• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:02 AM

1. Youth
2. Dominance at the AHL level
3. Can play at the NHL level with potential to be a starter
4. Reasonable contract

(= better return)

I'd like to see something more specific. What exactly do you think you would get back for Schneider?

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#32 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:04 AM

As a die hard fan, I consider us all apart of the Canucks. Not the organization but the Canucks Community. So when myself or anyone else says "We" when referring to a managment decision, it is clear what context it is under.

And talent wise they are the same, Luongo is on a burst of momentum and confidence but Schneids should get the next start.

Right now there is no comparison.

Luongo:

- Olympic Gold medal
- 340+ Wins
- 60+ Shutouts
- 7 straight 30+ win seasons

Not to mention he is 3-0-2 out of the gate with a 1.53 GAA & .940 SV%

the-blacklist-poster-1.jpg

1190007304.png CDC STHS GM ||||| small.png CDCFL GM ||||| small.png EHL GM

#33 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:09 AM

Right now there is no comparison.

Luongo:

- Olympic Gold medal
- 340+ Wins
- 60+ Shutouts
- 7 straight 30+ win seasons

Not to mention he is 3-0-2 out of the gate with a 1.53 GAA & .940 SV%

I said talent. Not experience.

And yes Luongo is playing very well, he is riding a streak of momentum and confidence. Schneider had a rough 1st game but picked it up and played great infront of a team that was playing nowhere close to as well as it is now.

Just wait till Schneider gets his momentum going, it will be a huge "I told you so" for all the people like me who know Schneids is our guy moving forward.

zackass.png

#34 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

And yes Luongo is playing very well, he is riding a streak of momentum and confidence. Schneider had a rough 1st game but picked it up and played great infront of a team that was playing nowhere close to as well as it is now.

Just wait till Schneider gets his momentum going, it will be a huge "I told you so" for all the people like me who know Schneids is our guy moving forward.

Pretty sure talent and experience go hand in hand.

#35 The Bookie

The Bookie

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,579 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:13 AM

Yes because what this city needs is more reason to irrationally hate on a player.

#36 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

heres what i dont get canuck fans

here we have a guy who obviously told his agent to say this otherwise his agent had no right in saying this.....

And a guy named Luongo who actaully showed class in this situation

before you start to back up schiender and say no schiender had nothing to do with this statement give your head a shake..........

What scheinders agent did is class-less and what Gillis said is comical.........

ooo Cory knows how much faith we have in were just riding the hot hand this that........

First you'd have to prove the interview was initiated by Liut. If The Sun called Liut then Schneider had nothing at all to do with it. And the tone of the article certainly doesn't come across as Liut contacting the Sun to gripe. I'd say it's quite the opposite, The Sun contacted Liut. Corey has yet to say anything himself publicly that comes across as negative.

Btw, his agent has every right to answer questions when contacted about a clients situation. It's nothing more than his opinion. No different than the plethora of hockey analysts giving their opinion on the situation. Unlike the most of the analysts, Liut said he's not surprised Lou is still here.

how much more can Luongo take.......... just leave luongo demand a trade this organization shows you no respect........

Huh???

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#37 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:16 AM

Pretty sure talent and experience go hand in hand.

No I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Thats why Schroeder was on the 2nd/3rd line and Lappierre wasn't.

zackass.png

#38 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

I'd like to see something more specific. What exactly do you think you would get back for Schneider?

There is always a demand for a solid young goaltender with "elite" potential.

Currently there are maybe 2 of them out there that are available (Bernier, Schneider)

Schneider is a lot more appealing compared to Jonathan Bernier and for those reasons alone would demand a higher return.

In terms of a return, I could see something along these lines:

TO VAN - Kyle Okposo + Frans Nielsen + 2nd Round Pick

TO NYI - Cory Schneider (low pick or prospect could be added if need be)

#39 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:21 AM

No I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

Thats why Schroeder was on the 2nd/3rd line and Lappierre wasn't.

