Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
565 replies to this topic

#481 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

But that's his MO don't you see Dave? He thinks that everyone who isn't as stuck up the law's backside as he is is uninformed and ignorant. Hasn't that pattern become clear enough by now?

BTW, this is my last post on CDC. With BB having been unjustly banned I don't think I need to stick around anymore either. Catch me on Skype later.

Posted Image

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#482 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:03 PM

So you are not taking issue with the facts. Good to know.

I am taking issue with a judge that was more interested in his perceived authority rather than actually wanting to help a teenager with a prescription drug habit .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#483 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

But that's his MO don't you see Dave? He thinks that everyone who isn't as stuck up the law's backside as he is is uninformed and ignorant. Hasn't that pattern become clear enough by now?

BTW, this is my last post on CDC. With BB having been unjustly banned I don't think I need to stick around anymore either. Catch me on Skype later.

I too am gutted that BB is gone .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#484 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

I am taking issue with a judge that was more interested in his perceived authority rather than actually wanting to help a teenager with a prescription drug habit .

But that is not what you claimed (incorrectly yet again). You claimed a judge was subject to a fiduciary duty. It was just one in an unending series of posts in which you have clearly demonstrated that you are ignorant and uninformed on any number of legal issues.

OTOH I am informed on such issues.

And when this fact is pointed out you seem to take umbrage.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 10 February 2013 - 05:10 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#485 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

But that is not what you claimed (incorrectly yet again). You claimed a judge was subject to a fiduciary duty. It was just one in an unending series of posts in which you have clearly demonstrated that you are ignorant and uninformed on number of legal issues.

And when this fact is pointed out you seem to take umbrage.

No i wanted to lead you down a path where you would illuminate to CDC your opinion on this matter.

No umbrage was taken , i was merely pointing out that you resorted to a personal attack and insult.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#486 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

No i wanted to lead you down a path where you would illuminate to CDC your opinion on this matter.

No umbrage was taken , i was merely pointing out that you resorted to a personal attack and insult.

And you would be incorrect, yet again.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#487 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I liked BB, but nobody is ever unjustly banned, as you put it. Besides when did you two get married? :P

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 10 February 2013 - 05:32 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#488 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:14 PM

I too am gutted that BB is gone .

What happened?

#489 canucks since 77

canucks since 77

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:38 PM

And you would be inflating your own ego,yet again. And yup before you say nope. :ph34r:
Posted Image
Politeness is the first step to respect!

#490 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

What happened?

After weeks, even months, of being trolled by a collection of nere do wells, (sometimes using dupe accounts), BB lost her cool and told one of the them to go seduce himself .. constant bagerering by those who appeared unable to stand up to her personality finally took its toll .. alas, I believe she will be better for it ..

And some of those who liked to jump on the bandwagon and attack anyone who looks vulnerable percieve some great victory? .. I wonder what it feels like to look in the mirror and suspect you just may be a turd .. :mad:

Karma awaits ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 10 February 2013 - 10:57 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#491 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

After weeks, even months, of being trolled by a collection of nere do wells, (sometimes using dupe accounts), BB lost her cool and told one of the them to go seduce himself .. constant bagerering by those who appeared unable to stand up to her personality finally took its toll .. alas, I believe she will be better for it ..

And some of those who liked to jump on the bandwagon and attack anyone who looks vulnerable percieve some great victory? .. I wonder what it feels like to look in the mirror and suspect you just may be a turd .. :mad:

Karma awaits ..

I feel her pain.

#492 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:02 PM

I feel her pain.

I trust your sincerity ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#493 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:05 PM

I trust your sincerity ..

It was meant sincerely.

BB and I often corresponded by PM as to the best way to deal with the numerous pre-pubescent morons that infest CDC - the sort that you referenced in your post.

#494 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:14 PM

Not sure if anyone noticed, but she apolagized and she didn't serve any jail time, making this entire thread completely moot. Please change title of thread.

http://www.cbsnews.c...0-day-sentence/

#495 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:16 PM

It was meant sincerely.

BB and I often corresponded by PM as to the best way to deal with the numerous pre-pubescent morons that infest CDC - the sort that you referenced in your post.

Thank you .. they get like a "pack of bitches", as my cousin, a teacher, referred to teeange girls that team up to bully one they deem unworthy .. every dog has his, or her, day tho, and forever is a long, long time .. be well

#496 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:46 PM

Not sure if anyone noticed, but she apolagized and she didn't serve any jail time, making this entire thread completely moot. Please change title of thread.

