The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

nuckin_futz

If the judges sentence was carried out then she will be.

However, you were right about her not fitting into the study, as it is a county jail sentence which were excluded from the study.

My point wasn't originally being specific to this case, it was more to address that some people think that sending somebody to prison is an effective approach to change their attitude. The fact that recidivism rates are over 50% directly refutes that.

Public "pretenders" in Florida are more corrupt than in any other state. I have a close personal friend who got into a little trouble down there and his "public defender"'s first words to him were "Down here on vacation? Looks like you'll leave on probation, at the very least". Professionalism isn't in a Florida PD's vocabulary.

Having listened to submissions made on her behalf, the Public Defender did his job but ultimately these matters are within the discretion of the trial judge to control his court room. The judge did what is required in such cases. He had the Defendant brought before him, held a summary proceeding in which the Defendant acknowledged her contemptuous conduct and he cited her for it. That is how such things are handled.

The legislature in Florida and in other jurisdictions of which I am aware has left the common law power via inherent jurisdiction in the hands of the individual judges to deal with criminal contempt in the face of the court.

I'm talking about this entire case..it's loony. Judge with a chip on his shoulder gets fed up with a young drug addict either still in or barely out of high school, doesn't appreciate her "sass" and throws her in the clink. While he thinks this is going to make a positive difference in her life it is far more likely that this will just be a notch in her belt and will have the exact opposite effect that this judge was intending for her. What he needed to do was put her ass on a community service detail for the length of her jail sentence and have her stake garbage and refuse along the highway or have her raking leaves or something similar in like a state park or community park. That's what he should have done if he wanted this to be a learning experience or to actually help this girl. Judge basically looked at the girl like a spoiled brat, typical teenager, and felt it was his place to teach the "whippersnapper" a lesson by putting her in jail...the fact that as LC spoke of earlier the jail in question is Miami-Dade and the conditions therein are absolutely appalling makes this punishment even more harsh.

Archived