#61 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:31 AM

POPULAR

Didn't shut the door for Canada or it wouldn't have reached ot.

Did u watch the Nashville series. We shut them down as a team and the only way they were scoring was from behind the net. Solid goals lol

Lu is a regular season Allstar and a playoff bum. Seen it way to many times. Trade him while he's hot so we can actually get something for him and end this talk

He did the best he could. Parise was at the right spot at the right time. It was the team's fault for not staying in their positions and scrambling around the ice. Don't forget, Luongo made a key glove save on Demitra to allow Canada to the gold medal game.

Luongo has a history of winning multiple key games single handedly.

Chicago Game 7 - biggest game to date in franchise history, his team craps the bed in front of him, Hossa gets a breakaway, Canucks score 2 goals in over 60 minutes of play and Luongo has to make 30+ saves of high quality.

San Jose series - Luongo gets shelled, something like 54 shots against and he holds us to OT when we only score off a lucky bounce.

Boston series - Vancouver not only scores just 8 goals in 7 games, but lets up an unbelievable number of odd-man rushes against Lu. If we had any other goalie, this would have been a sweep. Instead, he posts a couple of 1-0 shutouts where our team deserved to be beaten 4 or 5-1 on both nights, and keeps us in a 3-2 OT game.

Don't forget that huge blocker save on Sharp in OT minutes before Burrows potted the game winner. That was key. If Luongo didn't save that, our history would be completely different.

This was when the game was still at 0-0.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TklrUHx5ZXk

And this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMockQnE9jE

Edited by Markus Alexander Cody, 06 February 2013 - 04:42 AM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

View PostMarkus Alexander Cody, on 19 July 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#62 Kevin Biestra

Kevin Biestra

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:44 AM

horrible?

he was the goalie we had 2 years ago who got to the stanley cup final game 7. He had 2 shutouts in the game final series and our team was once tied with Boston dispite being outscore like 4-12 or something like that.

and all the sudden Luongo is horrible in playoff and Schneider, a goalie who played a grant total of eight playoff game, is proven and will carry us into the playoff...

jesus christ who let these people register on Cdc?

To defend Luongo you cite the fact that we were tied with Boston despite being outscored 12-4?
Posted ImagePosted Image

Biestra speaks. Biestra educates.

Let Canucks management know you want King Richard Brodeur in the Ring of Honour with no further delay! He's been retired for 25 years!

http://forum.canucks...e-king-richard/

#63 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:08 AM

POPULAR

Luongo has a history of losing multiple key games singlehandedly. Tough to go into a series not sure whether your goalie will play like an NHLer or a Pee wee.

Well in that case you could probably say these stats are MORE applicable to our offence/defence which gets battered, ground down and blown away in best of 7's.
Many of the games we scraped wins in the playoffs are down to Lu. Games 1 and 2 against Boston for example.

It's time some our fans opened their eyes and realised we HAVE a playoff goalie...........we haven't quite got a playoff team.

As for Cory, I hope he is everything we EXPECT him to be as a starter............but who knows? So it becomes then a situation of first you have to get to the playoffs..............Lu does that in spades!

"To defend Luongo you cite the fact that we were tied with Boston despite being outscored 12-4?"
You do realise this is a TEAM game. While Lu AND the team keep goals out..............Lu has no part in the goals we score. Now let's see.................we scored 4 in how many games?

I suggest you go back and get your logic board rewired.

We scored 8 goals in 7 games, despite outshooting Boston by 33 shots

Boston scored 23 goals in 7 games. Lu let in 21 of them, (Cory 2 in game 6 after replacing Lu) 8 of these in one game (where was the D?)

So you can see that our offence just couldn't find a way to score, that's why we lost the SC. Lu letting in 8 in game 3 was a team melt down not just a goalie melt down.

To get to game 7 having only scored 8 goals (not one in our final home game) is a condemnation of the players out on the ice but not exclusively the net minder.

More worryingly was the trend continued in 2012 and due to failure of MG to address the scoring problems it will continue to haunt us only we may NOT have Lu to keep us in the game.

One more thing I wonder, looking at our total shots in 2011 how many of these were from our D. I have a theory that part of the reason we can't get it done in the Playoffs is our team relies far too heavily on offence from the D............leading to counter attacking teams like Boston and LA dominating us.

There is no doubt in my mind that come the playoffs it is our offence which melts down.

Edited by Bodee, 06 February 2013 - 06:47 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#64 StopesisCanucks

StopesisCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

AV should've pulled Lu in games 3 & 4. I went to game 5 and Lui was amazing, i hear people say oh AV should've put schneider in net for gm 6 in bean town, but how can 1 say that when 2 of your 3 wins have been by a shutout. Lui should've of been pulled a lot sooner in gm 6 maybe wouldn't have given the bruins so much swagger going into gm7.

