Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
565 replies to this topic

#181 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

From Florida law:

903.046 Purpose of and criteria for bail determination.

(1) The purpose of a bail determination in criminal proceedings is to ensure the appearance of the criminal defendant at subsequent proceedings and to protect the community against unreasonable danger from the criminal defendant.
http://law.onecle.co...ns/903.046.html

In this case the judge is clearly using increased bail as punishment for misbehaving. Wet, is this in violation of the spirit of bail, as outlined in the law?
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#182 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

If a wayward child like her is allowed free reign to ridicule the Courts, then anarchy will surely come next .. and for all the "toughness" that the typcal CDC'er tries to portray, most folks would be pooping in their pants if they had to go out in public .. I figure it is a good "object lesson" ..

I am sure her parents are proud ..

Edited by Tearloch7, 06 February 2013 - 06:03 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#183 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,159 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

Stop cutting and pasting laws, Especially Canadian laws since I was talking about the American legal system. Start reading peoples posts rather than responding to them by what you think they are trying to say. I'm saying thats how it is (justice system is about punishment) and you're giving me laws to say that's how it is. Just trying to find an argument where there is none.

And if you try to argue that a paid Attorney representing her would have gotten the same outcome then you really don't know what you're talking about period

Meet our resident legal expert

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#184 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

You are incorrect, apples and orangutans.

Actually not. But then you are wrong as is your usual MO.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#185 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Actually not. But then you are wrong as is your usual MO.

Zooom...

Obviously the point of that post went over your head.

Apples and orangutans.

#186 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

The same principles apply in the US in Florida and other states as well as the UK and other similar legal systems.

And your law degree and legal practise certificate was obtained from which jurisdiction and how long have you been a lawyer?

This is just false. The legal systems of the United States and Canada are miles different. They may stem from the same "common law" root, but there are huge differences in the way they operate.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#187 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,312 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

The same principles apply in the US in Florida and other states as well as the UK and other similar legal systems.

And your law degree and legal practise certificate was obtained from which jurisdiction and how long have you been a lawyer?

Just as long as you Wetcoaster and that magical jurisdiction where people care about what you cut and paste. And those legal systems could be exactly the same, but cutting and pasting those laws still have ZERO relavancy to what I posted. But keep up your cutting and pasting skills cause you do that masterfully!
Posted Image

#188 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

If a wayward child like her is allowed free reign to ridicule the Courts, then anarchy will surely come next .. and for all the "toughness" that the typcal CDC'er tries to portray, most folks would be pooping in their pants if they had to go out in public .. I figure it is a good "object lesson" ..

I am sure her parents are proud ..

Just so we maintain a little bit of perspective,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZed8af9RI
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

#189 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,820 posts

Apples and orangutans.

what does this even mean
MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#190 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

Zooom...

Obviously the point of that post went over your head.

Apples and orangutans.

No it did not - you engaged in your usual practise of misdirection and idiotic commentary as many have pointed out as being your standard MO.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#191 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:10 PM

This is just false. The legal systems of the United States and Canada are miles different. They may stem from the same "common law" root, but there are huge differences in the way they operate.

They are different in some areas but in this area, being a specific common law procedure rooted in English law and transplanted to the US (and Canada) it operates on the same principles. I checked out how criminal contempt in the face of the court is handled in Florida to confirm this to be so.

#192 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,368 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

what does this even mean

It means that comparison you were making isn't even the same metaphorical fruit. If my kid was acting that way in front of a judge, than I have failed and she should get whats coming to her. I have ZERO sympathy for people who do stuff like that in court.

Edited by pimpcurtly, 06 February 2013 - 06:23 PM.

Posted Image

#193 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Just as long as you Wetcoaster and that magical jurisdiction where people care about what you cut and paste. And those legal systems could be exactly the same, but cutting and pasting those laws still have ZERO relavancy to what I posted. But keep up your cutting and pasting skills cause you do that masterfully!

And zero relevance to this case, really. Most of what is pasted is Canadian law as you said and Canadian law means a hill of beans in Florida.
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#194 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:14 PM

what does this even mean

It means "can't come up with many original thoughts".

From Florida law:

(1) The purpose of a bail determination in criminal proceedings is to ensure the appearance of the criminal defendant at subsequent proceedings and to protect the community against unreasonable danger from the criminal defendant.

In this case the judge is clearly using increased bail as punishment for misbehaving. Wet, is this in violation of the spirit of bail, as outlined in the law?

