The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Management needs to decide the future of this Franchise

Sedinry

You talk a lot about goaltending but scoring in the playoffs is one of the teams biggest issues. Yeah they can trade a goalie for an offensive forward but where is he gonna play? The top two lines are basically already full when healthy.

You have to wonder if the players the team has now can score in the playoffs, but also who is going to be taking over from these guys. How long can Henrik be a #1 Center and who is gonna take over from him. How do you get a #1 center if not through the draft.

With Schneider, Edler, Tanev, Kassian and Jensen they have some of the pieces that atleast give some hope, but without a #1 center it doesn't mean much.

So, I went on more than I wanted to. This is the conclusion I wanted to make. With the team we have, I think our best bet is to attempt to win now. The dilemma then becomes, do we keep both goalies and go with whoever is playing better at the time? Or do we trade one for something that will put us over the top? If we take the trade route, given his age and potential, I think Cory would bring a better return. And we are not limited to where he can go. Lou has the NTC, so there is a limited market there, given the limited number of teams he would accept a move to. Cory does not have that luxury, so we could find the absolute best deal available and pull the trigger. I want to go on record as saying that I am not a huge fan of trading away a potential franchise goalie who I believe is only 26? But if that gives us the best chance to bring home a Cup now, then I say do it. If we could improve the team that much by trading Cory, we'd be contending not only this year, but for the next few years as well. I want to win now, and I think Lou gives us the best chance to do so.

Why is everyone so conserned about winning the cup now? Does luongo really put us over the edge that much that we are garanteed to win. I think people are putting to much emphasis on counting on a goalie being the deciding factor of whether we win the cup. Not every year the best team is going to win the cup. It has a lot more to do with other factors such as; injuries, player fatigue, and hot streaks. Jonathan Quick was really good last year, but so was his team, dustin brown, kopitar, richards, carter. mitchell, Even the role players brought it up a level. Schneider and Luongo give us realatively the same shot at the cup. Luongo isn't that MUCH (if at all) better than cory. I honestly believe by keeping cory we remain competive for more years to come. What happens if we trade Luo and then Daniel gets cheap shotted again heading into playoffs. You can't go make or break since you don't know what all will happen. I'd far rather this team continue to build to be successful year and year out for the next 10 years.

One thing I do have to point out is you may think Luongo can play as this level till he's 40 but you have to remember He's in a different market than Broduer and Thomas well he already showed its taken its toll and needed a break. As a hockey market goalie it would be extremely mentally draining on the person dealing with the pressure year after year. Luongo has already given this team 6 rough years where the fans go hot and cold on him. That is the big difference between goalies who can still play great when there older, they have no pressure they're still playing in net becuase it's fun. Not many goalies can handle that mental tuffness for that many years. I do think Luongo has the ability to play great for 5-6 more years, just not in vancouver. Florida has a few more benefits than just his wife's family is living there.

Thought I'd see what others think of our organization as a whole.

We are currently at a crossroads with the core decision being our goaltending.

However the way I see it is we have 2 choices.

First of all, we have decide if this team wants to fully rebuild and go on a fire sale and start over or contend for the cup. This seems like an easy question but the heart of it belongs to our goaltending.

Cory Schneider's early "lapse" simply states that he's got things to learn, and of course he does, he's a new goalie to a market where Goalies get scrutinized more than a criminal.

But the fact remains, Luongo has gotten immense experience and in the past 2 years since the SCF has done alot of growing up. He is mentally tougher and the way he handles Media is 10-fold from before.

Cory Schneider has yet to come into these "hardships" and face the hardships of being a #1 goalie.

This will take time, and will take time to get to a cup. We're not a team who is easy on a goalie and would love for Schneids to be Cam Ward and usurp the #1 position. Instead we would scrutinize him the whole way through.

Which leads to the fact that if the Canucks want to contend for the Cup and they will be able to do so for the next 4-5 years, they can get assets to help them by trading Schneider. If they feel that they want to rebuild, then trading Luongo now is the right choice, along with the Sedin's and our other star players for high draft picks.

I believe this is the reality of our situation and the correct choice belongs to which Goalie gets traded for what picks. At this point Schneider would give us a higher return but I think we all know that Lu is an elite goalie that can win this team the Cup and if we want to contend, it's better off that we keep him, other wise Gillis should trade Lu and start to shop our main players to keep our team successful in the years to come rather than have a drop off as we did in the late 90's.

I'm still not convinced about our forwards even with Kesler and Booth in the lineup. Either of the goaltenders is great and our defense is coming around, but scoring in the playoffs is still going to be a problem with this group unless we get really lucky. A move to address that is in order, but may not be available yet.

Thought I'd see what others think of our organization as a whole.

We are currently at a crossroads with the core decision being our goaltending.

However the way I see it is we have 2 choices.

First of all, we have decide if this team wants to fully rebuild and go on a fire sale and start over or contend for the cup. This seems like an easy question but the heart of it belongs to our goaltending.

Cory Schneider's early "lapse" simply states that he's got things to learn, and of course he does, he's a new goalie to a market where Goalies get scrutinized more than a criminal.

But the fact remains, Luongo has gotten immense experience and in the past 2 years since the SCF has done alot of growing up. He is mentally tougher and the way he handles Media is 10-fold from before.

Cory Schneider has yet to come into these "hardships" and face the hardships of being a #1 goalie.

This will take time, and will take time to get to a cup. We're not a team who is easy on a goalie and would love for Schneids to be Cam Ward and usurp the #1 position. Instead we would scrutinize him the whole way through.

Which leads to the fact that if the Canucks want to contend for the Cup and they will be able to do so for the next 4-5 years, they can get assets to help them by trading Schneider. If they feel that they want to rebuild, then trading Luongo now is the right choice, along with the Sedin's and our other star players for high draft picks.

I believe this is the reality of our situation and the correct choice belongs to which Goalie gets traded for what picks. At this point Schneider would give us a higher return but I think we all know that Lu is an elite goalie that can win this team the Cup and if we want to contend, it's better off that we keep him, other wise Gillis should trade Lu and start to shop our main players to keep our team successful in the years to come rather than have a drop off as we did in the late 90's.

Archived