201 replies to this topic

#181 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:04 AM

Getting to game 7 is not winning the cup sir !

Thank you.
So many posters on this forum seem to view reaching game 7 of the SCF and getting blown out on our home ice as some great accomplishment. It's not, especially since all we had to do to win the cup was not lose 4 of the last 5 games.
Getting to game 7 in 1994 was an accomplishment, in 2011 it was a disaster.

#182 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

Ya, how dare our 5.3 million cap hit goalie didn't score for us when we need it the most?

Totally unacceptable!

It's not Luongo's job to put pucks in the net, it's his job to keep them out and he didn't do a good enough job of that in 4 of the 7 games in the 2011 SCF. Not to mention a few other series against Chicago.

#183 Ryan Murray

Ryan Murray

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Why doesn't Luongo just start scoring? LOL people against him, you can't have a goalie with a weak team, and expect him to shut the door on the Bruins the whole series.

SCF- Did Luongo melt down, or just the team? Let's find out how Luongo must play for the Canucks to win every game.

Game 1- Luongo must get a shut-out of 36 shots

Game 2- Luongo must allow just 2 goals for 60 min+ (Assuming Canucks score in OT)

Game 3- Luongo must get a shutout

Game 4- Luongo must get a shutout for 60 min+ (Assuming Canucks score in OT)

Game 5- Luongo must get a shutout

Game 6- Luongo must let in 1 goal or less

Game 7- Luongo must get a shutoutfor 60 min+ (Assuming Canucks score in OT)

Edited by Ryan Murray, 10 February 2013 - 08:42 AM.

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#184 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:51 AM

It's not Luongo's job to put pucks in the net, it's his job to keep them out and he didn't do a good enough job of that in 4 of the 7 games in the 2011 SCF. Not to mention a few other series against Chicago.

Canucks had no business even being in game 7 of the finals. Boston should've won in 4 or 5. In the 3 games we won Luongo only allowed 2 goals and two of those games were shutouts. In the 4 games they lost Canucks scored a measly 3 goals combined. Luongo won 2 arguably 3 games for the team when they had no business winning. How many games did the team win for him when he wasn't great?..... Answer: zero

If Luongo had gotten a shutout in game 7 he most likely takes home the conn smythe but because we lost its all his fault.

#185 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

Canucks had no business even being in game 7 of the finals. Boston should've won in 4 or 5. In the 3 games we won Luongo only allowed 2 goals and two of those games were shutouts. In the 4 games they lost Canucks scored a measly 3 goals combined. Luongo won 2 arguably 3 games for the team when they had no business winning. How many games did the team win for him when he wasn't great?..... Answer: zero

If Luongo had gotten a shutout in game 7 he most likely takes home the conn smythe but because we lost its all his fault.

At the end of the day, who cares? Canucks management obviously thinks Schneider is the better choice moving forward so why aren't you phoning and emailing Gillis and crying to him about Lui? Newsflash.... at some point your hero will be traded, get over it.

#186 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

"Should". "When".

A couple of things - and don't get me wrong, I'm ok with however this turns out and feel we're lucky to have this "problem".

Just because a goaltender has struggled in the playoffs doesn't mean he always will. There have been some great goaltenders who have had less than great performances, but we demand perfection?

Goaltenders can't be "on" all the time and it's all about timing in the playoffs. I'd hate to imagine Lu's playoff redemption coming while playing on a different team.

I hear you Deb. And we are lucky to have this "problem". The thing for me is that I was at this point at the beginning of last years playoffs. In spite of Schneider's better numbers in the season, AV went with Lu to start. I was uneasy with it, because of the three previous playoffs. But I was willing to allow Lu yet another shot. He still deserved to start IMO at the time. But for me that was the last chance. After 2 home losses to start with a .359 GA and .891 SP, sorry, that was the last straw.

Yes, we didn't have Kesler at 100%, we traded away one of our top scorers at the deadline, and the team was still in shock from Daniel being knocked out, but to me, that's when Lu HAD to shine. To carry us through that first round until Daniel was up to speed. He was being paid the kind of money to do that role. Scoring was a weak link, but when goaltending is added as another weak link we didn't have a chance.

