55 replies to this topic

#1 RIP Ripper

RIP Ripper

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

I have no allegiance to either of these teams, nor do I care for either of these players. However, I do think the league needs to consider supplemental discipline to players who cross the line like Rinaldo did in his fight with Crombeen. I am not debating the role of fighting in the game, I enjoy the odd fight as much as the next guy. However, it is very dangerous and should be treated as such, not unlike a check from behind or any other major penalty situation. If a player takes advantage of another player in a vulnerable position in a fight as Rinaldo did there should be supplemental discipline in the form of suspension or fine,

#2 Prngr44

Prngr44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,487 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

Got a link? Haven't seen this yet.
I hate the Canucks so much they're my second favorite team.
Posted Image

#3 Kass9

Kass9

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:51 PM

Should never hit a guy when he's down and out.

#4 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,409 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Not a surprise move coming from Rinaldo. Classless.

Career-threatening knockout there.
Posted Image

#5 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,167 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:32 PM

they showed the audio inside the arena during the fight and after talking to the ref on hockeycentral

ref said that he was ok throwing the punches while crombeen is falling down

i got mixed feelings about this i know there is adrenaline going its tough to stop and everything but a lot of fights when the guy goes down or starts to go down the player usually stops throwing punches should of been fined to actually send a message if not a 1 game suspension

Edited by captaincanuck88, 06 February 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#6 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

they showed the audio inside the arena during the fight and after talking to the ref on hockeycentral

ref said that he was ok throwing the punches while crombeen is falling down

i got mixed feelings about this i know there is adrenaline going its tough to stop and everything but a lot of fights when the guy goes down or starts to go down the player usually stops throwing punches should of been fined to actually send a message if not a 1 game suspension

He wasnt laying on the ice when Rinaldo made the extra punches, he was falling down and in boxing for example, you punch till the guy is down.

#7 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,370 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

Nothing wrong with that at all.
Just a good ol' fashioned beat down.

Edited by Jägermeister, 06 February 2013 - 03:39 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Dragonfruits

Dragonfruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,167 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:42 PM

He wasnt laying on the ice when Rinaldo made the extra punches, he was falling down and in boxing for example, you punch till the guy is down.

doesn't make it right like i said there are fights where a guy is going down the player stops throwing punches so obviously some players know when to stop and realize when a guy is defenseless the league should of looked into because if their going to overreact with hits they should do the same when a fight ends like this

#9 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

That's a good 'ol fashioned beatdown. Nothing dirty about that. He wasn't on the ice getting his head pounded, just on the way down.

#10 DIBdaQUIB

DIBdaQUIB

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

Rinaldo cuts it pretty fine but stops just as Crombeen hits the ice.

Interesting that this fight was brought on by Crombeen's constant slashing of Giroux's wrists during the game...Giroux coming off wrist surgery.

Which is more classless?

Edited by DIBdaQUIB, 06 February 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#11 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

He was falling down in other words he wasn't ON the ice. Perfectly legal.

Posted Image

#12 RIP Ripper

RIP Ripper

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

For me it just doesn't "fit" with everything else going on in the league. Again, not a problem with fighting. Certainly a place for it in the game, especially if a guy is slashing your superstars wrists. However, when a player is in a vulnerable position and is taken advantage of there needs to be some consideration for his safety.

#13 Malkin Cookies

Malkin Cookies

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:16 PM

Legal fight, no problems with it
Posted Image

Thanks to Justdean10 for the sig

#14 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Striking a downed opponent in a hockey fight used to be fairly commonplace up until around 20 or so years ago. Since then it's sort of been considered 'against the code'. In this case, Rinaldo wanted to really hurt his opponent and he accomplished his goal. His explanation is full of crap.

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#15 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:21 PM

It's not cool that he did it, but I don't think he deserves a suspension for it.

#16 Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Your New Coach Mr. Tippett

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:33 PM

It was fine, in real time it didn't seem out of place or cheap.

What I find RETARDED is that this is getting SO MUCH PRESS.  They are talking about it right now during the Bos/MTL game on TSN, watch the Lecavalier fight later in that same game.

Lecavalier throws 2-3 more punches when the guy he was fighting was DOWN AND OUT, clearly.

But Vinny gets a pass.

Edited by Piece of Tie, 06 February 2013 - 10:04 PM.

My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. Whats really goin on down there? Who is the real hero?

