Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
565 replies to this topic

#511 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:08 AM

But when referring to a judge, the legal definition is obviously the appropriate one.

But when referring to a judge, the legal definition is obviously the appropriate one.

Just because i was using this term in relation to a judge does not mean i have to use the legal meaning of the word, unless you are a lawyer and want to argue about the letter of the law.
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#512 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

This could desribe another member who is posting in this thread

Everyone is guilty to a degree once in a while, I try to stay level headed as much as I can but slip up every now and then. I usually feel like a dick and don't feel high on myself at all like some others when I end up saying something dumb like that.

I just really found it ironic after pages of her arguing that soto is a disrespectful brat that doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut when being justifiably provoked in a place that has rules to keep order and respect. She maintained soto deserved to get the book thrown at her and thrown in jail... Then BB ultimately lost her cool Penelope style and got a CDC ban for it? Haha wtf

#513 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:16 AM

Just because i was using this term in relation to a judge does not mean i have to use the legal meaning of the word, unless you are a lawyer and want to argue about the letter of the law.

Yes, it does. The context you used the word in was incorrect.

In a similar manner, one would not take Hansen to Tijuana for the weekend to help him score.

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#514 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:27 AM

Everyone is guilty to a degree once in a while, I try to stay level headed as much as I can but slip up every now and then. I usually feel like a dick and don't feel high on myself at all like some others when I end up saying something dumb like that.

I just really found it ironic after pages of her arguing that soto is a disrespectful brat that doesn't know when to keep her mouth shut when being justifiably provoked in a place that has rules to keep order and respect. She maintained soto deserved to get the book thrown at her and thrown in jail... Then BB ultimately lost her cool Penelope style and got a CDC ban for it? Haha wtf

Apart from one slip up when i first started using these boards , i treat every one with the dignity and respect i expect to be treated with .

BB was not banned for her particapation in this thread.
"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia

#515 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:35 AM

In a similar manner, one would not take Hansen to Tijuana for the weekend to help him score.

???
Noam Chomsky

#516 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:38 AM

???

In each case, a word is being used with the correct meaning, but in the wrong context.

Edited by Number14, 11 February 2013 - 04:38 AM.

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#517 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:45 AM

In each case, a word is being used with the correct meaning, but in the wrong context.

You sound like a lawyer , one who is not interested in the spirit of the law , rather the letter of the law.

No offense intended.
Noam Chomsky

#518 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:15 AM

Definition of Judge: "A public officer chosen or elected to preside over and to administer the law in a court of justice; one who controls the proceedings in a courtroom and decides questions of law or discretion."
Quote: Chief Justice Vanderbilt, Driscoll v. Burlington-Bristol Bridge Co., 86 A.2d 201 at 221-22 (N.J. Sup. Ct. 1952).
"[Public officers] stand in a fiduciary relationship to the people whom they have been elected or appointed to serve . . . . As fiduciaries and trustees of the public weal they are under an inescapable obligation to serve the public with the highest fidelity. In discharging the duties of their office, they are required to display such intelligence and skill as they are capable of, to be diligent and conscientious, to exercise their discretion not arbitrarily but reasonably, and above all to display good faith, honesty and integrity . . . . They must be impervious to corrupting influences and they must transact their business frankly and openly in the light of public scrutiny so that the public may know and be able to judge them and their work fairly . . . .
These obligations are not mere theoretical concepts or idealistic abstractions of no practical force and effect; they are obligations imposed by the common law on public officers and assumed by them as a matter of law upon their entering public office. The enforcement of these obligations is essential to the soundness and efficiency of our government, which exists for the benefit of the people."
Link to Chief Justice Vanderbilt Chronology:
http://www.wesleyan..../VA1000-186.xml
Note: Honors. Vanderbilt was awarded thirty-one honorary degrees in the United States and Canada. In 1948 he was awarded the Gold Medal of the American Bar Association, given rarely. He also won numerous other honors

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 11 February 2013 - 05:18 AM.

