull crap kangaroo court system down there wanted to make an example of him...he'd never been in any kind of trouble before, and then to make matters worse he had to serve 3 more years of probation which he thankfully got transferred back here to NC. He became a social pariah because no one wanted to hear the truth, he was shunned by most of his family, his friends from HS turned on him, it was a mess. While he was locked up in the Leon County Jail, they wouldn't provide the psych pills he was ALREADY on...no...the ???? doped his ass with Thorazine. They put him on 900 mg of it a day. It turned him into a zombie, pacing back and forth, drooling from his mouth constantly...What that ???? court system did to my friend is ???? criminal...and I have zero kind things to say about that state, anyone who lives there, and like I said...Florida can drop into the ???? ocean for all I care...I know my friend and I wouldn't ???? miss it. Bunch of bull artists down there in law enforcement and the courts...that's a god damned travesty.

That's a horrible story - something out of a movie (actually, its better then a lot of made-for-tv-movies, and your friend should use his story to make a movie) - and just shows that the system is obviously broken. The "Law" and society obviously failed your friend. When things like this happen, it's clear that blind faith and unquestioned respect for the law and court system is not a good thing.

#319 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

That's a horrible story - something out of a movie (actually, its better then a lot of made-for-tv-movies, and your friend should use his story to make a movie) - and just shows that the system is obviously broken. The "Law" and society obviously failed your friend. When things like this happen, it's clear that blind faith and unquestioned respect for the law and court system is not a good thing.

Head of nail, meet hammer. Bingo. Blind faith in ANYTHING is not the way to run a society, much less a criminal justice system.
Posted Image

#320 Dral

Dral

Puts the Dr in Drunk

• Members
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

I can just see it now. "Your honour please do not hold my 19 year old client criminally liable, he is an immature little twit and should not be allowed out in public without a minder" Any idea how that defence would work should it be tried? :lol:

Actually criminal contempt in the face of the court is not statutory law - it is common law flowing from a judge's inherent jurisdiction to control the process in his/her court. It exists in every Anglo-American legal jurisdiction of which I am aware and has a long historical tradition. Legislatures have the power to abolish it as with other common law offences but they have not done so.

Throughout history different societies have had different ideas about what it means to be an adult. In some places 13 year olds are consider adults. In the US (and even in Canada) I think there are many 19 year olds who shouldn't be considered adults. When different people mature at different rates, it seems silly to have an arbitrary number as the defining characteristic of what it means to be an adult.

And again, just because a judge has power to do something, doesn't mean it is right for him to do it. Do you honestly believe that all the laws in North America are beneficial to society?

Edited by debluvscanucks, 08 February 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#321 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,091 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

No doubt. And it's not the judicial system, it's the arbitrary nature of imposing fail costs, but this judge's temper is nothing new:

http://www.miamihera...ven-finger.html

Judge Rodriguez-Chomat, given finger by teen, no stranger to drama

Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat, who made national news by sending a disrespectful young woman to the slammer for a month this week, was not always all that respectful himself.
The judge, a former Miami state representative, once duked it out with a fellow representative on the floor of the state House in Tallahassee.

It was democracy — doled out with an iron hand and caught on videotape.

The well-publicized fight occurred during a debate about school vouchers in the 1998 session.

Republican Rodriguez-Chomat fast-walked toward fellow lawmaker Carlos Valdes, also from Miami, and grabbed him by the tie. Then he yanked and pulled.

The scene turned into a free-for-all between the two as they grappled like wrestlers trying to get the upper hand.

House members and security guards rushed to the floor and separated them before blood was spilled.

Valdes, now a real-estate agent, wouldn’t comment about the fracas. Neither did he want to say anything about Rodriguez-Chomat’s national headlines-grabbing encounter with Penelope Soto, 18, who flipped off Rodriguez-Chomat as he held her in contempt.

“Enough has been said about both incidents,” Valdes said.

But in interviews at the time of the incident, Valdes accused Rodriguez-Chomat of calling him a “jackass.”

Imagine the sentence Judge Rodriguez-Chomat would mete out to someone who’d done that.

Rodriguez-Chomat’s approval ratings among attorneys, according to numbers collected by the Dade Country Bar Association in 2010, were the second-lowest among 99 judges. Forty-six percent of area lawyers polled said they think he is unqualified for the bench.

