The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With Luongo, i thought it was not about the regular season

Ashmon

Luongo has played incredibly in parts of teh playoffs but has melted down. Yes, it is a team game, but there does come a point when he seems to come undone.

He played brilliantly against Anaheim in 2007 then lost focus on the series winner.

He got shelled against Chicago 3 straight seasons in the playoffs. yes he played great in game 7 in 2010 but why couldn't he stop the last minute goal that forced overtime? Yes, it's a team game but he still didn't close the deal in the third period. The same can be said about the Olympic gol medal final.

How many last minute goals does this guy give up? Please don't see this as attack, but answer the question.

Although Schneider has a shorter resume than Lu, I haven't seen him have the large meltdowns as had Luongo.

I think Luongo can be the better goalie of the two, but has shown to be less steady.

Luongo has played incredibly in parts of teh playoffs but has melted down. Yes, it is a team game, but there does come a point when he seems to come undone.

He played brilliantly against Anaheim in 2007 then lost focus on the series winner.

He got shelled against Chicago 3 straight seasons in the playoffs. yes he played great in game 7 in 2010 but why couldn't he stop the last minute goal that forced overtime? Yes, it's a team game but he still didn't close the deal in the third period. The same can be said about the Olympic gol medal final.

How many last minute goals does this guy give up? Please don't see this as attack, but answer the question.

Although Schneider has a shorter resume than Lu, I haven't seen him have the large meltdowns as had Luongo.

I think Luongo can be the better goalie of the two, but has shown to be less steady.

I just wish we would trade him so he doesn't have to put up with such a crappy fan base. He deserves better.

Guy has the best playoff win percentage in Canucks history and we blame him for every loss. He holds almost every record in net for the franchise and it was achieved because of the team but when the team craps the bed then the stats are his to take. Plain ridiculous.

While I don't believe Luongo is entirely at fault for us losing the Boston series, or previous Chicago series, his unpredictability is what has always concerned me. Our offense was brutal against Boston, there is no denying that. Perhaps it was that bad because our team was deflated by untimely goals... Or maybe Luongo was deflated by our inability to score. Who really knows. Could go either way, or maybe it was a combination of the two - or maybe it was neither.

The thing specifically about Luongo is the patterns that develop with his inconsistency. You almost know a bad game is brewing when we show up in Chicago or Boston with him in net. It shouldn't be like that. If we get blown out, we should move on. But Luongo has shown signs that he can't move on..... And that problem is compounded by the fact that the opposing teams fans, and very likely the opposing team, recognize that as well. I've never seen a goalie specifically targeted so brutally like Luongo is in Chicago in Boston. And honestly, I can't even blame the guy. That would throw me off on a normal day, let alone an elimination playoff game.

So I do worry that he'll have another "off night" in the playoffs. And I worry even more so that when he does, we won't be able to recover because we all know what pattern is developing.

To be fair, that should have been an elbowing penalty on Rob Niedermayer. Though as we all are well aware, when the playoffs come around the refs give us the short end of the stick.

You're right though, Luo shouldn't have looked at the ref to see if there was a call. Cost us the series :'(

Luongo seems different this year. Maybe being replaced in the playoffs and losing his number 1 status was what did it but he definitely looks mentally stronger this year. I think maybe he was too focused on winning and put way too much pressure on himself the past 3-4 seasons and he just decided the heck with it, I'm just going to play my best and not worry about anything else.

Whatever it is, it seems to be working.

2 reasons why I think he is different this year and it may be worth holding onto him for the playoffs

1) He was always a slow starter but this year, it seems like he came in looking to just playing his game and not worrying about everything else around him. (He said himself that he is going to treat this situation like the Olympics when he came in behind Brodeur. We all know how that worked out for Canada)

2) He looks comfortable in shootouts. He's not getting jedi mindtricked by the shooters. He looks confident and poised.

That being said, this could all fall apart in the playoffs but I believe with the changes we've seen in his game, he deserves 1 more shot.

That being said, if an incredible offer comes in for him, we should still trade him.

You can look at it any way you want but the way I look at it is if the goalie is not making the saves your chance of winning is low. Although a small sample size Cory's % is great in the losses and he did give them a chance to win. Goaltending is the most important position in hockey and teams live or die with there goalie, Lou has not cut it in series we were eliminated in.

I absolutely understand what you're saying and agree with your method to come up with your opinion however I'm saying you're not taking it far enough.