Of course. The judge was acting just as dumb and egging her on, which is no surprise if you consider his his history and antics. So funny, all of this publicity over such menial things. :lol:

Edited by zaibatsu, 10 February 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#497 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:08 AM

Really? BB got banned? She seems one of the logical few that scour this site. A loss indeed... (even though I didn't really talk to her.. she seemed cool anyway).

#498 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,846 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:48 AM

Karma awaits ..

Hmm. Seems like karma worked.

#499 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:46 AM

You claiming i am incorrect does not make this a fact.

Let us look at the facts , i posted with the intent to have you come out and state your opinion on certain details pertaining to the case we are discussing.
You replied to those posts giving your opinion on those details.

You claimed that i took umbrage , 1. Offense; resentment: took umbrage at their rudeness. 2. a. Something that affords shade. b. Shadow or shade

I was neither offended nor in a shady place when you insinuated/inferred that i was uninformed and ignorant , merely noting that you were insulting/ attacking me through inference and insinuation.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#500 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:53 AM

Yes it was noted way back at post #329 and discussed.

Ms. Soto was in Miami-Dade County Jail from the time of her first appearance on Monday morning when she was cited for criminal contempt until released on Friday afternoon after purging her contempt.

Ms. Soto has apologized to Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat for her conduct and admitted that she was under the influence of drugs and alcohol. he then vacated the remainder of her 30 day sentence.

(CBS) MIAMI - Penelope Soto, the Florida teen who was jailed after flipping off a Miami-Dade judge, avoided a month behind bars Friday after she apologized to him in person, reports CBS Miami.

Soto tearfully apologized to the judge and admitted she was under the influence of Xanax and alcohol during her first hearing. He then dropped her contempt of court charges and vacated her 30-day jail term.

It seems Ms. Soto has learned a valuable life lesson.

#501 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:08 AM

You claiming i am incorrect does not make this a fact.

Let us look at the facts , i posted with the intent to have you come out and state your opinion on certain details pertaining to the case we are discussing.
You replied to those posts giving your opinion on those details.

You claimed that i took umbrage , 1. Offense; resentment: took umbrage at their rudeness. 2. a. Something that affords shade. b. Shadow or shade

I was neither offended nor in a shady place when you insinuated/inferred that i was uninformed and ignorant , merely noting that you were insulting/ attacking me through inference and insinuation.

You claimed that I insulted you (which BTW is untrue) so you did take offence and again lashed out trying to make it appear that you did not say something that you had posted.

You claimed the judge had fiduciary duty and that is incorrect. Everything that followed from that incorrect statement was similarly incorrect. The path that you intended was a dead end and your path had a non-existent foundation.

Trying to claim that is not what you posted does not work very well when clearly you posted:

There is an inherent fiduciary duty , therefore the judge had the duty to ascertain these facts in order to look after the weaker party .

There is no such thing as an "inherent fiduciary duty" as it applies to the judge this case. You are attempting to use terms with which you have no understanding.

Thus as I said you clearly are ignorant of and uninformed as to the applicable law and legal principles.

And when that was pointed out you began to try to cloud the issue, use misdirection and complain that you were being insulted. Sounds like taking umbrage to me.

Edited by Wetcoaster, 11 February 2013 - 02:10 AM.

#502 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

You claimed that I insulted you (which BTW is untrue) so you did take offence and again lashed out trying to make it appear that you did not say something that you had posted.

You claimed the judge had fiduciary duty and that is incorrect. Everything that followed from that incorrect statement was similarly incorrect. The path that you intended was a dead end and your path had a non-existent foundation.

Trying to claim that is not what you posted does not work very well when clearly you posted:

There is no such thing as an "inherent fiduciary duty" as it applies to the judge this case. You are attempting to use terms with which you have no understanding.

Thus as I said you clearly are ignorant of and uninformed as to the applicable law and legal principles.

And when that was pointed out you began to try to cloud the issue, use misdirection and complain that you were being insulted. Sounds like taking umbrage to me.

:lol:

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#503 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:20 AM

Lol BB got banned because of this thread?

Alot of threads seemed to turn into a heated debate and the majority of her posts would be condescending and belittling to those who opposed her opinion. In other words she was just plain disrespectful and would give "your an idiot for thinking that way" kind of answers all the time.

It's too bad though, she seemed to have a lot of friends on here. This is another case of the punishment does not fit the crime but ironically Babes stance on the issue in the thread was teach that disrespectful brat Soto a lesson. What a way to go out haha

I had a 3 day ban once for crossing the line. I'm pretty good for the most part but everyone slips up once in a while. I hope they didnt ban her for life.