#17 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,925 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:02 PM

Rinaldo should be playing soccer
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#18 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:12 PM

I thought Lecaviers punch on Talbot when he was down was probably dirtier. Almost had a retaliatory feel to it aswell

#19 Lafayettecrossbar

Lafayettecrossbar

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

It's a pretty fine line there... I find punching a guy when he's down to be one of the most despicable things to do in hockey but this didn't seem like that to me; he just clocked him real good twice on the way down.

That's too bad, I didn't see the game but if B.J. was hacking at Giroux's wrists like another poster mentioned, then he had something coming to him. I mean, it's the Flyers.
BERGFORS IS NO FORSBERG.

Armstrong-Legwand-Backes
Foote-Finger
Hedberg

#20 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

It was fine, in real time it didn't seem out of place or cheap.

What I find RETARDED is that this is getting SO MUCH PRESS. They are talking about it right now during the Bos/MTL game on TSN, watch the Lecavalier fight later in this same guy.

Lecavalier throws 2-3 more punches when the guy he was fighting was DOWN AND OUT, clearly.

But Vinny gets a pass.

Completely agree...Vinnys was way worse IMO.
Posted Image

#21 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:05 PM

Vinny's was payback .. is that not clear to you all? .. the last punch by Rinaldo crossed the line .. Vinny stayed across the line, as he should have ..
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#22 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

Vinny's was payback .. is that not clear to you all? .. the last punch by Rinaldo crossed the line .. Vinny stayed across the line, as he should have ..

I didn't think Rinaldos crossed the line.
Posted Image

#23 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:17 PM

I didn't think Rinaldos crossed the line.

I thought the last punch did .. if that was a Canuck being hit folks would feel differently I think .. I am un-biased .. I thought it was totally over the line ..
"To Thine Own Self Be True"

#24 Raymond Ballard and a 1st

Raymond Ballard and a 1st

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

If anyone thinks that's a suspension, Raffie Torres should get a permanent ban from hockey

#25 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,346 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:27 PM

I thought the last punch did .. if that was a Canuck being hit folks would feel differently I think .. I am un-biased .. I thought it was totally over the line ..

I'm sure some Canuck fans would feel differently. Not I. I cannot fault Rinaldo for completing his objective. Vinnys was obvious overkill. IMO
Posted Image

#26 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,949 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:33 PM

Completely agree...Vinnys was way worse IMO.

That's how I feel. This was just a spirited tilt with emotions, but Vinny was punching a guy on the ice with the refs trying to separte, and he throws an extra cheap shot. Vinny's was worse, imo.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#27 Crom!

Crom!

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

Don't most hockey goons train in MMA,or at least with MMA fighters in the offseason? What do you expect? You keep punching until Herb Dean jumps between you and your opponent.

#28 Rypien37

Rypien37

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,276 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Those of you who think this was cheap in anyway have either never been in a fight or do not know of the rules surrounding fighting in the NHL.

Rinaldo was simply doing his job while trying to keep Crombeen in check after a hit on Scheen. In that kind of situation, you have adrenaline pumping through you and you keeping going until the fight gets stopped.

There was no punches thrown when Crombeen actually hit the ice, unlike what Vinny did to Talbot.

Of course I feel really bad for BJ and wish him the best, but this was a good clean fight that Zack won.
Posted Image

R.I.P. Your heart and fearlessness will be remembered

#29 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:45 PM

Those of you who think this was cheap in anyway have either never been in a fight or do not know of the rules surrounding fighting in the NHL.

Rinaldo was simply doing his job while trying to keep Crombeen in check after a hit on Scheen. In that kind of situation, you have adrenaline pumping through you and you keeping going until the fight gets stopped.

There was no punches thrown when Crombeen actually hit the ice, unlike what Vinny did to Talbot.

Of course I feel really bad for BJ and wish him the best, but this was a good clean fight that Zack won.

He was on his knees, to me that is down. That being said a lot of guys get up and keep fighting so I have trouble faulting Rinaldo for continuing. That being said the last punch crossed the line but it came so fast it's difficult to say if Rinaldo knew he was out before he threw it. I'm on the fence on this one.

Rypien always let up when the other guy went down, or at least that is how I like to remember him. I always respected him for that.

Posted Image

#30 NZCanuck

NZCanuck

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:49 PM

Personally think that you should lay-off as an opponent is going down however if he was slashing the wrists of Giroux as others have said then he deserves the extra shot on the way down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.