The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rinaldo vs Crombeen

RIP Ripper

I have no allegiance to either of these teams, nor do I care for either of these players. However, I do think the league needs to consider supplemental discipline to players who cross the line like Rinaldo did in his fight with Crombeen. I am not debating the role of fighting in the game, I enjoy the odd fight as much as the next guy. However, it is very dangerous and should be treated as such, not unlike a check from behind or any other major penalty situation. If a player takes advantage of another player in a vulnerable position in a fight as Rinaldo did there should be supplemental discipline in the form of suspension or fine,

they showed the audio inside the arena during the fight and after talking to the ref on hockeycentral

ref said that he was ok throwing the punches while crombeen is falling down

i got mixed feelings about this i know there is adrenaline going its tough to stop and everything but a lot of fights when the guy goes down or starts to go down the player usually stops throwing punches should of been fined to actually send a message if not a 1 game suspension

they showed the audio inside the arena during the fight and after talking to the ref on hockeycentral

ref said that he was ok throwing the punches while crombeen is falling down

i got mixed feelings about this i know there is adrenaline going its tough to stop and everything but a lot of fights when the guy goes down or starts to go down the player usually stops throwing punches should of been fined to actually send a message if not a 1 game suspension

For me it just doesn't "fit" with everything else going on in the league. Again, not a problem with fighting. Certainly a place for it in the game, especially if a guy is slashing your superstars wrists. However, when a player is in a vulnerable position and is taken advantage of there needs to be some consideration for his safety.

Striking a downed opponent in a hockey fight used to be fairly commonplace up until around 20 or so years ago. Since then it's sort of been considered 'against the code'. In this case, Rinaldo wanted to really hurt his opponent and he accomplished his goal. His explanation is full of crap.

It was fine, in real time it didn't seem out of place or cheap.

What I find RETARDED is that this is getting SO MUCH PRESS.  They are talking about it right now during the Bos/MTL game on TSN, watch the Lecavalier fight later in that same game.

Lecavalier throws 2-3 more punches when the guy he was fighting was DOWN AND OUT, clearly.

But Vinny gets a pass.

It's a pretty fine line there... I find punching a guy when he's down to be one of the most despicable things to do in hockey but this didn't seem like that to me; he just clocked him real good twice on the way down.

That's too bad, I didn't see the game but if B.J. was hacking at Giroux's wrists like another poster mentioned, then he had something coming to him. I mean, it's the Flyers.

It was fine, in real time it didn't seem out of place or cheap.

What I find RETARDED is that this is getting SO MUCH PRESS. They are talking about it right now during the Bos/MTL game on TSN, watch the Lecavalier fight later in this same guy.

Lecavalier throws 2-3 more punches when the guy he was fighting was DOWN AND OUT, clearly.

But Vinny gets a pass.

Archived