201 replies to this topic

#121 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:25 AM

all true....except...Schneider came in, playing for the same underachieving team and gave up 3 goals in 3 games in regulation time....and gave the team a chance to win. Lou gave up 7 goals, 3 of which were stinkers !

Doesn't matter, a loss is a loss, you don't get extra points because you only lost by one goal.
I don't ride with the band, I roll with the team.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#122 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:27 AM

How about this one people... Tim Thomas won the Stanley Cup, end of story. There was no beating him that series, every game including the losses he played lights out. It was a performance for the ages and no matter who the team of all time was facing the Bruins, they would have won.

#123 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:28 AM

How about this one people... Tim Thomas won the Stanley Cup, end of story. There was no beating him that series, every game including the losses he played lights out. It was a performance for the ages and no matter who the team of all time was facing the Bruins, they would have won.

I'm not sure how this contributes to the debate......but OK.

I've been a Canuck fan since 2004-05 when the team was going through a huge transition phase, missed the playoffs

#124 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thomas didn't need to be good really. I mean he looked great and played very well but he was hardly against the top talent in the league at the time. Bruins beat the Canucks which is all that really matter. BUt none of our top players were our top players. Injuries was a part of that (a big part imo) but at a certain point the team just seemed to shut down almost every game starting in game 3.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#125 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

This is the problem with you and ALOT of others who frequent the CDC, most fo the time "your" opinions are not your own, you hear something on the street or from the media or on another board and you run with it, even if there is no fact in it at all.
You can check all the stats you want but you have proven that you are either a new fan (because any longtime fan would have known we didn't make the playoffs in 07-08) or you're just a fair weather fan (You are only a fan when things are going good).

To me you come across not as a hockey fan but more of a gossip queen, just an observation.
Maybe you should take some time and actually watch some hockey, who knows you may just like it.

To say my opinions are not my own is compleatly not true, because I pulled a stat that someone posted to back up MY opinion ?

Here is what we all have to accept... Louongo is a great goalie that can at times play poor. I have my opinions you have yours, as much as you and I have tried to change the others opinions it not going to happen and it's a never ending argument that even after Lou is traded still will not end.

I could care less about your love for Lou and I'm sure you feel the same about my dislike for him so I think it's time to let it die.

Enjoy your day.

#126 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,851 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

Luongo has a history of losing multiple key games singlehandedly.Tough to go into a series not sure whether your goalie will play like an NHLer or a Pee wee.

This.

This is nothing new or relevatory - Luongo has played well every regular season. However, when it's mattered most, he's had a full blown meltdown at the end of every year since 2006-07.

2007-08 - Last 6 games: 4.59 GAA, 0.837 Sv%
2008-09 - Last 6 games: 3.31 GAA, 0.879 Sv%
2009-10 - Last 6 games: 3.52 GAA, 0.897 Sv%
2010-11 - Last 6 games: 4.12 GAA, 0.864 Sv%

He can singlehandedly win you a playoff game or even a series. However, he breaks every year, and he falls apart, and singlehandedly loses you multiple games.
Posted Image

#127 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Thomas didn't need to be good really. I mean he looked great and played very well but he was hardly against the top talent in the league at the time. Bruins beat the Canucks which is all that really matter. BUt none of our top players were our top players. Injuries was a part of that (a big part imo) but at a certain point the team just seemed to shut down almost every game starting in game 3.

Thomas set a record for saves in a final and was awarded the MVP. Give him credit and the nucks a little credit that they were indeed trying to score on him.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#128 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

To say my opinions are not my own is compleatly not true, because I pulled a stat that someone posted to back up MY opinion ?

Here is what we all have to accept... Louongo is a great goalie that can at times play poor. I have my opinions you have yours, as much as you and I have tried to change the others opinions it not going to happen and it's a never ending argument that even after Lou is traded still will not end.

I could care less about your love for Lou and I'm sure you feel the same about my dislike for him so I think it's time to let it die.

Enjoy your day.

That is where you're wrong young grasshopper, because I couldn't care less about your opinions of Luongo. I don't have a "love" for Luongo, I support my team as a team and nothing more. My arguement to you and alot of other Luongo haters is that a major portion of your hate stems from misinformation or just plain ignorance.
When you try and sell your opinion as fact and back it with false information you look rediculous and this isn't the first time I've seen you do it.
The most common from you and many others is "He lost us the SCF series" yet there are so many other variables that contributed to the loss.
You are completely entitled to your opinion (no matter how dumb it makes you appear) but don't try and pass it off as fact because there are some smart people on this board and they will call you out on it.

