Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

[CONCERN] Cody Hodgson has more points than any other player on the Canucks this season..so far

Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
116 replies to this topic

#61 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:58 AM

Hodgson is going to be one of the best players in the league. Many here won't like it, but that's the plain truth. Eventually it will go down as one of the worst trades. And get used to it because we still talk about the Neely trade. I was extremely disappointed we ditched Hodgson and I don't buy the rumours/crap people post about that here. Cody didn't fit into the current team gameplan/culture and got moved for someone who did. But Cody IS the better player.

Just sayin.

wrong Hodgson is soft and slow........he end up in Europe in 5 years

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#62 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:09 AM

Trevor16: The Hodgson Hater that should end up back in school for five years.

#63 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:11 AM

LOL. Not sure if serious...In 5 years Hodgson will be a good 2nd liner at least. More than likely he'll be a first line star.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#64 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

Holy crap the amount of hate Hodgson has from this fanbase..

Hodgson isn't a player that sucks. Him and Kassian have different elements to their games. Stop comparing him with Kassian and saying that Kassian is better because he brings physicality and concussed Ben Eager. That is not a fair and legitimate comparison. Hodgson doesn't fight. He doesn't hit. You people bringing this up saying Kassian is better doesn't mean that he is better. It just means that Kassian has the size and playing style to be able to do so. Hodgson is more focused on the offensive skill side. He is a playmaker, sniper, and has incredible hockey vision and IQ. His offensive awareness is unmatched and cannot be taught. That is the difference. Hodgson is known for offence. He is suppose to bring offence. Not hitting. Not fighting.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#65 roland

roland

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

I think many of us will agree that winning is all that matters. Sedin's got their scoring titles, Canuck's got the presidents trophy, been there, done that. Let's get a cup now, that's our main focus. Couldn't care less about any scoring titles or statistics

#66 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hodgson is playing on a line with Vanek who is absolutely on fire with 19 points. He's riding his hotstreak

/thread

#67 Samuel Påhlsson

Samuel Påhlsson

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:14 AM

I smell a multi.

SYvE9NH.gif

#68 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:19 AM

He wanted to play here,just not under a goof ball.
Hodgson is in the top 20 scoring of all NHL skaters.
He is averaging 45% in the circle against NHL first line centermen.
I listened to Doug MacLean(ex GM of CBJ) on the TEAM and he said that Hodgson is doing great.
Nice to see a former Canuck do so well.

Nice to see we agree AV is a goof ball.

Cody has benefited big time from Vanek. And from watching him he is a turnover machine defensively. He just doesn't have the defensive instincts to be "One of the best in the league" as SE said and his offensive skill though high isn't high enough to make up for it.

zackass.png

#69 Stick-in-Rink

Stick-in-Rink

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,528 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:29 AM

Can't we all just accept that this trade worked out for both teams?

Kassian brings an element to this team we haven't seen since...well Bertuzzi. Suddenly we're fighting more often and the Sedins are even checking. I'm not saying its directly because of his game, but this wasn't there last year. I'd rather this team have someone who can be consistent in all aspects rather than one aspect. We've strongly needed this kind of player and we acquired him.

I'm not going to deny the fact that I was upset when we traded Hodgson but it looks like it will work out for both teams. Vancouver and Buffalo both got what they wanted.

#70 spentral

spentral

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:34 AM

two words: apples and oranges (trying to keep constant with the OP's math)

i was a big hodgson fan. still am, wish him the best. also a kassian fan, wish him the best. i have no real concerns right now other than the canucks keep winning.

#71 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,236 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Holy crap the amount of hate Hodgson has from this fanbase..

Hodgson isn't a player that sucks. Him and Kassian have different elements to their games. Stop comparing him with Kassian and saying that Kassian is better because he brings physicality and concussed Ben Eager. That is not a fair and legitimate comparison. Hodgson doesn't fight. He doesn't hit. You people bringing this up saying Kassian is better doesn't mean that he is better. It just means that Kassian has the size and playing style to be able to do so. Hodgson is more focused on the offensive skill side. He is a playmaker, sniper, and has incredible hockey vision and IQ. His offensive awareness is unmatched and cannot be taught. That is the difference. Hodgson is known for offence. He is suppose to bring offence. Not hitting. Not fighting.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This trade is the definition of a hockey trade, and one that has worked.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#72 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,385 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:44 AM

Cody Hodgson also has more points then Alexander Ovechkin, Jonathan Toews, more goals then Malkin, twice as many points as Cory Perry. He is 1 point behind Crosby.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#73 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:51 AM

Hodgson is playing on a line with Vanek who is absolutely on fire with 19 points. He's riding his hotstreak

/thread

That still takes actual ability and skill to put up the numbers Cody is. You couldn't just slot in a plug with Vanek and expect the same results. Would it be too much to say that Cody is partially responsible for Vanek's success thus far? I wouldn't say no. Vanek at no time in his career has been as hot as he is now.
Posted Image

#74 LegionOfDoom

LegionOfDoom

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:54 AM

He's also a negative

#75 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,190 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

One of the best in the league? That's pretty funny.

