Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Judge throws teen in jail for 30 days for giving him the finger.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
565 replies to this topic

#211 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

Honestly it looks to me like he got his desired effect.

He was antagonistic for whatever personal reason, the only cause I can think of for him baiting her into contempt of court was he intended to throw her in jail.

There was no baiting. She was warned clearly and chose to not heed that warning.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#212 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:45 PM

He was antagonistic for whatever personal reason, the only cause I can think of for him baiting her into contempt of court was he intended to throw her in jail.

Power corrupts...he did, as you say, appear to have some sort of animosity toward her before she showed him the state bird of Texas...I think he was looking for a reason to throw her in jail...which, as I said, wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 06 February 2013 - 06:46 PM.

Posted Image

View PostScott Hartnell, on 11 June 2013 - 02:11 PM, said:

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#213 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

America's justice system works best if they get them young. Giving them any more of a chance is plain wrong!

Worthy note: Hispanics are more than 50% more likely to be charged than white folks (and much less than blacks)
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#214 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:49 PM

There was no baiting. She was warned clearly and chose to not heed that warning.

She never interrupted the court's process, she was standing at the podium respectfully waiting for him to be finished, regardless of prior, ambiguous "warning". There was no obvious indicators he was done until he condescendingly dismissed her.

Are you under the impression she would have said or done the things she did had the judge not antagonised her?

Logic says no.

What say you?

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 February 2013 - 06:50 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#215 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Worthy note: Hispanics are more than 50% more likely to be charged than white folks (and much less than blacks)

Hmmm...... yet the judge in this case is......... Hispanic.......go figure, eh?

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#216 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

America's justice system works best if they get them young. Giving them any more of a chance is plain wrong!

Well of course...how else can you explain the recidivism rate being so damn high? Get 'em in the system early...that's the game plan.. /tongue-in-cheek
Posted Image

Well I tell you what Heretic..if Tim Tebow becomes Terry Bradshaw I will shave off all my hair, convert to Christianity, go into the ministry and become a preacher.

#217 Lockout Casualty

Lockout Casualty

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

The point of increasing bail is to make the financial penalty more coercive in order that attendance is compelled. That is the basic theory of setting bail amounts.

Remember George Zimmerman who is accused of murdering Trayvon Martin. He was released on an initial bond of $150,000 that was revoked and replaced with a new bond of $1 million?
http://www.cnn.com/2...a-teen-shooting

What reason is there to think 5,000 was not coercive enough? Her bail increased as a direct result of her behavior - it was a punishment, and in direct circumvention of the spirit of the money bond. Zimmerman was a son of a judge and 150,000 -> 1,000,000 is a substantial increase. 5,000 -> 10,000 is not, and it is disingenuous to state otherwise. It is clear 5,000 is a substantial amount for her to appear.
“Hi Nigel, just a quick note to say that I am always ready to do exactly what is asked but it would have been a great help to know in advance what the strategy was.”

- Carolyn Stewart Olsen, Conservative Senator.

#218 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:50 PM

She never interrupted the court's process, she was standing at the podium respectfully waiting for him to be finished, regardless of prior, ambiguous "warning". There was no obvious indicators he was done until he condescendingly dismissed her.

Are you under the impression she would have said or done the things she did had the judge not antagonised her?

Logic says no.

What say you?

I'll agree with logic. haha.
Posted Image

#219 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:53 PM

Logic says no.

What say you?

Not under any logic of which I am aware.

You are seeing something happening that I and others simply did not observe and ignoring what occurred and the chronology of events as I set out above.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#220 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Logic says no.

What say you?

How many times did he ask her how much her jewelry was worth? What answer did he finally get? Respectful indeed!
Posted Image

#221 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:00 PM

What reason is there to think 5,000 was not coercive enough? Her bail increased as a direct result of her behavior - it was a punishment, and in direct circumvention of the spirit of the money bond. Zimmerman was a son of a judge and 150,000 -> 1,000,000 is a substantial increase. 5,000 -> 10,000 is not, and it is disingenuous to state otherwise. It is clear 5,000 is a substantial amount for her to appear.

The judge set the amount and then she gave him cause to re-consider by her actions. Seems pretty clear. The usual practise is to pay a bail bondsman 10% of the nominal bail according to the article about Zimmerman - so instead of $500 she would have to come up with $1000. A larger amount also ensures the bail bond agency will be more careful to ensure attendance of the bailee because of the chance of a much greater loss.

#222 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

How many times did he ask her how much her jewelry was worth? What answer did he finally get? Respectful indeed!

Obviously that was a bad/dumb answer, one does not need focus on that because everyone knows it and it's not in dispute.

Not under any logic of which I am aware.

You are seeing something happening that I and others simply did not observe and ignoring what occurred and the chronology of events as I set out above.

Really? You didn't see the way the judge first dismissed her while she waited? You didn't see and hear the judge mock her "adios" after doubling her bail, then dismissing her again in the douche-like fashion he did the first time? You are in need of some special glasses and/or a hearing aid, then.

Go ahead and do what the judge did to someone and post results (preferably with proof). Bet you anything you get told off.

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 February 2013 - 07:06 PM.

"When Jonah's agent called him and said Quentin Tarantino wanted to put him in a spaghetti western [Django Unchained], Jonah was like, 'You had me at spaghetti.'"

"Aziz has been charming audiences and snakes for years. And I guess you’re here tonight because now that Kanye had a real baby he doesn’t need you anymore."

