46 replies to this topic

#1 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

Good read on Steve. I like Volpatti, will be nice for Canucks when Pinozotto gets his chance.

Steve Pinizzotto watched a fellow Rochester Institute of Technology alumnus score his first NHL goal on Monday night.

That would be Canucks defenceman Chris Tanev, who took 63 games to achieve the lofty feat, putting one off the post with seconds left in overtime in Edmonton.

It was a huge deal on the New York state schoolís campus on Tuesday, and just as big for Pinizzotto, whoís with the Canucksí Chicago Wolves AHL farm club.

ďHe was actually one of my best buddies when he was here (during the NHL lockout) and I wish nothing but the best for him,Ē said Pinizzotto over the phone from Chicago.

ďHeís just a great person. It couldnít happen to a better guy. To score your first goal in overtime, Iím pretty happy for him.Ē

Pinizzotto, who played at RIT for two seasons (2005-06 and 2006-07), but was never a teammate of Tanev (2009-10) with the Tigers, would like nothing better than to follow in his footsteps and become the second player from the school to get into an NHL game.

Due to injury, thatís been on hold for two seasons now, but Pinizzotto ó a hard-edged fourth line winger who finishes his checks ó is close to being available for selection should the Canucks suffer any damage in their bottom-six forward ranks.

Pinizzotto has been out since Nov. 24, when he suffered a partial tear in his groin. Surgery wasnít necessary, but he didnít expect it would keep him out this long.

Heís back practising with the team, but hasnít been cleared for contact yet.

ďIím pretty close (to playing), itís within two weeks,Ē said Pinizzotto. ďItís feeling pretty good. Iím not quite pain-free yet. Iím just getting back to being on the ice and feeling more confident. Itís something you canít rush.Ē

The Canucks signed the 6-foot-1, 200-pounder as a free agent in the summer of 2011 as part of an initiative to add some grit after losing to the Bruins in the Stanley Cup final.

It appeared he had an inside track on an NHL job after two preseason games, but in the third his attempted hit on huge San Jose defenceman Douglas Murray ended badly when a tumble into the boards seriously damaged his shoulder. The resulting surgery cost him the whole season.

Vancouver thought enough of Pinizzotto to re-sign him to another one-year, two-way deal ($600,000/$275,000) and he was having a good start to his season (4-6-10 in 17 games, 25 PIMs) when the groin injury struck, negating any chance of attending the Canucksí brief training camp in January.

Did the year off from playing games contribute to the injury? Maybe, but Pinizzotto says the hockey part of it was feeling good.

ďI felt like I was getting comfortable quickly,Ē he said. ďI was playing with some offensive guys and that was helping out. Now, coming off this injury, I feel Iím right up to par with the other guys, too.Ē

The reality is that Pinizzotto is still on the outside looking in. Thatís tough to take for a guy who got as far as the pre-game skate with Washington in March, 2009, before being scratched.

ďI feel like Iím one of the unluckiest guys in the sport right now,Ē he said. ďIím trying to bang down a door that has a deadbolt instead of a regular lock. I guess some things come easier for some guys, but thatís stuff you canít worry about. If it happens, it happens.Ē

© Copyright © The Province

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz2K9Eof87S

#2 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

He's been so unlucky with injuries, but i think he's a real solid bottom 6 winger when he gets healthy, always liked this guy.
Posted Image

#3 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,695 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

The only break Pinner can catch is on his body, no luck at all.

#4 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,275 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

He is a shade light and a half step slow. I cannot see who he will bump to the bench.

#5 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:38 PM

weise isnt doing anything right now

if he keeps it up slot pinozotto in when hes ready
Posted Image

#6 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

All due respect to Steve, but he's soon to be 29 years old and has never played an NHL game for a reason.
Posted Image

#7 Peace Bond

Peace Bond

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

When healthy, Pinizzotto in, Weise out.

#8 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

All due respect to Steve, but he's soon to be 29 years old and has never played an NHL game for a reason.

well the canucks were real high on him before both his injuries so im sure there still going to give him a shot

hes an grinder , not a guy wanting big minutes and big money , who cares what age he is

i swear the only people who think younger = better are dumb teenagers/ oiler fans

Edited by cIutch, 06 February 2013 - 12:44 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,983 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

Never let the dream die .. I hope he gets a chance ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#10 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

well the canucks were real high on him before both his injuries so im sure there still going to give him a shot

hes an grinder , not a guy wanting big minutes and big money , who cares what age he is

i swear the only people who think younger = better are dumb teenagers/ oiler fans

The Canucks were also high on Isbister, Richtie, and Marc Chouinard, Keith Carney and Eric Weinrich. Let me know how many players @ the old age of 29 have made the NHL and actually held onto a roster spot permanently. There's a reason why players like Pinozotto missed the boat
Posted Image

#11 4thLineGrinder

4thLineGrinder

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

he is a much better player than he has been able to showcase for us. He made the team 2 years ago with a stellar training camp then took one of those fluke injuries right before the season started. he has been playing injury catch up ever since

hard nosed grinder willing to get dirty with good instincts, GRIT! would love to see him get his chance in the big show

#12 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Horrible, horrible luck with the injury bug for Steve. If not for his injuries we might have seen him in a Canucks uni quite a while ago.

