Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
565 replies to this topic

#31 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

POPULAR

She. Broke. The. Law. which is why she was in court to begin with. An adult court. And then, she was in contempt of court..not just once, but several times. This isn't a debate about non-victimization, it is about a mouthy teenager who showed blatant disrespect to a judge and the court. And she did it repeatedly despite the first punitive measure. She behaved stupidly, rudely, insolently and disrespectfully and is old enough to know she should have got her act together long before her bail hit the $5000 mark. It's the consequences of her actions and bad behavior. Nobody made her behave that way, just her. So what if her life was hard? At 18 you have a measure of right and wrong and she clearly knew what she was doing when she flipped the judge the bird. Consequences of your behavior....not just one instance of it, but several. She obviously was not getting the message but now I'm betting she does. 30 days, princess......enjoy.

I get why, I'm questioning whether she should be doing 30 days in jail. Again, you fail to explain the benefit. A cost/benefit analysis would show this to be a waste of everyone's time.
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#32 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

I was addressing BB's statement, not the article's:

I'm not disputing the ability to do what the judge did, I am questioning the benefit of such powers. What is this more likely to achieve, respect for authority that punishes disproportionately (or fear, to be more precise) or a good future behavior by a borderline juvenile delinquent?

Moreover, how beneficial it is to the justice system, more in the line of wasting taxpayer money on jails, to have an egotistical judge who not only picks a fight by being a prick and dismissing someone (regardless of her smirk) condescendingly when they were not told to leave (and who knows what this guy would have done if she had walked away before he was done), but goes a step further when he doubles her bail and mocks her.. this is not to teach someone a lesson, it's not to enforce laws, it's not to bring prestige to a court, it's to be a prick. So a judge sent someone to jail for something that was partially his fault for instigating, and himself further wasted the court's time. If he had just let it go when she said adios and went along continuing to do his job, there's nothing that comes of this. Instead he wants to turn a simple couple minute-long hearing into a Judge Judy episode.

Then of course all of this is because of her having possession of Xanax. Big whoop, moron judge.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#33 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yes... an 18 year old with a record and a 10,000 debt to the court - way to start an adult life. All for saying "Adios" and fingering a prick in a black robe.

The only lesson here is not to talk back to authority. Most valuable lesson in North American society these days.

She is free to talk back, but as she has now learned freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

You seem to suffer from the same sort of attitude plaguing Ms. Soto and I would recommend that should you find yourself in court that you not conduct yourself in a like manner.

In Canada it is not codified and flows from the inherent jurisdiction of the court. The common law jurisdiction in criminal matters is preserved by s. 9 of the Code, which prevents any conviction for offences at common law, but also states:

... nothing in this section affects the power, jurisdiction or authority that a court, judge, justice or magistrate had, immediately before the 1st day of April 1955, to impose punishment for contempt of court.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#34 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,672 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Because jail is a place where people learn to be respectful of others...
Riiiiight :rolleyes:

What faster way to learn than to have 6'6 250lb Big Buff towering over you wanting to make you his bum buddy.

#35 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

What faster way to learn than to have 6'6 250lb Big Buff towering over you wanting to make you his bum buddy.

She'd be very unlucky then, since I doubt there's many 6ft6 250lb women in jail wanting to make someone their "bum buddy".

Edited by zaibatsu, 05 February 2013 - 06:05 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#36 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

It would be easier to show judges respect if judges showed respect.

In about 30 years of appearing before judges I can say I have yet to encounter a judge not worthy of respect. And I have clashed with more than few judges over the years.

Even if you do not respect the person wearing the judicial robes, you must respect the office and authority.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#37 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

In about 30 years of appearing before judges I can say I have yet to encounter a judge not worthy of respect. And I have clashed with more than few judges over the years.

Even if you do not respect the person wearing the judicial robes, you must respect the office and authority.

Neither will be respected if respect is not given.

Judge in a position of authority and certainly her senior by many years should be setting an example, not picking a fight so he can help clog up jails with people that shouldn't be there.