Noam Chomsky

#519 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:50 AM

Posted Image

That is the cutest little creature I have ever seen.... :wub: But I feel that I have very little else to offer here on CDC. This thread, like many others, has degenerated into a Law and Justice class and an epithet slinging session...Apologies WC...it wasn't that I disliked you, I just hate lawyers. Another reason I have to take at least a long hiatus from posting here, is I have grown up responsibilities now that two of my family members, my grandmother and my father, have adult dementia. To be perfectly blunt, CDC has degenerated into a poop-flinging match on many issues. You could be the most attractive human being on the face of the planet, but even the most attractive people look ugly flinging their ****. Cowardly keyboard warriors and dupe account idiots drove one of my best friends here away, the one whom I always turned to when I needed advice on how to deal with my father and his dementia, my grandmother and her dementia, and on and on. She was the reason I came back to CDC in the first place, and I'm angry, confused, upset, and incredulous that she's been banned. She helped me through a lot of rough patches in my life after I came back from Hawaii...and was just overall the best friend I've probably ever had when it comes to dispensing helpful advice. It's all just too much for me to be able to tolerate even seeing the handles of some of these aforementioned keyboard warriors on my monitor right now. I have to take time away just to retain what's left of my sanity.

One Love
Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#520 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:03 AM

Delicious irony.

Anyways, I have a very hard time following what the last two pages were about, well, besides this crying about BB being banned, and someone arguing with Wetcoaster about something. With no new developments likely to occur on the subject I wonder if it might be time to drop such volatile topic..

Edited by zaibatsu, 11 February 2013 - 06:06 AM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

#521 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:05 AM

BB was NOT banned for anything she said in this thread ..
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#522 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:08 AM

Delicious irony.

Anyways, I have a very hard time following what the last two pages were about, well, besides this crying about BB being banned, and someone arguing with Wetcoaster about something. With no new developments likely to occur on the subject I wonder if it might be time to drop such volatile topic..

Nothing new here folks .. move along .. hopefully this is Z-man's last attempt at mocking someone who is not able to defend themselves .. realistically, that ain't gonna happen .. small minded folk canna escape their destiny ..

#523 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

That may well be the most bizarre attempt I have seen to try to avoid being so clearly mistaken,
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#524 Zamboni_14

Zamboni_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:26 AM

Nothing new here folks .. move along .. hopefully this is Z-man's last attempt at mocking someone who is not able to defend themselves .. realistically, that ain't gonna happen .. small minded folk canna escape their destiny ..

so if it's nothing new and people should move along... why quote and respond to it to just take a shot at him? There's been more than a few times that I've wanted to say a few things.. but rather than possibly stir up a bee hive, I just kept the remarks to myself.

Bottom line, she's gone for a remark that she made that the admin/mods didn't like (according to the post saying why she is banned.) Some will be happy she's gone, others will be upset she's gone. Either way, she's gone. Let's all move on...

#525 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:34 AM

Best follow your own, and my advice .. "Nothing new here folks .. move along" .. nothing new in the gloating at a defenseless person .. you either abhor it .. or, you support it openly or through tacit silence ..

#526 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

so if it's nothing new and people should move along... why quote and respond to it to just take a shot at him? There's been more than a few times that I've wanted to say a few things.. but rather than possibly stir up a bee hive, I just kept the remarks to myself.

Bottom line, she's gone for a remark that she made that the admin/mods didn't like (according to the post saying why she is banned.) Some will be happy she's gone, others will be upset she's gone. Either way, she's gone. Let's all move on...

what thread?

#527 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

That may well be the most bizarre attempt I have seen to try to avoid being so clearly mistaken,

Definition of Judge: "A public officer chosen or elected to preside over and to administer the law in a court of justice; one who controls the proceedings in a courtroom and decides questions of law or discretion."
Quote: Chief Justice Vanderbilt, Driscoll v. Burlington-Bristol Bridge Co., 86 A.2d 201 at 221-22 (N.J. Sup. Ct. 1952).
"[Public officers] stand in a fiduciary relationship to the people whom they have been elected or appointed to serve . . . . As fiduciaries and trustees of the public weal they are under an inescapable obligation to serve the public with the highest fidelity. In discharging the duties of their office, they are required to display such intelligence and skill as they are capable of, to be diligent and conscientious, to exercise their discretion not arbitrarily but reasonably, and above all to display good faith, honesty and integrity . . . . They must be impervious to corrupting influences and they must transact their business frankly and openly in the light of public scrutiny so that the public may know and be able to judge them and their work fairly . . . .
These obligations are not mere theoretical concepts or idealistic abstractions of no practical force and effect; they are obligations imposed by the common law on public officers and assumed by them as a matter of law upon their entering public office. The enforcement of these obligations is essential to the soundness and efficiency of our government, which exists for the benefit of the people."
Link to Chief Justice Vanderbilt Chronology:
http://www.wesleyan..../VA1000-186.xml
Note: Honors. Vanderbilt was awarded thirty-one honorary degrees in the United States and Canada. In 1948 he was awarded the Gold Medal of the American Bar Association, given rarely. He also won numerous other honors

I do not believe i was mistaken .
If i was not clear in my usage of the word i apologise , what Chief Justice Vanderbilt has stated is what i was trying to say.
Noam Chomsky

#528 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:16 PM

I do not believe i was mistaken .
If i was not clear in my usage of the word i apologise , what Chief Justice Vanderbilt has stated is what i was trying to say.