#129 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Every goalie has shortcomings, to say he is easily read is a stupid statement, if Luongo was easily read he wouldn't be an elite goaltender.
Please name me a veteran goalie that has not had a bad game, playoffs or regular season, I don't care.

Shortcomongs and tendencies are not one and the same. Lou is working more on a hybrid style, meaning , not dropping into the butterfly. The penalty shot the other night was a prime example. The shooter expected Lou to drop but he didn't. The save he made looked easy because he fooled the shooter. Book on Lou is that he goes down. Comentators were surprised by the fact that he stayed up. The different look confused the shooter. Had he gone down, shooter probably would have scored...over the leg and under the blocker. Teams shoot on Lou from every angle because he can be slow getting set and his 5 hole is still an issue. To say that all goalies can have a bad game is a given but the key is to make the scorers beat you..and not beat yourself. Schneider got beat last night by a slapper from position "A"....he did not beat himself...he was there...it was just a great shot. Goals are not always counted against by numbers but how they are scored and why.

#130 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,851 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

Thomas was the first goaltender to win the Stanley Cup, Vezina, and Conn Smythe trophies in the same season since Bernie Parent in 7475.

Also, that playoff run, he set the NHL record for most saves by a goaltender in a playoff run (798), and most saves by a goaltender in the Stanley Cup finals (238).

He was freakin' outstanding. Don't sell him short.
Posted Image

#131 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

Guys this is really simple. I didn't say he wasn't great I said he didn't Have to be great against the canucks.

Two entirely different things.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#132 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

This.

This is nothing new or relevatory - Luongo has played well every regular season. However, when it's mattered most, he's had a full blown meltdown at the end of every year since 2006-07.

how many times are you Luongo trolls going to use this small cross section of stats as your only argument lol

Schneider had a GAA of 3.13 and a save % of .897 after 4 games this year, that small an amount of games is pretty meaningless. Just like Lu with his current GAA of 1.53 and save % of .940, I doubt they would stay that good over the course of a full season

Edited by Primus099, 08 February 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#133 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,494 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:35 PM

He has a history of a .916 save percentage and 2.51gaa in the playoffs, this is a myth that has been debunked. He may not be the BEST playoff performer, but his numbers are still very good.

you're using statistics to blind yourself from the harsh reality that luongo, in the big games, would disappear entirely
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#134 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:55 PM

you're using statistics to blind yourself from the harsh reality that luongo, in the big games, would disappear entirely

:blink: :picard: :blink: :picard: :lol:

#135 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 07:57 PM

game 7 vs chicago, game 7 vs dallas, gold medal game....?

and game 4 against L.A the first time we played them he made some MONSTER saves and kept us in it including stoning Frolov on a breakaway when they were up 3-2, if they go up 4-2 there we lose the game and go down 3-1 in the series and most likely go out first round

Edited by Primus099, 08 February 2013 - 07:59 PM.

#136 beer&meat

beer&meat

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:20 PM

Shortcomongs and tendencies are not one and the same. Lou is working more on a hybrid style, meaning , not dropping into the butterfly.

Every goalie has tendencies / shortcomings, same or different. Study any goaltender in any league and you will find flaws.

The penalty shot the other night was a prime example. The shooter expected Lou to drop but he didn't. The save he made looked easy because he fooled the shooter. Book on Lou is that he goes down. Comentators were surprised by the fact that he stayed up. The different look confused the shooter.

This sounds like a good thing, correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like Luongo continues to evolve.

Had he gone down, shooter probably would have scored...over the leg and under the blocker.

Basing your opinion of someone on a probably is kind of childish IMO. Do you hate him because he makes more money than you too?

Teams shoot on Lou from every angle because he can be slow getting set and his 5 hole is still an issue. To say that all goalies can have a bad game is a given but the key is to make the scorers beat you..and not beat yourself.

Moot point, every goalie takes shots from every angle (kind of the point to hockey...score on the goalie) and all of them have been beaten 5 hole on more than one occasion.

Schneider got beat last night by a slapper from position "A"....he did not beat himself...he was there...it was just a great shot.