Edited by zaibatsu, 05 February 2013 - 06:07 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#38 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Moreover, how beneficial it is to the justice system, more in the line of wasting taxpayer money on jails, to have an egotistical judge who not only picks a fight by being a prick and dismissing someone (regardless of her smirk) condescendingly when they were not told to leave (and who knows what this guy would have done if she had walked away before he was done), but goes a step further when he doubles her bail and mocks her.. this is not to teach someone a lesson, it's not to enforce laws, it's not to bring prestige to a court, it's to be a prick. So a judge sent someone to jail for something that was partially his fault for instigating, and himself further wasted the court's time. If he had just let it go when she said adios and went along continuing to do his job, there's nothing that comes of this. Instead he wants to turn a simple couple minute-long hearing into a Judge Judy episode.

Then of course all of this is because of her having possession of Xanax. Big whoop, moron judge.

She had Xanax. Right. And perhaps if she had behaved in court she wouldn't be facing what she is now, would have paid a smaller bail and gone home. Love how you seem to know the judge is 'egotistical'.....and a 'prick'........and 'condescending' when in fact this teenager is the one clearly in the wrong...not just once, not just twice, not even just three times. You're terribly judgemental for someone who wasn't even there. The teenager's behavior is well documented.....the judge as well. he has exercised his mandate to enforce the law....and for repeated contempt of court...it's well justified.

What had the judge done prior to Soto's contempt of court that was disrespectful? Expect her to conduct herself in a respectful manner while in a court of law appearing before a judge? Well pa-a-a-a-a-ardon me. :picard: :rolleyes:

The brilliance of your post content is less than satisfactory.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 05 February 2013 - 06:10 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#39 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

No, I'm well aware of how to behave around judges. She'll do 30 days for disrespect - that is absurd. Yes, I understand the legal ability, I question purpose.

The purpose was to teach her a lesson. Hopefully the lesson will be learned.

#40 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

She is free to talk back, but as she has now learned freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

You seem to suffer from the same sort of attitude plaguing Ms. Soto and I would recommend that should you find yourself in court that you not conduct yourself in a like manner.

In Canada it is not codified and flows from the inherent jurisdiction of the court. The common law jurisdiction in criminal matters is preserved by s. 9 of the Code, which prevents any conviction for offences at common law, but also states:

... nothing in this section affects the power, jurisdiction or authority that a court, judge, justice or magistrate had, immediately before the 1st day of April 1955, to impose punishment for contempt of court.

Thank you Dr. Phil. Any other life lessons you feel you should be teaching me? Maybe tell me how eating paste is a bad idea? No?

You repeatedly beg the question I raise - what benefit jailing her brings.
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

#41 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Neither will be respected if respect is not given.

Judge in a position of authority and certainly her senior by many years should be setting an example, not picking a fight so he can help clog up jails with people that shouldn't be there.

Nothing I saw indicated the judge was not behaving properly.

#42 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Thank you Dr. Phil. Any other life lessons you feel you should be teaching me? Maybe tell me how eating paste is a bad idea? No?

You repeatedly beg the question I raise - what benefit jailing her brings.

It teaches her a lesson as I have said.

#43 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

"What faster way to learn obedience of authority than via threat of violence and rape?"

This thread is very good at exposing American judicial system's problems.

Edited by Lockout Casualty, 05 February 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#44 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

It teaches her a lesson as I have said.

And I said it doesn't. Quite the impasse.

#45 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

Good. Lay the hammer down on smart ass kids because there is far too many of them.
Posted Image

#46 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

POPULAR

The purpose was to teach her a lesson. Hopefully the lesson will be learned.

Don't say anything, ever, to any judge or cop. Keep your right to remain silent.

A good to go along with the ones you learn in prison on how to commit crime better.

Oh, and hate the system.

Those tend to be the lessons learn if history holds. Tough punishment for soft crime is a great way to promote someone to hard crime.

#47 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Good. Lay the hammer down on smart ass kids because there is far too many of them.

Ya right, she will be a hero to smart ass kids ever.

Come out with an "Adios judge" tshirt with her pic on it and next thing you know she won't have to worry about the 10k fine.

Since when is bad behavior in the states rewarded with anything but celebrity?

#48 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

And I said it doesn't. Quite the impasse.

OTOH I have years of experience in seeing such things work - not always of course. And if you have read any of my past posts you would know that I am not a proponent of incarceration generally but only where warranted. And IMHO this is most definitely one of those times.

