The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

With Luongo, i thought it was not about the regular season

Ashmon

How about this one people... Tim Thomas won the Stanley Cup, end of story. There was no beating him that series, every game including the losses he played lights out. It was a performance for the ages and no matter who the team of all time was facing the Bruins, they would have won.

This is the problem with you and ALOT of others who frequent the CDC, most fo the time "your" opinions are not your own, you hear something on the street or from the media or on another board and you run with it, even if there is no fact in it at all.

You can check all the stats you want but you have proven that you are either a new fan (because any longtime fan would have known we didn't make the playoffs in 07-08) or you're just a fair weather fan (You are only a fan when things are going good).

To me you come across not as a hockey fan but more of a gossip queen, just an observation.

Maybe you should take some time and actually watch some hockey, who knows you may just like it.

Thomas didn't need to be good really. I mean he looked great and played very well but he was hardly against the top talent in the league at the time. Bruins beat the Canucks which is all that really matter. BUt none of our top players were our top players. Injuries was a part of that (a big part imo) but at a certain point the team just seemed to shut down almost every game starting in game 3.

To say my opinions are not my own is compleatly not true, because I pulled a stat that someone posted to back up MY opinion ?

Here is what we all have to accept... Louongo is a great goalie that can at times play poor. I have my opinions you have yours, as much as you and I have tried to change the others opinions it not going to happen and it's a never ending argument that even after Lou is traded still will not end.

I could care less about your love for Lou and I'm sure you feel the same about my dislike for him so I think it's time to let it die.

Enjoy your day.

Thomas didn't need to be good really. I mean he looked great and played very well but he was hardly against the top talent in the league at the time. Bruins beat the Canucks which is all that really matter. BUt none of our top players were our top players. Injuries was a part of that (a big part imo) but at a certain point the team just seemed to shut down almost every game starting in game 3.

This.

This is nothing new or relevatory - Luongo has played well every regular season. However, when it's mattered most, he's had a full blown meltdown at the end of every year since 2006-07.

2007-08 - Last 6 games: 4.59 GAA, 0.837 Sv%

2008-09 - Last 6 games: 3.31 GAA, 0.879 Sv%

2009-10 - Last 6 games: 3.52 GAA, 0.897 Sv%

2010-11 - Last 6 games: 4.12 GAA, 0.864 Sv%

Every goalie has tendencies / shortcomings, same or different. Study any goaltender in any league and you will find flaws.

This sounds like a good thing, correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like Luongo continues to evolve.

Basing your opinion of someone on a probably is kind of childish IMO. Do you hate him because he makes more money than you too?

Moot point, every goalie takes shots from every angle (kind of the point to hockey...score on the goalie) and all of them have been beaten 5 hole on more than one occasion.

Don't get me wrong Ginger played good lastnight, he didn't see a ton of action but he deffinitly seen some quality action. I thought the goal was a little soft, with the traffic at the far post Schnieder should not have left any room on the short side. Ok Yes I believe Lou is working on improving his game and shortcomings as he worked all summer with Allaire. Shots over the pad...and under the blocker ARE great scoring shots with high probability of success on butterfly goalie whether is was Lou or not. Players shoot to high probability areas on purpose. Teams shoot on LOU from all angles again for previously stated reasons and The goal on Schneider was anything but soft...a great slap shot from the hash marks...no reaction time for that shot..inside the post. Something tells me you lack just a bit of knowledge...too much beer and boloney?

How quickly we forget.

We can beat the dead horse and say that the Nucks lost the SCF because Thomas was lights out and our fwd's were so injured they couldn't score a goal, but what excuse can be used when the Nucks scored 4-5 goals and still lost the game? Lu has a history of playing well in the reg season and choking in the playoff's. Why is this year going to be any different?

The factors that caused the Canucks to lose to Boston(The Cup)

Main Factors:

Of equal importance

- Lack of scoring, but at the same time Thomas was good.

- Poor Goaltending...too many weak goals and yes the defense was not at their best.

Secondary Factors:

- The Canucks were too banged up to perform at their best and too many key players out with injuries.

- I hate writing this, but the change in refereeing from the regular season to the playoffs played perfectly into Boston's style of hockey.

Regardless of team play Lou has shown a pattern of being inconsistent in the playoffs, although his overall numbers are excellent. The team has also shown that they struggle to score in the playoffs.

It looks like at the end of last year the management did not want to see if Luo would continue to be inconsistent and therefore starting looking for teams to trade with. This could solve both problems; add scoring in a Luo trade and see if Luo stays inconsistent in the playoffs on another team.

Yes it is a risk and a number of things could go wrong in dealing Luo, but no more risky than keeping him and hoping he is consistent in the playoffs for the first time in his career. Yes it could be argued that Cory could get the added scoring needed in a trade, and this could be all Luo needs to stay consistent( knowing he can let a couple in and not have to stop them all for the team to win at times.)

Archived