Don't get me wrong Ginger played good lastnight, he didn't see a ton of action but he deffinitly seen some quality action. I thought the goal was a little soft, with the traffic at the far post Schnieder should not have left any room on the short side.

#137 smurf47

smurf47

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:50 PM

Every goalie has tendencies / shortcomings, same or different. Study any goaltender in any league and you will find flaws.

This sounds like a good thing, correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like Luongo continues to evolve.

Basing your opinion of someone on a probably is kind of childish IMO. Do you hate him because he makes more money than you too?

Moot point, every goalie takes shots from every angle (kind of the point to hockey...score on the goalie) and all of them have been beaten 5 hole on more than one occasion.

Don't get me wrong Ginger played good lastnight, he didn't see a ton of action but he deffinitly seen some quality action. I thought the goal was a little soft, with the traffic at the far post Schnieder should not have left any room on the short side. Ok Yes I believe Lou is working on improving his game and shortcomings as he worked all summer with Allaire. Shots over the pad...and under the blocker ARE great scoring shots with high probability of success on butterfly goalie whether is was Lou or not. Players shoot to high probability areas on purpose. Teams shoot on LOU from all angles again for previously stated reasons and The goal on Schneider was anything but soft...a great slap shot from the hash marks...no reaction time for that shot..inside the post. Something tells me you lack just a bit of knowledge...too much beer and boloney?

#138 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Don't get me wrong Ginger played good lastnight, he didn't see a ton of action but he deffinitly seen some quality action. I thought the goal was a little soft, with the traffic at the far post Schnieder should not have left any room on the short side.

If you consider that a soft goal then we must assume that you consider just about every goal Lui let in during the finals to be soft then correct?

#139 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:37 PM

How quickly we forget.

We can beat the dead horse and say that the Nucks lost the SCF because Thomas was lights out and our fwd's were so injured they couldn't score a goal, but what excuse can be used when the Nucks scored 4-5 goals and still lost the game? Lu has a history of playing well in the reg season and choking in the playoff's. Why is this year going to be any different?

#140 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

The factors that caused the Canucks to lose to Boston(The Cup)

Main Factors:
Of equal importance
- Lack of scoring, but at the same time Thomas was good.
- Poor Goaltending...too many weak goals and yes the defense was not at their best.

Secondary Factors:
- The Canucks were too banged up to perform at their best and too many key players out with injuries.
- I hate writing this, but the change in refereeing from the regular season to the playoffs played perfectly into Boston's style of hockey.

Regardless of team play Lou has shown a pattern of being inconsistent in the playoffs, although his overall numbers are excellent. The team has also shown that they struggle to score in the playoffs.

It looks like at the end of last year the management did not want to see if Luo would continue to be inconsistent and therefore starting looking for teams to trade with. This could solve both problems; add scoring in a Luo trade and see if Luo stays inconsistent in the playoffs on another team.

Yes it is a risk and a number of things could go wrong in dealing Luo, but no more risky than keeping him and hoping he is consistent in the playoffs for the first time in his career. Yes it could be argued that Cory could get the added scoring needed in a trade, and this could be all Luo needs to stay consistent( knowing he can let a couple in and not have to stop them all for the team to win at times.)

#141 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

How quickly we forget.

We can beat the dead horse and say that the Nucks lost the SCF because Thomas was lights out and our fwd's were so injured they couldn't score a goal, but what excuse can be used when the Nucks scored 4-5 goals and still lost the game? Lu has a history of playing well in the reg season and choking in the playoff's. Why is this year going to be any different?

when other than in 2 out of those 3 examples you posted has that ever happened in the playoffs with Luongo? sure as hell didn't happen in the finals, if you get shutout 5-0 then it's not on the goalie, if you lose 7-5 then yes the goalie blew it.

Edited by Primus099, 08 February 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#142 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,418 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:59 PM

Shortcomongs and tendencies are not one and the same. Lou is working more on a hybrid style, meaning , not dropping into the butterfly. The penalty shot the other night was a prime example. The shooter expected Lou to drop but he didn't. The save he made looked easy because he fooled the shooter. Book on Lou is that he goes down. Comentators were surprised by the fact that he stayed up. The different look confused the shooter. Had he gone down, shooter probably would have scored...over the leg and under the blocker. Teams shoot on Lou from every angle because he can be slow getting set and his 5 hole is still an issue. To say that all goalies can have a bad game is a given but the key is to make the scorers beat you..and not beat yourself. Schneider got beat last night by a slapper from position "A"....he did not beat himself...he was there...it was just a great shot. Goals are not always counted against by numbers but how they are scored and why.