#49 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:29 PM

Don't say anything, ever, to any judge or cop. Keep your right to remain silent.

A good to go along with the ones you learn in prison on how to commit crime better.

Oh, and hate the system.

Those tend to be the lessons learn if history holds. Tough punishment for soft crime is a great way to promote someone to hard crime.

100% this. Say nothing. The entire system is designed to entrap you. Silence is golden :D

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#50 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,087 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Ya right, she will be a hero to smart ass kids ever.

Come out with an "Adios judge" tshirt with her pic on it and next thing you know she won't have to worry about the 10k fine.

Since when is bad behavior in the states rewarded with anything but celebrity?

Yeah, I bet she has and will have NO fans
Posted Image

#51 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

Owned.

Bitch had an attitude, and needed to get it checked.

RIP LB RR PD

#52 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Yeah, I bet she has and will have NO fans

Hey, depends on how she markets it.

Youtube sensation!

Like the public admires people of substance! They love their train wrecks!

#53 vavoom

vavoom

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Why would the judge need to show her respect? She's the one in the orange jump suit!

#54 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,309 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

Maybe she'll grow up; probably not.

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#55 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Wow, am I the ONLY one who thinks this sentence was a little excessive? I mean sure, she was being rude, and her attitude was ... up but honestly all she did was flip him off and act stuck up, is it really worth a 30 day prison sentence?

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#56 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:55 PM

Hey, depends on how she markets it.

Youtube sensation!

Like the public admires people of substance! They love their train wrecks!

Quite reasonable.. seems many Americans, and judging by a number of the responses here (that are worthy of being seen), even Canadians, could understand a thing or two about both setting an example and how to (in a professional environment) handle someone acting like a smartass without being party to the problem.

Wow, am I the ONLY one who thinks this sentence was a little excessive? I mean sure, she was being rude, and her attitude was fcked up but honestly all she did was flip him off and act stuck up, is it really worth a 30 day prison sentence?

You're definitely not the only one, some of us are certainly making our opinions heard, otherwise would be drown out by posters who think a courtroom should be like a Judge Judy episode.

It's also reasonable to assume that had the judge not got butthurt over "adios", she walks away and deals with the $5,000 bail amount. It's also reasonable to assume had the judge not been a douche and mocked+antagonised her, she wouldn't have responded by flipping him off and mouthing off to him afterwords. Judge could not have possibly set a worse example, and if there is a such thing as fairness, his 30 day sentence will be overruled, with the overturning judge wearing a "adios judge" t-shirt of course. ;)

Edited by zaibatsu, 05 February 2013 - 06:59 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#57 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:58 PM

Wow, am I the ONLY one who thinks this sentence was a little excessive? I mean sure, she was being rude, and her attitude was fcked up but honestly all she did was flip him off and act stuck up, is it really worth a 30 day prison sentence?

No, no you are not. Read the thread.

#58 Dittohead

Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,184 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

lol

#59 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

[size=4]
Quite reasonable.. seems many Americans, and judging by a number of the responses here (that are worthy of being seen), even Canadians, could understand a thing or two about both setting an example and how to (in a professional environment) handle someone acting like a smartass without being party to the problem.

You're definitely not the only one, some of us are certainly making our opinions heard, otherwise would be drown out by posters who think a courtroom should be like a Judge Judy episode.

It's also reasonable to assume that had the judge not got butthurt over "adios", she walks away and deals with the $5,000 bail amount. It's also reasonable to assume had the judge not been a douche and mocked+antagonised her, she wouldn't have responded by flipping him off and mouthing off to him afterwords. Judge could not have possibly set a worse example, and if there is a such thing as fairness, his 30 day sentence will be overruled, with the overturning judge wearing a "adios judge" t-shirt of course. ;)

Your post clearly indicates that you are reading comprehension- challenged. This teenager had been disrespectful to the judge and the court before she ever said "Adios" It was only one of several things she did while in front of this judge. Read the article. :picard:

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#60 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:35 PM

Your post clearly indicates that you are reading comprehension- challenged. This teenager had been disrespectful to the judge and the court before she ever said "Adios" It was only one of several things she did while in front of this judge. Read the article. :picard:

Selective reading and misapprehension seems rampant in this thread, eh?

You would think it was about gun control. ::D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.