The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

nuckin_futz

That's a horrible story - something out of a movie (actually, its better then a lot of made-for-tv-movies, and your friend should use his story to make a movie) - and just shows that the system is obviously broken. The "Law" and society obviously failed your friend. When things like this happen, it's clear that blind faith and unquestioned respect for the law and court system is not a good thing.

That has not happened. The contempt charge has not been "reversed".

There was no charge for contempt. She was cited for criminal contempt in the face of the court and after a summary hearing pursuant to a the judge's inherent jurisdiction to control his court she was sentenced to 30 days in county jail.

However Ms. Soto is scheduled to appear before Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat later today and apologize (aka purge her contempt) and then it will be up to the judge as to whether he modifies his order.

MIAMI (CBSMiami) – The South Florida teen who was jailed after flipping off a Miami-Dade judge during a bond court hearing is expected to apologize to the judge on Friday afternoon.

Two days later, Soto appeared in court again much more sullen and nervous. The hearing was related to her arrest for possession of Xanax. She was arrested over the weekend after police went to check on reports of a female down at SW 96th Street and142nd Avenue. When talking with the officer, Soto reportedly blurted out “I’m on Xanax bars and I have more in my purse.”

At Wednesday’s hearing, Judge Jeffrey Rosinek set her bond at $5,000 but said she still had to serve the 30-day jail sentence.

The judge also ruled she can have her case thrown out if she completes a drug program.

The only judge who can drop the contempt sentence is Rodriguez-Chomat.

My point about this incompetent short-tempered judge being a bully still stands, his attitude was worse than hers during the entire situation, even his own colleagues have called him unqualified and so this entire incident should be looked upon with ridicule. Guy shouldn't even be behind the bench, but because of gullible Florida voters, he was. If he wants respect in his court, maybe he should give respect in his court...and lighten up.

Sometimes I swear it's an exercise in futility trying to get people to recognize the facts of a situation, WC. Some whine and bitch about 'facts' yet when said facts are provided, they're not good enough. Isn't that the definition of obtuse? And deliberately so? Failure to be sharpest crayon in the box? Intellect rivaled only by garden tools?

Guest Gumballthechewy

That's a heavy price to pay, not so much the actual jail but the kind of people she'll be in there with. At one time she night have been okay but not these days, and the judge probably knew full well what's in store for her.

Ms. Soto has apologized to Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat for her conduct and admitted that she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. he then vacated the remainder of her 30 day sentence.

(CBS) MIAMI - Penelope Soto, the Florida teen who was jailed after flipping off a Miami-Dade judge, avoided a month behind bars Friday after she apologized to him in person, reports CBS Miami.

Soto tearfully apologized to the judge and admitted she was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol during her first hearing. He then dropped her contempt of court charges and vacated her 30-day jail term.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57568468-504083/penelope-soto-fla-teen-who-flipped-off-judge-apologizes-and-avoids-30-day-sentence/

It seems Ms. Soto has learned a valuable life lesson.

Ms. Soto has apologized to Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat for her conduct and admitted that she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. he then vacated the remainder of her 30 day sentence.

(CBS) MIAMI - Penelope Soto, the Florida teen who was jailed after flipping off a Miami-Dade judge, avoided a month behind bars Friday after she apologized to him in person, reports CBS Miami.

Soto tearfully apologized to the judge and admitted she was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol during her first hearing. He then dropped her contempt of court charges and vacated her 30-day jail term.

http://www.cbsnews.c...0-day-sentence/

It seems Ms. Soto has learned a valuable life lesson.

That is how one purges a contempt citation.

Ms. Soto was accompanied at the counsel table by her family. Her mother looked absolutely mortified by her daughter's behaviour. The serious nature and potential consequences of her actions seem to have been brought home to her.

Here is the video:

http://miami.cbsloca...izes-in-person/

That is how one purges a contempt citation.

Ms. Soto was accompanied at the counsel table by her family. Her mother looked absolutely mortified by her daughter's behaviour. The serious nature and potential consequences of her actions seem to have been brought home to her.

Here is the video:

http://miami.cbsloca...izes-in-person/

I believe it takes more integrity to be honest with myself and others ,rather put on some fake tears and lie to the judge , which is a form of contempt .

So essentialy she has been rewarded for lying , because i do not believe she feels repentant for her actions, she just wants to avoid going to jail.

You do not appear to understand any number of things (including facts and the law/legal principles), despite them being explained in detail to you based on your past CDC history.

The judge IMHO did a fine job in handling Ms. Soto. Hopefully she carries the lesson with her for the rest of her life. She will have no record if she completes her drug rehab program. In that case consider it a success for the "Scared Straight" program of attitude adjustment.

The judge's term does not expire until 2016 as I understand it at which time he will be 71.

Archived