I found this blog (that has the same info as article above) quite funny due to it being from a leftist, yet on the spot:

http://sync.democraticunderground.com/10022327612

as extensively discussed in this thread has now had a second hearing before another judge who set her bond at $5,000 and agreed to drop the drug case against her (possession of a few Xanax pills) if she successfully completes a drug program:

To my great surprise (well, in some cases) 9 out of ten posters celebrated and agreed with the abusive judge who in the first bail hearing had doubled the amount requested by the prosecution to $10,000 on a whim and for no good reason at all, ensuring that she would stay in jail for a while, I suppose.
She was obviously shocked and upset over this and when she was walking out of the room, she flipped the bird and said quietly "frack you". Up to this point she had been nice and friendly, going out of her way to be courteous, honest and open - even though she is being held in jail, made to wear a ridiculous jump suit and even more ridiculous double sized slippers, and likely didn't get all that much sleep the night before judging by the way she looks and acts. Watch the video:

The judge OTOH is arrogant and obnoxious from the start. When she doesn't quite get what she is supposed to say about the "value" of her jewelry and nervously laughs, trying to put a friendly face on her confusion, he reminds her that "you are not in a nightclub" - the only place, perhaps, he imagines where a woman is supposed to be nice and charming. She politely apologizes for laughing, says her jewellery is worth "a lot of money". Rudely he inquires "like what". Can a question get any more unspecific? But she does come up with an appropriate comparison, taking the question literally: "like Rick Ross". Now the judge is completely lost. "Uh?" he mumbles - of course he has not the faintest idea who Rick Ross might be - and adds another impertinent question, whether she is on drugs?

At this point, a PD tries to intervene and offers to be appointed to "make it easier" for the court. But the judge cannot get over himself. "I'm not going to appoint you, she says she has a substantial amount of jewelry!" Snark, snark, snicker, snicker. In the end, he dismisses her, being cutesy, with "bye bye", waving his hand, only to call her back and deliberately upset her after she - in a very pleasant way - wishes him "Adios".

What the hell is going on there? Who is this guy?

Well, apparently he made the news before.

In Aug. 1998, the Miami Herald reported:

State Rep. Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat , R-West Dade, is betting voters will overlook his reputation for having a short fuse and a sharp tongue and return him to Tallahassee for a third term representing District 114.

In February when Florida International University professor Dario Moreno described Miami on national television as "almost the definition of a Third World Banana Republic," Rodriguez-Chomat retaliated by threatening FIU President Mitch Maidique to hurt the university when funding issues came up in Tallahassee if Maidique didn't take a stand against Moreno. Maidique refused and Rodriguez-Chomat was forced to apologize and retract his statement."

In a 2010 Dade County Bar Association judicial poll, Rodriguez-Chomat "was rated unqualified by more than 46 percent of respondents," according to Jose Pagliery, then a Daily Business Review staff writer.

http://randompixels.blogspot.de/

TALLAHASSEE — A debate over school vouchers turned into a schoolyard brawl on Thursday as two Miami Republicans tangled on the House floor before being separated by a dozen legislators.

Reps. Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat and Carlos Valdes angrily grabbed each other by the jacket lapels and appeared ready to throw punches during the brief blow-up, which followed harsh words between the pair.

``This was not really the Thrilla in Manila,'' said House Republican leader Jim King Jr. of Jacksonville. ``But there's obviously a lot of tension out there and people are getting on edge.''

The Republican rumble took place in full view of House Speaker Daniel Webster, R-Orlando, and state public TV cameras. It was the first floor fight since 1992, when two smaller-scale eruptions marred the House.

#322 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Damn z that opens up an entirely different can of worms...wow...the judge is an incompetent, short-tempered bully...why does that not surprise me? Unqualified is the perfect word here.
Posted Image

#323 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

Happy to see that Ms Soto appears to have improved her attitude. It's sad that it had to take a gutsy judge to ensure that that would happen instead of the people that should have taught her some manners and respect in the first place.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 08 February 2013 - 03:38 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#324 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

Good to see the original judge's BS contempt charge was reversed. The system DOES work sometimes.

That has not happened. The contempt charge has not been "reversed".

There was no charge for contempt. She was cited for criminal contempt in the face of the court and after a summary hearing pursuant to a the judge's inherent jurisdiction to control his court she was sentenced to 30 days in county jail.