The fact that he only has 4 more points in one more game than Kassian, isn't that impressive. He is a year older, and supposed to be the superior offensive player after all. He's also playing with the league's leading scorer.

Kassian brings more to the table than Hodgson. Sorry if you can't come to terms with that. But being a better player, doesn't mean scoring 4 more points. It means playing at both ends of the rink, playing physical, and sticking up for teammates. Those are all aspects of being a good player.

That's certainly debatable. We've already seen Hodgson thrive without the Sedins. Can the same be said for Kassian? Until Kassian can show that he isn't a product of the twins, I'm inclined to say that Hodgson is the better player. Of course there are other things to consider but until Kassian can demonstrate he can play a similar game, with similar offensive results, without the twins, I think Cody wins this argument.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 06 February 2013 - 02:03 AM.

Posted Image

#76 Pistachios

Pistachios

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

Stretching the truth just a tad aren't you OP?

G4fSut.gif

#77 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,704 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:07 AM

No one cares.

#78 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,196 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

That's certainly debatable. We've already seen Hodgson thrive without the Sedins. Can the same be said for Kassian? Until Kassian can show that he isn't a product of the twins, I'm inclined to say that Hodgson is the better player. Of course there are other things to consider but until Kassian can demonstrate he can play a similar game, with similar offensive results, without the twins, I think Cody wins this argument.

Same could be said the other way, Cody still needs to prove he isn't a product of Vanek and Pominville.

zackass.png

#79 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:14 AM

It is funny how people compare Kassian and Hodgson, they are 2 completely differen't players, and just because Kassian fights and racks up more penalty mins, he is the better player? What? So by this logic that would mean Kassian is the Canucks best player, and he is even better then the Sedins? :picard: The Sedins don't hit or fight so that means they suck like Hodgson and Kassian is the Canucks best player, yikes this team is doomed.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#80 murraycraven

murraycraven

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

So we switch them back. Do you think CoHo would have 10 points on this canucks line up beeing juggeled between the 2nd and 3rd line, playing with mayray, Hansen and occasionally as a winger because AV suddenly thinks Burrows is a center? Also, with CoHo on the roster, Schroeder plays in Chicago...

And vice versa, would Kassian have 5 goals on the Sabres line up? No, I don't think so

#81 darthryan

darthryan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

funny story the canucks lead their division buffalo is at the bottom of theirs. Just sayin :D
:towel: Posted Image :towel:

#82 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:29 AM

It is funny how people compare Kassian and Hodgson, they are 2 completely differen't players, and just because Kassian fights and racks up more penalty mins, he is the better player? What? So by this logic that would mean Kassian is the Canucks best player, and he is even better then the Sedins? :picard: The Sedins don't hit or fight so that means they suck like Hodgson and Kassian is the Canucks best player, yikes this team is doomed.

No, but if you can bring those elements, and score goals at about the same pace, then yes you are a better player.

Like I've said before, if Hodgson and Kassian both reach their potential, Kassian will be the more valuable player.

There's a reason why powerforward's are the most valuable commodities in the league. All you have to do is look at the last two cup wining teams to know that.

Edited by DeNiro, 06 February 2013 - 02:30 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#83 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:54 AM

No, but if you can bring those elements, and score goals at about the same pace, then yes you are a better player.

Like I've said before, if Hodgson and Kassian both reach their potential, Kassian will be the more valuable player.

There's a reason why powerforward's are the most valuable commodities in the league. All you have to do is look at the last two cup wining teams to know that.

I'm not going to argue with that, since it is a fact, and to why I always wished the Canucks trainers would of been able to put more pounds on the Sedins, to bulk them up a little especially in the Western Conference.

I personally still think Hodgson will still become the better player, because he will be more offensively productive which will help his team out a lot. Plus he won't be taking as many penalties because he doesn't play that type of role, which will help his team as well from being more short handed.

I don't think Kassian will be a bad player at all, he has good hockey sense, he can hit, and fight and play a power forward role. Personally if I had to chose between the 2, especially if I had my tougher grinder guys on my 3rd and 4th lines I would go after Hodgson for the offensive power, I want my team to score, especially for playoffs.