What does that have to do with anything? Lappy knows his role as a bottom 6 grinder.

#40 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:22 AM

Yes because what this city needs is more reason to irrationally hate on a player.

Yep. and you know its going to happen. The media knows it too. Which is why I hate the media in this city. None of them are even fans of the team. They'll take any chance they can to spin something negative about the Canucks. They're more in line with a tabloid newspaper, then they are with a respectable news outlet.

The casual fan will read something like this, think that Cory is whining about ice time, and turn on him like they turned on Luongo. Except now they'll all of a sudden love Luongo again. It's pathetic.

Whenever I'm in public and I here bandwagoners talking about the Canucks, I just wanna turn around and tell them to shut the hell up. There's so much ignorant and irrational views towards the Canucks in this city. And the majority of it is driven by the media.

Edited by DeNiro, 06 February 2013 - 02:26 AM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#41 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:23 AM

What does that have to do with anything? Lappy knows his role as a bottom 6 grinder.

You said experience walks hand in hand with talent, if that's the case Lappy would be playing ahead of Schroeder no? Considering he is more experianced and has played on the 2nd and 3rd lines before.

It comes down to talent not experience Schneider is young and just as talented as Lu is right now, he has a career to gain accomplishments.

zackass.png

#42 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,967 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:24 AM

I can't imagine what would happen if Lack came out of nowhere next season and outplayed Schneider.

Does that mean we will have to hate Schneider, and trade him?

People in this city are so ungrateful of these guys. It's like they don't realize without goalies of their calibre, we're not winning games, and likely struggling to even make the playoffs.

Sadly by the time fans in this city realize this, it will be too late. And Vancouver will once again be a goalie graveyard with no chance of winning the cup.

I'd honestly say if that happens and we win the Cup this year, trade Lack at the 2014 deadline and reload for another Cup run.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#43 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

heres what i dont get canuck fans

here we have a guy who obviously told his agent to say this otherwise his agent had no right in saying this.....

And a guy named Luongo who actaully showed class in this situation

before you start to back up schiender and say no schiender had nothing to do with this statement give your head a shake..........

What scheinders agent did is class-less and what Gillis said is comical.........

ooo Cory knows how much faith we have in were just riding the hot hand this that........

how much more can Luongo take.......... just leave luongo demand a trade this organization shows you no respect........

maybe you should give your head a shake. Never assume the agent is always speaking on behalf of the player because that is not true.

#44 Vancouver's comeback

Vancouver's comeback

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

I don't hate Schneider but he hasn't, doesn't and never will compare to Roberto Luongo in any sense of the game. Luongo is one of the classiest players in the NHL, has handled one of the toughest situations ever with such grace and is this city's saviour - Schneider will never be the same.

He should be proud he's being mentioned in the same sentence as Luongo now because no matter how great his career is, he will be hard pressed to end up a top-10 NHL goalie of all time like Roberto will be. This kid has a long way to go and a lot of luck to gain if he wants to be at Luongo's level ever.

I got angry the last time I saw you post something like this. For that I apologize, getting angry over things said over the internet is pretty pathetic. Regardless- I strongly disagree with the sentiments you are expressing here. We could argue whether or not Luongo is a 'top-10 all time'. As much of a Luongo fan I've been over my life (since his days in Florida) there is a lot to consider beyond statistics when you make such claims. For all Bobby Lu's regular season success, despite consideration, he has never won a Vezina trophy- an accolade which is proof of a single goalie's dominance of that one season. Luongo has never, at least in voters' eyes, been the best goalie in the league over the course of one season.

But what I'd draw more attention to is the fact that he has never won a Stanley Cup in his career. The hallmark of an elite athlete at level of any sport is championship success. Brodeur, Roy, Hasek- they were all winners. Look at the NFL this season. If anyone called Joe Flacco elite before this postseason, it would elicit laughter from anyone, anywhere outside of Baltimore. But he had an amazing postseason campaign, tying the legendary Joe Montana's record of 11 playoff TDs without an interception, while leading his team to the Super Bowl, picking up MVP honors while he was at it- and propelling his name to that tier of elite quarterbacks. Roberto has never backstopped a team to a Stanley Cup. Regular season success not withstanding, he has never managed to take his game to the level needed to win a Cup- only once have his postseason stats eclipsed his regular season stats. He has been a fantastic goalie over his career, and will always have a place in my heart for what he has done for this organization. But hallowed his name is not, and should not be.