Bad coaching mistakes and horrible offense and injured=Lou is a horrible playoff goalie. Oh how media and Shi!!y fans start crazy stories.

#65 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

Ok so here is my rebuttal and again sorry for posting info that I didn't double check.

Good eye's beer&meat and DeNiro

2008 did not make playoffs and I could not find his save % for the last six games but the nucks gave up 4.16 goals per game and Lou played all six.
.882 2009 vs Chicago
.896 2010 vs Chicago.
.832 2011 vs Boston

In 2008 we missed the playoffs by 9 points so the last six games had little importance but stats are there none the less and shows how he finished the year.

The point I was trying to make and is still valid is that although he is a great goalie most of the time he is known for falling apart in the playoffs and the stats back it up. You can make any reasoning as to why he falls apart but the point is it happens every year. Save % under .86 and we are not going to win.

Edited by Nino, 06 February 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#66 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,943 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:27 AM

Ok so here is my rebuttal and again sorry for posting info that I didn't double check.

2008 did not make playoffs and I could not find his save % for the last six games but the nucks gave up 4.16 goals per game and Lou played all six.
.882 2009 vs Chicago
.896 2010 vs Chicago.
.832 2011 vs Boston

In 2008 we missed the playoffs by 9 points so the last six games had little importance but stats are there none the less and shows how he finished the year.

The point I was trying to make and is still valid is that although he is a great goalie most of the time he is known for falling apart in the playoffs and the stats back it up. You can make any reasoning as to why he falls apart but the point is it happens every year. Save % under .86 and we are not going to win.

So basically...when a team loses a playoff series...their stats are bad?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#67 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

More playoff wins than any active goalie other than Brodeur, Fleury, and Khabibulin.

The thread should end after that post. I'm not even gonna stress myself protecting Luongo because people that hate him won't change their minds.
Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#68 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

So basically...when a team loses a playoff series...their stats are bad?

You can look at it any way you want but the way I look at it is if the goalie is not making the saves your chance of winning is low. Although a small sample size Cory's % is great in the losses and he did give them a chance to win. Goaltending is the most important position in hockey and teams live or die with there goalie, Lou has not cut it in series we were eliminated in.

#69 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

You can look at it any way you want but the way I look at it is if the goalie is not making the saves your chance of winning is low. Although a small sample size Cory's % is great in the losses and he did give them a chance to win. Goaltending is the most important position in hockey and teams live or die with there goalie, Lou has not cut it in series we were eliminated in.

Stop looking at his stats n % ffs... watch the games. When the team needs a big stop luongo is ALWAYS there. There isn't a goalie in the league that does that better than Luongo. (I obviously haven't watched every other goalie play hundreds of games for their team... I just can't believe anyone makes more timely saves than luongo does for us)

If the team scored ZERO goals wtfdoes it matter if we lose 8-0 or 3-0 ... a loss is a loss. When a team can't score they lose.

Edited by apollo, 06 February 2013 - 11:59 AM.

Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#70 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:20 PM

Posted Image

It does because you trade him for someone who can score. Plus he only won half a Jennings trophy

Edited by mbal23, 06 February 2013 - 12:21 PM.

#71 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

Couldn't agree more.. It seems as tho everyone had forgot why we are getting rid of Lou and keeping Cory.. He falters in the playoffs every year, at some point, an it costs us.. Of course he will play well in the reg season but he can't get it done in the playoffs.. Time to trade Lou and I've Cory the starts... If mg can't get this done, then I'm gonna start questions his ability as a gm

Cory is 1-3 in the playoffs. Looks like he can't get it done either
Posted Image

#72 monza

monza

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Stop looking at his stats n % ffs... watch the games. When the team needs a big stop luongo is ALWAYS there. There isn't a goalie in the league that does that better than Luongo. (I obviously haven't watched every other goalie play hundreds of games for their team... I just can't believe anyone makes more timely saves than luongo does for us)

If the team scored ZERO goals wtfdoes it matter if we lose 8-0 or 3-0 ... a loss is a loss. When a team can't score they lose.

Big saves lol? Go watch the first goal of game 7 against Boston. When Boston got the lead in that series they did not lose and played much different. That first goal was a bullet lol?

#73 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

To me stats don't mean too much because all I can remember was Tim Thomas and jonathon quick seemed to outplay luongo when it mattered the most. And I'd pick Lu over them to be on my team any time of the day.