-- Jeff Ross

#223 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:04 PM

Obviously that was a bad/dumb answer, one does not need focus on that because everyone knows it.

Really? You didn't see the way the judge first dismissed her while she waited? You didn't see and hear the judge mock her "adios" after doubling her bail, then dismissing her again in the douche-like fashion he did the first time? You are in need of some special glasses and/or a hearing aid, then.

Nope.

#224 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:07 PM

Obviously that was a bad/dumb answer, one does not need focus on that because everyone knows it and it's not in dispute.

You don't think that was the genesis for the predicament she is in now?!?!?
Posted Image

#225 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Yet you refuse to acknowledge that it helped create the situation wherein she found herself in jail for contempt of court. Talking out of two sides of mouth....does not generate much faith in the credibility of the one who makes the utterance.

Go ahead and do what the judge did to someone and post results (preferably with proof).

:rolleyes:

The brick is most thick with this one ^^^^ The post that is, just to clarify.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 06 February 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#226 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

comment withdrawn upon second examination.

Edited by Scott Hartnell's Mane, 06 February 2013 - 07:20 PM.

Posted Image

#227 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

nvm

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#228 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

You don't think that was the genesis for the predicament she is in now?!?!?

If criminal contempt was saying "Rick Ross" (obviously she had no tangible number) then he should have done it then and there, instead he antagonised and mocked her. This is not proper behaviour of a judge that wants the judicial system to be taken seriously.

Nope.

I've seen better attempts at playing dumb than this.

0/10

-- Jeff Ross

#229 Scott Hartnell's Mane

Scott Hartnell's Mane

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

As WC has esplained several times, the judge wanted to know the value of her jewelry as an asset in assessing the amount of her bail. :)

Right on. Comment withdrawn. lol. I'm getting off of here to study my Eights. Catch you on the flip side.
Posted Image

#230 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:20 PM

The way I see this is the judge made an example of her. How is the worth of her jewelry in any way relevant to the prescription drug charge she was originally brought in for? Judge was being just as much a smart ass as she was and because he's the one with the power, she's the one getting nailed for it. That's it in a nutshell.

If I'm ever being a smartass to a judge...I'm going to expect to get it right back. She played with fire, she got burned....it in a nutshell as far as I see it.
Posted Image

#231 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

Right on. Comment withdrawn. lol. I'm getting off of here to study my Eights. Catch you on the flip side.

*flip* Happy studying! You're gonna kill 'em! ::D

I edited out my comment, too! :)

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 06 February 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#232 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:21 PM

If criminal contempt was saying "Rick Ross" (obviously she had no tangible number) then he should have done it then and there, instead he antagonised and mocked her. This is not proper behaviour of a judge that wants the judicial system to be taken seriously.

Criminal contempt was swearing and gesturing the judge...did you watch the video??
Posted Image

#233 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

If I'm ever being a smartass to a judge...I'm going to expect to get it right back. She played with fire, she got burned....it in a nutshell as far as I see it.

In what way would it serve well for a court for a judge to be a "smartass" "right back"?

As ronthecivil said earlier, all this judge accomplished is getting her attention, likely in the form of "Adios, judge".

No concept of setting an example.

Criminal contempt was swearing and gesturing the judge...did you watch the video??

The only time she did anything unprovoked was until the "Rick Ross" part. Hard to find someone in criminal contempt of a court when the person finding it is part of the problem. Of course, this guy sits on a throne of absolute rule for contempt charges, I have a feeling it would be different otherwise.

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.

-- Jeff Ross

#234 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

nvm ~ just too frickin' easy :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 06 February 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#235 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:26 PM

I've seen better attempts at playing dumb than this.

0/10

The only playing dumb I see is emanating from you.

She was warned clearly this was a serious matter and that she should treat it as such and chose to ignore that warning.

The criminal contempt was raising her middle finger and swearing at the judge.

#236 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

She was warned clearly this was a serious matter and that she should treat it as such and chose to ignore that warning.

Exactly.

It's just straight out trolling* now, WC, nothing more, nothing less. If ever there were a more clear cut example........

*Also known as 'Playing At Silly Buggers'......as was defined and stated previously on this board by a most wise man.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 06 February 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#237 Aleksandr Pistoletov

Aleksandr Pistoletov

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

The examples are also stated in the OP, you choose to voluntarily play dumb. Be my guest.

-- Jeff Ross

#238 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:28 PM

That's what I thought too but apparently Z saw it a little differently. :wacko:
Posted Image

#239 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:31 PM

The judge gave her plenty of leeway. Her contempt of court started long before she ever opened her mouth. Look at the video, she had the audacity to show up in his court (on a possession charge of all things) high as a kite. You may argue this all you want but she is high.

He is a judge, it is his job to judge her. That's what he did.

#240 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

The judge gave her plenty of leeway. Her contempt of court started long before she ever opened her mouth. Look at the video, she had the audacity to show up in his court (on a possession charge of all things) high as a kite. You may argue this all you want but she is high.

He is a judge, it is his job to judge her. That's what he did.

Exactly. End of story.

But.....but.........I'm sure the bleeding hearts will now argue that if she was high then she wasn't responsible for her bad behavior and should get to go home. Poor girlie, she had nooooo.......idea what she was doing. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, a huge <_< also accompanies that last bit. Just for the members of the woooooosh crowd.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 06 February 2013 - 07:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.