The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Still no hate for Cory Scheinder?

yete

Shnieder is a unproven goal tender what does he have 1 playoff win still like the guy though .luongo is a all-star and has always played very good here not his fault in playoffs against the Bs poor team effort but luongo is having a breakout year you can almost sence that when he is in the net this year something is different he is playing the best if seen him play its not Cory we hate its just that its all about winning games and playing luongo now is the right thing to do :towel::frantic::towel::towel:

Listen to the Team1040 podcast from this morning. They play a recorded interview with Liut who claims the Vancouver Sun took his comments out of context and didn't print his comments in chronological order. Instead, they were rearranged to portray the sensationalized story that the reporter desired. And at no time did he try to insinuate that he or Schneider wanted to be traded as the story of the title suggested and was clear in saying both he and Schneider understand and are ok with the current situation.

I got angry the last time I saw you post something like this. For that I apologize, getting angry over things said over the internet is pretty pathetic. Regardless- I strongly disagree with the sentiments you are expressing here. We could argue whether or not Luongo is a 'top-10 all time'. As much of a Luongo fan I've been over my life (since his days in Florida) there is a lot to consider beyond statistics when you make such claims. For all Bobby Lu's regular season success, despite consideration, he has never won a Vezina trophy- an accolade which is proof of a single goalie's dominance of that one season. Luongo has never, at least in voters' eyes, been the best goalie in the league over the course of one season.

But what I'd draw more attention to is the fact that he has never won a Stanley Cup in his career. The hallmark of an elite athlete at level of any sport is championship success. Brodeur, Roy, Hasek- they were all winners. Look at the NFL this season. If anyone called Joe Flacco elite before this postseason, it would elicit laughter from anyone, anywhere outside of Baltimore. But he had an amazing postseason campaign, tying the legendary Joe Montana's record of 11 playoff TDs without an interception, while leading his team to the Super Bowl, picking up MVP honors while he was at it- and propelling his name to that tier of elite quarterbacks. Roberto has never backstopped a team to a Stanley Cup. Regular season success not withstanding, he has never managed to take his game to the level needed to win a Cup- only once have his postseason stats eclipsed his regular season stats. He has been a fantastic goalie over his career, and will always have a place in my heart for what he has done for this organization. But hallowed his name is not, and should not be.

But in the eyes of many here in Vancouver, it is.

The only reason I've seen for keeping Roberto is the emotional attachment many have to him after his years spent here. While Luongo does have a few good seasons left in him, we also have a tendie entering the prime of his career, with a name to make for himself. Cory Schneider is knocking on the door of the leauge's elite, playing great in his first real shot at the NHL. His technical game is as solid as it comes. He is of the new school of goaltending- always square to the puck, absorbing shots and controlling rebounds. He went head to head with the Conn Smythe winner of the 2012 playoffs, keeping his team in the game the every time he started, despite it being outplayed by a bigger, stronger and faster team. LA had more firepower, and were just a fantastic team in 2012 that deserved to win. This is a goalie that has shown the mental fortitude to bounce back from bad goals and bad games. Schneids is on the upswing, and has plenty to give to the organization that developed him. Any team in the league would be happy to have him in their future, and I'm sure Mike Gillis and co. are happy knowing that he is in theirs.

TL;DR: Luongo has no major accomplishments with this team, Cory's time has come.

I can't believe that we are talking about this again, and in an other thread. One thing I will never understand about CDC is how some threads get locked while other (clearly identical topics) do not. What gives?

Having said that... to assume that Schneider did talk to his agent and had anything to do at all with him talking to the media about his ice time is down right idiocy. Get some evidence to back up your claims, or your opinion has no legs to stand on.

If you think that Schneids' attitude has changed from being a team player to the complete opposite overnight just because of a few games that Roberto has played extremely well for us and we've won, you need to think a little harder. And for anyone who might be asking for my evidence to back that claim up, well, look towards how he and Lou have handled this situation the entire last season and beyond. Both have been professional, just like the organization. They both understand the situation of a shortened season and that we need wins.