#74 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

So easy to put high scoring games on the goalie. Especially as time goes on, people just look at how many goals were given up and assume it was all the goalies fault. I remember how absolutely atrocious the entire team played in those games, essentially hanging Luongo out to dry. The amount of odd man rushes given up was just ridiculous.

If Luongo doesn't put up two 1-0 shutouts against Boston we are lucky to even see a game 5.

How about his unbelievable performance in game 7 against Chicago?

Luongo has won more elimination games in his pro career than he has lost...The dude has a gold medal in a game that went to OT for crying out loud.

28 other starting goalies didn't win the Stanley Cup either each year. Guess they are all chokers!

Don't get me wrong, he could have made more saves at times. However, it would have been irrelevant against Boston since the team couldn't score any goals! How can you possibly put the Stanley Cup loss on him when the team scored 3 goals in the 4 losing games? lol...

The only elimination game i'll say Lu probably cost us was the 7-5 loss vs Chicago.

Edited by Airjasper, 06 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#75 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

To me stats don't mean too much because all I can remember was Tim Thomas and jonathon quick seemed to outplay luongo when it mattered the most. And I'd pick Lu over them to be on my team any time of the day.

#76 gocanucks1916

gocanucks1916

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Good eye's beer&meat and DeNiro

.882 2009 vs Chicago
.896 2010 vs Chicago.
.832 2011 vs Boston

This doesn't really make any sense though. Unless you win the cup, your last 6 games will always include at least 4 losses. So yeah, when you lose, your stats tend to be mediocre. What insight does that bring us, really? If useful at all, we at least need to be comparing these numbers against other goalies in that same situation.

Edited by gocanucks1916, 06 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#77 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,472 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Big saves lol? Go watch the first goal of game 7 against Boston. When Boston got the lead in that series they did not lose and played much different. That first goal was a bullet lol?

He made two big saves at the start of the game including a goal line stand against kreijci

I've watched the game at least three times sober. Luongo wasn't the reason we lost. He's made a living of making clutch timely saves.

Also take a look at the videos marks Alexander Cody posted at the top of this page. The guy is freaking clutch. That's all there is to it
There isn't a single other goalie in the NHL that would be better for the canucks. Lundqvist maybe but he makes 1.5 more than Luongo

Edited by apollo, 06 February 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Posted Image

Thank you Roberto =(

#78 gocanucks1916

gocanucks1916

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

For those in the "Luongo chokes in the big game" camp, I dug up an interesting stat. I think performance in Game 7's is generally a good measure of how well a goalie plays when it's all on the line.

Luongo has played 3. Dallas ('07), Chicago ('11) and Boston ('11).

His stats in those 3 games?

2-1, 1.62 GAA, .931 SV%

Small sample size, but not too shabby.

#79 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

I just wish we would trade him so he doesn't have to put up with such a crappy fan base. He deserves better.

Guy has the best playoff win percentage in Canucks history and we blame him for every loss. He holds almost every record in net for the franchise and it was achieved because of the team but when the team craps the bed then the stats are his to take. Plain ridiculous.

#80 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:37 PM

Well it does make sense because I'm pretty sure that the point of trading him is to get better offence... No?

2 Art Ross winners in back to back seasons and they can't score in the playoffs. Yeah, let's trade the goalie that kept us in it so someone else can't score.
Posted Image

#81 cabinessence

cabinessence

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:42 PM

Luongo has played incredibly in parts of teh playoffs but has melted down. Yes, it is a team game, but there does come a point when he seems to come undone.

He played brilliantly against Anaheim in 2007 then lost focus on the series winner.

He got shelled against Chicago 3 straight seasons in the playoffs. yes he played great in game 7 in 2010 but why couldn't he stop the last minute goal that forced overtime? Yes, it's a team game but he still didn't close the deal in the third period. The same can be said about the Olympic gol medal final.

How many last minute goals does this guy give up? Please don't see this as attack, but answer the question.

Although Schneider has a shorter resume than Lu, I haven't seen him have the large meltdowns as had Luongo.

I think Luongo can be the better goalie of the two, but has shown to be less steady.
Posted Imagecabinessence, on 06 February 2014 - 06:43 PM, said:

I have a feeling they will score on the power play...cue bass solo!!
I called it!! I called it!!! Cue more bass solos!!!!!

#82 TheDugg1er

TheDugg1er

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

Not a big save. Not at all.
Watch the end too. He looks like a beached whale hahaha

http://thepuckdoctor...edible-ot-save/

Edited by TheDugg1er, 06 February 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#83 TheDugg1er

TheDugg1er

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Luongo has played incredibly in parts of teh playoffs but has melted down. Yes, it is a team game, but there does come a point when he seems to come undone.

He played brilliantly against Anaheim in 2007 then lost focus on the series winner.