I would hate to see Lu winning the Cup on another team as well, and it is a risk to give up on him. But it's a bigger risk to give him yet another chance. Could it be that he's playing so well and relaxed now because he knows there's no pressure to prove himself or fight for his job anymore? I would think he's more professional than that, but I just can't trust him again. It wasn't so much allowing a fluke goal, it was his mental strength after that happened. He seemed to be kicking himself mentally in the minutes after and so wasn't focused for the next flurry, which would result in another goal......and then another....

He can have a huge ego, especially when he first came in here and thats not a bad thing especially for a goaltender. But it seems like it was so huge that when a weak goal is let in, its almost as if he is so astounded and shocked that he could let in such a goal that it throws his whole confidence out. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how it looks. If Lu was starting again for us in the playoffs, I don't think my nerves could take it, especially if he let in the first goal.

4 bad games at the beginning of a season are pretty meaningless. 4 bad games at the end of a season are a different thing entirely.

It hasn't just been once, or twice, or three times - Luongo has had a meltdown every year since 2006-07. It's been a consistent pattern. Denying it is plain ignorance.

^ this ^

Its time to move on and Ride the Schneid!

30rw2li.jpg   ..................... Put Gino in the Ring of Honour!  .......................  2hg788l.jpg

#187 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

At the end of the day, who cares? Canucks management obviously thinks Schneider is the better choice moving forward so why aren't you phoning and emailing Gillis and crying to him about Lui? Newsflash.... at some point your hero will be traded, get over it.

I'm not arguing with their decision and I think Cory is a great goalie too. Just don't get how anyone with any shred of hockey knowledge can say Luongo is solely to blame for not winning the cup

#188 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

"Any color you like" is a song from the album. I got where you were going; I was just playing off of it. B)

Wow!

Well done!

I've been exposed as just a very casual Floyd fan.

You're a good sort eotm.

Edited by riffraff, 10 February 2013 - 06:49 PM.

Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#189 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,710 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:01 PM

Too many trolling Flames/Leafs fan in this forum.

#190 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:17 PM

This argument fails to recognize that when your team is banged up, and your goalie completely s**ts the bed early, and you're down a few goals to the hottest goalie in hockey, you don't pour every last drop of your soul into the rest of that game. You still try, but deep down you need to save something for next game, when you actually have a chance.

Of course, game 7 is different, but by that point, there was nothing left in the tank.
Posted Image

#191 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

This argument fails to recognize that when your team is banged up, and your goalie completely s**ts the bed early, and you're down a few goals to the hottest goalie in hockey, you don't pour every last drop of your soul into the rest of that game. You still try, but deep down you need to save something for next game, when you actually have a chance.

No you do what the Canucks did best led by AV, when down by a couple goals you give up and end up getting blown out. Didn't anyone notice that when the canucks got down by a couple goals AV would panic and start double shifting and triple shifting the Sedins? And all they would do is make low percentage plays causing turnover after turnover leading to an insane amount of odd man rushes and before you knew it canucks were down by 4 or 5 goals. And I'm not just talking about the finals.

Even in the finals canucks had to score first and then the game plan was to sit on a 1-0 lead and hope your goalie can stop everything because we really will have trouble scoring another goal. Only chance canucks had in the finals was to score that first goal and hang on. Once Boston got the first one that self doubt set in and you knew the game was over and the cup was lost.

#192 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:53 PM

No you do what the Canucks did best led by AV, when down by a couple goals you give up and end up getting blown out. Didn't anyone notice that when the canucks got down by a couple goals AV would panic and start double shifting and triple shifting the Sedins? And all they would do is make low percentage plays causing turnover after turnover leading to an insane amount of odd man rushes and before you knew it canucks were down by 4 or 5 goals. And I'm not just talking about the finals.

Even in the finals canucks had to score first and then the game plan was to sit on a 1-0 lead and hope your goalie can stop everything because we really will have trouble scoring another goal. Only chance canucks had in the finals was to score that first goal and hang on. Once Boston got the first one that self doubt set in and you knew the game was over and the cup was lost.

#193 Canucklehead420

Canucklehead420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Your right, I pulled this from another user last week and didn't double check it after checking it I can see that's its wrong. I apologize for posting something I didn't double check.