But in the eyes of many here in Vancouver, it is.

The only reason I've seen for keeping Roberto is the emotional attachment many have to him after his years spent here. While Luongo does have a few good seasons left in him, we also have a tendie entering the prime of his career, with a name to make for himself. Cory Schneider is knocking on the door of the leauge's elite, playing great in his first real shot at the NHL. His technical game is as solid as it comes. He is of the new school of goaltending- always square to the puck, absorbing shots and controlling rebounds. He went head to head with the Conn Smythe winner of the 2012 playoffs, keeping his team in the game the every time he started, despite it being outplayed by a bigger, stronger and faster team. LA had more firepower, and were just a fantastic team in 2012 that deserved to win. This is a goalie that has shown the mental fortitude to bounce back from bad goals and bad games. Schneids is on the upswing, and has plenty to give to the organization that developed him. Any team in the league would be happy to have him in their future, and I'm sure Mike Gillis and co. are happy knowing that he is in theirs.

TL;DR: Luongo has no major accomplishments with this team, Cory's time has come.

Edited by bardown, 06 February 2013 - 02:35 AM.

#BOSTONSTRONG
Hit first, ask questions second
Posted Image

#45 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:27 AM

You said experience walks hand in hand with talent, if that's the case Lappy would be playing ahead of Schroeder no? Considering he is more experianced and has played on the 2nd and 3rd lines before.

It comes down to talent not experience Schneider is young and just as talented as Lu is right now, he has a career to gain accomplishments.

I think you are confusing talent and talent based on roles.

Lappy is talented... at throwing the body and chirping the other team.

.....Experience has helped him chirp better than others ;)

#46 pwnstar

pwnstar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:28 AM

I don't hate Schneider but he hasn't, doesn't and never will compare to Roberto Luongo in any sense of the game. Luongo is one of the classiest players in the NHL, has handled one of the toughest situations ever with such grace and is this city's saviour - Schneider will never be the same.

He should be proud he's being mentioned in the same sentence as Luongo now because no matter how great his career is, he will be hard pressed to end up a top-10 NHL goalie of all time like Roberto will be. This kid has a long way to go and a lot of luck to gain if he wants to be at Luongo's level ever.

Unless he wins a cup for van

Posted Image

#47 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

1. Youth
4. Reasonable contract

(= better return)

None of that beats a proven NHL commodity. Otherwise we would have gotten at least Vanek for Hodgson going by your criteria.

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#48 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,487 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:31 AM

I think you are confusing talent and talent based on roles.

Lappy is talented... at throwing the body and chirping the other team.

.....Experience has helped him chirp better than others ;)

I'm just saying, Lappy has shown he is capable of a 3rd line role and Schroeder took it over.

Anyways this is pointless, the original subject has been veered. lol

zackass.png

#49 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:39 AM

The Anti-Schneider bias on this board is just downright embarrassing.

But the anti-luongo bias is perfectly fine right?

#50 Primus099

Primus099

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:40 AM

maybe you should give your head a shake. Never assume the agent is always speaking on behalf of the player because that is not true.

then the agent should be fired

#51 thehun

thehun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

i agree, but that is not the way real life works.

#52 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:51 AM

1. Youth
4. Reasonable contract

(= better return)

I meant explain how an unproven goalie is going to get better return than an excellent and proven goalie...

#53 Disaronno

Disaronno

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:57 AM

I meant explain how an unproven goalie is going to get better return than an excellent and proven goalie...

Well considering Luongo's contract probably scares half the teams looking for a goaltender, the next best option would be Schneider.

