The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

nuckin_futz

Yeah, I can see why he did this, but I don't see how this is going to help the individual.

Clearly she has attitude issues and while jail might help her, very few people come out of jail and immediately turn into a changed person.

She should have been thrown into boot camp for some ass-whooping.

I think it's important to note why she was in front of the judge in the first place: drug possession. Her non-victimizing behavior is criminalized, and you expect her to show respect to a power-tripping authority? Let's not profile a girl based on an article, maybe she had a rough life, maybe she got away with everything, maybe she got raped and gave up caring. Your post reads just plain vindictive. Prison time over respect? Goddamn, in what world does that sound right? Give her community service and mandatory counselling for 30 days, don't throw her in jail.

Yes, benefit society. I bet she'll come out smarter in that she won't get caught next time, not that she'll be an upstanding member of society.

I think it's important to note why she was in front of the judge in the first place: drug possession. Her non-victimizing behavior is criminalized, and you expect her to show respect to a power-tripping authority? Let's not profile a girl based on an article, maybe she had a rough life, maybe she got away with everything, maybe she got raped and gave up caring. Your post reads just plain vindictive. Prison time over respect? Goddamn, in what world does that sound right? Give her community service and mandatory counselling for 30 days, don't throw her in jail.

Yes, benefit society. I bet she'll come out smarter in that she won't get caught next time, not that she'll be an upstanding member of society.

She. Broke. The. Law. which is why she was in court to begin with. An adult court. And then, she was in contempt of court..not just once, but several times. This isn't a debate about non-victimization, it is about a mouthy teenager who showed blatant disrespect to a judge and the court. And she did it repeatedly despite the first punitive measure. She behaved stupidly, rudely, insolently and disrespectfully and is old enough to know she should have got her act together long before her bail hit the $5000 mark. It's the consequences of her actions and bad behavior. Nobody made her behave that way, just her. So what if her life was hard? At 18 you have a measure of right and wrong and she clearly knew what she was doing when she flipped the judge the bird. Consequences of your behavior....not just one instance of it, but several. She obviously was not getting the message but now I'm betting she does. 30 days, princess......enjoy.

I was addressing BB's statement, not the article's:

I'm not disputing the ability to do what the judge did, I am questioning the benefit of such powers. What is this more likely to achieve, respect for authority that punishes disproportionately (or fear, to be more precise) or a good future behavior by a borderline juvenile delinquent?

Yes... an 18 year old with a record and a 10,000 debt to the court - way to start an adult life. All for saying "Adios" and fingering a prick in a black robe.

The only lesson here is not to talk back to authority. Most valuable lesson in North American society these days.

In about 30 years of appearing before judges I can say I have yet to encounter a judge not worthy of respect. And I have clashed with more than few judges over the years.

Even if you do not respect the person wearing the judicial robes, you must respect the office and authority.

Moreover, how beneficial it is to the justice system, more in the line of wasting taxpayer money on jails, to have an egotistical judge who not only picks a fight by being a prick and dismissing someone (regardless of her smirk) condescendingly when they were not told to leave (and who knows what this guy would have done if she had walked away before he was done), but goes a step further when he doubles her bail and mocks her.. this is not to teach someone a lesson, it's not to enforce laws, it's not to bring prestige to a court, it's to be a prick. So a judge sent someone to jail for something that was partially his fault for instigating, and himself further wasted the court's time. If he had just let it go when she said adios and went along continuing to do his job, there's nothing that comes of this. Instead he wants to turn a simple couple minute-long hearing into a Judge Judy episode.

Then of course all of this is because of her having possession of Xanax. Big whoop, moron judge.

She is free to talk back, but as she has now learned freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences.

You seem to suffer from the same sort of attitude plaguing Ms. Soto and I would recommend that should you find yourself in court that you not conduct yourself in a like manner.

In Canada it is not codified and flows from the inherent jurisdiction of the court. The common law jurisdiction in criminal matters is preserved by s. 9 of the Code, which prevents any conviction for offences at common law, but also states:

... nothing in this section affects the power, jurisdiction or authority that a court, judge, justice or magistrate had, immediately before the 1st day of April 1955, to impose punishment for contempt of court.

Archived