Hope he gets a shot.

RIP LB RR PD

#13 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

The Canucks were also high on Isbister, Richtie, and Marc Chouinard, Keith Carney and Eric Weinrich. Let me know how many players @ the old age of 29 have made the NHL and actually held onto a roster spot permanently. There's a reason why players like Pinozotto missed the boat

who cares about past players

hes going to play like 1 minute a night

once again , his age doesnt matter

and who cares if he doesnt hold onto a spot

why is this 4th line 3 shifts a night position this important to you

your acting like hes taking top six minutes or if the canucks give him a shot they lose anything

no one loses , if he does good , the canucks are happy , if he doesnt w/e its a 4th line spot

no ones hyping him up to be anything ,you're over thinking this bud

Edited by cIutch, 06 February 2013 - 12:58 PM.

Posted Image

#14 jono2009

jono2009

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

No harm or foul if he gets a chance. Keep an eye on Weise. Then pull up Pinner

#15 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

Eric Weinrich, didn't he retire after we picked him up at the deadline.
Posted Image

#16 Raffi Torres's Smirk

Raffi Torres's Smirk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

Torres 2.0? I'd be so amped to see him in the lineup.

#17 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:57 PM

Pinozotto

pinozotto

Pinizzotto

Pinozotto

One winner here, and a few unlucky ones.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#18 WL Canuck Fan

WL Canuck Fan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Eric Weinrich, didn't he retire after we picked him up at the deadline.

No, that would have been best. Instead, before he retired, he played the last 16 games of his NHL career for us, managing to be -13 in 16 games.
(Now to be honest I have respect for a 17 year veteran, we just caught him at the end of his career)
Sig too big.

#19 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:14 PM

I agree with u about the age, but u cant count him out completely, there is lots of late bloomers. Also, all the players u mentioned were Burke/Nonis era aquisitions. Safe to say GMMG and co. Have MUCH BETTER SCOUTING.

Give the guy a break, i hope he gets a shot.

#20 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,050 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:19 PM

Pinizzotto brings everything Weise does, except he can also provide offense.

Pinizzotto>>Weise

Pinizzotto - Lapierre - Volpatti

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#21 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

I feel sorry for the guy... but who wants an injury prone grinder?
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#22 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:48 PM

Pinizzotto brings everything Weise does, except he can also provide offense.

Pinizzotto>>Weise

Pinizzotto - Lapierre - Volpatti

Agreed. Pinizzotto's 0 points in 0 games is remarkable.
Posted Image

#23 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

who cares about past players

hes going to play like 1 minute a night

once again , his age doesnt matter

and who cares if he doesnt hold onto a spot

why is this 4th line 3 shifts a night position this important to you

your acting like hes taking top six minutes or if the canucks give him a shot they lose anything

no one loses , if he does good , the canucks are happy , if he doesnt w/e its a 4th line spot

no ones hyping him up to be anything ,you're over thinking this bud

Of course his age matters. How many players in their late 20's are rookies? None. Because they all had the ability to make the NHL many years earlier. Unless Steve pulls a miracle out of his ass I really don't see him providing anything more than the guys we've already got slotted on the fourth. Even though Weise has done nothing thus far I would still play Dale over him because at least his potential is obviously greater and he's five years younger.

I think you guys are over thinking this. I haven't even heard a good reason why he should be played over someone else
Posted Image

#24 klw604

klw604

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

When he was a ufa. All 29 teams were looking at pizz. He decided to choose the Canucks because he was offered a higher Ahl salary. He is one of the higher paid Ahl-ers in the league.

He's a good 4th liner that is willing to drop the mitts and can skate well.

#25 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

He should bulk up some more so he doesnt break a bone everytime he hits someone hard lol.

#26 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

I don't think his body will let him get in NHL, sorry to say. He looks great in games sometimes but injuries happen so often.
Posted Image

#27 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

Torres 2.0? I'd be so amped to see him in the lineup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJxebcGYYtQ

Damn that was a big hit.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#28 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,319 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

Stevie's our Rocky Balboa :towel:

Never let the dream die .. I hope he gets a chance ..

Hey, also with all due respect 3rd and 4th line positions often go to the guy playing with the most desperation.

Isbister had more talent than Pinner, but never made it cuz he never played with desparation. Guys, like Manny and Torres, did because they learned they were goint to wash out unless they adjusted.

Pinnizotto plays with that desparation. If his body allows it; he'll get a shot!

#29 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,668 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Stevie's our Rocky Balboa :towel:

Hey, also with all due respect 3rd and 4th line positions often go to the guy playing with the most desperation.

Isbister had more talent than Pinner, but never made it cuz he never played with desparation. Guys, like Manny and Torres, did because they learned they were goint to wash out unless they adjusted.

Pinnizotto plays with that desparation. If his body allows it; he'll get a shot!

We'll just have to wait and see. If desperation = NHL roster spot, we'd all be in the NHL.
Posted Image

#30 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I would love for him to be called up. Hopefully he gets an opportunity when he becomes healthy.

Would have last season if he wasn't injured.

zackass.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.