Henrik Sedin

2011-12 2 goals (last 5 games)

2010-12 1 goal (last 6 games)

2009-10 2 goals (last 6 games)

2008-09 3 goals (last 6 games)

Danial Sedin

2011-12 0 goals (last 2 games) I wouldn't actually count this because he's coming back from an injury.

2010-12 1 goal (last 6 games)

2009-10 1 goals (last 6 games)

2008-09 2 goals (last 6 games)

These guys are supposed to be this teams offense.

Ryan Kesler

2011-12 0 goals (last 5 games)

2010-12 0 goal (last 6 games)

2009-10 0 goals (last 6 games)

2008-09 2 goals (last 6 games)

I'm starting to see a trend here.

Alex Burrows

2011-12 1 goals (last 5 games)

2010-12 2 goal (last 6 games)

2009-10 2 goals (last 6 games)

2008-09 0 goals (last 6 games)

Why does the "assist" guy have the most goals of these four guys?

See you're not wrong you just didn't go far enough which is why (in my opinion) your off on playing the blame game and putting it all on one player. These are 4 of our top 6 forwards and they have 19 goals in 92 playoff games.

If a goalie has to face 5+ point blank scoring chances EVERY GAME.... There is no way that he will save them all every single night. What people need to understand is that there is a point where making big save after big save doesn't actually help the team anymore... Even in the 8-1 game vs Boston, it was what, 0-0, 1-0 after the first period? Luongo had already faced more quality scoring chances than we had shots, and one person can't do everything.

let's not sink to Nino's level here and use the stats from the last 6 games of each playoff year in arguments....

He shouldn't even dissect the game this way in the first place.... the last 6 games will always be bad on almost any players on any non cup winning team because if the stats are good enough, they would have won...

let's not sink to Nino's level here and use the stats from the last 6 games of each playoff year in arguments....

He shouldn't even dissect the game this way in the first place.... the last 6 games will always be bad on almost any players on any non cup winning team because if the stats are good enough, they would have won...

you are picking the game where the canucks exit the playoff as "evidence" on how bad Luongo is. But you never look at how Luongo perform when the team wins.

This is call Cherry picking data. Somehow, you think those games the team won weren't important and are easy games, so the performance in those games are useless.

care to explain, face to face, how the hell did the team get to game 7 in the SCF series after being outscore ... let me calculate for you, 8:23

in case if you manage to overlook this again, i will make the numbers bigger for you.

8 to 23

the canucks had managed to get to game 7, and tied the series TWICE, despite being outscored THREE TIMES.

Please, tell me how did the team get to game 7 without Luongo?

He is not inconsistent. He is not a playoff choke. It is called having to face too many point-blank scoring chances every game.

Why are there so many highlight-reel Luongo saves on Youtube that are from the playoffs? To reword that question, why was Luongo forced into making these incredible saves so often during the playoffs?

If the team gives up several high quality scoring chances a game, the likelihood of ANY goaltender making all or most of those stops is next to none. The sheer number of times Luongo was able to keep us in the game/series should have been more than enough reason to prove that he plays perfectly fine in the playoffs.

Other than his supposed meltdowns which are results of the team conceding millions of odd-man rushes and giveaways and Luongo being a human, what signs does he give that he suddenly gets scared come April?

He plays the same way, acts the same way, still makes epic saves, if it weren't for the crowd actually making noise in the playoffs, I would not be able to tell the difference between a playoff game and a regular season game if I were to just look at Luongo. If I was looking at the forwards, then it's very easy...

Calling Luongo inconsistent or a choke in the playoffs is just as ridiculous as calling our forwards pylons because none of them score every time they shoot. Too bad that Luongo has made more game-changing saves than all of our forwards scored game-changing goals combined.

P.S. Don't try and say Quick or Thomas was able to do so, because Vancouver couldn't create a scoring chance to save their lives. Sure, we outshot Boston in the SCF, but if 90% of those shots are all from the perimeter and into the logo, I could go in and backstop the Bruins to a similar result. Oh, and both Quick and Thomas had consistent defense and an offense that actually created chances too.

Probably isn't the best motivation to play your heart out when you know you will face 82 games' worth of scoring chances in 16 and know that the only way to win is to post a 0.00 GAA and a 1.00Sv %. And in the SCF, we don't even know how long we would have to play game 7 to win, assuming Luongo is guaranteed to post those numbers.

Edit:

Seems like your bragging about Luongo getting scored on 20 times in roughly 368 minutes. Congratulations!

Archived