#54 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,473 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:32 AM

I don't hate Schneider but he hasn't, doesn't and never will compare to Roberto Luongo in any sense of the game.

Because your magic 8 ball told you so???

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#55 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:42 AM

Oh yete.

Posted Image

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#56 Canuckid1990

Canuckid1990

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

What are you talking about? the team has still played just as bad in front of Luongo.... and I don't get it you would think Schneider would have been ready to go considering during the lockout he has been playing but no he has been pretty brutal so far this season and he really doesn't have an excuse, and if your going to say the team in front of him then you can give that same excuse to lou cause hes had the same team in front of him for awhile...

#57 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:40 AM

Kinda hard to hate on him. He only has 4 starts. One of them being a shutout.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#58 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,609 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:46 AM

Kinda hard to hate on him. He only has 4 starts. One of them being a shutout.

...another being a complete embarassment and blow-out. People blamed Luongo for being inconsistently good and bad last season, now the tables have completely turned - Schneider can't stay as consistent as he was last season while Luongo is yet to let in a really bad goal all season long.

A bit ironic, but anyone who was rooting for Schneider last season has to be rooting for Luongo this year. They have completely reversed roles, and if anything Lu is playing far better now than Schneider was last year. The Canucks have never seen goaltending like Luongo is putting up right now since he went with 3 shutouts in a row a couple of seasons in a row and it's scary to think how good he'll be this year.
Posted Image

#59 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:49 AM

But the anti-luongo bias is perfectly fine right?

This entire anti luongo bias is completely over blown by his fans that are obsessed with him. Yes he got boo'd by frustrated fans in the cup finals, no excuse for boo'ing, but some people were simply frustrated and upset.

Other then that he has won a gold medal for canada, he is respected and liked for that reason alone, he has a following of the most loyal obsessive fans i have ever came across, an incredibly popular fake twitter account. His fans get upset because not everyone treats him like a god that is about it. Its also clear to me when he came here he had full fan support, surely a few fans soured due to us not getting a cup. Cory has not had that luxury, some luongos fans have hated him the minute he threatened Lou's job by playing well.

The difference with cory is he faultered a game into the season. That is it and the hatred for him has reached beyond roberto levels already.

Now his character is being questioned today, he is being ripped apart everywhere, and if you venture outside of vc (I live in alberta now) and other parts of the net with other fans, you will see the support is 80 percent in favor for roberto.

Fans of other teams have claimed schneider flat out stinks and the canucks are stupid, they are claiming his agent was told by cory to say all this and they dont buy cory is not behind all these comments, i have seen blackhawk fans call us idiots for trading lou and using a backup like cory but would not want lou either, and some our own fans who worship roberto have disliked cory for some time, and seized an opporutnity and hacked cory for a bad opening day performance as bad if not worse then roberto got it after 3 years on the team and getting blown out in game 7. Tsn sportsnet are raving about roberto and how he handles this, not a word about cory.

If schneider gets half the chances and the amount of time to win us a cup like roberto did, it will be a blessing. It wont happen, he cant have a bad regular season game without an outpouring of hate, and he had enemies in our fanbase before he even started the season.

Lou was not always treated well after those playoff blow ups by frustrated fans, but imo cory is getting it much worse already after a single regular season game, he started 4 games this season and fan hatred is already scathing. He will never get anything close to the chances fans have already gave to luongo.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 06 February 2013 - 05:15 AM.

#60 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:52 AM

Why? Did people just read the tsn article? The full sun article was much more reasonable and he mentions needing to give the team time and space and acknowledges robertos track record as a proven great goalie.

None of that gets reported, they picked the controversial comments and selecitively posted those. Just like gillis comment about not caring about feelings, tsn did not care right before that gillis comment to team 1040 on how they just talked to corys agent yesterday and cory handled this like a pro and gillis himself is not concerned with this at all.

It seems media is trying to make this goalie controversy constantly bigger, and now our own fanbase is buying into these selective headlines.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 06 February 2013 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.