So if you are making the claim that Schneids has flip flopped his attitude like CoHo did, show your proof or bye bye.

Ferraro was on the Team 1040 and brought up some good points.

Ray who was sitting a few feet from him made a comment like. "Well I'm surprised to see you here". Cory laughed but Ray could see in his face he want's to play.

Cory is a professional, but if you asked his honest opinion, who would blame him for wanting to play? That's what you train your whole life for. If he some reason only played 10-20 games this year, that's a year off his career he will NEVER get back. Even if you're paid $4 million a season, you want to play.

It's a tough position having two world class players, but only one net. I don't think Cory is whining or anything. He just wants his chance. Management and Coaches know this but they have to balance team needs. I think both Roberto and Cory understand.

Ideally the sooner a trade is done the better. But you can't force a trade, because then you'll get jack in return.

Just my 2 cents.

First off, I'm pretty certain that when the stuff about Schneider's agent came out, it was him saying they hoped for more playing time. And now Luongo lovers have devolved that into "Schneider's a whiner." Come on.

It's ridiculous how so many people put certain players over the team. I saw so much unnecessary Luongo hate and praise for a rookie Schneider simultaneously during the Finals, and now we're seeing the reverse: Luongo's being called a top 10 goalie (debatably top 20 by the end of his career, yes. He has a long way to go to be top 10), and Schneider's all of a sudden a whiny flash in the pan.

How about you support both our goalies, and not give one ridiculous praise and the other absolute hate? This is why everybody hates Canucks fans, biggest idiots on the planet. I see people actually happy that one goalie is having a bad game and our team is losing points in the standings, just so they feel justified. Stupid.

Yeah, one of them's going to get traded. Probably not this season. But why not appreciate both of them? Give them credit where it's due, and let the season resolve who will be starter rather than your own warped brain.

I don't hate Schneider but he hasn't, doesn't and never will compare to Roberto Luongo in any sense of the game. Luongo is one of the classiest players in the NHL, has handled one of the toughest situations ever with such grace and is this city's saviour - Schneider will never be the same.

He should be proud he's being mentioned in the same sentence as Luongo now because no matter how great his career is, he will be hard pressed to end up a top-10 NHL goalie of all time like Roberto will be. This kid has a long way to go and a lot of luck to gain if he wants to be at Luongo's level ever.

It makes me laugh when people say Schnieder is unproven well was lou?, Was lou a proven goalie in his first years in florida. He was a rookie It took him a long time to gain his status in this league. From what I have seen from Cory he has had way better stats then lou did as a starter in florida then cory did as a backup when he actually played enough games, also to say cory hasnt played a big workload and cant handle the pressure is nuts. He played 60 games in the AHL what is the difference from that and the NHL they play 3 periods 20 minutes long at least they did the last time I looked so shut it. I truly think the team crapped the bed in the first game and didnt play good defense so stop blaming that game on cory this team is playing alot better now and I am sure cory if he plays in Minnisota will come out on top since we all know Lou craps the bed in that building. Yes lou is having a unbelievable season which I am proud of but please stop worshiping him like he is the messiah its sicking. This team wants to go younger and stronger and lou isnt going to fit that bill so stop holding on to a dream. I love both of these goalies if we have both all season then let it be they are the best duel on the ice and its a win win situation.

I don't hate Schneider but he hasn't, doesn't and never will compare to Roberto Luongo in any sense of the game. Luongo is one of the classiest players in the NHL, has handled one of the toughest situations ever with such grace and is this city's saviour - Schneider will never be the same.

He should be proud he's being mentioned in the same sentence as Luongo now because no matter how great his career is, he will be hard pressed to end up a top-10 NHL goalie of all time like Roberto will be. This kid has a long way to go and a lot of luck to gain if he wants to be at Luongo's level ever.

Archived