So is this a No to the "is their a possibility you could be wrong" question?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#143 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

Maybe Luongo can be the John Elway of the NHL. Widely considered a choker after getting blown out ( and i mean seriously blown out, like 55-10 blown out ) of 3 superbowls. he went on to win back to back rings. After that, legend.

Edited by CanucksSayEh, 08 February 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#144 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

This thread is pathetic. Here's the bottom line - No other single position is more important in the game than goal tending. Players crash the net during the playoffs - one injury to the number one goalie can sink a team like a lead balloon.

We've seen strong goaltending tandums take their teams far in the past:

Andy Moog & Grant Fuhr
Hasek & Belfour
John Vanbiesbrouck & Mike Richter
Tim Thomas & Tuukka Rask

Yes we're paying $9M for two goalies, but we can get away with it this year. It's a short season. We have a team that has the potential to go all the way right now. We'd be foolish to tinker with the most important position until the offseason. We should keep both Luongo and Schneider. Enough perpetuating media myths and folklore.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#145 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:14 AM

This thread is pathetic. Here's the bottom line - No other single position is more important in the game than goal tending. Players crash the net during the playoffs - one injury to the number one goalie can sink a team like a lead balloon.

Andy Moog & Grant Fuhr
Hasek & Belfour
Tim Thomas & Tuukka Rask

Yes we're paying $9M for two goalies, but we can get away with it this year. It's a short season. We have a team that has the potential to go all the way right now. We'd be foolish to tinker with the most important position until the offseason. We should keep both Luongo and Schneider. Enough perpetuating media myths and folklore.

By the same token you are wasting 4 to 5 million dollors on the side line, when a player/s could be on the ice every game helping the team win. We know that team depth in all positions is important in the playoffs. We could have used an extra player or two last year.

#146 CptCanuck16

CptCanuck16

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:32 AM

when other than in 2 out of those 3 examples you posted has that ever happened in the playoffs with Luongo? sure as hell didn't happen in the finals, if you get shutout 5-0 then it's not on the goalie, if you lose 7-5 then yes the goalie blew it.

The third example is Lu letting in 4 goals in the first period. I would consider that as the goalie 'blowing it' for his team as well.

#147 Ugli Fruit

Ugli Fruit

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:43 AM

How would it have been over the leg and under the blocker? It hit his blocker when he was standing.

And to be honest... I don't like his goaltending style ever since '08. If you watch Luongo play in 06-07, he was an extremely aggressive and, well, flamboyant goaltender. He'd be three feet out of his crease to face shots, and he'd be scrambling around everywhere making stops. IMO he plays best with a sense of urgency, and playing aggressive definitely gives that feel.

I don't think he is "too old" to go back to that style. Look at Hasek. It's not like Luongo needs to run a mile every time he makes a save or something.

I also think playing aggressively will play to his advantage, as cutting away shooting angles will work well for him. He does not have great reflexes, and he never did. He sees the puck well and is a smart goaltender, but his reflexes aren't all too great (except for his glove hand).

Formerly known as LordofBrussels

There we have it folks, we have literally blamed everyone for everything at this point

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#148 Papayas

Papayas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,594 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:24 AM

This.

He can singlehandedly win you a playoff game or even a series. However, he breaks every year, and he falls apart, and singlehandedly loses you multiple games.

didn't someone on page 2 already shown that the stats are wrong? ffs Luongo didn't even play in a playoff in 2008.

I don't know who is more stupid, the guy who invest these numbers, the guy who used these numbers, or the guy who used these number after someone told him they are fake.

#149 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:28 AM

Andy Moog & Grant Fuhr
Hasek & Belfour
Tim Thomas & Tuukka Rask

lol Grant Fuhr won cups because his team carried him, not the other way around. Look at the Oilers team he was playing on, if he let in 5 they would go down and score 6 or 7. He won cups some years with a GAA over 3, i know it was a different era but still.

#150 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,920 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 02:32 AM

I didn't even read this, just curious who's playing in net today against Calgary!

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.