The reason why I didn't like this trade was because of the timing. This trade was supposedly going to help our team for a cup run, which clearly wasn't the case. Hodgson was exactly what this team needed going into the playoffs, a player who was able to generate scoring opportunities and get that secondary scoring, in which the Canucks lack come playoffs. All the Canucks needed to do was go after a Steve Ott type player for the playoffs and that was it, not make a move like that which just killed our secondary scoring, and especially when knowing your 2nd line center is injured and will most likely not have a chance at being our secondary scoring.

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#84 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

I don't think Kassian will be a bad player at all, he has good hockey sense, he can hit, and fight and play a power forward role. Personally if I had to chose between the 2, especially if I had my tougher grinder guys on my 3rd and 4th lines I would go after Hodgson for the offensive power, I want my team to score, especially for playoffs.

The reason why I didn't like this trade was because of the timing. This trade was supposedly going to help our team for a cup run, which clearly wasn't the case. Hodgson was exactly what this team needed going into the playoffs, a player who was able to generate scoring opportunities and get that secondary scoring, in which the Canucks lack come playoffs. All the Canucks needed to do was go after a Steve Ott type player for the playoffs and that was it, not make a move like that which just killed our secondary scoring, and especially when knowing your 2nd line center is injured and will most likely not have a chance at being our secondary scoring.

Well if we wanna keep winning President's trophies and be a high scoring team, sure we should have kept Hodgson.

If we wanna add pieces that will help us adapt our game in the playoffs, then Kassian is the clear choice.

How many times do we have to go into the playoffs with undersized skilled players before we realize that you can't win in the playoffs without size and grit?

Hodgson would not have made a difference for us, contrary to what some people may argue. Sure he may of scored a goal or two in that series, but that also comes with his lack of defensive play, which the big forwards on the kings would have feasted on. To think that a player who scored at a .5 ppg pace was all of a sudden going to carry this team through Kesler's injury is just silly.

No Daniel, lack of solid defensive play, and no clear number 1 goalie going into the playoffs is what killed this team. Trading Hodgson is just an excuse for people looking to blame something. The Kings were just a better team than us those playoffs, and they would have been with or without Hodgson. I make this trade every day of the week, because there's no guarantee Kassian would have been available later.

Edited by DeNiro, 06 February 2013 - 03:08 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#85 Mr. Logic

Mr. Logic

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:29 AM

As mentioned previously in this thread, Cody's point totals are most likely a result of Vanek playing extremely well.
And, as mentioned several times before, he just didn't fit in well with the Canucks. There were two proven and better centers in front of him.

And, as much as I liked Hodgson, he is slow and not at all physical (which was something the team was severely lacking) and he just didn't want to be in Vancouver. On top of that, Cody had a serious back injury (it doesn't matter whose fault it was or that it was misdiagnosed, just that it's true) which will most likely be a weak point for the rest of his career. I could easily see it being a serious issue later on. I just can't help but think that Cody will consistently battle with injuries due to his smallish size, previous injury, and lack of elusiveness.

#86 Fuzzysheep

Fuzzysheep

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

Hodgson is doing well in Buffalo points-wise because he is playing on the top line with two of the hottest forwards in the league.

If he was here he not be on 9 points, I can almost guarantee it. He's also playing 19 minutes a game (Kass is playing 16). Worryingly, despite Vanek being a plus 6, Coho is a -1. There are defensive frailties there and, while it might seem like we could do with him right now, when Kesler get's back there's no place for him in the lineup.
Odds are that ^ was sarcasm

#87 N.Irish Canuck

N.Irish Canuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:43 AM

He may be playing well personally and kudos for that but as a team player he doesnt have the defensive skills , as proven being -1 for the season despite his 10 pts. I liked hodgson for the offensive upside but his skating and work/team ethic always seemed to be lacking.

Good to see that after 9/10 games you are concerned that we are leading our division and yet we are off to our customary slow start. Good luck Viking , silly boy.

#88 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:45 AM

It's ironic how fan/supporters (you name it) of other teams seem to have taken over Canucks Chat.

I had already hated it (mainly after a loss) but now I pop in for five minutes and start bashing my head on the keyboard. Talk about a forum being ruined.
Posted Image

#89 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

Same could be said the other way, Cody still needs to prove he isn't a product of Vanek and Pominville.

He already proved that when he was here.. Getting 3rd line minutes playing alongside MayRay, Higgins, and Hansen. Yet he still produced 2nd line numbers..

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#90 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:17 AM

Why is this anything to be concerned about? Hodgson has game-winners over Toronto AND Boston. He plays for our expansion brothers, in a division with the eastern Canadian team and the Bruins. His enemies are our enemies. His successes are our successes. I for one am rooting for Hodgson, Ehrhoff, and Sulzer, they're like a Canucks sleeper cell in the east ready to carry out a hit at a moment's notice. Why would you hate them? Surely you're not still mad about Perrault?

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.