Yes you were mistaken and that quote does not assist when read in context.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#529 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:29 PM

Yes you were mistaken and that quote does not assist when read in context.

Are you going to argue with chief justice Vanderbilt ?
Noam Chomsky

#530 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:42 PM

Are you going to argue with chief justice Vanderbilt ?

Nope, but I can read and comprehend the meaning and put it in context.

#531 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:44 PM

Nope, but I can read and comprehend the meaning and put it in context.

I am very glad to hear this :)
Noam Chomsky

#532 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:16 PM

Lp
Posted Image

#533 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,907 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

BB was NOT banned for anything she said in this thread ..

I didn't think so, i was just pointing out the irony of her stance in this thread. If you want to take that as gloating at a defensless poster then go ahead but this entire thread was about judging a girl over one incident.

Was it a lifetime ban? if so that is kind of stupid. i agree with hartnells mane, this place is getting ridiculous. Hey Hartnell, do you not have any way to contact her other than cdc? If your that good of friends im sure someone around here could help you get her twitter handle or something

#534 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I didn't think so, i was just pointing out the irony of her stance in this thread. If you want to take that as gloating at a defensless poster then go ahead but this entire thread was about judging a girl over one incident.

Was it a lifetime ban? if so that is kind of stupid. i agree with hartnells mane, this place is getting ridiculous. Hey Hartnell, do you not have any way to contact her other than cdc? If your that good of friends im sure someone around here could help you get her twitter handle or something

We certainly do .
Noam Chomsky

#535 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

wow what happened in this thread I think I left in on page 3 or 4, I don't really want to read through 18 pages of posts anyone want to sum it up for me? So far I have gathered that there was some sort of excriment being thrown around, but if there is anyone with specifics I would appreciate it. Actually you don't have to go into detail at all if there was actually poop being thrown around. ;)
Posted Image

#536 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Not sure if anyone noticed, but she apolagized and she didn't serve any jail time, making this entire thread completely moot. Please change title of thread.

http://www.cbsnews.c...0-day-sentence/

oh good to hear! Maybe the judge could have sentenced her to that scared straight show... I don't think a lot of those kids will ever break the law again,.
Posted Image

#537 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

wow what happened in this thread I think I left in on page 3 or 4, I don't really want to read through 18 pages of posts anyone want to sum it up for me? So far I have gathered that there was some sort of excriment being thrown around, but if there is anyone with specifics I would appreciate it. Actually you don't have to go into detail at all if there was actually poop being thrown around. ;)

'I think this'
'You're wrong'
'But my opinion is this and that.
'You're wrong'

#538 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

'I think this'
'You're wrong'
'But my opinion is this and that.
'You're wrong'

Not wrong per se just uninformed and ignorant of the relevant and applicable law, legal principles and legal terminology as it related to the court appearances, citation for and purging of criminal contempt, the criminal charge process,referral to a drug rehab program in lieu of conviction and the differing roles and powers of the two judges involved in Ms. Soto's three appearances in criminal court.

#539 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Not wrong per se just uninformed and ignorant of the relevant and applicable law, legal principles and legal terminology as it related to the court appearances, citation for and purging of criminal contempt, the criminal charge process,referral to a drug rehab program in lieu of conviction and the differing roles and powers of the two judges involved in Ms. Soto's three appearances in criminal court.

lol. You just can't quit can you.

#540 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Some of us like discussing more than what banal, superficial elements of a topic than you've repeated ad nauseam.

Every self-backpatting post you continue to make, it's clear you still haven't a clue, which is why virtually no one wants to discuss with you now.

Your literalism, pedantic behaviour, and haughtiness following just about every person's subjective opinion is a detriment to discussion.

Edited by zaibatsu, 12 February 2013 - 01:24 PM.

How do you embarrass a crackhead wearing a viking helmet?

How do you roast charcoal? -- Jeff Ross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.