He got shelled against Chicago 3 straight seasons in the playoffs. yes he played great in game 7 in 2010 but why couldn't he stop the last minute goal that forced overtime? Yes, it's a team game but he still didn't close the deal in the third period. The same can be said about the Olympic gol medal final.

How many last minute goals does this guy give up? Please don't see this as attack, but answer the question.

Although Schneider has a shorter resume than Lu, I haven't seen him have the large meltdowns as had Luongo.

I think Luongo can be the better goalie of the two, but has shown to be less steady.

To be fair, that should have been an elbowing penalty on Rob Niedermayer. Though as we all are well aware, when the playoffs come around the refs give us the short end of the stick.

You're right though, Luo shouldn't have looked at the ref to see if there was a call. Cost us the series :'(

Edited by TheDugg1er, 06 February 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#84 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

lol if that first goal in game 7 was the difference you're just confirming how pathetic our offense was if a 1-0 lead for Boston means the game is pretty much over

#85 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I just wish we would trade him so he doesn't have to put up with such a crappy fan base. He deserves better.

Guy has the best playoff win percentage in Canucks history and we blame him for every loss. He holds almost every record in net for the franchise and it was achieved because of the team but when the team craps the bed then the stats are his to take. Plain ridiculous.

I agree, the Canucks are going to face one hell of a crap storm if Cory can't bat them away like Lu.

I've always said this offensive D of ours hides behind Lu and when he shows up ..........95% of the time they swagger but if we put anyone less between the pipes they are going to know the wrath of Vancouver big time.

And so will the offence, because the only way that D will compensate for a goalie finding his way is to stay back and let the offence do what they get paid for without the D compensating for their shortfall.

Watch this space.
Kevin.jpg

#86 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,268 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

True, but he got lit up for all the games in Boston

He did, but did we light any games up? No. We played crappy in almost every game there, and then 1 goal in Van which Luongo had to get shut outs Don't trade.
Posted Image

#87 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

While I don't believe Luongo is entirely at fault for us losing the Boston series, or previous Chicago series, his unpredictability is what has always concerned me. Our offense was brutal against Boston, there is no denying that. Perhaps it was that bad because our team was deflated by untimely goals... Or maybe Luongo was deflated by our inability to score. Who really knows. Could go either way, or maybe it was a combination of the two - or maybe it was neither.

The thing specifically about Luongo is the patterns that develop with his inconsistency. You almost know a bad game is brewing when we show up in Chicago or Boston with him in net. It shouldn't be like that. If we get blown out, we should move on. But Luongo has shown signs that he can't move on..... And that problem is compounded by the fact that the opposing teams fans, and very likely the opposing team, recognize that as well. I've never seen a goalie specifically targeted so brutally like Luongo is in Chicago in Boston. And honestly, I can't even blame the guy. That would throw me off on a normal day, let alone an elimination playoff game.

So I do worry that he'll have another "off night" in the playoffs. And I worry even more so that when he does, we won't be able to recover because we all know what pattern is developing.

#88 hf44

hf44

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:54 PM

To be fair, that should have been an elbowing penalty on Rob Niedermayer. Though as we all are well aware, when the playoffs come around the refs give us the short end of the stick.

You're right though, Luo shouldn't have looked at the ref to see if there was a call. Cost us the series :'(

I beleive the Canucks lost the series in 5 games, so no he didn't cost us! the series. :canucks:

#89 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

I beleive the Canucks lost the series in 5 games, so no he didn't cost us! the series. :canucks:

yeah we lost in 5, 3 of the games went to OT including 2 double OT's. It really could have gone either way most of the games were tight and Luongo was a big part of why those games were so close

#90 CanucksJay

CanucksJay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:56 PM

Luongo seems different this year. Maybe being replaced in the playoffs and losing his number 1 status was what did it but he definitely looks mentally stronger this year. I think maybe he was too focused on winning and put way too much pressure on himself the past 3-4 seasons and he just decided the heck with it, I'm just going to play my best and not worry about anything else.

Whatever it is, it seems to be working.

2 reasons why I think he is different this year and it may be worth holding onto him for the playoffs

1) He was always a slow starter but this year, it seems like he came in looking to just playing his game and not worrying about everything else around him. (He said himself that he is going to treat this situation like the Olympics when he came in behind Brodeur. We all know how that worked out for Canada)

2) He looks comfortable in shootouts. He's not getting jedi mindtricked by the shooters. He looks confident and poised.

That being said, this could all fall apart in the playoffs but I believe with the changes we've seen in his game, he deserves 1 more shot.

That being said, if an incredible offer comes in for him, we should still trade him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.