However Ms. Soto is scheduled to appear before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat later today and apologize (aka purge her contempt) and then it will be up to the judge as to whether he modifies his order.

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The South Florida teen who was jailed after flipping off a Miami-Dade judge during a bond court hearing is expected to apologize to the judge on Friday afternoon.

Two days later, Soto appeared in court again much more sullen and nervous. The hearing was related to her arrest for possession of Xanax. She was arrested over the weekend after police went to check on reports of a female down at SW 96th Street and142nd Avenue. When talking with the officer, Soto reportedly blurted out “I’m on Xanax bars and I have more in my purse.”

At Wednesday’s hearing, Judge Jeffrey Rosinek set her bond at $5,000 but said she still had to serve the 30-day jail sentence.

The judge also ruled she can have her case thrown out if she completes a drug program.

#325 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

That has not happened. The contempt charge has not been "reversed".

There was no charge for contempt. She was cited for criminal contempt in the face of the court and after a summary hearing pursuant to a the judge's inherent jurisdiction to control his court she was sentenced to 30 days in county jail.

However Ms. Soto is scheduled to appear before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat later today and apologize (aka purge her contempt) and then it will be up to the judge as to whether he modifies his order.

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The South Florida teen who was jailed after flipping off a Miami-Dade judge during a bond court hearing is expected to apologize to the judge on Friday afternoon.

Two days later, Soto appeared in court again much more sullen and nervous. The hearing was related to her arrest for possession of Xanax. She was arrested over the weekend after police went to check on reports of a female down at SW 96th Street and142nd Avenue. When talking with the officer, Soto reportedly blurted out “I’m on Xanax bars and I have more in my purse.”

At Wednesday’s hearing, Judge Jeffrey Rosinek set her bond at $5,000 but said she still had to serve the 30-day jail sentence.

The judge also ruled she can have her case thrown out if she completes a drug program.

My point about this incompetent short-tempered judge being a bully still stands, his attitude was worse than hers during the entire situation, even his own colleagues have called him unqualified and so this entire incident should be looked upon with ridicule. Guy shouldn't even be behind the bench, but because of gullible Florida voters, he was. If he wants respect in his court, maybe he should give respect in his court...and lighten up.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 08 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

Posted Image

#326 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:02 PM

My point about this incompetent short-tempered judge being a bully still stands, his attitude was worse than hers during the entire situation, even his own colleagues have called him unqualified and so this entire incident should be looked upon with ridicule. Guy shouldn't even be behind the bench, but because of gullible Florida voters, he was. If he wants respect in his court, maybe he should give respect in his court...and lighten up.

Your point is based on a misapprehension of the facts and the law that apply in the case of Ms. Soto.

#327 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Sometimes I swear it's an exercise in futility trying to get people to recognize the facts of a situation, WC. Some whine and bitch about 'facts' yet when said facts are provided, they're not good enough. Isn't that the definition of obtuse? And deliberately so? Failure to be sharpest crayon in the box? Intellect rivaled only by garden tools?

Facts can be incredibly inconvenient when they do not support a rant. The only viable tactic is to ignore the facts, shift ground and/o bring up irrelevant matters.

All one can do is provide the means (facts and law) to light the way, whether one chooses to light the lamp is another issue.

#328 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

That's a heavy price to pay, not so much the actual jail but the kind of people she'll be in there with. At one time she night have been okay but not these days, and the judge probably knew full well what's in store for her.

You think all jails are full of murderers and rapists and hard core gang bangers? There are varying degrees of prison you know...

Taken from Wikipedia:

http://en.m.wikipedi...rison#section_3

The exact classification systems differ between county, state, and federal systems. Some common types of prisons include:

Supermax: As the name implies, the custody level goes beyond Maximum by segregating "the worst of the worst" in a prison system, such as terrorists deemed a threat to national security and inmates from other prisons who have a history of violent or other disruptive behavior in prison or are suspected of gang affiliation. This level is also used for non-terrorists who have been deemed too dangerous or too high-profile to ever be in a normal prison. These inmates have individual cells and are kept in lockdown for 23 hours per day. Meals are served through "chuck holes" in the cell door, and each inmate is permitted out of their cell for one hour of exercise per day, alone. They are normally permitted no contact with other inmates and are under constant surveillance via closed-circuit television cameras.