I double checked the Boston series and his save % was .832 for the last six games (even lower) then the info I pulled from the other member. I will update the compleat post with information I can verify in the morrning.

I had no intention of trying to mislead anyone and i should have double checked but I'm betting the save % I calculate will not be pretty.

even thats not accuate. his sv pct was .863 in the last six games. it conviently leaves out one of his shutouts. include game 1 a 36 save shut out its .891 considering the coach and defence hung him out to dry its quite an amazing feat.

Edited by Canucklehead420, 10 February 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#194 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:27 AM

Double-shifting your best offensive players when you're down? Perish the thought!

It's not like the 2nd line was completely ineffective due to a disabled Kesler, or anything...
Posted Image

#195 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:15 AM

even thats not accuate. his sv pct was .863 in the last six games. it conviently leaves out one of his shutouts. include game 1 a 36 save shut out its .891 considering the coach and defence hung him out to dry its quite an amazing feat.

I pulled the info wiki using the save % for each of the last six added it up and divided it by six. Don't know how it could be wrong id bet your wrong. I'm not double checking it at this point as I could care less, you do it if its an issue to you.

Lou can play some amazing games we all know that you can get off your soap box.

#196 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

I pulled the info wiki using the save % for each of the last six added it up and divided it by six.  Don't know how it could be wrong id bet your wrong. I'm not double checking it at this point as I could care less, you do it if its an issue to you.

Lou can play some amazing games we all know that you can get off your soap box.

Adding up save percentage and GAA across multiple games, then dividing, is not a good representation. Different games have different numbers of shots. Goaltenders do not necessarily play all 60 minutes. Etc, etc...

If you want the true save percentage for multiple, add up the total saves for all the games, and then divide that by the total shots.

True GAA is a little tougher. You need to add up minutes played, then divide by 60 to get the exact number of "games". Then divide that by the total number of goals allowed.
Posted Image

#197 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Adding up save percentage and GAA across multiple games, then dividing, is not a good representation. Different games have different numbers of shots. Goaltenders do not necessarily play all 60 minutes. Etc, etc...

If you want the true save percentage for multiple, add up the total saves for all the games, and then divide that by the total shots.

True GAA is a little tougher. You need to add up minutes played, then divide by 60 to get the exact number of "games". Then divide that by the total number of goals allowed.

No I pulled Lou's save % for each game not the teams so it should be good.

#198 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

No I pulled Lou's save % for each game not the teams so it should be good.

You don't understand. Each game has a different number of shots, so you can't add the save percentages together.

If a goalie posts a 40-shot shutout (save%: 1.000), and lets in 2 goals on 20 shots in the next (save%: .900), his save percentage for the two games is NOT .950.

It is 58 saves divided by 60 shots, for a save percentage of .967.
Posted Image

#199 shazzam

shazzam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,469 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:30 AM

what is going on? math 101?

#200 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:29 PM

You don't understand. Each game has a different number of shots, so you can't add the save percentages together.

If a goalie posts a 40-shot shutout (save%: 1.000), and lets in 2 goals on 20 shots in the next (save%: .900), his save percentage for the two games is NOT .950.

It is 58 saves divided by 60 shots, for a save percentage of .967.

Ok I get it, thanks.

#201 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Yep.
I get so sick of people saying "Lou can't skate down the ice and score goals", when several of the games were well out of reach by the middle of the 2nd period. Yes, the team didn't score goals, but they would have had to score dozens of goals to win that series, as the usually-stellar Luongo get absolutely shelled.
I respect his ability as a goal-tender. What I have little faith in is his mental toughness, even though he slayed the Chicago dragon, he ultimately shat all over the bed in the boston series, despite some otherwise brilliant play.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#202 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Double-shifting your best offensive players when you're down? Perish the thought!

It's not like the 2nd line was completely ineffective due to a disabled Kesler, or anything...

Double shifting and triple shifting two players who are ineffective in the playoffs and wildly unpredictable defensively has been hazardous on many occasions for this team. But do they get any blame? No. It's all Luongo's fault

Edited by rkoshack, 11 February 2013 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.