When she muttered "Rick Ross" she was, in coded language, threatening the judge of pelting him with apples and orangutans. Throwing her in jail means keeping the Xanax safe from her abusing it.

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 February 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#195 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

what does this even mean

Apples and orangutans (or otherwise known as apples and oranges) is a figure of speech. It is an expression that points out that two seemingly similar ideas are actually different ideas altogether - hence apples and oranges.

Orangutans is just a play-on-words in lieu of orange, which looks similar to oranges. However, it may also be intention.

Since one could claim that apples and oranges are fruit, they are essentially 'the same'. However, orangutans are primates. And an apple is a kind of fruit, thus making clear of the difference.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#196 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Apples and orangutans (or otherwise known as apples and oranges) is a figure of speech. It is an expression that points out that two seemingly similar ideas are actually different ideas altogether - hence apples and oranges.

Orangutans is just a play-on-words in lieu of orange, which looks similar to oranges. However, it may also be intention.

Since one could claim that apples and oranges are fruit, they are essentially 'the same'. However, orangutans are primates. And an apple is a kind of fruit, thus making clear of the difference.

So if I said Avocados and Lemurs...same principle...I guess...
Posted Image

#197 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:17 PM

So if I said Avocados and Lemurs...same principle...I guess...

Bertuzzi's and Ronaldo's.

Oprah's and Bieber's.

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 February 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#198 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

Oprah's and Bieber's.

Limbaughs and Olbermanns ok that's enough of that. ;)
Posted Image

#199 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Limbaughs and Olbermanns ok that's enough of that. ;)

THC's and Taco Bell's?

#200 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Oprah's and Bieber's.

Zaibatsu and Jesus .. I believe you have it ..

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#201 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

Incorrect, as per usual. As you brag about supposedly having me on ignore, how could you possibly have any relevant or credible comment to make about what I post?

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 06 February 2013 - 06:24 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#202 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Incorrect, as per usual. As you brag about supposedly having me on ignore, how could you possibly have any relevant or credible comment to make about what I post?

Clairvoyance? .. B)

#203 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

From Florida law:

Or the judge determined that her behaviour in court showed that she had little regard for the court process and an increased amount of bail was necessary to ensure her attendance.

#204 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:32 PM

[size=4]

[size=4]
When she muttered "Rick Ross" she was, in coded language, threatening the judge of pelting him with apples and orangutans. Throwing her in jail means keeping the Xanax safe from her abusing it.

Xanax...holy crap dude. Pharm drugs are poison..I used to be highly addicted to Klonopin and that **** is no joke. People are prescribed these highly unstable pharmaceutical drugs that wind up causing more problems via side effect than the symptoms they try to cure. And these are the LEGAL drugs. :picard:
Posted Image

#205 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Based on my limited observation of the American Judicial system, can anyone share what the actual % of time served versus sentence levied is? .. Lindsay Lohan only ever spends 1/3 of her sentence, so would Penelope be serving 10 days? .. just curious ..

#206 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Or the judge determined that her behaviour in court showed that she had little regard for the court process and an increased amount of bail was necessary to ensure her attendance.

You mean to say doubling the bond amount for an 18 year old making 200/week is not punishment? Her behavior gives no indication of the value she would place on 5,000. Furthermore, there is no indication doubling the amount would have the desired effect.

#207 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:41 PM

You mean to say doubling the bond amount for an 18 year old making 200/week is not punishment? Her behavior gives no indication of the value she would place on 5,000. Furthermore, there is no indication doubling the amount would have the desired effect.

Excellent point, man.
Posted Image

#208 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:42 PM

Based on my limited observation of the American Judicial system, can anyone share what the actual % of time served versus sentence levied is? .. Lindsay Lohan only ever spends 1/3 of her sentence, so would Penelope be serving 10 days? .. just curious ..

Lindsay Lohan has money. Money talks, bull**** walks. That's the difference there Charlie ;)
Posted Image

#209 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,766 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

Honestly it looks to me like he got his desired effect.

He was antagonistic for whatever personal reason, the only cause I can think of for him baiting her into contempt of court was he intended to throw her in jail.

#210 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:43 PM

The point of increasing bail is to make the financial penalty more coercive in order that attendance is compelled. That is the basic theory of setting bail amounts.

Remember George Zimmerman who is accused of murdering Trayvon Martin. He was released on an initial bond of $150,000 that was revoked and replaced with a new bond of $1 million?
http://www.cnn.com/2...a-teen-shooting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.