Administrative: Administrative security is a classification of prisons or detention centers that are for a specific purpose, such as housing mentally ill offenders. These range in levels of security from Minimum to Administrative Maximum Security (ADMAX), as in the case of ADX Florence in Florence, Colorado.

Maximum: A custody level in which both design and construction as well as inmate classification reflect the need to provide maximum external and internal control and supervision of inmates primarily through the use of high security perimeters and extensive use of internal physical barriers and check points. Inmates accorded this status present serious escape risks or pose serious threats to themselves, to other inmates, to staff, or the orderly running of the institution. Supervision of inmates is direct and constant.

High: The "Middle Ground" for violent crimes, High security institutions have highly-secured perimeters (featuring walls or reinforced fences), multiple- and single-occupant cell housing, the highest staff-to-inmate ratio, and close control of inmate movement.

Medium: A custody level in which design and construction as well as inmate classification reflect the need to provide secure external and internal control and supervision of inmates. Inmates accorded to this status may present a moderate escape risk or may pose a threat to other inmates, staff, or the orderly running of the institution. Supervision remains constant and direct. Through an inmate's willingness to comply with institutional rules and regulations, increased job and program opportunities exist.
Close Security: Close Security prisons are institutions which house inmates too dangerous for Low Security, but who did not commit a crime worthy of incarceration in a Medium Security Facility. These prisons are rare, as most inmates fall into either "Medium" or "Low" Security Classifications. These facilities are often located in separate areas of a Low or Medium security Prison.

Low: A custody level in which both the design and construction as well as inmate classification reflect the goal of returning to the inmate a greater sense of personal responsibility and autonomy while still providing for supervision and monitoring of behavior and activity. Inmates within this security level are not considered a serious risk to the safety of staff, inmates or to the public. Program participation is mandated and geared toward their potential reintegration into the community. Additional access to the community is limited and under constant direct staff supervision.

Minimum: The lowest level of security to which an inmate can be assigned directly. This type of prison is typically a "prison farm", or other work-oriented facility, and most often houses petty or "white-collar criminals."

Pre-release: A custody level in which both design and construction as well as inmate classification reflect the goal of restoring to the inmate maximum responsibility and control of their own behavior and actions prior to their release. Direct supervision of these inmates is not required, but intermittent observation may be appropriate under certain conditions. Inmates within this level may be permitted to access the community unescorted to participate in programming, including but not limited to work release or educational release.

But more specifically in her case:

In the United States, "jail" and "prison" refer to separate levels of incarceration; generally speaking, jails are county or city administrated institutions which house both inmates awaiting trial on the local level and convicted misdemeanants serving a term of one year or less, while prisons are state or federal facilities housing convicted felons serving a term of more than one year.

Oh, and then for the absolute worst there's Superjail!

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 08 February 2013 - 01:24 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#329 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

Ms. Soto has apologized to Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat for her conduct and admitted that she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. he then vacated the remainder of her 30 day sentence.

(CBS) MIAMI - Penelope Soto, the Florida teen who was jailed after flipping off a Miami-Dade judge, avoided a month behind bars Friday after she apologized to him in person, reports CBS Miami.

Soto tearfully apologized to the judge and admitted she was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol during her first hearing. He then dropped her contempt of court charges and vacated her 30-day jail term.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57568468-504083/penelope-soto-fla-teen-who-flipped-off-judge-apologizes-and-avoids-30-day-sentence/

It seems Ms. Soto has learned a valuable life lesson.

#330 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,638 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:27 PM

Ms. Soto has apologized to Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat for her conduct and admitted that she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. he then vacated the remainder of her 30 day sentence.

(CBS) MIAMI - Penelope Soto, the Florida teen who was jailed after flipping off a Miami-Dade judge, avoided a month behind bars Friday after she apologized to him in person, reports CBS Miami.

Soto tearfully apologized to the judge and admitted she was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol during her first hearing. He then dropped her contempt of court charges and vacated her 30-day jail term.

http://www.cbsnews.c...0-day-sentence/

It seems Ms. Soto has learned a valuable life lesson.

Yes ,act repentant shed a few tears and everything will be alright.

Copernicus had those Renaissance ladies crazy about his telescope , and Galileo had a name that made his
reputation higher than his hopes , did none of those astronomers discover while they were staring out into the dark
that what a lady looks for in her lover , is Charm, Strangeness and Quark

Brock/Calvert

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.