Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Winnipeg send Scheifele back to OHL (Barrie)

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

DarrenDreger
Jets announce Scheifele has been reassigned to Barrie Colts.

TSNBobMcKenzie
WPG returns Mark Scheifele to Barrie of the OHL.

He'd played 4 games so far but had 0 points, 6 shots and 4 hits. I can't say I saw him playing to know if he was effective or not, but the stats suggest he wasn't. I'm surprised as I thought it wouldn't be his play that kept him from sticking this year, but the Jets trying to keep one more year of his contract alive if anything.

Also from PHT:

In surprising news, the Winnipeg Jets have sent Mark Scheifele — their first-round pick, 7th overall at the 2011 Draft — back to his junior club in OHL Barrie.

It’s a newsworthy development on a number of fronts.

One, Scheifele made the Jets out of training camp and has been with the club for three weeks. While he’s only played in four games this year and therefore still eligible to be returned to junior, most NHL clubs made the decision to reassign their prospects a while ago (see here and here andhere).

Two, it makes you wonder what Winnipeg was waiting for.

Scheifele had been a healthy scratch on a number of occasions and wasn’t a major factor in the games he did play in, going scoreless in four contests while averaging just over 11 minutes a night.

But in his last game — Friday’s 8-3 loss to Tampa Bay — Scheifele played a career-high 16:47 and managed to finish with an even rating despite the fact Winnipeg allowed five even-strength goals (Blake Wheelerfinished minus-3 and played less than Scheifele.)

This marks the second time in as many seasons that the Jets have re-assigned Scheifele to junior.

In 2011-12, he appeared in seven games with the club before being sent back to Barrie, but was later called up to the AHL playoffs with the St. John’s IceCaps, playing in 10 games while notching one assist.

EDIT: Forgot the PHT link.

Edited by elvis15, 06 February 2013 - 11:43 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#2 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:47 AM

i watched him twice this year and the WJC, and i didnt think he looked ready. Good on the jets to send him back and let him develop properly.

#3 timberz21

timberz21

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Not surprise, I haven't been impressed by Scheifele at all in two WHJC. Can score against Germany and Latvia but no show in big games.

IMO Scheifele has been overhyped by TSN, eversince getting drafted surprisingly 7th overall when TSN had him ranked 12th.

#4 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:49 AM

Well, yeah, if you aren't gonna play him.

Another offseason of strength training will be good for him. It seems like playing half a year in junior and then the WJC was a bit too much for him before stepping right into the NHL.

Let him come to camp next year with more time to adjust, with the option if the AHL to boot, and I think he'll be at a pro level soon enough.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#5 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:52 AM

He wasn't bad, but he needs to hit the gyms and develop physically. Can't risk the future of the franchise's first ever draft pick.

#6 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,024 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:14 PM

Good move. He wasn't really being used properly. He was being put on the 4th line with Slater, so you couldn't really expect much output from him.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#7 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,745 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

Should have went with Sean Couturier.

#8 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:40 PM

#9 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:41 PM

IMO he shouldn't have even gotten his 5 games...

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#10 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,995 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:51 PM

Could you imagine if he was a Canucks prospect? We'd have 47 threads whining about how he's a bust because he's not a 19 year old kid coming into the league and scoring 50 goals but instead is being sent back to junior.
Posted Image

#11 Virt 'n Kass

Virt 'n Kass

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

*cough*couldahadCouturier*cough*

#12 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,713 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

He looked a lot bigger and faster this year.

Just needs one more season with Barrie to work on his balance and strength. Had a tendency of being knocked over easily.

And he had his chances offensively, just some nice saves by goalies and unable to cash in on his opportunities.

#13 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:34 PM

IMO he shouldn't have even gotten his 5 games...

He didn't get 5 games, only 4. I can see if you meant they should have sent him down right after camp, but just to be clear he didn't burn a year of his contract.

#14 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

I've never been high on this kid. Hopefully he doesn't bust.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#15 Blame Obama

Blame Obama

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

better than calgary's random pick

10f3wcl.jpg

sig made by: -Vintage Canuck-

#16 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

He didn't get 5 games, only 4. I can see if you meant they should have sent him down right after camp, but just to be clear he didn't burn a year of his contract.

Didn't he already play 7 last season?

That makes 11, is the max. not 9 anymore under the new CBA?

#17 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

He looked a lot bigger and faster this year.

Just needs one more season with Barrie to work on his balance and strength. Had a tendency of being knocked over easily.

And he had his chances offensively, just some nice saves by goalies and unable to cash in on his opportunities.

This. He definitely looked bigger and faster than last year, which is terrific. One more off-season and he should be able to step in next year and get the chance at 2nd line minutes. I believe the Jets signed Jokinen with this precisely in mind. Antropov will most likely be gone next season, allowing a more sturdy Scheifle to get the opportunity to take his place.But yeah, he lost his balance far too often. We'll see you next year.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#18 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

It's kind of a tough situation. The Jets are expected to be a borderline playoff team at best in a shortened season, so they can't really afford to take the risk of giving a rookie top 6 minutes like top or bottom teams can. In addition there was barely a training camp and no exhibition games so they didn't really have a chance to try him out with different players to see how he does, so they put him on the 4th line where he couldn't hurt the team and assessed him from there and obviously it's difficult to showcase your offensive abilities when your linemates are Thorburn and Slater.

This isn't a "is he or isn't he good enough" situation, it's a "the time isn't right" situation. There wasn't enough time to assess him, you don't want to put him in the top 6 in case he makes mistakes/brings down the effectiveness of his linemates and hurts the team's playoff chances in a shortened season, you don't want him playing bottom 6 rather than giving him top line minutes in the OHL because it could stunt his development, you don't want to burn off a year of his ELC for a shortened season. Come next year if the Jets let the likes of Miettenen/Antropov/Poni/Wellwood go there'll be a spot, but right now it just didn't make sense at all to keep him. Also there is no such thing as overdeveloping a player.

#19 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,835 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:08 PM

Didn't he already play 7 last season?

That makes 11, is the max. not 9 anymore under the new CBA?

It's games per year, so if he's sent down last year to allow his contract to slide, the games he played then don't count against this year for whether or not he can slide again. That only works until they hit 20, so Winnipeg won't be able to slide Scheifele's contract next year regardless of how many games he plays.

And with the lockout shortened season, they reduced the number of allowable games to 5 for this year, but it'll still be 9 as far as I know in a regular season.

Edited by elvis15, 06 February 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#20 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

How do you not go with the guy who was ranked #1 for like a year and a half before the final rankings when you're at #7 and he's still there

#21 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,007 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:56 PM

This guy annoys me for some reason, I think it was seeing him in so many damn commercials during the World Juniors and then that one game where he looked like Weise flopping all over the place and missing a big hit and going headfirst into the boards. :lol:

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#22 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

It's games per year, so if he's sent down last year to allow his contract to slide, the games he played then don't count against this year for whether or not he can slide again. That only works until they hit 20, so Winnipeg won't be able to slide Scheifele's contract next year regardless of how many games he plays.

And with the lockout shortened season, they reduced the number of allowable games to 5 for this year, but it'll still be 9 as far as I know in a regular season.

Thanks for the clarification!

#23 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,312 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Good for the Jets. It would be easy for a franchise like that to rush him to try and build excitement around the team.

They made the right choice though IMO.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.