#504 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

Inherent adjective 1. existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute: an inherent distrust of strangers.

Fiduciary noun 1. Law. a person to whom property or power is entrusted for the benefit of another. adjective

I believe that a judge is a person who has power entrusted in him for the benefit of others , the power to make a judgement on the case we are discussing.
He also has an inherent duty to the people he is making judgements on , to make fair and informed judgement for the state, federal or county government he serves

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 11 February 2013 - 02:29 AM.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#505 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

Lol BB got banned because of this thread?

Alot of threads seemed to turn into a heated debate and the majority of her posts would be condescending and belittling to those who opposed her opinion. In other words she was just plain disrespectful and would give "your an idiot for thinking that way" kind of answers all the time.

It's too bad though, she seemed to have a lot of friends on here. This is another case of the punishment does not fit the crime but ironically Babes stance on the issue in the thread was teach that disrespectful brat Soto a lesson. What a way to go out haha

I had a 3 day ban once for crossing the line. I'm pretty good for the most part but everyone slips up once in a while. I hope they didnt ban her for life.

This could desribe another member who is posting in this thread

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#506 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:45 AM

Inherent adjective 1. existing in someone or something as a permanent and inseparable element, quality, or attribute: an inherent distrust of strangers.

Fiduciary noun 1. Law. a person to whom property or power is entrusted for the benefit of another. adjective

I believe that a judge is a person who has power entrusted in him for the benefit of others , the power to make a judgement on the case we are discussing.
He also has an inherent duty to the people he is making judgements on , to make fair and informed judgement for the state, federal or county government he serves

Quoting a dictionary has little relevance because the terms have specific legal meanings and application. They do not apply to the judge who cited Ms. Soto for criminal contempt. He does not have an "inherent fiduciary duty" at law as you erroneously claimed.

Your belief is based upon a fundamental misunderstanding.

#507 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:58 AM

Quoting a dictionary has little relevance because the terms have specific legal meanings and application. They do not apply to the judge who cited Ms. Soto for criminal contempt. He does not have an "inherent fiduciary duty" at law as you erroneously claimed.

Your belief is based upon a fundamental misunderstanding.

You claimed i was attempting to use terms, , wrong i actually used them, that i had no understanding of , again i have proven you wrong by demonstrating the fact that i understand the meaning of these terms , and the context i was using them in.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#508 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:20 AM

You claimed i was attempting to use terms, , wrong i actually used them, that i had no understanding of , again i have proven you wrong by demonstrating the fact that i understand the meaning of these terms , and the context i was using them in.

You had no understanding of the terms as they applied to this situation. You were using them incorrectly and out of context.

The classical legal formulation of a fiduciary (which does not apply to a judge):

A fiduciary is someone who has undertaken to act for and on behalf of another in a particular matter in circumstances which give rise to a relationship of trust and confidence. ~ Mothew (t/a Stapley & Co) v Bristol & West Building Society [1996] EWCA Civ 533, [1998] Ch 1 (24 July 1996)

A lawyer has a fiduciary duty to his/her client because the lawyer has agreed to act for the client as with a principal and agent or a trustee.

The same is not true of judge. His authority is as an impartial arbiter between parties.

You clearly misapprehend the legal meaning of fiduciary duties.

Your posts present the classic example of the old saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

#509 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:39 AM

You had no understanding of the terms as they applied to this situation. You were using them incorrectly and out of context.

The classical legal formulation of a fiduciary (which does not apply to a judge):

A fiduciary is someone who has undertaken to act for and on behalf of another in a particular matter in circumstances which give rise to a relationship of trust and confidence. ~ Mothew (t/a Stapley & Co) v Bristol & West Building Society [1996] EWCA Civ 533, [1998] Ch 1 (24 July 1996)

A lawyer has a fiduciary duty to his/her client because the lawyer has agreed to act for the client as with a principal and agent or a trustee.

The same is not true of judge. His authority is as an impartial arbiter between parties.

You clearly misapprehend the legal meaning of fiduciary duties.

Your posts present the classic example of the old saying that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Again you attempt to deride me , are you incapable of maintaining a polite conversation ?

I am not attempting to use the legal meaning of the word fiduciary , rather the dictionary meaning i quoted.

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#510 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,399 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:53 AM

Again you attempt to deride me , are you incapable of maintaining a polite conversation ?

I am not attempting to use the legal meaning of the word fiduciary , rather the dictionary meaning i quoted.

But when referring to a judge, the legal definition is obviously the appropriate one.

KcJJSvD.jpg

Put Gino in the ROH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.